“Stunning setting, average accomodation”

Tregenna Castle Resort
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in St Ives
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Tregenna Castle really is a beautiful venue, with immaculate grounds and a stunning view. They clearly pay a lot of attention, and money, on keeping the grounds maintained.

We stayed in self-catering accommodation for 3 nights. The villa is best described as in need of a refurb. The kitchen facilities were fine and we cooked on 2 of the nights. The bedrooms were comfy but need decorating and were thick with dust when we moved in. The bathroom was poor and really needed a total refit. The ventilation made an awful noise which if turned off, disabled the light switch.

There was no phone in the villa so any calls to reception had to be done by mobile phone.

The villas are also advertised as with WiFi throughout. We could only get any WiFi signal if we leaned out of the lounge window. Not really ideal. We were told by the duty manager that there was a known issue but it was not resolved during our stay.

The staff were very good and we found the reception staff friendly and helpful and the restaurant manager, Chris, was fantastic on the night we ate in the restaurant.

If the accommodation was given a much needed face lift then this really would be a luxury stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

We are very grateful for your kind words regarding our staff and the grounds our resort is located on.

I am sorry your accommodation did not meet your expectations.

Our resort is still currently being refurbished and decorated including self-catering apartments.

I hope on your next visit to our resort our improvements will help meet your expectations of a ‘luxury stay’ at our resort.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I've only managed 4 hours sleep in my room, due to an uncomfortable bed and cacophony of seagulls outside from before 5am. The room is a dark interior facing room, overlooking ventilation ducts, unfortunately the hotel was full due to a wedding, so I couldn't upgrade even though I offered to pay for it. That would all be unimportant if I'd got a good nights sleep, which is after all the main purpose of a hotel. Sadly the bed is well worn, I can feel all the springs and wires, and the duvet and bedding are cheap and nasty, and just feel old. What a difference a pillowtop mattress and feather pillows and duvets would make. The room is clean, but very dated, and for £100 a night, you expect some money to have been spent on the bed and bedding.

I also had a disappointing experience with the restaurant, as after arriving after work, I went for a walk to the beach first because I needed to stretch my legs after a 6 hour drive and business meeting. On my return at 9:20, I found that the restaurant closes at 9pm, and that there is no room service. After deliberation by the staff I managed to negotiate a bowl of soup, but it wasn't a hearty portion and I was still hungry, which was made worse by the fact that diners already there still being served their main courses and being offered pudding menus. Given this, they probably could have been a bit more flexible. I was looking very pissed off whilst I waited to pay the bill, and the restaurant manager came over and then waived the bill for me, which was nice, but didn't really help me as it's a business expense anyway, and It didn't change the fact that I was still hungry. 9pm does seem extraordinarily early for a restaurant to close, especially in a fairly large hotel.

The view and the noisy seagulls cannot be helped, but the bed, bedding and restaurant opening times and lack of room service could be. The grounds here are stunning, the walk to the beach is lovely, the steep hill really works up an appetite, which is great if food is available. Another reviewer said this place could be a 5* hotel, and it really could. It's a castle on a hill overlooking the bay, it looks like a Cornish Balmoral, with grounds to match. Please, please, spend some money on new, luxury beds and bedding, update the restaurant to be a destination restaurant, open til 10:30, and do a proper room service. Lastly, complimentary bottled water in the rooms, plus a minibar is expected by business travellers these days, and greatly appreciated by leisure travellers.

Room Tip: Don't pick a single room, they are the inward facing ones. Unfortunately I think they charge abo...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Carogooch
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

We do appreciate your kind understanding words and your service suggestions we should consider.

Every guest on arrival is given a room card and told of restaurant opening hours, I am perturbed you fail to mention you were not only offered soup but also sandwiches and a desert menu by our restaurant manager.

We are investing in room upgrades including décor and furnishings.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Stayed here at e beginning of the school holidays...weather was beautiful so we spent a lot of time at poolside...location is fantastic...facilities..pool and tennis courts ideal for children. We enjoyed it so much we stayed an extra night. Our first room was spacious with a wonderful walk in shower...no view though. Our second room which we had to move to wasn't great and I don't think we could have stayed in that room for more than two nights...too small and stuffy..we'd been spoilt with the first room! Staff were lovely and friendly. Had food in the restaurant twice...food substantial...although service was sooo slow the second night my son was last eating...shame because staff seemed to be busy but food just wasn't delivered soon enough...breakfast was good and a lot of selection...fruit ie melon needs to be topped up though for later arrivals!! Overall a good stay and we shall return! Fantastic grounds and views!

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room...they are updating their rooms and you have to pay extra for a view!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Betsy J

We really appreciate you taking the time to write your family review and for your rating.

