“Not as good as I remembered”
Review of Bumbles Tea Room

Bumbles Tea Room
Ranked #123 of 152 Restaurants in St Ives
Cuisines: British
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We stopped off at Bumbles for lunch whilst in St Ives as we had eaten there before (OK it was a year ago) and remembered it as being a good place to eat. Maybe it has changed hands or something and I notice from other reviews that the tables have been changed - I thought it was 'quainter' on our last visit. However, I ordered the pasty (apparently cooked on the premises but prepared at Rowes the local bakers) and salad and my husband had a jacket potato. Sadly my pasty had been overcooked and was black on the underside. The coffee was not very nice either. Hubbie said his jacket potato was OK and his tea. The salad was very dull but had quite a nice salad dressing on it. Service was fine although we did have to wait a little while but the cafe was quite busy so this was to be expected. Very clean but no atmosphere and the food is certainly not out of the ordinary. People were having cream teas which looked very nice.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

Only a small place and sometimes difficult to get in, but very prompt service and extremely delicious food. We shared a crab sandwich so we had room for cake, we really enjoyed our food and visit.

Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

Walking around St Ives on a miserable day we stumbled on Bumbles! The tea was excellent and the Victoria sponge was perfect. The staff were polite and friendly.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

Visited on a Saturday morning. There were 3 other tables being served breakfast. We sat inside and the waitress managed her utmost to avoid any eye contact with me for at least 10 minutes! When I eventually managed to get her attention, another 5 mins passed before at last I ordered 3 drinks & 2 cakes.
The setting and food are pleasant enough, BUT, the service is awful! I won't return and unless they either train or change staff I wouldn't recommend the place at all, there's far nicer cafes in St Ives.

Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

Myself and my husband visited Bumbles yesterday for the first and only time. We sat outside waiting for service after 15 minutes we went in to order 2 cream teas one with a coffee, one with tea. 5 mins later 2 coffees turned up so we had to send one back without receiving an apology the waitress said it was manic so she had got it wrong but there were only 4 tables actually in use!! We sat drank our drinks and after a further 15 mins I had to go in and ask for a refund as we had drunk the drinks and no scones turned up and we had to leave to get our children. I went and asked for my money back and was asked which table I was at, I said and the waitress then reappeared with a piece of paper and said " 1 coffee and ur something else" as she couldnt read it. I then told her it was 2 cream teas and we paid £9.95. She then tried to refund me £9.00 minus the drinks. I again said it was £9.95 and it took her 3 attempts on a calculator to minus £3.50 (drinks) from the £9.95 bill!! She then put the money in my hand and said "there you go". No apology for the lack of food, nothing! I cant believe we were even made to pay for the drinks under the circumstances but an apology would have gone a long way but she really couldnt have cared less. The service and attitude was appalling!