“Quiet and tidy”
Review of Chy-An-Albany

Chy-An-Albany
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights in single room.Room was nice,clean .Water was very hot and shower have not good pressure water.Very quiet hotel.Two car parks.Hotel is close to beach and centro town.
Very good value for money.I recommend.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Jan .

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Staff were very friendly & helpful. Stayed in a single room (rm 21) for 2 nights - it was a bit small (esp for price), as was the shower room, but they were both very clean. Bed was very comfortable & had an excellent night's sleep. The hotel is a bit of a maze so I sometimes had trouble finding my room, esp after a couple of pints!
I had breakfast in my room, which was great - very nice & ample on the plate!
I arranged a slightly later checkout, but on the morning the fire alarm kept going off - felt I'd better 'get out'. It was probably just the weekly test so I wasn't too annoyed.
Chy-An-Albany is fairly close to the train station but it's a steep hill straight up to the hotel (walking the long way round is an easier gradient). Also fairly close to the town centre.
A minor issue I had often in the hotel was lack of mobile signal.
All in all enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Ian K
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed for two nights in two family rooms, one deluxe with a balcony (amazing views) and standard room.

Decors are quite dated, but we didn't really mind it too much as it gives the hotel that seaside feel to it.

Deluxe room was spacious, one queen size bed and two singles, seating area, balcony and ensuite bathroom.

Standard room had one queen size bed and a single bed, very small tv and bathroom but it was very quiet as it was located at the back of the hotel but we still had views of the sea.

Finding the hotel was easy by car and by foot, as very close to St Ives Station (approx. 10 mins walk). Parking was available on First come, first serve with spaces available at the front and back of the hotel.

Checking in was quick and straight forward, Julie is very helpful and friendly!

Bathroom shower in the standard room was not powerful but sufficed.
Breakfast was hearty! Selection of hot (eggs, bacon, sausages, mushrooms, tomatoes) and cold (cereals, fruits and yoghurts) buffet as well as cooked to order option all included in the nightly rate.

Location of the hotel is conveniently located close to the beach, path down to the beach took us approx. 5 minutes which is one to the best beaches we have been to in the UK. Clean, not crowded although the water was cold but golden sand and when the sun is out, it is quite nice to go for a swim!

Town centre approx. 15 minutes walk with lots of nice small shops which makes it quite a pleasant area to stroll at a leisurely pace.

Some noise can be heard between rooms, or door slamming but wasn't a big issue for us. Would definitely stay at Chy an albany again but would opt for the deluxe family room for the views!

Room Tip: Room 7 is a Deluxe Family room - definitely worth staying in!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Mish77_uk
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We booked into this hotel for 6 nights.
The room was very clean and tidy and well decorated.
The personal touch just seemed to be missing , we had a bed throw disappear from the room midway through our stay which I asked to be returned as I didn't want to get charged for it,why it was removed I don't know.
The breakfast was a buffet style which was quite good in fact and well looked after and replenished often.
House keeping we were concerned about as twice on our stay the bathroom floor wasn't cleaned.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Julia B, Manager at Chy-An-Albany, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Hi there, thank you for your review.
We strive to achieve a welcoming & friendly hotel for guests to relax during their holiday & so I am pleased that you enjoyed our breakfasts.
The throw will have been replenished with a fresh one I am sure if one was taken away by mistake. It will have been taken to laundry. Your comments have been passed to the Head Housekeeper as if the floor was missed; I am sure that it was not intentional so we thank you for bringing it to our and the staffs attention.
Kind regards, Julia

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed for two nights at the last minute and found an older hotel with wonderful views and excellent food. Our room was a bit small and the shower didn't produce vast quantities of water, but overall it was a good experience. The room was clean and looked over their pretty garden which was a real treat, parking was easy, and a lift available to upper floors. The staff ensured our stay was comfortable and pleasant, and even in the busyness of breakfast, they still ensured we had our coffee topped up. We had dinner one night with a table overlooking the town and the bay (during a very spectacular storm!), and the food was excellent. A very enjoyable couple of days.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

