“Dreadful stay”
Review of Chy-An-Albany

Chy-An-Albany
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a few times and always had average stays at reasonably cheap rates. This time however, we had an awful stay. Unfortunately I have tried to speak to someone about it whilst I was there, send an email, left messages etc since Ive been back before I wrote a review on here but unfortunately despite promises to get back to me, no one has so I feel like I should write a review on here.
The stay started badly with a blunt receptionist and a room key that didnt work but that wasn't the end of the world.
The room was very small and for the money I think the size of room and bathroom was appalling. Im not a large person (a size 10) but I found the bathroom difficult to manoeuvre in. The breakfast was greasy, cold and disgusting. We went an hour before breakfast ended so expected everything to be hotter and fresher. So disappointed. Will never stay here again! Mostly disappointed with the fact that no one has contacted me despite several attempts to speak to someone!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CHARLOTTE A
Julia B, Manager at Chy-An-Albany, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2013

I would like to take this opportunity to address the issues that you have raised.

On arrival we endeavour to offer a warm welcome giving general information about the hotel facilities and meal times before assisting guests to their rooms. Unfortunately check in times can sometimes be rather busy and it is not always possible to take every guest to their individual rooms & help with the key card door locks, so I am sorry you had trouble using your key.

We have a varied selection of rooms, some smaller than others. All rooms are ensuite although with the very nature of our period building not all are of a spacious size. We provide a selection of toiletries along with bath & hand towels in all rooms. For guests requiring a more spacious bedroom & bathroom we would recommend one of our deluxe sea view rooms.

It is very disappointing to read that you found the breakfast ‘cold & disgusting’ and it alarms me that if, as you mention, had brought this to the attention of our staff at the time of your stay the situation was not addressed immediately. Although we offer a buffet style breakfast, which is continuously refreshed during breakfast service, all guests are also offered our breakfast menu which is available to order from the kitchen.

All feedback is welcome & any complaints, brought to our attention, taken very seriously. On this occasion I am very confident that our staff did respond to your email contact immediately & also the reception manager tried to make telephone contact, leaving several messages.

It is with great regret that you found your last visit not to be up to the same standard you previously experienced here at The Chy an Albany Hotel, as you have stayed with us ‘a few times’ I trust that you were happy on all the other occasions which prompted you to return to us.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Having taken early retirement I began an Art Degree, and needed to take a trip to St Ives to see an exhibition in the Tate. I hate traveling alone, but my Wife made it easy by suggesting I go on the train, as 5 hours in the car is not my idea of fun! I duly arrived at St Ives station, and climbed the steep path to the main road. The hotel was just a short way up the road, overlooking the bay. It has great views from dining room and bar. The entrance is a bit odd, but once inside, that really does not matter. I had booked a cheap rate room for one, so did not expect much in the way of a bedroom. The bedroom was quite small, but spotless, with TV, tea making facilities, shower en suite. All I needed. I was going to the village for food but looked at the menu and thought I'd give it a try. Gin and tonic in a very pleasant bar took the strain of a 5.5 hour train away. I was really surprised at the standard of cooking. Confit of Duck came shredded with salad and pieces of duck breast on a white oblong plate. Delicious. For main I had a Haddock Kedgeree with mildly curried rice and a poached egg on top. Not my usual choice...but so glad I chose this. Absolutely superb.
As it was a Monday and having a Gallery Day on the following day I did not bother with more booze or a pudding, which I do not eat. What a great meal! A great nights sleep followers by breakfast of Eggs Benedict...Poached Eggs on Muffins with Hollandaise Sauce. I kid you not...heaven on a plate! A quick walk into St Ives and a day trying hard to be intellectual! The staff are very helpful and friendly, and we shall return!

Room Tip: If you can get a sea view, great!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank David H
Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

We love this hotel, our 4th stay here. The views are lovely, the staff are really friendly and it's in a great position.

Our room was spacious and they upgraded us because it was our anniversary. They always treat us like we are special.

We love st Ives and never stay anywhere else

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank suzi32
Reviewed 2 December 2013

The hotel is in a great position with lovely views over the sea. Our attic bedroom was a disappointment, it was small and with its garish, frilly curtains it took me back to the early nineties.
I couldn't have stayed there for long so glad we'd only booked for one night. It was clean though and the staff were all lovely. We ate in the lighthouse bistro and the food was excellent as was breakfast the next morning.

Room Tip: Avoid the top floor
Reviewed 23 November 2013

once again a very pleasant stay at the Chy-an- Albany, we have always found all staff here to be very friendly and helpful from the initial greeting in reception to the hardworking staff who wait upon your every need. room 7 is a large family room with balcony overlooking the bay, kept clean and replenished daily by housekeeping.
Breakfast extremely good with help yourself buffet, or a good selection of cooked meals to order.
In the evening you have a choice to eat from the simple menu in the bar to the more sophisticated lighthouse bistro, both equally as good.
from the hotel cross the road, down the slope to the lovely Porthminster beach, from which it is an easy stroll into beautiful St. Ives. probably easiest to return via the main road. this was our third visit to this hotel and can not wait to return again

1  Thank bob b
Reviewed 23 November 2013

we have just stayed at chy an Albany for one night while attending a function at another hotel nearby. based on the fact that we were only there for a short period , we were very impressed with the hotel and staff. our room at the rear of the hotel was small but clean , comfortable and quiet. it was equipped with all that you need. all the staff were friendly and helpful and the full Cornish breakfast was "ansum"! I don't think you could find better accommodation for the cost. we were very impressed and will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: basic room was fine. you choose if you want sea view or not.
1  Thank zzanon68
Reviewed 20 November 2013

You get what you pay for. Cheap is cheap for a reason This was a book it and be there 5 hours later. The staff were very pleasant apart from the night porter. He is a nasty little man.
The smallest double room I have ever not slept in. Yes, not slept in. If it wasn't the 2 women in the room next to ours talking till the early hours. It was then every time they moved, the headboard banged against the adjoining wall. Our bed head was against that wall. It was like having woody woodpecker next to our heads all night. The rooms are very dated but clean. The shower was very feeble. I have had more fluid from my nose during a summer cold. We were due to stay for 2 nights. We left the first morning. Didn't even bother with breakfast. Glad we did. We found a great B & B. Love St Ives. I thought with age comes knowledge, I am still making mistakes when I try to save a £ or 2.

Room Tip: Don't have the cheap rooms. There is no sound insulation between them.