“excellent” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
somerset
“excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Stayed for one night, and we were very pleased. We had a lovely family room (no 27) which was very spacious, clean and had a fabulous sea view. Excellent friendly reception staff.
The hotel is on the main road coming into St Ives and on a steep hill. This is perfect for views of St Ives, but a steep walk back from the centre.(fine for able bodied people, but might be too much if you struggle with walking!)
Had a very good night sleep...beds very comfortable.
Was woken early though by noisy main road and glass bottle recycling! (Most of the hotels are on the same bit of road)
Breakfast was superb with a good choice and very good staff.
Would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Worth paying more for deluxe room as other rooms we saw were quite a bit smaller
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank brooks28

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed in room room 27 , which is described as a deluxe family room. The first thing we noticed was our double bed was in fact two singles zipped together, not good !!!! The view from the room was stunning out across the bay . Now on to the bathroom , if you wanted a bath , the water pressure is so poor it took ages to fill,and during our four nights the bath was not cleaned once, not good!!!!! . Back to the bedroom now, the TV was far to small for the room size, and very out dated, and not only that , it was placed to low down on a chest of draws, so if you wanted to sit up in bed and watch TV you could not see the TV screen , not good .!!!!!.The breakfast was was ok , and I must say the staff were lovely . But I did notice that a radiator we were sat next to at breakfast had food splash stains on it , which tells me things are dirty , not good again !!!!!. Now on to the bar , I ordered a Jack and coke , and as in a previous review the coke was flat , and the syrup mix for the coke was empty, now surely you would check these simple tasks before the bar was opened. My last comment to the owner / owners would be , go through each room and bathroom , and improve ,them you have a nice hotel in a fantastic place. Get your standards a lot higher than they are at present .

• Stayed July 2014
Julia B, Manager at Chy-An-Albany, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you for reviewing the hotel since your recent holiday, it’s always nice to have feedback on our guests stay at the hotel.

I can confirm that the room in which you had booked indeed has a zip n link bed. The bonus of the bed in which you were in is actually a bigger bed than a standard double size. Most hotels use these types of beds so they are logically better and more flexible for both guests and the hotel booking demands. I appreciate your view, but most guests do not mind this and prefer the larger bed size.

I have taken on board your comments regarding the TV and have organised to have this improved by having a larger TV and also one fixed to the wall providing a better viewing angle and ability to stretch a little closer.

The bath should have been cleaned and does not sound like the norm. This has been investigated.

Also to confirm our restaurant and public areas have a strict cleaning schedule, but of course during service there may have been previous people in which splashes could have occurred. This will and was cleaned straight after service properly, but as you can imagine was logically difficult whilst guests were about.

I am sorry to hear that you had a similar experience on the bar- it must have been the same day as its only happened the once recently in which a couple of guests were affected. This will have been rectified by a replacement drink, unless you failed to report it to us. I can see your point in regards to checking these areas prior to service. I can confirm that this does take place and that unfortunately it happens sometimes within service- we cannot replace something if it is not empty yet- otherwise we would have quite a wastage bill…

I have taken on board your comments regarding the refurb & I feel I have explained thoroughly in my previous responses.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

This is our 3rd stay at the chy an hotel, and it is still as fab as ever! Very clean, fantastic staff and one of the best breakfasts you could eat with local produce. I would highly recommend paying the extra for a sea view as they are amazing. Those that moan about this hotel should really pay triple the price for a 5 * but I can honestly say food, staff and service would be no better. Also large free car park!

Room Tip: Sea view is a must!
Thatcham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

We had booked this hotel as we were in the area for a wedding (just across the road)
We were allocated room 34- a very small single room, with just enough room for 2 people to move around in. We were only staying for 2 nights, so it wasn't a major problem for us.
The shower room was again very small, but did suffice, it was clean and done the job. the room was generally clean and tidy, some dust in places, nothing a little TLC wouldn't fix!
Unfortunately we did have to request that linen on one of the beds be changed as there was what looked like vomit stains on the valance. This was dealt with immediately after informing the reception staff member.
All of the staff members were very approachable, and very helpful, all of them that we came across are a credit to the hotel, even the gardeners that wanted to have a chat when we was sat outside!
The food- we had the buffet style breakfast both days, this was lovely both days, very nice sausages!
All in all, a very pleasant hotel, I would recommend people staying here, and would stay there again if I was visiting the area again!
Thank you for a lovely trip!

