“updated review”

Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Burnham-On-Sea, United Kingdom
“updated review”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

once again a very pleasant stay at the Chy-an- Albany, we have always found all staff here to be very friendly and helpful from the initial greeting in reception to the hardworking staff who wait upon your every need. room 7 is a large family room with balcony overlooking the bay, kept clean and replenished daily by housekeeping.
Breakfast extremely good with help yourself buffet, or a good selection of cooked meals to order.
In the evening you have a choice to eat from the simple menu in the bar to the more sophisticated lighthouse bistro, both equally as good.
from the hotel cross the road, down the slope to the lovely Porthminster beach, from which it is an easy stroll into beautiful St. Ives. probably easiest to return via the main road. this was our third visit to this hotel and can not wait to return again

1 Thank bob b

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Cornwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013

we have just stayed at chy an Albany for one night while attending a function at another hotel nearby. based on the fact that we were only there for a short period , we were very impressed with the hotel and staff. our room at the rear of the hotel was small but clean , comfortable and quiet. it was equipped with all that you need. all the staff were friendly and helpful and the full Cornish breakfast was "ansum"! I don't think you could find better accommodation for the cost. we were very impressed and will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: basic room was fine. you choose if you want sea view or not.
1 Thank zzanon68
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2013

You get what you pay for. Cheap is cheap for a reason This was a book it and be there 5 hours later. The staff were very pleasant apart from the night porter. He is a nasty little man.
The smallest double room I have ever not slept in. Yes, not slept in. If it wasn't the 2 women in the room next to ours talking till the early hours. It was then every time they moved, the headboard banged against the adjoining wall. Our bed head was against that wall. It was like having woody woodpecker next to our heads all night. The rooms are very dated but clean. The shower was very feeble. I have had more fluid from my nose during a summer cold. We were due to stay for 2 nights. We left the first morning. Didn't even bother with breakfast. Glad we did. We found a great B & B. Love St Ives. I thought with age comes knowledge, I am still making mistakes when I try to save a £ or 2.

Room Tip: Don't have the cheap rooms. There is no sound insulation between them.
North Somerset
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Booked three nights here as we had a family wedding to attend at another hotel. Luckily we found a parking space at the front, but there is a large, easily accessible car park at the rear. Received a very warm welcome. Our room was basic, but clean and tidy, with a large, comfortable bed and all necessary facilities - tea/coffee, Cornish Fairings!

We ate in the Lighthouse restaurant within the hotel and had a wonderful meal, we had scallops on hogs pudding to start - delicious, and my partner had steak and chunky chips, I had chicken supreme in prosciutto and pastry, with a peppercorn sauce which was beautiful. We had an excellent bottle of wine and paid £61. We have eaten food of a similar quality before and paid a great deal more.

Breakfast was equally good, usually buffet style, but with the added bonus of an additional menu (inclusive) salmon/scrambled eggs, eggs benedict etc.

Staff were warm and welcoming, extremely helpful and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. We try and visit St Ives once a year and the location is ideal, a gentle 10 minute stroll into the heart of the town. And the views from both the bar and the restaurant are simply stunning.

Room Tip: Paying extra would give you a sea view room - but we spend more time outside than in!
1 Thank Debby027
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2013

The location of this hotel takes some beating, tho' finding the large rear car park wasn't easy (the car park at the front is very small).
On arrival, we were totally ignored by the two members of staff in the reception back-office, even though one of them at least saw us there. After about 7 minutes standing twiddling our thumbs another staff member turned up (back from her lunchbreak maybe?) and checked us in. she asked if we'd rang the bell for attention, to which our reply was "what bell?". Turns out there's a tiny bell-push on the wall which was actually hidden by tourist leaflets.
Not a great start.
Our room was fine - a deluxe sea-view room on the second floor. Plenty of storage space, pillows and towels, and the en-suite bathroom was pretty big with one of those baths that has a 'lump' at one end to make extra room for showering. Just a pity that the 'bath' end was a bit narrow!
The following morning we had to report two problems - the heated towel-rail wasn't heating, and for some reason the TV had stopped working (it had been fine the previous evening). The receptionist promised to get things sorted while we were out that day.
Breakfast was fine, but can't toast be made in the kitchen, as it's always better that way than from those DIY machines - putting the bread through once barely browns it, but twice through burns it black.
We spent the day away from the hotel, and were greeted on our return with the news that our reported problems couldn't be fixed, so would we care to change rooms? The room offered was much bigger than our original one, and we were happy with this arrangement.
We ate in the Lighthouse Bistro that evening - main courses of belly pork and chicken, with sticky toffee pudding and bread-and-butter pudding for desserts. All nicely cooked and presented.
On checking out, the receptionist reduced our bill by £20 for the inconvenience of having to change rooms, which was a nice gesture.
Would we stay here again? Well, yes, but we would hope that before we do the staff are reminded that guests standing at the reception desk probably would like some attention, even if they haven't found the call-bell.

Room Tip: It's worth paying for a deluxe room for the sea views alone, as the standard ones just overlook...
Julia B, Manager at Chy-An-Albany, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
Thank you for your comments in regards to your recent stay at the hotel, it is always nice have feedback to allow us to make improvements if & where required.

