“Not quite up to scratch”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

German first
Any
Sodapop12
Dorset, United Kingdom
“Not quite up to scratch”
Reviewed 24 March 2016 for a stay in March 2016
people found this review helpful

Our hopes were high for this property, due to the reviews, the photos and the price we had paid!!
However for us to just didn't meet our expectations.
The housekeeping standards were very poor. I could list a long line of issues but won't bore you.
You can't fault the decor and furnishings but at the end of day it's a one bedroom apartment and I can't get the figures to stack up.
The parking is a real bonus for sure. We could have unloaded the car by the property and it would have been good to have been informed of that before our stay.
The property faces East so no chance of any afternoon/evening sun. The weather was great when we stayed so we went to the nearby pub and sat in their garden which had full sun.
The location of this property is spot on and really near to everything yet with privacy.
I don't think the downstairs snug window does open like the photos on the Internet.
I ended up cleaning the middle two French windows as we couldn't see out of them, as the windows had not been cleaned. I also had to clean the remote controls as they were really grubby for other users.
The property needs a revisit with regards to cleaning standards and needs some quite basic things like a pair of matching drinking glasses for one (there was one glass one and one plastic one). There were only five coat hangers as another example, one of which was broken and ripped my top. Some binoculars would be a nice touch and some information on walking in the area. The info left was out of date as one of the restaurants was closed down. the shower floods the bathroom and there are some unpleasant drainage smells, which are marginally covered by the amount of reed diffusers in situ.
I don't ever recall being so picky at a property, but when you pay this kind of price you expect a lot and in this instance we were really disappointed.
Overall I would say this is a lovely property, but hugely overpriced.
Boutique retreats who we booked through were extremely good and I would use them again.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Really comfy bed and easy location
Liked least: Poor cleanliness
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
28 Apr 2016
Dear Sodapop12,
We are sorry to hear you didn’t find Black Moon up to scratch. We are currently reviewing the way our properties are being managed and working to ensure the standard of maintenance is more than up to scratch. We sincerely believe Black Moon is a truly unique property and will take all your comments into consideration to ensure it remains to be so.
I hope that you will come and visit us again.
Kind regards
Ben.
Michael T
“Black Moon must be a unique experience”
Reviewed 11 October 2015 for a stay in October 2015
person found this review helpful

Black Moon is designed for maximum enjoyment and comfort. It is also situated so that the
main room opens directly onto a wall-filling view of the sea. Large folding doors open out to
fill the room with the sound of waves breaking on the rocks immediately below. Lying in bed at night this induces a wonderfully relaxing sleep.
Every need is catered for, with an excellent bathroom and shower, and a small kitchen supplied with all necessary equipment. With the wealth of good eating places nearby, it is not necessary to do much cooking.
The décor is fabulous throughout, and there is a huge mirrored sliding door separating the
lounge area from the bedroom. This seems to double the size of the room when closed, and
reflects light from the window.
All in all this was a unique experience, and entirely positive.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The closeness to the sea
Liked least: A certain degree of confusion over the complex lighting.
Travelling group: Solo Traveller
Management Response
16 Dec 2015
Thank you very much for your review, I really hope to welcome you both to the cottage again.
Tafkap16
Wales, United Kingdom
“So nearly 5 stars!!”
Reviewed 25 April 2015 for a stay in April 2015
people found this review helpful

Let me start by saying that I am very sorry to be leaving Black Moon tomorrow (Saturday April 25th) and I am wide awake at 11.20pm and thought I may as well do my Tripadvisor review now, as I really don't think I'll be getting to sleep I anytime soon....more of this later!

Firstly, we booked Black Moon for 7 nights, having read the rave reviews on both the apartment and St Ives. When we arrived I instantly loved St Ives and Black Moon, which is situated on a lovely quiet road just off the Wharf. On entering it was warm and cosy with a beautiful scent. The Decor is dark and dramatic with a lovely bright, white airy lounge area and glass doors looking straight onto Bamaluz beach. When we arrived the tide was in and it was lovely to watch the waves crashing up against the rocks, while we were looking down from our warm haven. A bottle of Champagne was in the fridge for us, a very nice touch and a pint of milk.
We have enjoyed some lovely long walks around St Ives and Black Moon has been wonderful to return to. The bed, as others have said is wonderfully comfy and just behind the bed is the seperate area for the bath and shower. The toilet is seperate, just down the hall, some might find this a bit of a nuisance, but as I hate loos in Bathrooms anyway, I preferred it.
Everywhere is fitted out so beautifully, even the little cloakroom.
Our week flew by and we both said yesterday afternoon that we couldn't wait to come back...and to some extent that is still the case.
A couple of niggles, well one niggle and one thing that has pretty much ruined the end of our stay.
Firstly, we had one bath towel each left in the bathroom and we were staying 7 nights. I expect enough towels left in the property to last for the duration of our stay...I don't expect to have to ring the housekeeper every time I want clean towels....we're on holiday!!
Now the major niggle...
Yesterday afternoon some new guests, very obviously , arrived and stomped upstairs into the property directly above Black Moon. We thought nothing of this really and put the stomping down to shoes on hard floors, which we realise, can't help but make some noise. Well the stamping round has gone on all today and tonight reached another level with lots of moving of furniture thrown in for good measure!! It's now 12.30am and at last it's all stopped. This may well never happen again, but it needs to be pointed out that there is a separate property above Black Moon and the noise carries very easily downstairs.

So we leave in the morning. Will we return? To St Ives certainly. To a Beachspoke property? Definitely!! Louisa and the team at Beachspoke have been so helpful and I love the way they have designed all their properties and Black Moon especially is a stunning apartment in a perfect location in St Ives. Just check who's staying above if you want some peace and quiet!!

A quick update.... It's 6.42am and I've just been woken up to all the stomping round again...just glad I'm leaving in 3 hours!!! If this had been at the start of our week it would've ruined our time here.
Hopefully return one day....if the noise issue is sorted.

How easy was key pickup/access to the property?
Stewoo7
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Black moon..... Indulgent and opulent......”
Reviewed 1 March 2015 for a stay in February 2015
people found this review helpful

From the moment you open the door your stepping into another world. Great views over the crashing waves. The cave room was lovely it even came with its own chains. The shower the bath, the kithchen the breakfast bar were all extremely tasteful and well designed. We loved the big comfortable bed,. We loved it all and will be returning.....

579GaryP5...
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Beats everything else. Ever.”
Reviewed 4 September 2014 for a stay in November 2013
people found this review helpful

Black Moon is now our benchmark for everywhere we stay. Simple as that. We went in November 2013 for 3 nights and I've been reluctant to put a review on as I want to keep Black Moon a secret so it doesn't get booked up so quickly!!

It's absolutely idyllic and a real 'retreat'. We both came away feeling refreshed and recharged and somewhat sad to go. It's perfect for couples maybe celebrating a birthday or an anniversary but nothing more - no space for kids or groups (which was perfect!).

As above, we went in November - we were lucky with the weather on the first day, but the second was the complete opposite - it didn't spoil it for one minute. In fact, having the waves lap up against the building just makes this splace so special, rain or shine. We were slowly woken each morning with the curtains and patio doors open and were greeted by the sun coming up. To be honest, we really could have been anywhere in the world.

I really cannot say enough good stuff about this place - it really is the most luxurious, comfortable, beautiful, relaxing, quiet, indulgent place we've ever stayed. An earlier Trip Advisor review said you feel like a rockstar staying here - not far off the mark and you'll spend the first hour just exploring the apartment and taking it all in just how beautiful it is. Probably the best bed we've slept in too.

It might take you half an hour or so to get your head around the elaborate lighting system but it's worth it! We had minor problems with the kitchen sink on the first day, but someone came out within half an hour and fixed it.

Perfectly positioned for the centre of St Ives, private parking, practically with it's own beach... I could go on. I should have written a really bad review to try and keep the place all to myself!! But, the owners should be proud of what they've done here - it really is going to be very very hard to beat.

Liked best: All of it!
Liked least: Nothing...
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Marita999...
Braintree, United Kingdom
“Wow! Just, wow!”
Reviewed 14 August 2014 for a stay in August 2014
people found this review helpful

I am writing this review on our last night at Black Moon, with the patio doors open and the sea lapping onto the beach outside our window. Our 4 night stay at Black Moon is the first leg of our honeymoon, and if we didn't have some other wonderful places to visit, I would be refusing to leave! The apartment oozes style and quality, and the attention to detail is second to none. The location is excellent, with all of St Ives on our doorstep. Fabulous start to our married life!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Super chic decor and the location.
Liked least: Nothing! Maybe the price, but it was worth every penny.
Pickfitz
Aylesbury
“Well worth waiting for”
Reviewed 28 May 2014 for a stay in May 2014
person found this review helpful

Having seen Black Moon featured in a newspaper some time ago, I knew it would be the perfect place for our annual anniversary break. I tried for last year, but it was booked. So I booked at the time for this year. Well, we can say with all honesty it was well worth the wait.
It was everything we had imagined it would be. The location couldn't be bettered, literally on the sea with the sound of the waves a constant pleasure. The apartment itself is superbly appointed, with the attention to detail rivalling many of the 5* rated hotels we have stayed at. The lighting was fabulous, but most evenings we contented ourselves with a glass of wine and some - you'll understand when you get there - of the candles which are thoughtfully provided (and with an abundant replacement supply of the tealights). We loved the change in decor, from the light and airy feel of the living space which complimented perfectly the view, to the more intimate feel of the bedroom and bathroom. The mattress was incredibly comfortable, my husband reckons the best he's ever slept on, although we would have preferred firmer pillows. The bathroom is incredibly luxurious. Apart from tea in the morning we didn't really use the kitchen area, but it appeared to have everything you would need. Sitting at the breakfast bar overlooking the ever changing seascape couldn't be bettered, apart from perhaps waking up to the sound of the waves. The cellar was quirky, but we didn't use it as it smelt a bit musty (the only slight negative).
St Ives is a wonderful place to stay. We had some lovely walks along the headland - fortunately the weather was kind to us, although we had been looking forward to hearing and seeing dramatically crashing waves, rather than gently lapping, but you can't have everything. The town itself is lovely to wander around, with plenty of places to eat and lots of interesting shops and galleries. We had planned to tour Cornwall a bit, but decided to have a completely restful break as you can't improve on perfection. The parking space was a godsend and so the car had a holiday too.
Our highlights, apart from the apartment itself, which was wonderfully relaxing to sit with a book and was almost better than sitting on overcrowded beach; were a wonderful meal at Portmeor restaurant, which was completely unpretentious, but with fabulous food. And we bought some lovely art from the Art House Gallery, which is just 100 yards away and run by exceptionally friendly people who were incredibly helpful, knowledgeable and not at all pushy.
I have to say that we saved a bundle booking Black Moon so far in advance, but we felt that even at current prices we would feel this was well worth it. We had a fabulous stay and couldn't recommend this place highly enough. It is ideal for a romantic getaway. Treat yourselves! Our only dilemma is whether to return next year.

Liked best: Everything
Liked least: Nothing
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing