“Spectacular!!!!!”

Tregenna Castle Resort
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in St Ives
Reviewed 5 March 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at Tregenna last week for 2 nights...I wish it had been 10!

From the moment we arrived and saw the amazing setting for ourselves I knew we had found somewhere special. We were greeted by one of the lovely ladies on reception and speedily checked in. After reading certain reviews on here I wasn't sure what to expect from our room but I'm happy to say I was very pleasantly surprised. The room was very large and dual aspect so lovely and light. We had a super Kingsize bed which was indeed 2 singles zip locked together. Why people have a problem with this we were unable to fathom! There was also a generous supply of tea, coffee and milk which is a rarity now days. Did our bath have a couple of chips in the enamel...yes it did. Did it bother me...not in the slightest. At 5'11 I would rather have a bath that I can actually stretch out in than some new plastic monstrosity that I would struggle to bath my children in! I must add that both the bedroom and bathroom were absolutely spotless.

We were on a £99 for 2 nights b&b deal which included 20% off the evening menu which equated to £18 for 3 courses. For the quality of food this was a total bargain! The pigeon breast starter and game pie main were 2 of our particular favourites. The marshmallow and bubblegum parfait not only made me smile because it was so pretty but tasted wonderful as well.

Some people have commented on the drinks being expensive. £7 for a pint of lager and a JD and coke is not what I would call excessive especially in a hotel.

We also sampled the afternoon tea which was on a buy one get one free deal. All I can us make sure your hungry because its enormous and totally delicious!

Breakfast was one of the nicest I have had at any hotel. All the ingredients used were of a good quality and there was plenty of choice. The lovely chef who was replenishing the hot food couldn't have been more obliging.

We didn't use the leisure facilities but they looked very nice from what we could see.

The walk into St Ives is very steep but the gardens are so beautiful you really won't mind. Most people get a taxi back up to the hotel but we decided to accept the challenge of walking back up...I have just about recovered now :0$

From the beginning every single member of staff at Tregenna went out of their way to make us feel welcome and ensure we had a good stay. I really can't praise them enough. When we were checking out we spoke with Fred (guest relations) and it was easy to see how passionate he is about making sure everyone has a good stay.

My partner and I have both totally fallen in love with St Ives and will be making many more trips back there and we shall of course be staying at this truly fabulous hotel :0)

• Stayed: March 2013
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2013

What a fantastic, complimentary and enthusiastic review. It was a pleasure to read!
Thank you very much for taking, what must have been considerable time, to write this review and for rating us with five stars.
It was a pleasure to meet you and your partner and have a very pleasant conversation.
I sincerely hope that you will come and visit us again, even though it is a long way to travel. Perhaps you can bring your children next time, I hope so.

There are newer reviews for Tregenna Castle Resort

Reviewed 4 March 2013

We went on a long family weekend (friday-sunday) with our 3 children all under the age of 10yrs - The family room was of a good size with two adjoining rooms with a door inbetween so you can still have privacy. The decor was in good taste and clean and tidy.
The staff very friendly and helpful, food (only went to bar area) really good value for money.
The grounds area well maintained and a pretty route down to the town centre.
The only downside is the rooms are rather warm!
Overall i would recommend to everyone and yes i would good back

Room Tip: we didnt have a sea view and there was a little noise from the (i think) aircon
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review and thank you for your compliments.
We are really pleased that you and your family enjoyed your time with us and that the configuration of your room meet with your approval.
We are extremely grateful that you would recommend us and that you would come back. We hope that you come back sooner rather than later.

Reviewed 4 March 2013

Stayed at Tregenna Castle Hotel for a long weekend early March. The Hotel is set in a beautiful location overlooking St Ives bay below. The reception staff were very welcoming & informative, told us about the lovely walk down to the town through the castle grounds. Our room was very comfortable & well equipped, overlooking the bay, it was stunning. We had dinner in the restaurant & again the staff were cheerful & very helpful. The set 3 course menu was very reasonable & enjoyable, same to be said for breakfast, plenty of choice. The staff at this hotel are a real attribute coupled with the location I would readily recommend Tregenna. I have stayed at hotels all over the world & Tregenna Hotel reminded me what wonderful people & locations we have in the UK. Thanks to all.

Room Tip: Pay a small supplement to have sea view, really worth it, to wake up in the morning & look out o...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2013

Thank you very much for your flattering and complimentary review and for rating us with five stars.
We are very lucky to be situated where we are. Somebody, a long time ago, had excellent foresight. We are also very lucky to have conscientious and dedicated staff and are grateful that you noticed their contributions.
Thank you also, for any recommendations that you may make. I hope that we will see you here again soon.

Reviewed 4 March 2013

We have just returned from a lovely weekend at this hotel,the rooms were excellent along with the staff,we only had breakfast here we didnt eat in resturant but breakfast was really nice plenty of it.Its just a short walk to St Ives harbour .

Room Tip: we had room 142 out standing views of the harbour
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lolly4

Thank you very much for your review, your compliments and for the five star rating.
We are extremely pleased that you had a good time and sincerely hope that you will visit us again.

Reviewed 4 March 2013

We went during the February half term week for four nights (mon to fri). The hotel is set in beautiful grounds and the view from our room over St Ives was just wonderful. The room itself was spacious enough for the four of us and was kept very clean and the tea and coffee facilities were topped up every day.The only little niggle we had was the windows rattling during the night as it became windy.The staff were very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was absolutely wonderful (my daughters aged 12 and 10 were amazed!). We had two evening meals during our stay and were very satisfied. We used the swimming pool and jacuzzi several times and it was never overcrowded (it looks a little tired and could do with a little facelift). My husband used the golf course 3 times and thoroughly enjoyed it. We also walked into St Ives several times which took us approximately 15 minutes. Overall we were very pleased with our stay and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to people.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your visit and that you had the opportunity to take advantage of our facilities.
We are also pleased, and grateful, that you enjoyed your meals in our restaurant and that you girls were impressed.
We would be extremely happy for any recommendations that you may make and hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back sometime in the future.

Reviewed 4 March 2013

This was my my sixth stay in the tregenna over the past few years. I have stayed for both business and leisure. The hotel is over 200 years old and therefore requires a lot of maintenance. I have noticed that the hotel undergoes almost constant decoration etc. The rooms are clean, comfortable and in good decorative order. The public areas have been preserved in their original style. The gardens are impressive and well maintained. The gym, pool and spa area are a welcome retreat to a chilly spring day. There were a couple of downsides to our recent stay:1. The heating was not working in the room we were originally allocated. However, it was explained that some piping had been replaced and this had caused some problems with the heating system. We were promptly moved to another comfortable room. 2. The pool temperature was a little cool. This was no problem for me as i was still able to have a swim. Other guests had commented that they informed hotel staff of this. Breakfast is more than adequate. All in all i would highly recommend a stay at the tregenna.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your loyalty over the past few years, we are grateful for your return custom.
Thank you as well, for noticing our constant efforts to upgrade and renovate. We do try, but occasionally our hard work goes unnoticed.
I hope that you will be gracing us with visit number seven, soon.

Reviewed 4 March 2013

After booking this initially as a 'dirty weekend away' looking at the website Myself and My partner saw that it catered for weddings and quite basically said sod it lets get married whilst we are there if we can!! I called Tregenna and spoke to Will who over the phone provisionally booked the date (23/02/13), even then he was calm and although I was full of questions and queries he alleviated my fears. After phone calls and emails over Christmas and new year, the 22nd Feb was upon us and we were travelling down to St Ives. On arrival, from first contact with George who was on the entrance driveway I knew that everything was going to be fine. The drive from the road to the castle was breathtaking, the view over St Ives bay and the gardens were amazing. We were very early arriving at Tregenna went in (to be nosey more than anything) OMG, when we walked in I was blown away.........not because it was this trendy boutique hotel, but because it was a castle, the whole demeanor of the entrance heavy doors, hall that screamed CASTLE.........leather sofa's Grandfather clocks, Grand Piano beautiful!!!!!! Lisa & Lynne who were on reception were so friendly, made us feel more than welcome and when I explained that we were getting married the next day, were more excited for us, than we were!!!! We asked to see Will just to discuss bits and pieces, and he was there and what a Gent, I really don't know what I was so nervous about. After a short trip down into St Ives, we returned to the rooms ready, and an easy check in. Our room absolutely perfect, sea view four poster, clean just lovely. Dont get me wrong, it is a 200yr old castle and there was some tatty paint in the bathroom, but as I laid in the bath with oodles of hot water there was nothing that I could fault. I had a beauty treatment booked at 3pm, just a bit of pampering pre wedding..........again OMG, the 'girls' in the beauty centre were great, the treatment was out of this world, and so professionally delivered. My mum needed a manicure and they booked her in for 9am the next morning with no bother at all. My mother in law had a bit of a chilly room and I'm a bit of a lizard hate the cold, but I could not complain about our room it was perfect. The morning of the wedding I went down to breakfast with Mum, the breakfast room was bright and airy, the food on offer was fresh and plentiful, and the coffee hot and not stewed, the staff friendly and attentive absolutely nothing that I could fault. After breakfast I went for a swim, not a purpose built environment, but the water was clean, albeit slightly cold, and perfectly serviceable. Had a jacuzzi, after which was divine, sauna again divine, really hot not lukewarm like I have encountered elsewhere. Was feeling really nervous at this point and Sam came to my rescue, bringing me a large Hendricks!!! It was then time to have hair and make up done........Sarah Veal the hairdresser at Tregenna, another thing that I was slightly worried about........Why??? I have no idea!!! She was so lovely, and so professional having never met pre this, she made my hair look amazing and Penny the make up lady was brilliant also..........I shouldn't have worried at all. Becky and Zoe the 2 staff that dealt with the wedding were so good always there when needed but conspicuous also, cant fault these two at all. The last thing that could have gone wrong was the wedding breakfast................and it blew us and our guests away. The taste, freshness, creativity and attention to detail was second to none, down to the cornish pasties that we asked for for the evening......perfect. The hard work, professionalism and dedication to Tregenna from the persons mentioned in this review is unrivalled, I cannot Fault or Thank Tregenna, Will, George, Lisa, Lynne, Julie, Sam, Becky, Zoe, Sarah or Penny enough for making Our special Day/Weekend so so memorable and Perfect.

Room Tip: If able add on a sea view for a supplement its well worth it
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Wow, what a review! Thank you very much.
We remember you and your wedding, fondly and sincerely admire your spontaneity.
We wish you and your new husband the best of luck for the future and also thank you for your plethora of compliments.
All of the staff that you listed, were thrilled to get a mention, especially Will who got three, I believe!
We truly hope that you will come back and visit us again, perhaps for that weekend you mentioned.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Ives
Chy-An-Albany
Chy-An-Albany
#8 of 20 in St Ives
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay

Been to Tregenna Castle Resort? Share your experiences!