“Don't believe the hype - this place is great!”

Tregenna Castle Resort
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in St Ives
Reviewed 24 November 2009

I, like others, read the reviews before going to Tregenna and was slightly anxious at what I might find. However, the place lived up to what I had hoped. Emma, the receptionist, was lovely and helpful even when I mentioned the 'hype' when booking the room. We stayed in a double room with sofa and it was excellent. No problems with water. It was spacious and comfortable. The decor was fine. We ate in the smaller restaurant near the reception (it was a Sunday evening) and the food was really good. I can only speak as I find but I came away relaxed with a smile on my face. If you want to visit St Ives, which I'd recommend, you'd do an awful lot worse than stay here. I'd recommend it especially with the great offers they're doing at this time of year!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 November 2009

Just don't stay on a Sunday, or to go by the cavernous ballroom sized dining room and going by the food offering on a Sunday don't stay at all.

To offer as your only "fine dining" experience a carvery and a very poor one at that with sloppy veg, awful roast potatoes etc is a disgrace. There were only 12 diners in a room that could easily have sat 200. It should have told us something.

The hotel manager tried to blame the chef, and also said "we have being doing Sunday night carveries for 14 years". A damning assertation in itself.

The food was clearly made from cheap and nasty ingredients and the "restuarant" was clearly dying on it's bum.

Don't go!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hantspaul
Reviewed 18 November 2009

Very overpriced & dated Hotel, tired & in desperate need of a refurb, avoid at all costs !
Rooms are mouldy, bathrooms are damp, beds are dirty, TV from 1960's, staff very rude, swimming pool very old & dirty
Not suitable for families, couples, especially not WEDDING GUESTS !!

Stay in St Ives town (much better since this hotel is a long steep walk from the town)

• Stayed: November 2009
2  Thank lkvbmi
Reviewed 17 November 2009

We originally booked our stay earlier in 2009 and having then read some of the negative reviews we had some reservations with our impending stay , however on arrival we found the Hotel to be everything we hoped for , The Hotel facilities are excellent and we found no areas we could say where not acceptable , The rooms allocated where self catering suites and these are extremely well equipped and very spacious with 2 bathrooms fitted with showers on each level with the bedroom being on the upper level.
We used the Spa and played Golf on the 18 hole par 3 and found both to be excellent.
We will definately be returning at some time in the future but next time earlier in the year due to the inclement weather in November 2009 during our stay .

Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank AlanBx
Reviewed 29 October 2009

I attended a friends wedding at this lovely looking hotel, my 1st impression as i walked into this fantastic old castle was that this is the perfect place for my friends special day! How wrong could i be?? From the outside it was perfect, but as soon as you walk in the door the illusion disapears. I don't spend much time attending too many weddings but i'm certain it's supposed to be better than this sham that we had to endure! The wedding menu looked great on paper when i sat down and read it, but as each course arrived the other guests i was sat with couldn't belive the poor standard of the food. I had the worst salad i'd ever eaten to start(you get nicer ones in plastic tubs from tesco's). The peppercorn sauce that my chicken was swimming in was watery and ruined the entire dish, the only thing that was acceptable on the menu was the profiteroles! Service was just ok at best. I'm glad I never booked in here to stay here overnight if this is the standard that they see as acceptable for the most special day of two peoples lives. It's safe to say I will not be returning!!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank Banjo12
Reviewed 19 October 2009

I can hardly believe the bad reviews this hotel has got. We had an absolutely great time here. The staff were so friendly and helpful, actually they couldn't have been better. The leisure facilities were great, really clean. The rooms were spotless, we had a room with a view which was spectacular, the rates were really reasonable in October and made the stay more enjoyable. The grounds of the hotel were fantastic, it was so close to the centre and the beach just across the road, it couldn't have been better, we will deffinately be back.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2009

Have just spent a week in self catering cottage for 6. Immaculate and gorgeous, did not want to leave!! Wish I could stay forever....Lovely helpful and friendly staff. Attentive self catering staff who took care of any requirements. Cant believe anyone could be so horrid as to say such negative and nasty comments....we have travelled widely and this place is superior in every way to other hotels and locations in the uk. Very highly recommended and excellent value.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
#1 of 4 in Truro
Pedn Olva Hotel
Pedn Olva Hotel
#5 of 20 in St Ives

Been to Tregenna Castle Resort? Share your experiences!