Julia B, Manager at Chy-An-Albany, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you for another review since your stay.

Thank you ever so much for being so understanding with the linen change to begin with. I can confirm that this only happened the once and was rectified straight away. Thankfully it was fake tan stain and not vomit.

It’s lovely to hear such nice feedback about all the staff, it is really is nice to hear when we are getting things right, & the chef will be pleased to hear the sausages are winners!

It would be a pleasure to have you return again. We offer return guests a discount if booked directly with the hotel, so it might be worth keeping in mind or keeping an eye out for our winter offers.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

Situated on a hill above the town centre, this hotel is a very good base for a St Ives holiday. We were allocated a large, naturally well lit and comfortably furnished room (no. 31) overlooking the sea. Breakfast offered both hot buffet and waited on service - tables at the front of the restaurant offered sunny views towards the coast. Staff were pleasant and attentive. It's about a 10-15 minute walk down to the busy harbourside, with its plethora of pubs, bars, restaurants and boat trips. An enjoyable stay at a well sorted hotel.

UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

We paid £130 for a double room for each of the 3 nights we stayed here, this also included breakfast. The room size was ok but the bathroom was quite small. The shower was a cubicle with little room to move, but did suffice.The taps on the sink were a bit wobbly but the bathroom cleanliness didn't seem to be too bad.

On arrival to our room I noticed the valance around the bottom of the bed looked scruffy, on closer inspection there was a large yellow stain which looked like vomit on it. This was not a good 1st impression at all. I notified reception and housekeeping changed it, but seeing something like this within the 1st 2 mins of arrival puts you off straight away !!!!! I tried to block it out my mind from then on.

Moving on from that.......
The overall decor in the bedrooms and around the hotel interiors needs sprucing up a little as it looks a bit tired and dated now. A good deep clean around the bed headboards would also not go a miss either-running a finger on it covered you in collated dust.

Free parking is a bonus here but the car park round the back is rather small, with awkward spacing and on a slope. We saw 1 car trying to gain traction on the loose floor stones just to get out of his space, struggling so much that his tyres were just spinning. He eventually lost traction and slid back into the wooden fence, breaking it before driving off looking embarrassed at the audience watching on.

The breakfast here was actually really good. Help yourself to most things e.g. toast, preserves, fruit salad, bananas, yoghurts, cooked breakfast or cereal. A few options could be ordered with the waiters and the presentation of these choices was quite impressive when being brought out from the kitchens.

Wifi was available in the hotel but holding onto the connection was a bit hit and miss around the hotel at times.

There was a bar but none seemed to be drinking there.

Overall, the hotel was a bit out the way from things ( about 12 mins walk to the harbour ) and everything in St Ives is hilly, the walk back to the hotel each time is uphill then up a set of steep stairs. We were fine but you would struggle here if you were not good on your feet for any reason. The hotels elevated position makes it quiet and with some nice views of the sea form the lounge area windows.

The price is a lot -£130 per night but I think St Ives is quite pricey, especially during peak season.

The hotel needs a good revamp of decor and it may be worth the price currently being charged. I wouldn't stay here again but did enjoy my holiday in St Ives.

Julia B, Manager at Chy-An-Albany, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you for recent review since your visit at the hotel last week.

I can confirm that the maintenance team have investigated your comments in the bathroom which has now been rectified. Thank you ever so much for bringing this to our attention so it could be fixed straight away.

I must point out as it is very important that the issue in which you raised to us on check in with regards to the valance around the bed was not vomit. It was thankfully a stain which was fake tan- unfortunately hotels and laundry companies this time of year find fake tan and hair dye products a complete nightmare to tackle. Unfortunately this has been at the angle which was missed by the supervisor. I can only sincerely apologise for this but I am pleased that it was corrected in a speedy fashion as I am sure this would have caused concern.

The hotel has an ongoing refurbishment programme, which as I am sure you can appreciate is logistically harder this time of year during the busy peak period, however we endeavour to maintain high standards throughout the year and try our very best to prevent any issues from occurring. I have passed your comments onto the housekeeping team as they take pride in their work. We have high standards here at the hotel, so I apologise that your issues occurred as they are certainly not the norm!

I am so pleased that you enjoyed our breakfast selection; we receive a lot of really good comments for our food; breakfast and dinner so it is nice to see it online too.

The bar area gets busy but can be at different time of the day. Again it is difficult to comment if you are out all day and not here when there are guests relaxing enjoying the spectacular view we have. The Wi-Fi is best in the bar and sun lounge, however since our new Wi-Fi system has been implemented, we have experienced much improvement and especially now we have a system which can allow the free Wi-Fi to be available with all the rooms. Some rooms may not have full signal, yet this is due to the age of the building. We find guests prefer to sit and use the Wi-Fi whilst enjoying a coffee or drink from the bar.

I do feel that where we might lack in modern fixtures and fittings, we offer a bespoke, friendly and genuinely caring service where we take pride in our work and enjoy making our guests feel at home. We offer excellent food and drink as well as a happy team. It is always lovely to hear the nice comments about the hotel team as we feel that this is something that some other accommodation providers fall short.

I am sorry to hear you will not be returning but pleased you enjoyed your time in St Ives.
We do offer very competitive rates and excellent offers during the winter and spring periods which might be more preferable.
Chessington, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

I booked a standard double room for 1 night which I had booked 6 weeks prior to my stay and paid £130. My parents also booked a standard double room just a few weeks prior and paid the same.

The room

On arrival my partner and I were allocated room 33. When I walked into the room I thought I was in a single room, or at the most an economy double. There was absolutely no room at all. Two people could not walk past each other as there was no space around the bed. The bathroom was tiny and compact. After you came out of the small shower crucible you almost walked into the w/c. There was hardly any room to turn around even for a small person such as myself. Room 33 was less than 12 m2 (unacceptable for a double and £130)
My parents were allocated room 2 which was a lot bigger and resembled a double bedroom. As we had both paid the same price there should not be such size differences between the rooms. Or at least the smaller room should be sold as a single and charged appropriately, not £130!! I could get a bigger hotel room just outside London for this price.

If the size and overpriced room were not bad enough, the sound insulation was nonexistent. The walls have absolutely no sound proofing. We were kept up half of the night by people talking on their mobiles and other noise. If there were adequate noise insulations for a hotel then this would not be a problem.

The Bar service

We had a drink in the bar at about 5pm which I did have lovely views and was relaxing. However, it was not so relaxing when a hotel staff member was holding a wedding conference with a customer. And their voices just took over the quiet bar area. This type of meeting should have taken place in private.
I had ordered 2 cocktails and said we would take them to our ‘single room’ as we needed to get ready to go out. I understand the young girl behind the bar was new and she was there on her own, although we were the only people in the bar. It took her over 5 minutes to make 1 drink. When I came over to the bar I tasted the drink to find the coke was completely flat. I could not be bothered to wait another 5 minutes for the other drink so I left. The hotel manager did bring us up a bottle of wine to our room.

The breakfast was nice in the morning.

Upon checkout our room rate was discounted to reflect the undersized and over price room we had.
It was only 2 weeks ago my friend stayed at the hotel and made similar comments about the size of the rooms as well as other Trip advisor reviews.

Overall, the hotel seriously needs to review their hotel room tariff, as it is unfair to charge the same price for 2 very different sized rooms of the same category. I have stayed in hotels all over the world from Backpackers to top hotels such as Raffles and the Dorchester. I have never stayed in such an undersized and overpriced hotel room with such poor sound insulation. I do not feel a customer should be expected to pay more than £80 max for this room I stayed in. The hotel rates are certainly not 3 star prices. Whilst I am aware that St Ives is an expensive place to stay, and the hotel is an old building, I do not feel you get anywhere near value for money at this hotel. Perhaps the hotel owner could listen to the comments being made which appear to be a true reflection of the hotel.