I am pleased you all enjoyed the facilities we have on offer so much that you stayed an extra night.

I apologise for the dining issue’s experienced during your stay and promise to have these improved for your next stay at our resort.

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

We booked a table for 14 at Tregenna Castle Hotel, and spent £300 on food and drinks and what a disappointment we all had.
It was for a very special occasion so upon booking we told the receptionist over the from and asked if they could make the table look nice as for us this was a celebration evening, we were told "I'll see what we can do"' and that was that. When we arrived we were shown to our table and offered bread and water before we ordered our starters and main meals. As we got our starters everyone on out table of 14 including adults and children were really disappointed. I order the Tomato and Mozzarella salad with pesto, which was a single tomato cut up, about three leaves of rocket and some diluted pesto, all of that was £6.50! Other members if my family had different courses of which one was supposed to have a side dip of chick pea, but it was green and tasted more like guacamole. Also we ordered a tomato soup which tasted exactly like Heinz tomato soup... Which we could've had for a lot cheaper! We then carried on to our mains as we didn't want to ruin the special evening and hoped that our mains would changed our thoughts about the starters. However it did not! Again I ordered the Pan Fried Duck, leg confit, with stir fry vegetables. This to me sounded delicious and is not something I would eat often, so as it was a special night I thought I would have something special to eat. The small portion of stir fry was tasteful but the confit duck that was supposed to be melting in my mouth and a pleasant special dish was actually three duck breasts, over cooked, chewy, and tasteless! And that was a £12 dish! Also my partner had the vegetarian option of gnocchi and roasted vegetables in a tomato sauce, which he also said was tasteless and bland. A few on our table ordered meals which came with chips, stacked like a Jenga game, which straight away we all thought was rather unhygienic for someone in the kitchen to be stacking our chips! But the chips may as well have been wooden Jenga pieces as they were just a thick, solid and tasty as a wooden block. After our mains we didn't think twice about not ordering a dessert and I had made a surprise celebration cake! Which when I arrived I asked if it could be hidden and bought out to us after our main course. This message never arrived so we had to asked again. As there were children with us, and they were bored of sitting in a large room, they went outside. So as I left to collect the 6 missing people including myself, they brought the cake out?! We were all very disappointed and upset to have missed the moment when the surprise cake arrived. When we questioned this to the waitress who bought it out, commented that surely it would've been common sense to wait for the hole family to be say at the table she replied with " you asked me to bring out the cake, so I did"
The manager also gave a very similar reply. They also didnt even know who's the cake was, so they didn't have any consideration for us and our celebrations.
So not only was the celebration evening already a slight disappointment to be so un-thoughtful and inconsiderate to paying customers was just insulting. It was obvious by the number of people that it was a celebration meal, yet still there was no manners or thoughts towards our evening.
And just to add, the toilets were disgusting! For a highly rated hotel and restaurant I was shocked to find that the women's toilets in such a state, and after we left I was told that the men's weren't any nicer either. So we have a throughly disappointing night.
It's a shame for Tregenna, because we're a local family, and bad reviews spread quickly for locals.

• Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank BellaPrincess14
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed in the Beech cabin in the grounds of Tregenna Castle. Close in terms of distance to Porthminster beach but involving quite a steep incline (fine on the way there, hell on the way back). The cabin / cottage itself was clean and perfectly pleasant, but the cold tap in the bathroom could only be turned off by the man in the group, the women and children didn't have the strength necessary to turn it off. The bedrooms were nice, if a little dated in their decor. We were annoyed by the lack of a wi-fi signal as we were between 3 hotspots and unable to connect reliably to any of them - annoying in this day and age when most consider access to wi-fi as a necessity rather than a luxury.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your recent stay in one of our cottages.

I am sorry you had a ‘sexist’ tap that could only be operated by man. Wi-Fi has only just been extended to reach most of our self-catering properties. We will pass on your remarks regarding beech and hope to improve connectivity.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort on your next Wi-Fi surfing holiday to St Ives.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

I attended one of the best weddings ever for location at Tregenna Castle last month. Unfortunately all was not quite so perfect with the accommodation for the majority of our wedding party. I won’t comment on the others complaints about their rooms, all of which were pointedly ignored by the front desk staff – but I will tell you about mine:

A family room had been booked for 2 adults, 2 children for 2 nights. On arrival we found just a double bed, and a sofa bed, which was unsuitable for a one year old baby. So, had to move rooms. No apologies from staff, more a disgruntled sigh and slight grumbling for their inconvenience (the staff, not us).

