“Great view + service ,shame about everything else”

St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Limerick, Ireland
“Great view + service ,shame about everything else”
Reviewed 28 July 2011

The view was magnificent from the restaurant. The breakfast and evening meals were also excellent. The hotel staff were excellent & very friendly. The car park was free ( awful to have to even say this nowadays ! ).Complimentary drink on arrival was nice.

There was major building going on during our stay & outside our bedroom window. It seemed to start at 8am but then stopped & started intermittently. My main issue was that it put me off coming back to the hotel during the day. We asked for a change of room but there was nothing available. The hotel was on the top of a hill which while providing an excellent view had the downside of providing a tough walk from the town. Not for the unfit...or maybe so...to get fit. The car park was behind the hotel but down a very steep slope with room for only one car to drive up or down at a time. I did not meet another car but dreaded the thought of doing so. When we were checking out there was a number of buckets in the lobby catching water coming through the ceiling ! It had rained heavily overnight but still .... not what you would expect for the price......which was quite expensive for what we got. Overall a mixed stay.

Room Tip: Try and make sure you are not backed onto the building work
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank liam_kelleher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
Neath
Reviewed 26 July 2011

Bit fawlty towerish at first, certainly didn't match its website decsriptions and photos. Lift looks positively dangerous, although has an art deco appeal. Rooms a little frumpy, although offered newly refurbished the room felt like it was in a cellar and workmen were spreading the smell of cooked food everywhere.
But things picked up- the communal rooms were really nice, and the staff very friendly and attentive although lacking a team approach and bar not fully stocked etc. The deal was good though and a really good base, but would look for somewhere either trendier or more authentic

Room Tip: fo for higher floor
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ali S
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2011

We stayed at the hotel this weekend for a "mini break". St Ives is a favourite location of mine and the area does not disappoint. There are some stunning views, lots to do and it is well worth a visit. I booked my room via a third party website, mostly because it was a lot cheaper than booking via the hotels own website, but I still think the prices are over priced for what you actually get. The third party website advised that the hotel would contact me directly to confirm my booking but apparently this does not happen as I had to ring in advance to check I actually had a room booked before heading off on my journey. It would have been a lot more re-assuring to have some direct contact, even if it was an automatically generated email.

The Porthminster is a nice hotel but it is such a shame the brochure does not give an adequate impression of what things are really like there. The hotel itself was a little disappointing having read the brochure and looked at the website and this was a bit of a let down. I was expecting to find a much more modern hotel as that is the impression that is given, with all the amenities up and running rather than a building site and there is nowhere on the hotels website that tells you to expect the building works to be quite so extensive.

The staff were very helpful, so no complaints there and the food was lovely (we only had breakfast at the hotel so I can't comment on any other meals). Although the hotel is dated and therefore I would expect a little wear and tear, there are some modern touches here and there which are very nice and I am guessing once the building work has been completed it will be a big improvement. I just hope some money is spent on improving the general interior, especially the entrance, stair carpets and the lift as these area's really let it down which is a shame. Also, having keys to access rooms rather than cards is a little inconvinient, as is the expectation to hand the key in and collect it everytime you leave the hotel. It is a little restricting.

Our room was a standard double and was average. I think it was very over priced for what it was and the price really isn't acceptable for the standard of hotel. I think I would expect a little more for my money.

I have seen a lot of reviews here saying to get a sea view room, and I have to agree that would seem to be the best option as the view is stunning plus what with the main road and building works (and those famous seagulls!) not a lot of peaceful sleep can be had. There was no air conditioning in the room or a fan either which at this time of year really would have been nice and considering how warm it is and the only means of cool air is be opening a window out on to a noisy street. Admittedly we could have asked or booked a sea view room however at an extra £100 a night it really isn't an option and I think this is hugely expensive on an already over priced hotel.

The bed was very comfortable, one of the best we've slept in at a hotel, and the bathroom was very nice and modern however one of the light bulbs was not working (something I would hope would be checked?) and the bath did not let out the water as the plug kept getting stuck and the toilettries were not re-stocked on our second day leaving us with half a tiny bottle of bath/shower gel between us. Just a few little tweeks to the room really could make it a lovely bathroom. Also, there was quite a lot of hair in the bathroom and on some of the furniture in the room that wasn't from ourselves. I hope this is from a cleaner rather than a previous guest but even so, it's not very nice!

My main gripe is the parking situation. Again, the brochure and website are a little misleading in that they say there is free parking, which there is....it's just that it's not at the hotel itself and getting access to your car is rather difficult. There were no instructions given to us ahead of our journey to pull up outside the hotel and give the keys to a porter who would then drive the car away to be parked, something which would have been really handy to know ahead of our arrival! Also, I would imagine that if you have your car with you, chances are you would want easy access to it to travel around the area, but with it being locked up across the road underneath a building site it's not exactly convienient. Obviously in a small area like St Ives it is not easy to find parking, so a hotel that has it for free is great and will attract people like myself travelling a distance to get there to come along however it really should be explained what will happen and what the currently procedure is when booking takes place.

Over all, a pleasant stay but I would probably not book again unless things improved.

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview and a re-furbished room away from the building site if possible.
3 Thank Electrogirl80
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Just spent a long weekend at this hotel with my boyfriend. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and loved our room which was very clean and tastefully decorated with a gorgeous view over the beach. There are clearly building works going on next to the hotel but we were not aware of any noise and it certainly didn't disrupt our stay. Further to some previous reviews, some parts of the hotel could be freshened up a bit (for example the main stair carpet is patchy in places and the lift is ancient!!) but our room had clearly been redecorated recently and overall the hotel was clean, bright and comfortable.

