“BEWARE!Shabby, over-hyped and out-dated at 5 star prices”

Tregenna Castle Resort
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Truro, United Kingdom
“BEWARE!Shabby, over-hyped and out-dated at 5 star prices”
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I recently had the dubious pleasure of attending a wedding function at this hotel and stayed one night in the so-called ''Luxury hotel accommodation''. Having spent £170 in advance for one night bed and breakfast, I was not expecting to be treated to the delights of original 60's decor, lino flooring in the bathroom, a luke-warm shower, miniscule T.V, non-existent hair drier and a jaw-dropping view of steel piping emanating from the kitchen below.
How this hotel can charge these extortionate prices is beyond me - it definitely relies heavily on its location, grounds and view, as the food, service and accommodation are mediocre at best. I notice from some of the replies on here that management maintain that a redecoration programme is in place;however the rooms need more than just a paint job. There are cheaper 4 star hotels located in the centre of London. In addition the pricing structure seems totally arbitary - just prior to checking out on Sunday morning I happened to speak to a couple of guests that had stayed overnight. One of these had booked at the last minute and obtained a room for £85, the other guest had complained at such a vast discrepancy in the room price for the same standard of room, and subsequently received an on the spot £85 refund. I then went to check out, raised the same issue, and staff denied all knowledge of the previous customer complaint. On requesting the on-duty manager to attend, I was eventually refunded a derisory £25. I understand that hotels have last minute deals but you would have thought that a wedding party, spending thousands of pounds for an all inclusive function would have been looked after. This was far from the case.
In summing up, I would only visit for the golf, grounds and view and there is no way I would advise wasting your money on accommodation or functions here. Being from Cornwall myself, I was hoping that this hotel would have lived up to the local hype, but it only left me feeling disappointed and let down. There is far better accommodation available in Cornwall at much more resonable and acceptable prices.

Room Tip: Stay in the self catering chalets not in the hotel itself.
8 Thank AshMike2007
, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, 28 June 2012
Thank you for your review. We value all reviews, be they positive or negative, as they help us to improve.
I would like to assure you that our pricing system is far from arbitrary. Our priority, after guest satisfaction, is maintaining a full hotel or, at least, as close to it as we can achieve. Therefore, when the hotel has empty rooms, we offer special deals at reduced rates, as does any busy hotel.
Furthermore, the rate that one pays to stay at Tregenna Castle is for more than just accommodation. It is also for the location and the many facilities that we have on offer, which include indoor and outdoor swimming pools, tennis, badmington, squash and full use of the gym and leisure centre.
As you reside in Cornwall you should be aware that we are a popular holiday destination and that we are competitively priced, in comparison with any other three star hotel in the area, that has a lot less to offer.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (855)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Exeter Devon England UK
Reviewed 25 June 2012

We chose this hotel as it was part of a package for the function that we were attending. I thought room was very pricey based what we got for double occupancy per night for bed and breakfast but as we asked for a sea view I was prepared to accept that premium rates apply. I must admit the uninterrupted view of the hotel grounds and St Ives and the bay was splendid. The room was reasonably well furnished and the bed was spacious and comfortable, but that was about it as far as the room was concerned. The old wooden sash windows were ill fitting and rattled profusely in the wind. The air conditioning is provided by opening these windows, which cannot be left open if you are not occupying the room due to the fact that the hotel management advise you that leaving windows open will encourage wild birds to enter the room in your absence and help themselves to any food and other shiny objects!

The ageing en-suite bathroom which had been partitioned from the main room was poor. The enamel bath was chipped in several places, and the small bathroom was poorly appointed. The shower being integral to the bath taps was over the bath with a flimsy plastic curtain draped from a rail. The worst bit of all was the toilet. A “growling” macerator together with an mildly unpleasant smell serviced the toilet, which from time to time automatically operated despite the toilet not being used. This this did not bode well for a good night’s sleep together with the rattling windows.

The breakfast was okay and plentiful. The leisure facilities are good and the grounds are well appointed and maintained. The function itself that we were attending was very enjoyable, good food, good service, well organised and credit to the hotel organisers and staff. The staff are helpful and pleasant. The public areas are comfortable and okay.

Ordinarily I would have complained about the room quality bearing in mind the price we had paid for it, however I didn’t because I we had set our hearts on a sea view and I did not want to dampen the spirits of the event which we were attending. I feel uncomfortable when I say negative things about a hotel that I have known about for several years and generally heard good reports about, but maybe those reports were when it was in its heyday. In future I would recommend it for a function but seriously consider staying elsewhere unless they modernise the rooms and/or charge a price that reflects the quality of the accommodation.

Room Tip: Have a look at your room and bathroom before you agree to accept the keys!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Whizzer50
, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
Thank you for taking, what must have been considerable time, to post such an extensive review. Thank you, as well, for the compliments regarding our staff, food and service.
We are very glad that you enjoyed the function, that you were attending and that you found it well organised and a credit to the hotel.
As this building is quite old and is listed, we are limited to what we can do to alter the aesthetic of the exterior, which includes the windows. However, our Maintenance Team will investigate. Health and Safety legislation dictate how far the windows should open. We only advise that guests close their windows when they are away, as we can not control the actions of the birds. Finches, Magpies and even Seagulls do enter the rooms and pierce milk tops, steal biscuits and occasionally steal shinny objects.
Hopefully, this will not dissuade you from returning and that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back, before long.
Bristol
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I booked a couple of nights in mid June 2012. The rate I paid was suposedly half price and that just about summed up the place. I paid £85 per night for what turned out to be a family room. I booked a twin. The room was shabby and TV didn't work. in addition the TV was a small flatscreen perched in a cupboard and couldn't be seen from most of the room.
The bathroom was old and needed refurbishment, although the shower worked well and would have been pleasant has it not been for the "stick to you like (cold) glue" shower curtain. At night we were entertained with a selection of "plumbing noises". Didn't keep us awake but added to the general poor feeling presented by the building.
On the plus side, the staff were really helpful and cheerful and the views and grounds were fantastic. Food was limited to breakfast and was what you would expect from a hotel buffet; the staff were helpful though and eating there was a pleasant enough experience.
Overall I liked the hotel and at the price (not much more that a holiday Inn) it was good value. If I had paid the full price I would have been very disappointed.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Little_Bear_10
We are very grateful that you consider our staff helpful, cheerful and pleasant and that overall you felt that you received good value for money. Thank you.
We have a programme of maintenance underway and will address the issues that you raised.
In the meantime, we sincerely hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back, by visiting us again.
North Wales
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Just come back from a four night self catering stay at Tregenna Castle and loved it all. I'd read the reviews on here after booking and was open minded in what we'd find when we got there but I've only good things to say. We stayed in the lodges overlooking the golf course and were very happy with the standard of accommodation. The kitchen equipment was good quality and there were plenty of pots, pans etc for us to use (although cleaning scrambled egg off a non-stick pan was a bit of chore!). While it may sound a little petty to put on a review, the bonus for us was the fact that they supplied plenty of towels and toilet paper something we usually forget to take with us)The views from the hotel were fantastic and it was only a 10 - 15 minute walk into St Ives itself, a bonus when parking in the picturesque town is at a premium.
While we didn't actually eat in the hotel, or use their facilities (too many other things to see and do in this part of the world) the staff were really friendly and helpful both on booking in and out. Would certainly recommend this as a self catering holiday.

1 Thank Jellybellynorthwales
Thank you very much for your review. We are very pleased that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. We are grateful for the five star rating and any potential recommendations.
As far as we are concerned; if toilet paper and towels make you happy, then they make us happy, too!
We are also happy that you came down and formed your own opinions of us and were not too influenced by reviews.
We hope to see you here again before too long.
exeter devon
Reviewed 24 June 2012

i have stayed at this Hotel many times over years business and pleasure. on this occassion stayed two nights B and B. we love Hotel...staff very friendly.. breakfast excellent. we have never moaned before, but i have to high light a few things. we paid £90 per couple per night which was supposed to be half price.? i find that hard to believe. we were put in room 131. think ive been in it before. room was clean and had everything we needed..but it is now looking tired and needs a refurb...the bed more exactly the mattress seemed to slope and was squeeky not in any way confortable.there was a knocking noise in the room during both nights which although not loud got on our nerves,seemed to be coming from pipework? didnt complain at the time but did put all this on feedback form and mentioned it to receptionist who said she would pass it on..who to .?