First signs were ok.
Cheery greeting , although the girl didn't leave her seat and waved us to the lift with general directions to our room, we entered the room it looked great. Large room with desk, sofa and doors leading to seated area over looking St Ives bay. The buffet breakfast was nice enough with happy staff and the walk into the main shopping area or beach is hilly but ok for most.
The things that popped up during the stay that did colour our judgement a little :
The bed rang to the sound of creaking springs and wasn't at all comfortable, the mattress was dead but wouldn't accept it.
The bathroom while a nice size was a little tired and waiting for hot water from the shower was a little tedious but when it arrived was plentiful,
The second morning we were greeted by the sound of a hand drill near our room at just after 8am. Why it was necessary to do maintenance at this time of morning I don't know.
Next was the unannounced Fire drill, while this may need to be done, a little warning may have saved several of the rooms ending up at reception or the young boy in the next room to be scared and having to cover his ears . It started with a short test and continued into a longer version which made us question if it was a test ! The longer version eventually forced us to escape to the shops.
When we entered our room we were hit by a wall of scented room spray, was more of an annoyance to my partner, she hunted for the source without any luck. As it dissipated it was obviously hiding the smell of damp.
Lastly the small matter of someones discarded underwear, housekeeping need to do a better room sweep when changing over.

1  Thank KateandMike31
Julia B, General Manager at Chy-An-Albany, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Thanks ever so much for your helpful review. I am sorry that your check in was not as you expected. Unfortunately you checked in when the receptionist was feeling light headed from the heat and tried to avoid this by sitting down during your check in. I sincerely apologise for this.

I am really pleased that you liked your room and the view over the bay; it is beautiful. However I wish you had informed us about the bed as without being informed we cannot improve. It saddens me that you were unable to approach us about these issues as it is the first that we have known about the bed and something that we would change given the knowledge. I will now be able to investigate and arrange accordingly.

I apologise that you were woken by maintenance work carried out. We usually avoid any noisy work until after 9am, however if something needs fixing immediately and is a health & safety risk; we prefer to fix it straight away to avoid any issues.

We inform all of our guests with the welcome pack available in each bedroom that we carry out fire alarm tests every Wednesday morning at a particular time of day. Unfortunately there was a small issue which was rectified later that morning, but initially resulted in the alarm being prolonged. This was not planned as we would have informed guests, so the issue was dealt with as quietly and efficiently as possible.

I have informed the Head Housekeeper and her team of your comments as it was not brought to my attention at the time of your stay nor on check out.

I am sorry that your disappointment grew & grew & some of your comments are valid, but without informing us on during any time of your stay prevents us in improving your stay as not provided the opportunity.

During our peak season & when the hotel is at full occupancy, the demand for water can be higher; especially at this time of year & at particular popular times of day. Also we actively try to prevent issues within rooms, however it is difficult when combatting guests habits and unbeknown not understand that if they stay in our rooms and not open any windows and have the door open to the bathroom- this can have an affect which can encourage damp. We endeavour to ensure that all our rooms are aired and cleaned to a high standard.

Kind regards
Julia

Reviewed 24 July 2014

A very disappointing hotel we booked two rooms (no's 10 &17). There was no hot water to our shower in no10 and even if there was the shower hose was to short for me to get under. The sinks in both rooms were very small and in no10 you could not wash your face in the sink unless you stood side ways.
The rooms were poor as it looked like they had just had a quick paint but they were very dated and are no where near as luxuries as the web site has you believe. The TV's screen's were smaller than my lap top one of the rooms only had a hanging rail no wardrobe and if you required drinking water you had to fetch it from reception. The view from no17 was onto a flat roof surrounded by other parts of the hotel.
This is a classic case of the hotel charging what they can get away with rather than what the rooms are worth. If you complain they do give you a small discount but this hardly makes up for the disappointment.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Julia B, Manager at Chy-An-Albany, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Hi there,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your rooms, which both have good size bathrooms for the room type in which you booked. The shower hoses are placed so it is flexible yet usable for both tall and shorter people.

It is a shame as when you reported you had no hot water coming out of the shower, yet perfectly fine hot water coming out of the bath taps- you declined our offer to investigate at the time and chose to use the shower in your friend’s room. We would of course have been happy to investigate at the time or my maintenance engineer could have looked straight away the next day, but you said you were happy with the discount and in a rush, which I appreciate and thus only could apologise at the time. Our deluxe rooms offer much larger bathrooms which you might have preferred.

We offer drinking water in reception as a preventative issue as some of our rooms are fed from tanks instead of the main feed, so I am sure you can appreciate we would rather you collected cold water from reception. Water from rooms is completely fine to boil and use for tea & coffee making, etc.

We do state that standard rooms offer views of the hotel grounds or gardens. I appreciate that the view isn't brilliant & I am working towards a way to improve, but we are restricted by the size and shape of the Edwardian building.

I thank you again for your feedback as it is helpful when making improvements.