Finally, If you are looking for a decent sized room, value for money and a good nights sleep I would not recommend the Chy-An-Albany.

Sleep Quality
1 Thank Richard H
Julia B, Manager at Chy-An-Albany, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at the hotel.

I would like to respond to a couple of points you have made and also include some that you have missed out;

The two rooms you had booked were of both the same room type and price. One room is slightly larger by a couple of foot, but as I explained to you our rooms are segregated by our different room types which take in to consideration the size, view and décor. As we are an old Edwardian hotel I am sure you can understand that due to the layout of the building the rooms are of different sizes and each category can vary ever so slightly but I can confirm that they are split the best way they can so that it is a fair pricing tariff against other room types which offer partial sea views or complete sea views and twice the size. I can confirm that these are all of 3 star quality. Unfortunately we cannot compare ourselves to pre-fabricated buildings and companies which are able to build hotel bedrooms and facilities to the size they choose. We like to see our standard rooms as cosy with a Cornish feel yet with all the facilities required within. We always suggest that if you are looking for sea view rooms which are more spacious and have full facing sea views then it’s best to book a deluxe room or the studio apartment.
When you brought this to our attention we made an adjustment to your bill for the accommodation, which you were happy with at the time. Unfortunately we were unable to locate you to another room as the hotel was fully booked.

I appreciate your comments regarding the room and the sound proofing- this is something that I will pass onto the owners of the hotel to consider making improvements.

In regards to your experience within the bar; I am sorry that the bar area was not as relaxing as you hoped, the bar and sun lounge is used by guests and non-residents when they want to meet up with friends and have a chat, sometimes we have people on business using the area discreetly for private meetings. However, I have taken note of your comments and I apologise for the inconvenience, we will endeavour to keep this in mind in future.

The person who attempted to serve you on the bar was due to receive training that evening and was waiting for her supervisor to arrive as was held up with other guests at the time. Due to this I am afraid that the post mix machine which provides coke had ran out, thus why your drink was not to the taste that it should have been. It was also noted that you had requested cocktails from the cocktail menu which would explain why there would be a small wait as they take a few extra minutes to make as you can imagine. In hindsight it probably would have been wise for the person on duty to explain that they were new so you may have had a little more patience whilst she tried to arrange your drinks. It is a shame that you had not informed the bar member in a polite manner that you could not wait any longer before returning to your room.

It is unfortunate that these issues cropped up together in such a small time period, but I am glad that you called to speak to me as soon as you had returned to your room and vent your frustrations. I am pleased that you appreciated a complimentary bottle of wine which was taken to your room by the receptionist on duty promptly to apologise for the inconvenience caused.

I am genuinely sorry that you were disappointed with the room rate for the room type that you booked. As you explained on check out, you wished that you had booked a deluxe room at the time when they were available as you would be happy to pay the extra for this. I take on board your comments regarding our price tariff, however as we discussed, we are very competitive for the local area at this time of year and that most of the larger hotels in the area where the buildings are old, it is common that the rooms may vary very slightly. I am confident in how are our rooms are priced when you have a clear idea & information on each room within the hotel to make that judgement. It is also very difficult to compare our hotel with premier inns located in London, which is completely a different area and market to make a fair comparison with. We cannot compare our hotel to pre-fabricated buildings which are built especially with the ability to simply provide better sound proofing. I must say you will not find a hotel within a branded budget company with views that we have at our hotel in Cornwall. I am pleased that you have enjoyed your other holidays backpacking and your time at the Dorchester.

I am glad that you did bring it to my attention during the time of your stay as I was able to make some improvements for you which you appreciated at the time. It is always difficult and uncomfortable when guests tell you from the word go that they are avid trip advisor responders, which suggests a form of blackmail which I personally do not agree with at all and can give the wrong impression to businesses and other guests.

I however thank you for your comments and I hope that the next time you stay in St Ives you find the accommodation you are looking for.