“Long weekend” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Long weekend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

Yet again we have had a wonderful stay.Room very clean and tidy although the bathroom was very small,but value for money.The breakfasts again were excellent and the staff could not have been any more helpful.Booking in and out has never been a problem,cant complain about any of the staff.Will be seeing you again very soon.

Room Tip: Even though our room was fine i will be getting a sea view room next time.Thats what its all about i...
3 Thank ian-gazza

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

We stayed in a Deluxe Sea View room for a weekend. We'd originally booked a Studio Apartment, but were changed due to a double booking thanks to a certain online hotel room booking company! The staff at the hotel were extremely apologetic and did everything possible to make things right. Have to say, I was very happy with the room change as it was HUGE and had a great view down to the seafront with a very spacious balcony - perfect for morning coffee in the morning or a glass or two of wine watching the beautiful sunset.

During our stay, all the staff were really friendly and always willing to help. Anything to make our stay more comfortable. Although it isn't right in the centre of St Ives, it just a short, and very scenic walk.

Will definitely be visiting again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Paul F
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

We booked the Chy-An-Albany for a pre-Christmas getaway in December 2013. We chose the hotel largely due to the price of the Deluxe sea view room (which was on offer) and the hotel's proximity to the town and beaches (only 5-10 minutes walk down the hill). The room was a really good size with a balcony overlooking the Porthminster beach (I'd definitely recommend the upgrade to a seaview room). Breakfast (included in the booking) is cooked to order and always lovely, although I wouldn't recommend having the full fry up everyday as it is big. The staff were fantastic and always very friendly. The hotel also has ample parking and is easy to access in St Ives winding streets. I'd definitely book again.

For dinner try the Sea Food cafe on Fore street, the Crab and Rum shack overlooking the harbour or the Sloop inn also in the harbour.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a sea view room if you can.
3 Thank RebRedd
Somerset UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

Having read the poor reviews we were not expecting too much but couldn't resist the incredible bargain price. Yes the room was small but perfectly adequate and very clean. A busy winter weekend saw the hotel pretty well full but at night it was one of the quietest hotels I have stayed in. Only used the restaurant for breakfasts and they were excellent, both the buffet service at the weekend and the 'cooked to order' service after the weekend when it was much quieter. Staff were friendly, competent and professional so overall a very pleasant stay which we will certainly repeat.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tombolas
Southern Wales, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

What an ideal location, and what a friendly hotel. Yes some little touches could improve it , like placing bottled water in all the rooms, not just some, but other than that, it was almost faultless.

When we go to st ives again and we decide to stay in a hotel for a nice weekend break, this will be our first port of call.

When we returned home, lovely email from the hotel, which is such a nice touch, once again thank you .

Haven't been to st ives for 33 years, what a lovely place

Room Tip: Try and get a sea view, it is lovely
1 Thank Bartl865
Worthing, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a few times and always had average stays at reasonably cheap rates. This time however, we had an awful stay. Unfortunately I have tried to speak to someone about it whilst I was there, send an email, left messages etc since Ive been back before I wrote a review on here but unfortunately despite promises to get back to me, no one has so I feel like I should write a review on here.
The stay started badly with a blunt receptionist and a room key that didnt work but that wasn't the end of the world.
The room was very small and for the money I think the size of room and bathroom was appalling. Im not a large person (a size 10) but I found the bathroom difficult to manoeuvre in. The breakfast was greasy, cold and disgusting. We went an hour before breakfast ended so expected everything to be hotter and fresher. So disappointed. Will never stay here again! Mostly disappointed with the fact that no one has contacted me despite several attempts to speak to someone!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CHARLOTTE A
Julia B, Manager at Chy-An-Albany, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
I would like to take this opportunity to address the issues that you have raised.

On arrival we endeavour to offer a warm welcome giving general information about the hotel facilities and meal times before assisting guests to their rooms. Unfortunately check in times can sometimes be rather busy and it is not always possible to take every guest to their individual rooms & help with the key card door locks, so I am sorry you had trouble using your key.

We have a varied selection of rooms, some smaller than others. All rooms are ensuite although with the very nature of our period building not all are of a spacious size. We provide a selection of toiletries along with bath & hand towels in all rooms. For guests requiring a more spacious bedroom & bathroom we would recommend one of our deluxe sea view rooms.

It is very disappointing to read that you found the breakfast ‘cold & disgusting’ and it alarms me that if, as you mention, had brought this to the attention of our staff at the time of your stay the situation was not addressed immediately. Although we offer a buffet style breakfast, which is continuously refreshed during breakfast service, all guests are also offered our breakfast menu which is available to order from the kitchen.

All feedback is welcome & any complaints, brought to our attention, taken very seriously. On this occasion I am very confident that our staff did respond to your email contact immediately & also the reception manager tried to make telephone contact, leaving several messages.

It is with great regret that you found your last visit not to be up to the same standard you previously experienced here at The Chy an Albany Hotel, as you have stayed with us ‘a few times’ I trust that you were happy on all the other occasions which prompted you to return to us.
Swansea, Wales, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Having taken early retirement I began an Art Degree, and needed to take a trip to St Ives to see an exhibition in the Tate. I hate traveling alone, but my Wife made it easy by suggesting I go on the train, as 5 hours in the car is not my idea of fun! I duly arrived at St Ives station, and climbed the steep path to the main road. The hotel was just a short way up the road, overlooking the bay. It has great views from dining room and bar. The entrance is a bit odd, but once inside, that really does not matter. I had booked a cheap rate room for one, so did not expect much in the way of a bedroom. The bedroom was quite small, but spotless, with TV, tea making facilities, shower en suite. All I needed. I was going to the village for food but looked at the menu and thought I'd give it a try. Gin and tonic in a very pleasant bar took the strain of a 5.5 hour train away. I was really surprised at the standard of cooking. Confit of Duck came shredded with salad and pieces of duck breast on a white oblong plate. Delicious. For main I had a Haddock Kedgeree with mildly curried rice and a poached egg on top. Not my usual choice...but so glad I chose this. Absolutely superb.
As it was a Monday and having a Gallery Day on the following day I did not bother with more booze or a pudding, which I do not eat. What a great meal! A great nights sleep followers by breakfast of Eggs Benedict...Poached Eggs on Muffins with Hollandaise Sauce. I kid you not...heaven on a plate! A quick walk into St Ives and a day trying hard to be intellectual! The staff are very helpful and friendly, and we shall return!

Room Tip: If you can get a sea view, great!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo