“Beautiful setting, but rooms in need of modernisation”

Tregenna Castle Resort
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed at Tregenna Castle whilst on a family weekend break in St Ives in May. The grounds and the views are truly fantastic and we were lucky the weather was beautiful that weekend, so we were able to fully enjoy that aspect. However, the rooms were pretty disappointing - very much in need of modernisation, particularly the bathrooms. Breakfast was good - buffet style, decent quality. Service was also very good in all parts of the hotel, whether at reception, in the restaurant or at breakfast. We ate dinner in the restaurant on both nights of our stay, as we were staying half board - the food was excellent on the first night, but the same standard was, unfortunately, not maintained and on the second night, our meal was just average. This hotel could be phenomenal - the ground and views really are stunning, but the interior needs just needs a bit of TLC to be able to in any way compete with the surroundings in which the building sits.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ZC1985
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

I appreciate you taking the time to write your review.

We are very fortunate with grounds on which our resort is situated and our team of gardeners work extremely hard maintaining them.

As has been mentioned many times recently we are making progress in our room upgrade project on those rooms that require it, not every room needs upgrading.

I hope you will visit us again on your next trip to St Ives.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,744)

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We were really disappointed with our stay. We had stayed 27 years ago when our older was a toddler so this was intended as a nostalgic trip. We booked 3 sea view rooms, only 1 of which was ok. The 2 others had apparently not been updated in 27 years at least - the enamel in the baths had huge chips and were horrible. One of the rooms was very small and unacceptable, especially given the cost.
On the positive side the grounds are well kept and the views stunning. The staff in the restaurant were also very good. Also there is a really lovely Tea Shop in the village which serves very good gluten free items.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for you review.

I am sorry your recent stay did not meet your expectations, but I can assure you that it has definitely not been 27 years since we last upgraded our rooms.

If you had mentioned during your stay that you were not happy with your room(s) we would have happily looked to move you and your family to accommodation within our 72 acre site.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We visited Tregenna this weekend just gone as we were attending a friend's Wedding. We decided to stay the night as we have a 3 week old baby and thought it would be nicer than having to make the 45 minute drive home in the dark. We are both glad that we did so as it was so much easier having a room to go back to with the baby when he needed feeding, changing etc.

Overall we both enjoyed our stay. We were greeted by friendly staff who were very helpful and polite, the grounds are beautiful and the food both at the wedding reception and for breakfast next morning was very nice.

The only complaint that I have is about our room. My wife booked the room a few months ago and told me that the price was £165 (approx), which I wasn't too happy about at the time as I felt that it was more than we could afford. However, I calmed down and thought 'oh well, it will be a nice break and for that kind of money the room is sure to be pretty special'. Upon entering the room however I couldn't have been more wrong....Its was much smaller than I had anticipated and in my opinion was not worth anything like the money we had paid for it. Although it was reasonably clean, it was still a little grubby and felt pretty tired and in need of a refurb. The carpet was well worn and there were holes and stains on the bedding. The bathroom was dated with areas of rust in the bath, stains in the toilet and a cheap roller blind that didn't work very well.

I don't like to complain and very rarely do as I am generally pretty laid back about these kind of things but just feel that we did not get value for money on this occasion. I know that it is June and we were in St.Ives but £165 for what was no better than a Travelodge room seems unacceptable. I would suggest lowering your prices or making some improvements.

Room Tip: I'm sure that there are nicer rooms than the one we stayed in but goodness knows how much they c...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kernow_D

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

We always ask guests if everything is satisfactory during their stay to ensure any issues are dealt with and to ensure guests leave having had their expectations met. I am sorry you didn’t feel comfortable mentioning anything and instead have used other ways to raise your concerns.

I hope you decide to stay with us on your next visit to St Ives and see the improvements we are making.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

The upsides of Treganna are the location, setting and grounds, all of which are beautiful as well as the staff, all of whom encountered were pleasant, efficient, well turned-out and charming. The rooms and public areas I used beyond the stretch of the lobby area are tired, dated and in need of major refurbishment.

I am struggling to recall a worse outlook in any room I have ever stayed in ... arguably unimportant but it certainly made me feel decidedly 2nd class given the location. Assuming that room 61 (5-night stay) is not untypical, it was kept reasonably clean but the furniture, fittings, bathroom and bed fall significantly short in quality, finish, comfort and overall standard one could reasonably expect for the room rate. The lack of air-con is perhaps understandable but opening the window to cool the unbearably warm room one is drawn to the plentiful warnings against leaving it open when the room is unoccupied because seagulls and magpies have been known to enter via the window. Rather than such a warning, why not spend a little bit on runs of composite spiking on the sills in all rooms prone to such intrusion ?? Birds do NOT fly straight into a room behind a lace curtain, they land on the sill first and such spike units dissuade landing rather than harm the birds.

I was just left with the impressions that Treganna is a wonderful, beautiful but under-valued asset requiring investment in the over-priced, shoddy accommodation and outer fabric of the building (extensive weed growth was clear on the sky-line profile of the building) ... desperately sad given the heritage it symbolises and the beauty of the location.

Room Tip: If Tregenna have any recently refurbished rooms, ask for one.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank bigbeekay

Thank you for your recent review.

We are limited as to what we can do with regards to windows and placing ‘spikes’ on sills due to the fact our hotel is a grade II listed building. So we have taken the only step available to us and advised our guests of potential issues should they decide to leave windows open.

All our rooms are undergoing refurbishment and although ‘Ivy’ may be regarded as a weed most of our guests remark on how this adds to the beauty of our hotel. One person’s weed is another person’s flower.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We headed down to Tregenna for a couple of days away. On arrival we were greeted war lay by the staff and checked in with ease.

Our room was lovely though we were expecting a king size bed and not the double we ended up with. The sea views were lovely and hardly any noise to disturb us.

The grounds of the castle are a pleasure to walk around in the evening after a meal at the brasserie.

We ate at the castle both nights and the good was reasonable good both nights. The second night we booked a particular table and were incredibly disappointed when that table was given to some one else.

The breakfast is what you would expect in most chain hotels. Choice of cooked English or cereal (or both). It was average but edible. The first morning there were some issues with dirty crockery. Whilst changing my lipstick stained mug for a clean one my breakfast was whisked away by enthusiastic cleaning staff forcing me to have to queue and order my meal again.

The outside pool was very pleasant whilst it was quiet however as soon as it becomes a little busy the place is noisy and uncomfortable.

Overall I did enjoy my stay, but I will not be rushing back.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank South Coast Rev... X

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay.

Although you may not be rushing back soon, we hope that you will visit us again on another trip to St Ives.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Stayed here for two nights and wished I'd booked longer. Staff on arrival (and before over the phone) cannot do enough to please. Polite, helpful and clearly well trained although I feel there is a natural part of being Cornish that certainly lends itself to 'friendliness'.

Location is worth 11 out of ten points alone with breathtaking views over St Ives and Carbis Bay.

The Hotel is being systematically renovated but tastefully and in keeping with the age and standing of this marvellous building.

Cream teas are worth staying here for alone! Huge scones, oodles of Cream and Jam - smashing!

At the risk of being lambasted by the person that answers the comments I must say a couple of things I would like to see improved. I don't eat meat and this left the choice in the Brasserie a wee bit limited. As per the norm when this happens I reluctantly order fish and asked for Fish and Chips. Fish was good but chips were the ubiquitous 'fries',overcooked, spindly and definitely not 'chips'! This was served on a wooden board with a pot of fresh peas. Clearly these had to be in a pot as they would have rolled off the board! I didn't know how to eat them without resorting to the 'shovel' method and left them alone. Mushy would have been a much better option (or call them 'pureed' if you like)!

I've read on here that Breakfast wasn't good or that one is limited by eagle eyed staff. This is definitely not the case. Plenty of choice, well cooked food and once again, very friendly and helpful staff.

Will we return? Yes, we certainly will. ASAP.

Room Tip: 136. Stunning view and look out for the Albino white rabbit on the golf tee every evening and mornin...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lmafudd

Thank you for your review and four star rating.

Without reprove I will pass on your comments regarding the fish and chips to our head chef.

We look forward to welcoming you back as soon as possible for your next stay which may be longer than 2 nights???

Reviewed 27 June 2014

We've recently returned from a weekend at the Tregenna. We had booked a family room, which was actually more like a suite with a double room and an adjoining children's bedroom with bunk beds and a single bed. The room was very spacious, clean and modern. We were at the back of the hotel, so no sea view, but we were very happy with the room.
The indoor pool is very warm and a pleasure to swim in, but the jewel in the crown was the outdoor pool - it was a gloriously sunny weekend and the outdoor pool was a real bonus! For families, there is also an outdoor play area including a trampoline which the children loved.
The breakfasts were good, my only complaint is that the fruit all appeared to be tinned rather than fresh.
The hotel is in a great location, easy to walk into town and down to the beach through the lovely grounds, and with fabulous views out to sea. Staff are friendly and attentive.
We will be back!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Anna B
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

I am very pleased to read that you and your family enjoyed your recent weekend break at our resort especially the jewel in our crown.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recently refurbished family room.

All our friendly and attentive staff look forward to seeing you all again at our resort soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Ives
Pedn Olva Hotel
Pedn Olva Hotel
#4 of 21 in St Ives
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay

Been to Tregenna Castle Resort? Share your experiences!