“superb breakfast”

and 1 more site!
Western Hotel
Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Room clean and tidy, bedding needs updating duvet cover had a hole in it. However the price we paid was very good. No parking. The breakfast was served in the lovely western grill, it was superb and the ladies who serve and cook are charming.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 February 2012

We stayed at this hotel last weekend and found the overall experience very pleasant for the price we paid. Firstly, parking in St Ives is very restricted, so nearly every hotel in the town does not provide on-site parking. We parked in the leisure centre car park for £20 for three days. Considering a hotel with parking would have cost about £20 a night more than the Western, this was still good value for money.

On arrival, there was no-one waiting at reception, however a note advised to call the bar, which we did and a friendly chap called Ben arrived, took payment and showed us to our room. Overall, the room was basic but functional. All I want from my hotel room is a bed, TV and a bathroom. All three were provided, and generally tidy. The wallpaper could have done with a refresh, but again, we were visiting out of season.

The bar was very well stocked with local ales and friendly locals. Prices were not expensive at all and there is a happy hour (!). The hotel is about a 5 minute walk from the harbour.

Breakfast was superb. By far the best breakfast I have had in any hotel, including 4*.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to anyone, however there are a lot of steps to the rooms. Not sure if there is wheelchair access, as I did not tour the entire hotel.

A friendly hotel, by no means basic, where the customer service makes you feel very welcomed.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 12 and could hear the boiler at times. However, did not notice this too much.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2011

When we arrived at this hotel, we didn't think it was going to be that great because of the reviews we had seen on here but we needed to stay somewhere a little cheaper for one night whilst we were away. However, we were pleasantly surprised. The room was lovely and clean, sheets were fresh on the bed, bathroom was clean. We didn't encounter any uncleanliness in this hotel at all.

The bar down stairs is noisy at night. I didn't think it would bother us as we tend to be the people in the bar! But we went up at about midnight and the noise continued for quite a bit. But if you take some ear plugs, you'll be fine - which I did so no big problem. I'm a light sleeper. My boyfriend who didn't have ear plugs and doesn't have trouble sleeping was not bothered by the noise. The bar is a nice place to hang out and we had a few pints there and were very entertained by the live music! We're not surprised that people wanted to carry on into the night!

The breakfast in the morning was lovely and the lady who served us was very polite and sweet. She went out of her way to make sure our dietary requirements were seen to without making a fuss and she was really friendly.

Parking is a little out of the way but it's not a bus ride away - it's a 3 minute walk (ok it's up quite a steep hill but you're not going to spend a huge amount of time in the car park! And it's not too expensive - it was something like £3.80 for overnight.

The hotel is close to the centre of St Ives so it's a perfect place to base yourselves whilst in Cornwall. There are a few little things you have to consider like noise, parking tiny bit out of the way - we're not so fussy but if these things may truly bother you, than perhaps you'd be better off paying a little extra for a hotel with parking that's a little bit outside of town for some peace.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mbp22
Reviewed 16 August 2011

We arrived at the Western hotel and thought it looked absolutely picturesque, we then suddenly realised we could not park our car anywhere to offload our luggage. Contacting the hotel, we soon found out that there was no available parking spaces apart from a carpark which is a £1.50 BUS RIDE away. This car parking then cost £6.30 a day and the car park it regularly full. Finally getting inside we had to wait at the reception area for 10 minutes for a member of staff to greet us and check us in. Not one member of staff was seen. Eventually getting our key we checked into to a top floor pokey room with hardly any breathing space. Our reciept said FAMILY ROOM-Sleeps 3, but we got a disgusting room, with no space, no window view, apart from a Taxi Rank which became a large problem when trying to sleep. The sink to the bathroom was at the foot of my bed rather than inside or further away. A strange smell occured from the drains of the toilet and a horrible musky smell from the 2cm thick bed linin. My bed was the equivelent to lying on a wooden box. The curtain rail fell off whilst we showered. The first thing that came to mind when I entered the room was 'Prison Cell' Oh no, perhaps that's too generous? It took alot of hard work to scrape enough money to pay £80 a night in this disgusting place which had staff that were rarely seen and not in appropriate uniform such as beach clothes annd short casual tubeskirts. An absolute dissapointment, and ruined the whole atmosphere of the holiday. We just wanted to go home but we'd paid too much money to throw it away. We shall most definitely be avoiding this hell hole in the future.
Not an idyllic accomodation for families and children.

Room Tip: Always read reviews and do your absolute best research before booking!!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank MancunianKid
Reviewed 30 July 2011

Spur of the moment booking , usual hotel full. Very nasty room over looking the bus stop and above the bar. Room yuck with faded and burnt carpet, dirty shower , disgusting net curtain covering filthy window. Buses stopped at around midnight then the rebel rousers from the bar below went on until 2 am shouting, smoking , singing, crying, scate boarding, taxis tooting, then delivery van at about 6am dropping off stuff at the shop across the road, then the bin van.
Complained to the manager ( once I finnally found him } he told me to keep my voice down , not to wake the guests !! err that would be me then.

Room changed next day now over looking the back of the curry house and the mexican restaurant, above the function room that was playing jazz, I'm not fond of jazz, I prefer music.,
Room not cleaned or bathroom, only the duvet pulled up, no replenishing of tea and cofee, used cup unwashed. Hallway carpet full of dirt and crap, never hoovered once in 3 days, stair bannister sticky to touch. All in all not a very nice place to stay. DO NOT RECOMEND.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank jinnty
Reviewed 12 June 2011

I stayed here just a few weeks ago and I thought it was ideal! I was visiting St Ives to attend a job interview and stayed for one night.

I believe I checked in with the manager/owner who was chatty and friendly. I'd booked a single room but he informed me that they had upgraded me to a double and also that the price I had paid included breakfast (Didn't say this on Laterooms) So was very happy from the word go!

Room and ensuite were both clean and comfortable and exactly what I expected.

There was some noise from the bar below that evening, but the owner had mentioned that there was a band on. Plus I didn't mind too much because I was awake anyway.

Yes there are renovations going on but they didn't start till around 9am the next day so not disruptive to me at all.

I unfortunately didn't get chance for breakfast here as I had to go pretty quickly but I'm sure it would have been great (dining area looked lovely!)

Overrall - I thought this was ideal and would stay again for longer.

Many thanks!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank bakemyday
Reviewed 25 April 2011

After a long day travelling, we where very dissapointed by this hotel,the room was not cleaned very well,the shower hose was broken and leaking water everywhere,the shower curtain was mouldy and falling off the rail. We had intended to inform managment but they where nowhere to be found. After a very long sleepless night due to live bands playing in the pub downstairs till 1am then revellers talking loudly till 2am outside and a delivery truck arrivng at the store accross the road at 6:30am to do its deliveries,and the bedbugs, we had had enough. We then went out for the morning only to find when we returned we were locked out of our room for 2 hours while waiting for a locksmith as the cleaners had latched the lock from the inside. When we finally did get into the room we were greeted by coffee cups that had not been washed,towels that had not been changed and a bathroom that was not cleaned,it seems all the cleaners did was staighten the bed, and still management was nowhere to be found. Breakfast was a choice of cereal or a full english. All in all this is a terrible place to stay in a noisy area. Guests are left unattended,the staff are unprofessional and customer service is almost non existent.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple