Pedn Olva Hotel
Chy-An-Albany(St Ives)
The Palms(St Ives)
  • Pool
1,071 results
All reviewsporthminster beachon the rocksroof terracest austell brewerybalcony roomstation car parkrooms are smallnon residentsamazing viewsoverlooking the seasound of the wavesfantastic locationhotel restaurantwaiting stafffish and chipsfamily roombreakfast was excellent
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 November 2010

Having looked at previous reviews we went with an open mind, however, the hotel staff could not have been more welcoming on arrival. Our rooms were very clean and comfortable. Although not huge they are plenty big enough with everything you need whilst away. The view from the room was absolutely amazing, worth staying just for this. We even spotted a seal by the rocks. Breakfast was excellent with the staff very friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble and constantly asked if you wanted any more tea/coffee. We thoroughly enjoyed our weekend and would definitely return here again. Overall we found the Pedn Olva a great place to stay with amazing views and would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 October 2010

I booked this hotel for my Brother's 40th birthday for 10 adults and 2 small children back in July. I had wanted a hotel in the centre of St Ives and this was the main reason for choosing this hotel. The location could not have been better- we had taken the train and it was literally 2 mins walk to the hotel from the station. The hotel was also in walking distance to the town centre and tourist spots and meant that we had the flexibility of eating and drinking out without having to book taxis.
We arrived in a large group late afternoon after a long train journey and I was slightly amused (irritated) by the slowness of the check in. The lady was very friendly but insisted on telling everyone each time they signed their check in form the same hotel rules, with all of listening over and over to the same instructions- and then walking each of us to our rooms separately, even though we were all staying in rooms next to one another.

The room was okay but I thought the view was wonderful and I presume the reason for the high cost. My mother paid extra for a room with a balcony but ended up with a sink outside the bathroom and tiny tiny toilet and shower. Think she would have done without the balcony for that. As I mentioned, the room was okay but it was the wake up calls in the early morning that ruined it for me. Our room was right next to a fire door by the main check-in desk and all you could here was it continuously banging every 5 minutes- not from guests but from the very chatty room maids that congregated right outside our door for 2 hours. I heard all their gossip and paid for the privilege. The other noise heard from the room (and others in my group also heard this) was from moving of tables and chairs above us. Not sure what was happening but it was also very irritating.

We spent a lot of time in the bar area and apart from a couple of friendly staff, most were miserable and made you feel guilty for ordering a drink- you could tell they didn't like their jobs much.

I think however that these problems could be resolved if the owners knew about them, but I didn't see an owner in sight so I'm not sure they spend much time at the hotel? I guess they don't need/care to change anything as the location sells the rooms.

Stay here if you're an early riser and love a good location.

I would recommend to some, for location only.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank essbarry
Reviewed 19 September 2010

Stayed for several nights in August and paid £240 a night for a family room. At this price expected something fantastic, but very disappointed. Room was directly underneath the bar so suffered from extreme noise. The wooden floor in the bar made things even worse, especially at 7 in the morning when housekeeping staff were dragging chairs and tables across it! Room was very small and entirely average. Complained about the noise before we left, and also that we felt ripped off and folllowed it up with an email complaint - was told that the location was justification for the room rate, and that we should in future book by telephone, not via their website, to ensure an appropriate room could be allocated. Also charged £1 for a glass of lime cordial which is absolutely outrageous.The whole experience was entirely average, and we shall not return.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank ChequersFroggatt
Reviewed 16 September 2010

I felt that this is a case of a hotel charging high prices, not for luxury, but for location. And it has to be said the location is fantastic - a short walk into St Ive's and glorious views across the harbour on one side and Porthminster Beach on the other. If you don't mind paying for this, then Pedn Olva is for you.

The actual hotel experience however, was a bit of a disappointment for someone not used to paying £170 a night and not getting something a little bit out of the ordinary. The room we were given was very small, had a tired bathroom, had very thin walls (earplugs were required) and stretched "sea view" a bit. It has to be said though, the bed itself was great. Breakfast was average to good when it came to the Cornish, but well below par for the eggs benedict - though the views from the breakfast lounge nearly made up for it. There is an additional £7.50 a day for parking if you want it. This may not seem cheap but having a reserved space in a place like St Ives where every space is like gold dust was well worth it if you intend to use your car.

Overall despite the prices, I think the location carried the place just about.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2010

we were here for 3 nights and were thrilled with the updates in our favourite room. vispring king size bed. new fold away bunks for children. better bedside facilities. thick fluffy towels. staff very helpful and child friendly, which doesnt happen often in english hotels. the food was good enough to keep us eating in house for the duration of the stay. only regret was the breakdown of the pool heater and indulging on too many delicious cocktails!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family