Second room, at 10.00 pm that night was 35 degrees centigrade. Yes, absolutely boiling hot. Staff said they had provided a fan and that was all they could do. Baby and six year old unable to sleep in the heat. A second room move took place at 10.45 pm to the self catering accommodation at the rear of the hotel. Please note the room move took place with extremely tired Mother and child and baby. This was inconvenient to say the least, and resulted in 2 very tired children the following day – wedding day. Yes I know it was hotter weather than usual, but an all night sauna was not requested or required. The self catering block is on par with a 1960s self catering accommodation, or maybe RedRoofs North American accommodation – more 2 star budget basic holiday camp style than anything. It was definitely basic – no frills here. We stayed in this room for 2 nights. The lumpy sofa bed really was not a delight to sleep on. It was a case of sleep in a funny position to avoid the springs through the skinny mattress. The toilet seat fell off as I sat on it. Could have been nasty, but due to my lightening reflexes all was fine you will be pleased to know. When I mentioned it to the extremely rude, condescending and inefficient duty manager at the front desk he asked why I had not immediately reported it. Well, there was no phone in the toilet available to dial to reception – unfortunate I know. Tip – place hotline to reception in the bathroom.

We paid £200 per night for this sub-standard accommodation. The unpolite and unprofessional duty manager repeatedly informed me at reception that everything possible had been done to ensure a comfortable stay. I didn’t agree and told him so. I don’t think it is possible to have a comfortable stay at this ‘luxury hotel’. The rooms are shabby (worn beds and bedding, furniture, paintwork, carpeting), with inadequate bathroom facilities (crappy showers, toilets, venting), a disabled access ramp which needs to be seen to be believed on the 2nd floor, which looks like a ski ramp leading to a glass door, seagulls attacking garbage bags which had been dumped in the garbage area – disgusting. Just a general air of unkempt, poorly funded facilities, with a duty manager with a very bad attitude. The duty manager told me in his haughty manner that I should have paid MORE to stay in the self catering unit. That was quite funny. Maybe he did have a sense of humour after all…..

I asked the front desk if they were willing to let unhappy paying guests to leave Tregenna with their long lists of complaints and being so disgruntled. The duty manager said he definitely was fine with that, with his hands on hips and a very curt nod, and with me sending my comments to Trip Advisor. He offered me an email address of someone to complain to, but I didn’t receive that. He was quite the most obnoxious member of staff I have ever come across, and is in dire need of immediate customer service re-training.

Please be advised that the wedding staff were wonderful, Morwenna and her team were fantastic. The food and wine service was good and the MC was excellent. It’s a crying shame the accommodation side of things let the hotel down so very badly. If money was invested in this place, it really would have the ability to be a 5 star location. As it hasn’t been, I would rate it at not even a 2 star. Shabby and outdated are the only things to glare to visitors in this facility.

I did email the hotel before I sent these comments to Trip Advisor to give them a fair chance to comment themselves, but they have declined to reply to me. Just as expected….. sigh.... never again!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Dot M

Thank you for your kind words regarding the recent wedding you attended at our resort and for your kind comments regarding our dedicated events team.

I am sorry to read that you were unhappy with the accommodation afforded to you and your family and for the inconvenience of moving you to different rooms.

By fact you were moved meant front desk staff had not ignored your complaints. We do actively encourage ‘accurate’ reviews on tripadvisor and as demonstrated by this review we will not be held over foreboding remarks to augment a different review. Every issue you had was dealt with in a timely and professional manner; we were trying to give you a comfortable stay, unfortunately we were not able to meet your expectations on this occasion.

We are proud of the high level of service demonstrated to our guests by all our staff and duty manager’s and of the investment in room upgrades currently being undertaken.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

We booked this at the very last minute as the only place we could find in St Ives at the height of the season - lesson learnt! This is a big hotel in a spectacular location on a hill overlooking St Ives. The grounds are impressive with extensive beautiful gardens and an outdoor pool. The walk down to the beaches and town is about 10-20 minutes (very steep on the way back). The staff were friendly. The real let down was the interior - extremely tired and in sore need of a refurbishment. The room we stayed in was stuffy and badly ventilated. There was a fair amount of noise from the corridor and adjacent rooms. There was free wifi in the rooms but a bit patchy. The breakfast was ok-ish. Felt a bit over-priced. This place has huge potential, but needs some investment.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank iainsouthern
12-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Tregenna Castle Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

We appreciate you taking your time to write your review regarding your recent stay at our resort.

Our resort continues to undergo a refurbishment and decoration project as per guest feedback and in response to reviews on this website.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our helpful staff and for your favourable remarks regarding our location and facilities.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Ives
#1 of 4 in Truro
Pedn Olva Hotel
Pedn Olva Hotel
#5 of 20 in St Ives

Been to Tregenna Castle Resort? Share your experiences!