Room Tip: check it out first.
2 Thank devonwebby
, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
Thank you very much for taking time to post a review and also, for your loyalty over the years. We greatly appreciate the kind comments regarding our staff and breakfast.
I am sorry that this visit did not meet your usual expectations and that you experienced discomfort. We wish that you had raised these issue during your stay as, I can assure you, we would have done our utmost to rectify any problems, immediately.
You queried too whom the receptionist would pass your issues; well, the bed would be to our Housekeeping Manager, the knocking noise to our Maintenance Team and your dissatisfaction to the General Manager and myself.
We sincerely hope that you will continue to use our hotel and that we can welcome you back, soon.
Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Have just returned from a very pleasant stay at Tregenna. Most notable was the friendliness of the staff with a special mention for those on the gate and night reception. Their cheery smiles and waves helped bring a ray of sunshine to our wet June stay. Thank you. Restaurant service was efficient and food good. All in all an excellent experience.
Just one thing gave us cause for concern. We stayed in a sef catering cottage and were concerned that although there were notices about the telephone number to call in the event of a fire, no telephone was available to enable this to be done should it be necessary.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Brea1954
, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, 23 June 2012
We are very pleased that despite the inclement weather, you were able to enjoy your visit to St.Ives and in particular, your time with us.
Thank you for the kind compliments regarding our staff, service and food. The chaps will be pleased with the special mention.
It is certainly a valid concern that you raised, regarding the phone and we will investigate phone placement in our self catering properties. Please be assured, though, that all of our staff have been trained in ‘Fire Awareness’ and all of our properties are equip with smoke detectors, alarms and extinguishers.
We hope that this concern will not dissuade you from returning and we sincerely hope to welcome you back.
Devon
Reviewed 22 June 2012

We booked a self catering apartment. Our initial impression was that it was quite dark and the decor dated, although it was reasonably well equipped. We felt we should have been shown the apartment by a member of staff rather than just handed the key. Sound insulation between apartments was poor - we could hear the people upstairs walking across the laminate floor and doors slamming during the night, and the soil pipe went through bedroom 2 so you could hear whenever they flushed the chain or had a shower - which seemed to happen throughout the night! Also the loo lid in one of the en-suites came off when using for first time.

We were offered alternative accommodation or a full refund, and initially found staff very helpful and understanding. However, there was one member of staff on reception who came across as quite aggressive and lacking in customer care skills. The TV didn't work in the second unit we moved to (in Castle Village) and the traffic noise from the road nearby did disrupt our sleep - the people staying next to us also complained about it, however the unit was comfortable and well equipped, and the beds were very comfortable. The TV was replaced very swiftly with a more modern flat screen one, however when maintenance removed the old TV the following day they left the dvd player with only one battery in it!

I spoke to the duty manager and was promised a call the next day which I never received, and it seemed there was a general lack of communication amongst management/reception. On arriving home I outlined our experiences in a letter to the general manager. Whilst we appreciated the noise from other guests was out of their control, we felt her reply just stated what happened and what they did, rather than offer a suitable apology.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't book accommodation near the main road as can hear the lorries, and ideally b...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank tinmine
Thank you for taking the additional time to post a review, as well as sending us letters.
We felt that the situation that you describe was brought to a state of closure, when we sent you a response to your initial letter.
Upon reviewing the aforementioned response I can see that an apology was proffered for any inconvenience caused by our oversite and did not feel an apology was due for circumstances derived from ‘force majeure’.
You were suitably compensated and we feel we did our utmost to try to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. I do not think that we could have done enough.
Also consider these accommodations in or near St Ives
Pedn Olva Hotel
Pedn Olva Hotel
#5 of 21 in St Ives
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay

Been to Tregenna Castle Resort? Share your experiences!