“Amazing!!!”

Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Helston, United Kingdom
“Amazing!!!”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I first went to this hotel with my sisters and my mum. We stayed in a family room and it was amazing. We played tennis, went swimming and waled down to the town. The second time we went was only for 1 day because we felt like having a bit of a holiday. This time we stayed in one of the little cottages. They were lovely, we had a barbecue outside (they had little table for them) and we played Badminton, squash and everything. After this i got addicted to this place and begged my parents to take me. Then for my birthday we stayed in one of the big lodges. I had 5 friends and they all loved it and their now all begging their mums to take them. That wasnt even the last time we went! We also went there on new year. It was amazing we stayed in the cottage right down the hill, as if you were walking to town. It was lush. It had its own little garden and it was really nice. The food was amazing. The people were really friendly and nice. The veiw is to die for.
I really dont know why people are giving it bad reviews!

Room Tip: If you where looking for a place just to sleep go into the hotel main part but if you are trying to...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Claire N
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Thank you for your lovely review and excellent rating.
We are sincerely, very happy that your affection has become contagious among your friends, and hope that you will all come back and visit us soon.
Thank you to your mother, too, for bringing you here in the first place.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (856)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights on a deal valued at £700. I paid £329 for a room with a sea view.
The grounds and the view could not be faulted.
The staff were first class both friendly and accommodating.
The self service breakfast was of a good standard.
The facilities were all as described being used by the world and it's wife.
The hotel was not as expected.Had it been used for hotel guests only it would not have been so bad.
There was a wedding on each of our 4 day stay.
On our arrival after an 8 hour drive we were given a key to room 128 ( no offer of help with our luggage). It had a great overview of the bay AND THAT WAS IT.
The room itself was clean but very tired.The bath had more chips in than a fish and chip shop.
We decided to make the best of it after being told that foam pillows were all that we're available (for hygiene reasons ) and that an iron and board were not allowed (for health and safety reasons ) We did get and iron and board after pressing the request.
After going for a walk to town and then dinner in the hotel we retired to our room for a relaxing nights sleep.
THAT IS WHEN OUR TROUBLES STARTED.
In this room there was not a proper plumed in toilet.
All through the night it automatically flushed making a grinding noise and emitting an overpowing smell of surage.We got very little sleep.
In the morning I reported this to the duty manager and was informed that they had this trouble the day before and thought that it had been fixed and as the hotel was full she was not sure that we could be moved.
After a few hours I went to enquire about a move and was told that they had managed to offer us room 118 for 1 night and if that was acceptable we would have to packup and store our luggage as the room was not available to later in the day.
This room was acceptable and a good nights sleep was had.
The next day the general manager offered to refund our first nights stay as the room was not fit for purpose and that we could move to room 109 for the next 2 nights.This was a newly renovated room and of a good standard.
However the location was noisy, not only did we have children running up and down the corridor outside our room we had loud music from the wedding discotheque and boisterous conversation from the patio bar until late in the evening, resulting in us not being able to get to sleep until after midnight.
To make matters worse at about 3 o'clock until 6 o'clock in the morning for the 2 nights we were awoken by the screeching of the seagulls nesting on the roof.
This far from what we were looking forward to,a relaxing stay exploring Beautiful Cornwall ( our first time ) but not our last.
This company has yet to establish if to market this as a hotel or leisure complex. I feel that it is leaning more to the leisure complex due to the amount of non residents using the facilities .
Please spend the money and charge the price to bring this hotel up to the standard it deserves.

Room Tip: Try for a room as far away from reception with a sea view.
1 Thank PeterC157
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
We are pleased so many aspects of your visit were acceptable and thank you for your compliments, particularly those directed at our staff.
I am very sorry for the disturbance caused by the macerating lavatory, a technician had been the day before and signed off that it was working properly. We have been back in touch with him.
Again, I can only apologise for the disturbance caused by the revellers. Our Night Manager would have asked them to be considerate, had he been informed.
I hope that you will give us another chance during one of your future visits to Cornwall.
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We've played golf at Tregenna before so decided to book a table for the evening carvery, that was the start of the problems.

Every time I phoned, I ended up talking to the voicemail and when I specified that I want to book a table and to ask a call back to confirm that they have booked the table, I received two voicemails to check to see whether or not I wanted the table. This wasn't what I asked for, I wanted to book and needed a confirmation, after numerous voicemails, someone actually phoned back to say that they have booked the table.

When we arrived, we went to the bar and waited as there was no one at the bar, then after five minutes, a member of staff appeared and said "mate, use the other bar".

First of all, you don't greet guests as "mate".

Then when we finally found the carver restaurant, our booking wasn't listed but as the room was half empty, they had a table for us.

When we sat, bread rolls were dished out, but there was no butter on the table so I asked a waiter for some butter, this took so long (10 minutes) that we gave up and went to another table and took their butter.

The tables were poorly dressed, plastic table covers with cutlery wrapped in paper napkin's in a pot on the middle of the table. True café style, rather than a 3 star hotel.

The food was good though, you can't fault the carvery. The dessert was nice but limited choice available.

There was live music which is a nice touch.

After our mains (no staff checked on us to see whether anything was fine), they cleared the mains but we had to wait for another 20 minutes before anyone took the dessert order, there were plenty of staff working so there was no excuse for this delay.

We had to ask for water as there wasn't any placed on the table, this took 5 minutes and then a waitress brought over two pint glasses and said we had to share that as they had no water jugs left. She didn't give us individual glasses though, I'm surprised that she didn't us straws to share the water out of the pint glass.

The soft drinks were extortionate prices for what they were, a pint of coke with ice was £4.00 and it was fully loaded up with ice, so in reality you get half a pint at least. Also, there was only one barman working and there was a long queue waiting to be served, the bar can easily accommodate two bar staff.

Tregenna Castle, you really need to train your staff to ensure that tables are looked after properly even though there was a wedding on, you had plenty of staff working so there was no excuse.

This is a 3 star hotel, charging 4 star prices with 2 star standards.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank slappymarine
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
It certainly sounds as though your overall dining experience was not particularly pleasant and for that I am sincerely sorry.
The issues that you raised certainly need to be addressed and have been raised with our Food and Beverage Manager.
I am pleased that the food was good and hope that you will continue to play golf with us and perhaps give us another chance to impress you.
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2013

This year for are annual pilgrimage to St Ives, Cornwall, I talked family & friends to stay over night in this beautiful harbor town. Mainly to not have to leave on the train so early, latest leaving just after 21:00 back to Plymouth.

We stayed @ the Tregenna castle hotel. The grounds are beautiful all the staff were friendly & professional. The downstairs lobby, bars etc are all will fitted and a nice place to be.

Now the down side, the rooms. Small dated no ceiling fans or air con. we had 3 rooms in our party, 1 couple asked to be moved so thats four rooms in all. very small double beds, bathrooms have badly broken tiles around them, the shower ran either hot or cold with no happy medium, squeaky floors etc a total contrast to downstairs areas. Worst though in this summers beautiful heatwave, with such small beds and no air flow in the rooms sleep was nearly impossible. we went to bed after one in the morning and were both awake by 03:30 to hot and no air to breath at this point made sleep impossible.
Breakfast was great, made better by being able to breath again.

The owners have it all at their finger tips prime location, stunning harbour town & great staff, invest in your bedrooms, without this you will fall down at some point. A shame should easily have had four stars.

Room Tip: dont sleep over
1 Thank Martyn C
As I mentioned in my responses to both your comment card and email, we are investing in the rooms. And for the amount of hot days that we experience in this area of the country, air conditioning is not necessary.
Considering the content of your review, I feel that your review title and rating are surprisingly unfair.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2013

This hotel has the potential to be great five star hotel, but has two star quality. The exterior is gorgeous looking, the location is second to none, nice gardens with a golf course that is around a fifteen minute walk to the beach downhill and around 30 uphill but with is worth the walk, an ideal location for weddings and more.
On the surface, the entrance looks passable, look a little closer and you will notice the signs of poor maintenance and management, cheep flooring, poor wiring work and general bodge work on the decor not to mention the greenery growing out of the castle turrets.
We stayed in room 86 “the room from hell” it was hot hot hot, the hottest I have ever been in my life I got heat bumps on my figures! I have been to Jamaica, Barbados, Spain and many more hot locations but a hotel in St Ieves England got me!
Was the air-conditioning not working? I hear you say. It was working somewhere but just was not fitted in the room; there was no air con! However, there were duvets; but surely, you just sleep with the sheets only then if it was hot? What sheets! There were no sheets but three spare duvets. We took the duvets out and tried to sleep with the covers, my top tip is to request a room with air-conditioning if they have it?
The bathroom was the cheapest that they could possibly find, and it was poorly maintained with stainless steel brass and plastic fittings the shower curtain as around three different old stained plastic hocks that was falling apart and a shelf was useless so we had nowhere to put our toiletries. I have never used a bathroom as basic and as ugly as that before, but it was clean.
The room was a two star at the most, the walls in the kids room had damp stains, the carpets were heavily stained, but it did have two flat screen TV’s and one of them worked! In addition, tea and coffee and a kettle, but no fridge and they will not provide an iron for your room so if you have a wedding bring your own and maybe a mini fridge (another top tip).
We had a meal in the restaurant there, all I can say the staff need training, they had no idea whatsoever on service from what looked like the manager to the trainee who jumped in to help. The food was good I had the best chips I have ever tasted in my life but the front of house let the kitchen down, the service at breakfast was outstanding as it was self service! Moreover, the food was good again.
The facilities were a bonus they have a indoor and outdoor swimming pool and a gym that were passable but I would have given it up for a nice rooms and air con, a fridge, and iron and working TV’s, the Travelodge offer better accommodation that cost a lot less.
This place needs a Morgan’s Hotel Group takeover and refurbishment, it is a gold mine that is badly run, whoever owns it needs to sell it to someone that will give the building and the location what it deserves. Once that happens I will then and only then return.

Room Tip: Tesco’s around five minutes away.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
I am sorry that so many aspects of your stay proved disappointing to you, and that you would not return.
You, or I, would be hard pressed to find any hotel in the region that had air condition, especially one that is over 230 years old. And ordinarily there is no requirement for it. I apologise for your discomfort, though.
I have checked the televisions in room 86, and they are both operational.
If you were to compare our prices to other hotels in the area, that do not provide the same facilities, you would see our prices are wholly competitive.
Despite the overall negativity of your review, I am happy and grateful that you found some areas to compliments us on, thank you.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We paid £350 for two nights so were expecting something a bit special. Whilst the grounds and exterior are beautiful the interior is run down and needs some investment. We paid extra for a west wing sea view bedroom and whilst my understanding is that these rooms had been recently renovated it was very basic with a rickety pine bed with lumpy mattress, old wardrobe and bathroom complete with fluorescent light stripping but little else.
Service not brilliant either, no help offered with bags and when we asked for help almost needed to justify ourselves (my husband had a bad back and I'm pregnant). Breakfast poor, no toast offered and no fresh tea or coffee - only available from machines. Exception to service was Jane on reception who was very helpful and arranged a refund for our second nights stay as we left early.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
I am extremely sorry that you felt that you had to leave early, and also that you were disappointed with your visit.
Although, I am reluctant to contradict you; we happily and regularly assist our guests with their luggage, we do provide toast, and fresh tea or coffee is available by the pot, upon request.
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Just returned from a short break at Tregenna Castle and from reading the reviews I was a little concerned at what awaited us. My only small complaint was the walkway to the indoor pool - needed a good clean. However ,the staff were outstanding, very helpful and friendly, Lisa on reception was a joy. The room (room 9 we stayed) did perhaps need a little updating but I was pleasantly surprised as it was big, clean and very acceptable with a stunning sea view. Room service was superb. The breakfast was a joy with everything you could think of. Dinner was equally excellent and the location is second to none. What more would you want.
We had a wonderful stay and will be returning very soon. Thank you Tregenna.

Room Tip: Choose a sea view
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post this review and for your wonderful compliments. I am happy that you enjoyed the accommodation, food and service, and that you will be back to visit us again. We look forward to seeing you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near St Ives
Pedn Olva Hotel
Pedn Olva Hotel
#5 of 21 in St Ives
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay

Been to Tregenna Castle Resort? Share your experiences!