The bed was amazingly soft and luxurious and the sound of the waves was very soothing. We did have early morning feathered visitors on our windowsill (but this is to be expected in St Ives). The breakfast was good value and the staff were friendly, polite and obliging. We will definitely be back very soon.

Room Tip: Get a sea view - worth the extra money for the view and refurbished rooms
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
richard_perris, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 July 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Hotel on this site, we appreciate all feedback and are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with your boyfriend with us, I know that the team will be extremely motivated by your praise. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future
Londonderry
Reviewed 19 July 2011

My husband and I returned yesterday (18/07/2011) from a 3 day stay in the Harbour Hotel ( the Porthminster), St Ives. We found the staff to be courteous and very helpful. We have only praise for them. We stayed in the Porthminster because we had traveled to St Ives to attend a family wedding. The wedding reception was also held in the Porthminster. We stayed in room 305 which had a sea view. It was clean and comfortable and had very comfortable beds. The room was cleaned daily whilst we were at breakfast, so we returned to find a clean and tidy room. We had dinner on two occasions in the Hotel and thoroughly enjoyed the food. On Sunday we were unable to finish our main courses and cancelled our desserts, but not because the food wasn't any good. The portion sizes were too generous and we were full up! My husband is a bit of a gannet, so this is a quite an achievement for the chef.
The wedding reception ran like clockwork and the food was plentiful and enjoyable, (both the meal and the evening buffet).
Yes, the Porthminster is currently being refurbished and the Spa and swimming pool are not available at the moment, but this had no negative impact on out stay at the Hotel. As for the building work, it did not affect us or the wedding arrangements at all.
However, we did get a complimentary, personal seagull who perched himself (as he was such an 'eejit', I presume he was male!) on one of the windowsills outside our room and stared in for prolonged periods with occasional 'squawks'. Do not be tempted to feed him! Just ignore him as we did.
All in all, our stay at the Porthminster was very enjoyable, comfortable and relaxed. We have no hesitation in recommending this Hotel. If we return to St Ives in the future, we will definitely use this Hotel again.

Room Tip: Book a seaview room.
1 Thank BlankingANNB
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel, we really appreciate all feedback and I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and that the wedding went so well. I am also glad to learn you made a friend in one our resident seagulls! Did no-one tell you you were free to take him home? I look forward to passing your kind comments on to the staff, such praise will be a wonderful boost for them. We hope to welcome you back to St Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa in the future.
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2011

The website for the St Ives Harbour Hotel is very misleading. The website designers have done a great job of marketing a modern, chic, well kept hotel. Unfortunately this is not the reality.

We stayed at this hotel for two nights in early July. The hotel is shabby in many of the public areas (with the exception of the breakfast room which has been refurbished), the paint and wallpaper is old fashioned and scuffed and the carpets are worn and are actually threadbare in some areas.

The lift requires that you close the two doors for it to function properly, on a few occasions the lift didn't respond because someone had left the doors open. This is obviously a huge inconvenience if you are elderly, pregnant or disabled.

There are significant building works opposite and next door to the hotel and I agree with the previous reviewers, there is no way that they will be completed in time and the spa will definitely not open on time.

When we arrived we had to park the car in a lock up some way away. This is not a major issue for us because we were not intending to use the car during the two days. If you are this could be an inconvenience.

Don't expect WiFi, its pretty terrible and not worth having.

On the plus side, the breakfast is good and the view is lovely from the breakfast room. The beach is great and can be seen from the hotel. St Ives is a short walk away so the location is convenient. The staff were friendly too.

Just don't believe the website, it's not a true reflection of the calibre and standard of the whole hotel. It is also very expensive for what it is. I would not recommend this hotel, look somewhere else for your St Ives accommodation.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
richard_perris, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 23 July 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel, we appreciate all feedback and are taking all of your comments on-board. I’m sorry to hear about your recent visit, it is our intention to give all guests the best experience possible and I’m sorry to hear that this was not the case. As we work to install our luxury new Spa and continue to refurbish this beautiful old Hotel to a high standard, our aim is to cause minimum disruption to our guests. Since the Harbour Hotels Group took over The Porthminster, vast improvements have been made in what is an ongoing project. The Spa will be opening in early August and I would love for you to see the improvements first-hand and hope to welcome you back in the future.
Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2011

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights at the end of June and paid for a Double Best with Sea View Balcony which cost a small fortune. Our room (120) was right next door to building works - we could not use the balcony because it was covered in builders dust and the builders were right next door (indeed at one stage they had a scaffold up onto our balcony) we were woken between 6.30 and 7.00 am each morning by the builders (some of whom are living in the hotel) slamming doors. When we complained on the last day we were offered a discount (but this happened way too easily for my liking and was most definitely not adequate for the disruption caused). The room itself had many problems - bathroom door did not shut, balcony door had to be opened by finding a metal object to open it as part of lock was missing, no full length mirror, iron offered was broken and leaked...all in all I was absolutely mortified that we had stayed at this hotel especially when we visited one just down the hill which was far superior and much cheaper. The staff on our arrival were fantastic is about all I can say. Oh yes and beware of leaving valuables in the room as we found our door open we returned on afternoon with the cleaner in the room next door!!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KAZZAQ1966
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel on this site, we appreciate all feedback and will look into all the issues you have raised. I am saddened to hear about your recent visit. Customer satisfaction is our top priority and I’m sorry to hear of your disappointment during your stay. As we work to install our luxury new Spa and continue to refurbish the Hotel to a high standard, our aim is to cause minimum disruption to our guests, so I can only apologise for any noise that affected your stay. We have extremely strict construction hours, and will be reiterating these to all staff concerned. In regards to the maintenance issues in your room, I wish that these had been brought to my attention at the start of your stay so they could have been rectified. With the Spa opening in August, I would love for you to see the completed improvements first-hand hope to welcome you back in the near future.