“Overpriced, poor value for money”

St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We stayed here for the weekend with my elderly disabled father. We had received an email 2 weeks before explaining that the car park was closed but that there would be transport to the nearest car park. We didn't realise that this would be 2 miles away! This meant that we did not have easy access to the car during our stay, and had to request transport to the car every time we needed it. We therefore spent a lot on taxis to and from the town when we could have used the car to transport him up and down the hill. The porters were very obliging but not the same as having access to one's own car.
The other issue was the rooms. We booked a double and a twin. The twin was tucked below road level at the front of the hotel. It got no direct sun and was cold. My father had to try to work the electric heater. The room had been refurbished but the new bathroom was down some small stairs and was very poky and difficult to manoevre oneself into the shower and the tiny bath. The fittings were also trendy but difficult to work, especially for the elderly guest.
The double room we got shown to overlooked the building site at the side of the hotel - and we were told by the builders that they were starting work at 0800 on Saturday morning!!! This room was tiny, not refurbished, and a complete rip-off at £135/night. Nowhere on the website does it mention building work being carried out and we weren't offered any alternative room spontaneously.
We complained and were shown to a sea-view room for the first night, and then had a room overlooking the busy road junction for the second night.
During Saturday night dinner, the disco downstairs reverberated up through the floor of the restaurant and was very noisy - so they gave us drinks on the house.
The restaurant staff and reception staff were very helpful, polite and accommodating, and dealt with all our concerns with efficiency and kindness.
However we had to negotiate money off the bill for all the inconvenience.
The rooms were generally substandard and one could get better in a B+B in the town instead. They were certainly not worth the advertised price. We won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: Only book a sea-view room
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank tootsie81
richard_perris, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel on this site, we appreciate all feedback and are taking all of your comments on-board. I’m so sorry to hear about your recent visit, it is our intention to give all guests the best experience possible and I’m sorry to hear that this was not the case. We will be reviewing all of the points you have raised. We have several rooms which we would recommend for disabled guests, I am sorry that this wasn’t addressed when you booked. Please do not hesitate call me to discuss another visit to the Hotel, with the Spa opening in August and the on-going work throughout the hotel, I would love for you to return and see the improvements first-hand. I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 5 June 2011

I think plkmtk summed this place up perfectly. We booked this for a long weekend treat based upon the website, I honestly thought I had got the wrong hotel when we arrived as it looked so different. Walking down the corridor to our room my heart sank because there was such a strong smell of food and the corridor was old and dowdy. I was really disappointed with our room, the carpet was old and dirty, the walls had water marks on them, the tiny TV had wires hanging down the wall; absolutely not the hotel which is portrayed on the website. The website might be true for parts of the hotel but other parts are very old and I know St Ives is expensive but to pay £190 a night for that room was simply a rip off.
Most of the staff, although nice, were not on the whole professional in the way you would expect of the hotel as advertised. One exception was an Aussie guy in the restaurant who was very professional and corrected others mistakes as well as sorting out his own tables. Just small things such as not checking if a room was ready when we arrived early, I wouldn’t expect it to be ready but I would expect staff to automatically check whether it was, getting the wrong drinks and the wedding noise as described below. Part of this is common sense but a lot of it is better training.
The staff told us there would be building works going on which did not impact on our stay at all however they did not say there was going to be a large wedding where there would be a disco past one in the morning which would be directly below our room. I wouldn't want to spoil anyones fun on their wedding day but why put people unconnected to the wedding right next to it which spoils other guests sleep and restrains what the wedding party can do. I would expect somewhere which portrays itself as this calibre to understand they should inform their guests when booking and place them away from the noise.
Essentially this place should not be advertising itself as something it wants to be if it isn’t that yet, and it is far too expensive for what it is, even in expensive St Ives.

Room Tip: Don't get an old one!
4  Thank TravellingLB
PorthminsterManager, Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2011

Dear TravellingLB

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

At the outset may I apologies as you should have been advised about the Wedding and I am sorry you did not receive a fully refurbished room.

I will be contacting you directly to attempt to resolve any disatisfaction you feel from your recent stay with us and hope that you will allow me to redress the balance in order to limit your disappointment.

Kind regards

Ben Young

Reviewed 27 May 2011

A great harbour view! One can at least say that...

This is clearly a very comfortable hotel in a good location. The restaurant is more or less getting there but the service was less than professional. The prices were fair , the food well-cooked and presented and the wine list not over the top. The hotel is very, very quiet on the side by the sea. We slept very well, except from the odd minutes of noise from the fan in adjacent bathroom, not welcome in the wee small hours.

However, the bedroom was little old-fashioned and could be updated, the bathroom did not have a normal shower [it had some bizarre spa device], the towel rail was unheated, the TV on the blink and so on.

It was also difficult to drop off the bags from the car on the roadside but the staff will guide you and your vehicle down to the carpark near the shore.

Pleasant staff, always ready to help.

Possibly the best of a limited choice in St Ives!

1  Thank PeterStreetwise2

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel on this site, we appreciate all feedback and are constantly evaluating, learning and improving as a result. I sincerely apologise for any poor service that you received in the restaurant, this is not our usual level of service - we work very closely with our staff to ensure high standards and I can assure you that we will be assessing all of the points raised in your review. However, it is pleasing to hear that you enjoyed the food and our fabulous views. We would encourage you to return to the hotel in the future and see for yourselves the constant improvements in not only customer service but our facilities as well. I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 19 May 2011

We wanted to spend a weekend in St Ives, so booked a couple of nights at the former Porthminster Hotel. The location is great! It's just a short walk into central St Ives and the beach is very close (down a steep hill).

Upon check-in we were pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to a sea view room, which was absolutely fantastic. The room was large and the view was stunning. There was also a four-poster bed!

We arrived quite late, so decided to take advantage of the 3 course dinner for £15 offer. It was great value! The food was lovely and the restaurant was very pleasant. Breakfast was also very good. My wife really enjoyed the smoked salmon and there were lots of other options. The staff were very helpful, polite and friendly, especially Victoria. Our 2 year old son liked her!

Although there was construction work going on, it didn't affect us. The site was shut (since it was the weekend) so there were no problems with noise. We didn't need our car when we were there, but the porters were only too happy to shuttle us up to the car park a mile or so away.

Overall, we had an amazing couple of days. Thanks to all the staff!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view. You won't be disappointed!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Jamesey010
richard_perris, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review the St Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa. Feedback is essential for us to keep improving and I’m so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. Our Harbour Restaurant is going from strength to strength. I have passed your kind comments along to the Restaurant Team, and I’m sure that they would agree that such positivity is a real morale booster!
We hope to welcome you and your family back in the future.

Reviewed 19 May 2011

The St. Ives Harbor Hotel (a.k.a. The Porthminster) has apparently been recently refurbished but it doesn't show. Apart from an excellent view of the harbour, the hotel itself is a throwback to the old British sea-side resort hotels (and I don't mean this in a positive sense). Cleanliness seems to be somewhat lacking and the service is not particularly professional.The parking garage is currently being re-built which means a van ride to a car park. Free Wi-Fi but it only seems to work on the house computer.On a relative value basis this hotel is sorely lacking.

3  Thank plkmtk
PorthminsterManager, Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2011

Dear plkmtk

Thank you for your review.

I am stunned by your negative comments regarding our service and cleanliness? I would really like to know what specific areas were left wanting as this is far from our typical guest experience as supported by other reviews on this site.

Please do get in touch in order that I may discuss the matter further and redress the balance. If we have fallen short on expectations then it is my job to investigate and 'fix' whatever it is that needs fixing.

Kind regards

Ben Young

Reviewed 16 May 2011

Room was clean and tidy and a very comfortable bed. Staff were really helpful and we were even allowed an early breakfast as were catching the helicopter to the scilly isles.
The hotel has bags of character and charm.
The car park is being replaced so parking is away from the hotel but dont let this put you off as porters will transfer you.
Thanks for a nice stay hope to stay again.

Room Tip: book through the hotel and get a glass of fizz
1  Thank Darad

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review; we are always grateful of guest feedback. I’m pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that the parking arrangements did not impact on your time with us. Also, I’m glad we were able to help with an early breakfast for your trip to Scilly; it’s a long journey on an empty stomach!
I do hope that we can welcome you back to St Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa in the near future.

Reviewed 16 May 2011

The Porthminster St Ives benefits from being situated on the Best beach in Britain (published 24hours after we got married). The staff are all very courteous, polite, efficient and helpful - nothing was too much. On the Friday night we dropped on them that we all wanted dinner so they mustered up Fish and Chip for 50 odd people at the drop of a hat. It was brilliant and they made up some tables in the ceremony room. The wedding food was also superb.

Our friends and family travelled from all over the country to be with us and were stunned by the beauty of the whole place.

Rebecca and Mark were absolutely Excellent - truly 1st class.

There was building works going on but the disruption did not once impact on our day or the guests enjoyment.

Definitely a location we would recommend.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FashVaziri

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. It gives me great pleasure to hear just how much you enjoyed your special day. We are so lucky that our location makes such a beautiful backdrop for such a momentous occasion! We always like a challenge and I’m very proud that we came through for you and your family & friends. Your kind comments have been passed on to everyone involved in planning and running your wedding. We do hope that you come back and visit us again soon as Mr & Mrs!

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Ives
The Gannet Inn
The Gannet Inn
#2 of 4 in Carbis Bay
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay

Been to St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!