I am sorry to hear that your arrival and check in was not satisfactory. I have investigated this and must stress that this is not our normal welcome. The people you mention were actually 3rd party contractors doing work within the offices and unfortunately the receptionist on duty was away from the desk for a short period of time attending to other guests checking in. I apologise sincerely if you felt ignored as my staff would never do this intentionally and there is a bell available if required. We also are happy to explain directions to the back car park in addition to the map provided at reception & on the front of the hotel entrance.

I am however pleased that you were greeted when the afternoon receptionist began her shift and attended to you straight away. I hope you can accept our apologies for keeping you waiting.

I am happy that you liked your room. I am aware of the breakages you encountered and I can assure you that the problems were inspected whilst you were out during the day but new parts were required so unfortunately the issues could not be fixed ready for your return. To ensure that your stay was not inconvenienced any further a room upgrade was organised for you to move straight into on your return as close to your initial room. Help was offered to your new room and a discount was agreed for the inconvenience caused.

In regards to the toasting machine; I completely take on board your comments, however this service allows guests to toast their own toast to their own preference. We would always happily provide toast on request with the breakfast menu which is served straight from the kitchen.

I also would like to thank you for your nice comments about your dining experience. I am pleased you enjoyed our food and service in the Lighthouse Bistro during the evening.

We appreciate you being so understanding in regards to the issues and hope you enjoyed your time in St Ives. I do hope that in future you might return back to the Chy an Albany Hotel and experience the professional and personal approach that we strive to achieve.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2013

my husband and i deceided to take a winter break of four days to beautiful st ives, well what a shame our choice of hotel was so poor. we arrived on a sunday evening the drive way up to the hotel was so poorly lit and parking was just dredful we finally found our way in the lady was pleasant enough but had no customer service training. we made our way up to the third floor only to have to return to the reception again as were had not been given a room number.we entered room 40 well this room was sold to us as a delux duble room it may have been delux about thirty years ago the bathroom was like a shoe cupboard very damp, smelly and dirty, dirty show head dusty light fittings and rusty plug chains etc. there should have been a notice up warning guests that the towel rail and shower are dangerously hot and can burn.the bedroom was far from delux who puts a kettle on a shelf under another shelf health and safety issue there, the bed it self had definatley seen better days i think out with the old and in with the new would be the thing to do.the breafast room lacked atmosphere and warmth it was a route march to the buffet and the staff need hospitality training on our last morning a young lady with bobbed hair said sit by the window as we are clearing up it was only nine o clock and breakfast was served until nine thirty, surely for delux payment a bowl of porridge or an omelette should be on the menu especially in the winter.this hotel should be a budget hotel and not 3 star, shame on the aa for awarding this. we would not reccomend this place to anyone neaver mind our family and friends what a great shame.

Room Tip: do not choose chy an albany hotel
2 Thank roy c
Julia B, Manager at Chy-An-Albany, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel after your 4 night break. I have had time to investigate your queries & feel I should respond to certain comments

Due to a maintenance issue one set of lights in the rear garden had tripped & although noted unfortunately could not be repaired until the following morning when the electrician could attend the fault. I can confirm that our gardens & car park are usually adequately lit, but I can understand your concerns regarding the unexpected light problem.

On check in- you were attended to & advised by the receptionist on duty of all the relevant check-in information required for your stay. I apologise if your room number was not made clear to you at the time, however we always offer to show guests to their room.

We are conscious that some guests have travelled long distances and on arrival try to be accommodating to all guests who may appreciate time to settle following their journey. I genuinely apologise if you felt let down.

Finding my staff unhelpful and requiring training comes as quite a shock as we try very hard as a team to warmly welcome guests to the hotel and help with any requests you have to the best of our abilities.

Breakfast is served from 8.00am until 9.30am. During this time the cold & hot buffets are replenished to provide all guests with equal offerings. I am sorry if you felt rushed as the waitress, who at the time was clearing & preparing other tables, suggested you may like a table by the window with a sea view and seated you promptly on your arrival at breakfast before finishing the task she was doing then returning to assist you. I can also confirm that our a la carte breakfast menu is always available, in which porridge is available during the winter and can be ordered with one of the breakfast team.

It is disappointing that you did not approach us during your stay; my staff and I are always happy to help. If given the opportunity we would have been able to address any issues you had immediately and hopefully provide an alternative room.

I am saddened to hear that you did not enjoy your stay fully, however please be assured that the issues you have raised have been noted and action will be taken in hopefully insuring your recent grievances are not repeated.
Pontypridd
Reviewed 9 November 2013

My wife and I stayed for one night prior to a one week self catering stay on the harbour front. Although we booked the lowest priced room it was a decent size and spotlessly clean. Perhaps because we managed to get one of the spaces at the front of the hotel we found parking a breeze. The checking in arrangements were simple and the staff on reception extremely friendly. The same can be said for the staff at breakfast. All were very attentive. The breakfast itself was a buffet affair and it was very good. Although, for a longer stay, I prefer to stay closer to the town centre/beaches, the walk from the Chy An Albany to town is by no means a killer. All in all I am happy to recommend this hotel to visitors to St Ives.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple