“Lovely stay”

Tregenna Castle Resort
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in St Ives
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We only stayed one night but had a great time. What stood out most were two things - firstly the setting is amazing. You'd be hard pushed to find somewhere nicer. Secondly the staff. Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful, particularly on reception. We had a nice lunch, great evening meal and the buffet breakfast was of really good quality. There's loads to do at the hotel itself and it's a great place to stay. There are a few things that could do with updating however, mainly paintwork around some parts of the hotel and in the room. The bedroom windows could do with major repair work or replacing, which I realise is a big job. It wouldn't stop me from staying again and I defintely would.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Thank you very much for your review, observations and compliments. I have passed your comments regarding your meals to our Head Chef, who sends you his thanks, too.
Due to the grade 2 listing of our wonderful old building, we are restricted as to what we can do to the windows. However, please be reassured that we are dealing with them a through systematic course of maintenance. We are pleased that you would come back and visit the Resort again and look forward to welcoming you back.

There are newer reviews for Tregenna Castle Resort

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We have been staying in one of the self catering cottages in The Castle Village area of the Hotel for several months on a short term, winter let basis. We are a family of six (two adults, four children). We have only the BEST things to say about, not only the actual cottage....which is just superb and has everything you could want or need....very clean, very warm, etc. etc. but the hotel itself which is very welcoming and comfortable.....it isn't one of your bare faced, modern soulless places! The hotel is obviously a period building which still has the charm and elegance of its day but with all the mod cons of today. The grounds and golf course are kept beautifully and the woodland walks around the hotel are charming....not to mention the views over St. Ives which are obviously second to none....just breathtaking. ALL the staff in every department are the most friendly we have ever experienced.....as soon as you enter, the guys on the gate greet you with a big smile.....nothing is too much for anybody.....they are friendly, polite, thoughtful and very accommodating. If we didn't live in Cornwall, we would definitely come here for a holiday and if we were to need another winter let, we wouldn't even hesitate in coming back here....we love it. Driving through the gates of Tregenna Castle is like driving into a world of calm and tranquility. You don't even need a car....everything is within walking distance....even bus stops and trains if you wish to spread your wings further afield than St. Ives. We can't praise this place enough....it's very much a feeling that has to be experienced to be appreciated.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

We are very grateful to have our long-let guests and for their contribution towards sustaining us during the quieter times. Thank you very much for your thoughtful, eloquent and flattering review and for rating us with five stars. I am pleased that your time with us was pleasant and enjoyable and that should a situation arise that necessitated another longer let, you would opt to stay with us.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

My husband and I enjoyed our short stay (one night) in Tregena Castle Hotel, had a beautiful sea view from our room, and a lovely dinner in the Braisserie. We would love to come to St. Ives, and Tregenna Castle again.

Room Tip: Sea view is more expensive but worth it on a bright day
1  Thank Astrid891
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

We are very glad that your time with us was that enjoyable that you would love to visit us again, because we would love to have you! Thank you for your review and your kind comments.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We arrived at 2.00pm for this our fourth short break at Tregenna. We were as always greeted by friendly staff and pointed in the direction of our room. The room was very well presented and off course extremely clean. There was a wedding taking place during our stay and some of the guests were rowdy. During the early evening I had cause to attend the reception desk due to the noise coming from the next room where some of the wedding party were changing. We were immediatly given a new room without any fuss. Unfortunatly due to the general rowdiness of the wedding party and the noise from the reception our time in the bar during the evening was less enjoyable that it has been on previouse occasions. Breakfast was as ever fabulous. The gardens were beautiful and the golf course suberb. All in all a lovely hotel with first rate staff and facilities. We cant wait to return although may avoid wedding weekends in future.

Room Tip: Pay to upgrade in possible. Get a sea view as the view is fantastic.
1  Thank John F

Thank you very much for your review, your compliments and your fantastic loyalty. I am extremely sorry that some of our guests caused you disturbance but pleased that we were able to relocate you to a more suitable location. When you are making your next reservation our team will be able to inform you if there is a function scheduled during your stay.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We stayed here recently for a change as we normally visit every year in our caravan and it was a treat for my wife for a special occasion.

Check-in was hassle free and we were provided with some very useful information without being asked (good staff training).

As we walked to our room we began to giggle as every step we took the floor creaked!
I know it’s an old building but we found it very spooky.

We got to our room and the view was special and the room looked very nice except for the bathroom. It was just plonked in to the room, a normal stud wall but it had been cut short so you could see above it, it was not built up to the ceiling.

The bathroom was a big disappointment, chips in the bath enamel, water stains (damp) on the walls, bad paint work but the worst was the toilet, it was a “macerator” type toilet.

Well the noise it made was one thing; it had a life of its own, in the middle of the night you would be woken up by it suddenly coming to life on its own. The other problem was someone else had one above us as we heard that too in the night, in the day and whenever.

Turning back to the room I should have mentioned that on the first day we had driven a long way from Liverpool so we were tired. We decided to grab ten minutes only to be woken by a, women who we both thought was in the room but no she was next door.

You see we had a joining door which for all that it was worth, may as well not have been there because we heard every word (complaining over an issue in the bar area). Well the talking was one thing the other was their toilet, bath and the television, it was like we were in the room with them.

At night we had to contend with them leaving their light on all night which shone through the gaps in the door and lit up our room.

It’s the first hotel we have stayed in where you could not have a normal conversation only a whispered one so next door could not hear you.

They moved out and a family moved in….the same problems continued!

It was not warm when we visited but the hotel was lovely and warm.

Breakfast was a good feast, friendly staff but the rooms were very tired, in desperate need of some refurbishment. Saturday breakfast we were pushed in to a smaller room as an event was on in the main room. It was chaotic (I thought of Faulty Towers) several people had ordered toast that never arrived, other people were told to wait outside while others were sent to the bar lounge for breakfast. I would make changes to the systems that are in place as they don’t work.

Just as an example why have someone walk you to the other end of the room to show you a table for you to walk back from where you have just come from to get your breakfast? It seems a waste of my time and theirs, they could be employed doing other things, like my other ideas I have.

We did have an evening meal at the hotel and I cannot fault the food it was excellent. I hate to go on but they forgot the wine I ordered and they were not that busy.

I did make use of the leisure facilities which were ok. My only comment here is that there is not enough room in the changing rooms (I did hear regulars complaining who could not find room).
Turning to general issues I have to mention the car parking as we struggled to find a space. The rear car park is a bit of a mess and when it’s wet although it is covered in stones its very “mud like” and it gets all over your shoes etc.

The signage in the grounds really does need to be changed. Small green signs stuck on dirty/dark/green (moss) walls make them harder to see if not impossible. I would say 98% of people leaving the rear car park turned left but the exit is to the right (one way), the sign saying that is too small.

Having said that the way out looks like a dead end so that’s why people go to the left. The signs on the brown gates at the end need a bigger sign saying “Way Out” and an arrow. They could also do with painted arrows on the floor indicating the way out. If a pedestrian who knows it’s a one way crosses the road but only looks in one direction (due to their knowledge) and gets hit by a vehicle coming the wrong way I can see a liability case finding its way to the hotel.

Would we stay here again? Well I have to look at other hotels we have stayed in and I have to say give me a Premier Inn any day. OK, so we don’t get the view but that’s an awful lot of money just for that. I can use the leisure facilities for £4, eat and drink in the hotel when I want. I don’t have to put up with macerator toilets or talking neighbours in a Premier but save a lot of money in a nicer hotel.

The answer is of course NO.

Before I go I have mentioned it but repeat that the staff were amazing, they have to put up with a lot and it is a pressure job, each and every one of them kept their smiles even when things went wrong.

Room Tip: 1. Ask what type of toilet is in the room. 2. Ask if it has a door joining any other room. If it...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

It is unfortunate that you found so many aspects of our resort to criticise and I am sorry that your experiences in your caravan were more enjoyable.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Good central place to stay on our last working trip this week, plenty of car parking places for me to get my large van parked at night. The rooms have good views over the gardens and golf course staff on reception and restaurant where very helpful and would help you with anything you needed. However the cleaners in my room where very slack I stayed for 5 nights and my bath and basin was Never cleaned, with the work I was doing I was very dirty by the end of the day so you can imagine what state my bath was in by the end of the week. I don't like complaining so I put up with it and it would not stop me from staying again but I think I would have to say something next time

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and for your compliments.
Despite your reluctance to complain about the cleaning, I am glad that you did, as this needs to be addressed. I have passed your review to our housekeeping manager for his immediate attention and hope that we will see you here again.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Tregenna Castle Hotel was very easy to find situated on the main road through to St Ives, although once your through the gated entrance you feel as though your in the middle of nowhere..the beautiful gardens and golf course made fantastic settings for the gorgeous ivy covered castle entrance. Parking was plentiful and good size spaces for those not wanting door dents!!..the views from the side of the hotel were spectacular over looking St Ives and the surrounding coatline..there is a quaint little outside bar overlooking the outdoor pool which is equally as gorgeous that is fenced for the safety of any young children wishing to explore.. sunbeds are provided around the pool if you chose to sit around it..Once inside the beautiful old building there is a very welcoming reception area with cheerful staff that took time out to explain the full facilities of the hotel..our room was no.144 and I would highly recommend this room.. it was very quite and huge..with stunning sea views to one side and the walled subtropical garden the other..the bathroom was slightly dated and the shower had very little water pressure but hardly supprising with the size of the old building..the towels were fabulous again huge!!..breakfast needless to say was a success too..all the food was hot fresh and presented well..buffet style full English..fresh fruit..croissants..cereal and fruit juice something for everyone..the dining area was big enough to actually be able to have a conversation without the people on the next table feeling the need to comment!!.. fresh linen cloths on the tables and the staff were very attentive...Overall Id say this is one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in and we travel about a bit..I would most certainly go back and stay again.. a first for me..Thank You

Room Tip: choose room 144
1  Thank Neil M
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Thank you very much for your informative, detailed and complimentary review. For me, the most flattering aspect is your final sentence, though. Again, thank you. And for rating us with five stars. We hope that you will come back and see us again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Ives
Chy-An-Albany
Chy-An-Albany
#8 of 20 in St Ives
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay

Been to Tregenna Castle Resort? Share your experiences!