“Inexpensive and Great Location”
Review of Chy-An-Albany

Chy-An-Albany
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in St Ives
Reviewed 20 January 2010

We had a two night stay here for our wedding aniversary.
We were upgraded to a wonderfull sea view room on arrival as the Hotel was Quiet.
The staff were all very friendly and polite.
The room was clean and comfortable and great value for the price we paid.
I would definately reccomend it too friends for the location and price.
It was just a short walk to the town and the beach was just 5 minutes walk away.
We didn,t eat in the restaurant apart from breakfast, the breakfast was really good as good as many i have had in really expensive Hotels.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 January 2010

This was our first visit to Chy-An-Albany and it was a cheap weekend away - great out of season rate. Unfortunately all the sea view rooms were booked so had to have a rear view basic room.

We booked by phone on the morning of our stay. Upon arrival to the hotel we easily found the main car park at the rear with ample parking spaces.

When we checked in we were shown to our room - we were told in our room that a coach party of school children were staying at the hotel, they'd stayed before and were well behaved, but if any problems to call reception. We were a bit disappointed that we were not told this when we called to make the booking or at check in (mind you had we of been told we would not of chosen to stay).

The room was adequate, quite spacious, but tiny shower room (typical of most 3 star hotels). Unfortunately the shower was just a trickle - as we were only staying for 1 or 2 nights we could cope with it, but any longer would be a major problem.

Evening meal was very nice - very professional table service and food was excellent, only downside was that the school kids were eating at the same time so quite noisy until they left (we were on our 3rd course by then - again it would of been nice to of been told what time the children were eating, so we could of had our meal afterwards).

We were woken in the night with the fire alarm going off - no doubt the children messing about.

Breakfast next morning was good - buffet style, the children were half way through their breakfast, so only had to put up with the noise for half our breakfast.

I guess out of season hotels have to get whatever buisness they can and accomodate student groups, but it would be nice if they told people when bookings are made.

Would we stay again - yes, as the food was excellent for a 3 star hotel, but only if no teenage groups are staying and would try and book in advance to get a seaview room

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2009

I stayed for one night on a business trip. I wasn't sure what to expect for the £35 that I paid for the night. I am pleased to say that I was pleasantly surprised. The room was larger then I expected and very clean. The service was excellent and very personal. Breakfast was very nice as well. All over, I would say this hotel is probably one of the best deals in St. Ives and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 November 2009

I had not been back to this hotel for nearly 2 years and what a difference from my last experience. 'Basil Fawlty' has now gone and been replaced by a young man very keen to raise standards in all areas. A new restaurant name is about to be launched but already the food and decor in the restaurant is vasltly improved on my last stay. Good flavours and texture in the 2 dinners I had and breakfast was excellent on both mornings with traditionally cooked poached eggs and excellent sausage and bacon.

I think you have to remember that this is a 3 star hotel and not one of those 'yuppy' type places that seem to be all the rage in Cornwall nowadays.

The sea view room (41) I had was excellent being on the top floor with unrivalled panoramic views of St Ives, the bay and Porthminster beach. Shower was very good with plenty of hot water. Good desk space for working and free wi fi. Being the nosey type I had a sneak look at some of the other rooms on the floors below and there were some what I guess they call superior rooms being larger than mine and some even had balconies! I think it is worth paying a bit more for one of the sea view rooms here.

The receptionists were all freindly and efficient and you could sense the pride and enthusiasm with the recent changes starting to have an effect. I was told that there are more changes afoot and this can only help improve this hotel for the better.

Ample car parking at rear but I managed to get one of the 12 places at the front and it is only a short and healthy walk into town.

My only observation or concern was the pillows and I was told that the owners had just ordered a batch of new ones to go with some new beds that were being ordered. Apparently a number of the older rooms are also currently being refurbished over the winter so things definitely are on the up.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel as the place to stay in St Ives and considerably better than my stay earlier in the year at the 'Tregenna castle' were the rooms were cold and uninviting.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
chyanalbany, manager at Chy-An-Albany, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2009

Thank you for the great review of the Chy an Albany Hotel.

I’m glad to see you noticed the positive changes we have made and will continue to do so. We have had a great response from the changes in the restaurant and the feedback from the food has been nothing but great. Our Head Chef has 25 years experience working in various locations around the world and 23 years working together with his Sous chef. Between them they have an understanding and passion for great food. We are truly blessed!!

You are correct. We are not a “Yuppie” style hotel and are not trying to be. We are a traditional 3 star hotel that prides itself on quality. With all the original pieces of art displayed and with the reputation of becoming an “Art gallery hotel”, we now have the tools in place to become the finest 3 start hotel in St Ives. We sell the art on behalf of the artists and our % is donated to the RNLI which is our designated charity.

We are spoilt with the views looking over the bay from our deluxe rooms.

Our reception team along with all the other staff have really felt the positive effects within the hotel over the past 3 months. There is now a sense of pride and the willingness to really push boundaries and exceed our guest’s expectations.

We have the advantage of having over 40 car parking spaces at the Chy an Albany. Something quite unique in St Ives!

All our rooms now have new pillow and 22 of our bed also have new mattresses. The majority of our rooms have had a major face lift. The remaining few will be revamped in January.

Kind regards,

Andre Wintersgill
Manager.

Reviewed 12 October 2009

This is very much a hotel of two halves. Take particular care if you book it through the internet through ebookers as you will probably get the wrong half!

On the plus side the view from the hotel generally is terrific, the room we had (after considerable wrangling) was lovely, the breakfast was good, it has free parking and is close to the town centre.

On the down side, the hotel had not received our reservation, made through ebookers a couple of months earlier, the room we were first offered was a long way below what we had been led to expect, and the lounge and some other public areas are dated and in places shabby.

The description on ebookers website said "the sights and sounds from your bedroom window will live in the memory, long after your holiday is over". The room we were offered had a view of a tree outside the window and little else. After much wrangling, during which both the hotel and ebookers suggested we paid for an upgrade, we finally were moved to an excellent room at the hotel's expense, a room for which the eloquent description was entirely appropriate. It was not however an accurate description of the hotel's "standard rooms" which is all that ebookers offer.

Since our stay the description has now been amended. The ongoing problem, however, is that the ebookers site still has three photographs, two of rooms at the hotel and one of people on a balcony, none of which are remotely like the room we were first offered. Despite being told this, in writing, they have refused to remove them, saying they "are there for the purpose of illustration only and may not represent the room type booked." In our experience they certainly didn't until we got out upgrade. That issue is now with Trading Standards.

My advice would be that if you choose to stay at this hotel book it by phone directly to the hotel and get a firm commitment on the actual room you will be in. Don't book through ebookers and assume you will get a room like the one in the pictures.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2009

This hotel is advertised as being en-suite, perhaps some rooms are, but our ridiculously expensive room had a wash basin next to the bed and a toilet plus tiny shower in a cupboard, the shower itself only produced a slight trickle of water. The car park is totally inadequate when the hotel is full, there is some additional parking space at the rear of the hotel, but this means all luggage has to be carried or dragged down a steep slope to the back door, when leaving it means dragging it up the slope to your car. The view across the bay is magnificent, and breakfast excellent, but we stayed at several other hotels in the area which where far superior to the Chy-an- Albany some of which were half the price.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
chyanalbany, relations manager at Chy-An-Albany, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2009

In Response to the above, I would like to apologise on behalf of the Chyan Albany Hotel. We have realised that maybe some standards have slipped over the past year or so. This has been due to somewhat lack of interest and poor management within the hotel. I'm glad to say we are now under new management and major changes have already started to take place. We have decorated and re-branded the restaurant. It will now be known as the "Lighthouse Bistro" showing some incredible works of art from local and international talent. All the works are original and will have a price tag. The artist will get 90% of the selling price and the hotel will donate the further 10% to the RNLI. Although most of our bedrooms are done to a very high standard, we also understand that a few of the rooms are slightly dated and in need of some TLC. Fortunately this work is now in progress and will carry on into the New Year. Where ever possible, the bathrooms are being enlarged and in certain cases, 3 rooms will be made into 2 to create larger bedrooms and bathroom facilities. We will also be creating Jacuzzi rooms. With overwhelming response from artists to display their work inthe restaurant, bar and reception area, the next phase is to let each artist have their own bedroom. They will be able to show their work and that bedroom which will be named after them. We have 38 rooms in total so this will make the Chy an Albany a very special place to visit. We have some wonderful staff. Some of them are new including a fantastic restaurant manager and some who have been here for years as the Chy anAlbany holds a very special place in their hearts. We are classing this as a fresh start and with a large financial investment from the Family owners, the Chy an Albany is now back on the map as a qualityestablishment.

Reviewed 30 July 2009

Was on a quick visit to St Ives and after an exhaustive search finally found a room at this Hotel.

St Ives is a busy place so be sure to book in advance as it is very difficult to find accommodation in the High season.

I travelled by Rail to St Ives and this hotel is located about a 6 minute steep walk up the hill overlooking St Ives Bay from the Rail Stop.

I booked a single room and this is very much what I got - a very small room with a single bed, small shower/toilet., TV . While toom was small it was cleanand this was the case through the hotel.

The positives - the welcome I recieved from Julie the receptionist on arrival was great and she showed me directly to my room.

The View from the hotel was great and even my room had a glimpse of the sea.
Wireless Internet access was available and was free - a great plus for any hotel.
Full english Breakfast was included in the rate and was tasty even though service in the restaurant was a bit erratic.

Over all this hotel represented Value for money for a short visit and if you can get over the flowery decor you will enjoy the location and hospitality offerred.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo