“Great hotel with loads of character”
Review of The Garrack Hotel

The Garrack Hotel
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in St Ives
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Just returned from a visit to St. Ives and a three night stay at the Garrack. Wonderful service on reception when we arrived (unknowingly) a day late. They didn't bat an eyelid but gave us a large, very clean and comfortable room with amazing views over St.Ives. Food was fabulous with panoramic views from the restaurant. Staff friendly and helpful. If you like to walk the hotel is next to the cliff walk to Zennor, and we were offered an OS map and walking poles to help us on our way. Lovely pool area with drinks and snacks available. Would definitely return - oh and mustn't forget the massage my husband and I both had which was so relaxing.

Room Tip: Book a room with sea view
3  Thank potterswheel

Reviewed 22 March 2012

Just returned from Garrack hotel.Must say we really enjoyed our stay!The room was clean and tidy had a amazing veiw,Staff made you very welcome and at home.The food from breakfast to dinner was execellent can taste they use quallity produce and the chef knows what to do with it.We forgot our swim wear but the very kind lady in the leisure area let us borrow some clean spare. Any niggles? just one the grounds could do with a tidy.We'll definitly return out of season when St ives is at its best.

Room Tip: We had room 23 great veiw nice and quiet at night close to pool, gym,sauna
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I needed a couple of days R and R and booked St Ives mainly for the Tate. I ended up at the Garrack, and I will return.
Yep it is a tad dated. A trifle stuck in the seventies and eighties. In a little need of some updating and TLC. But it would probably cost £100k plus to turn it into a 4 star and the two brothers run it as a family hotel, and don't they do that well.
I got a good room with a poor view and then a poor room with a great view. But poor is a relative term. For what they charged me off season I got serious value for money. The hotel boasts a great breakfast, a serious restaurant, (separate review) an indoor pool, sauna and a spa facility. Special mention to Tracey who gave me the dominatrix version of the deep tissue massage on the second visit. It hurt and it was good.
But as for the hosts, you could not have asked for more. Both Michael and Steven were excellent hosts and i am sorry i kept you up drinking till whenever in the morning. I had the most fabulous stay.
In fact, it was so good I asked them if I could stay another night (that's when I was changed to the room with the view), and they accommodated me. I don't need to say any more!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank lobstermadboy
Reviewed 12 March 2012

we visited the Garrack during February half term with our 2 children. We had an amazing stay. From the moment we arrived the staff were very helpful and extremely friendly. We felt very much at home and relaxed.
The accomadation was well kept - very clean and everything you'd espect. Nothing was too much trouble.
Food was fantastic with a great choice and all freshly prepared and local.
The facilities were excellent too - lovely pool. lounge with open fire and games. Fantastic views.
The best holiday we've had in a long time
We'll definitley be going back

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 March 2012

My wife and I found that the brochure description was accurate, i.e. comfortable pleasant large bedroom, good food, friendly staff, all we were hoping for. The fact that there was no rain so we could enjoy the ourdoors in February half term was a bonus. Lovely cliff paths, even if the taxi back to the hotel one evenng was delayed when cattle blocked the road. Never mind.
We chose to travel by train to save car miles, and that worked well. The hotel is a good walk up from the station, so we had a taxi on arrival (£4.50) but for the rest of the week we walked up and down to the town centre without difficulty, but then I've never minded a hill, and it was nice being away from the crowds.
Thanks for an enjoyable visit.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Lovely sea views, quite a nice little set up but staff were a bit odd on occassion. Also, there was a constant dripping noise in our room all night which kept me awake during the night. When I mentioned it to the manager he said he was surprised about this and no one had mentioned it before. However he immediately knew exactly where to look for it indicating to me others had complained. Even if he had apologised it would have been okay but he never bothered. Struck me as an arrogant individual, didnt make an effort to be friendly to me even before this happened.

Other drawbacks were the smell of damp in the halls and the used razor which was left in our room. This place needs a makeover and it could be nice.

We werent made to feel special at all. I think they clocked us as a young couple and not worth the effort. Not for the under 40's this place.

One member of staff was really nice and the little pool is good fun. Good walk to town which we dont mind but which some might find onerous. Service was good for breakfast though not very clear about things.

Room Tip: I dont recommend taking any
11  Thank biggordonmc
Reviewed 10 March 2012

We have been going to the GARRACK for more than 14 years, we even spent our wedding night there 12 years ago this summer. The ambience, the food, the convenience, (we like walking the south west coast path, which goes right past their door) bring us back time after time.
The pool in the leisure centre is marvellous after a strenuous day walking along the cliffs or kite flying on St Ives beaches.
A leisurely stroll down into St Ives and the TATE ST IVES is highly recommended
We tend to travel outside of the high season usually Oct - March. We meet some fascinating people in the sitting room over coffee and delicious petit fours after an always delicious dinner.
Our family live in the local area (we live in France) and we like to gather at the Garrack whenever we can.
We cannot praise the Garrack highly enough, the rooms are large, clean, with spectacular views, it has everything you need for a romantic break, a family gathering, a family holiday, or just somewhere to get off of the world for a weekend or mid week break. Close to much that is wonderful about Cornwall .. book your stay today.. but leave 1 room for us.

Room Tip: They are ALL good, we liked staying in the house for "romance" and in the annex for views
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple