St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa
Chy-An-Albany(St Ives)
US$161
US$259
  • Breakfast included
Tregenna Castle Resort(St Ives)(Great Value!)
US$285
US$491
US$353
Orbitz.com
The Regent(St Ives)
The Gannet Inn(Carbis Bay)
Cottage Hotel(Carbis Bay)
  • Breakfast included
1,597 results
All reviewssea viewcar parkwedding venuevisited this hoteloverlooking the beachbuilding workpublic areasout of seasonamazing viewsshort breaklovely roomnight breakjacuzzirebeccaharbourstives
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 August 2011

This hotel has an absolutely superb location, backing onto a beautiful beach, with many bedrooms and function rooms overlooking what must be one of the best views on the British coast. Apart from this, the other positives were the staff - all were professional and friendly and really seemed to enjoy their work, and the breakfasts which were tasty and well-organised (buffet and made-to-order). Now the downsides: our room was on the road side and with no air conditioning, having the window open all day and night meant that not only was it noisy with traffic and building works, but bizarrely also did not cool down (which was bizarre as we were not enjoying a really hot spell). Our room had undergone the refurbishment
which is clearly being rolled out throughout the hotel and is exactly the sort of modern quality look one would expect in an establishment charging the prices that the Porthminster does. It contained a double (not King or Queen) bed and a very tiny shower room off it, where one of the bulbs in the new lights was not working. The hotel also boasts wifi but we couldn't get anything in our room (This is such a basic nowadays that this really should be working). There is a sign by the beach path up to the Porthminster announcing that the hotel is open to non-residents. Follow this path and you arrive at a wonderful terrace overlooking the beach but with no staff to serve you at all. Cream teas at the Porthminster with THAT view should be the goldmine paying for all the refurbishment - such a waste that there aren't any or indeed just simple drinks. The final gripe - and the sour taste that the Porthminster must leave in the mouths of all it's customers is that it slaps on 2.5% charge for visa MasterCard and 5% Amex payment. When you are spending £400 for a 2 night stay you don't expect this. Does The Porthminster want to be seen as the Ryanair of the hotel world!? If so it needs to slash its prices first before adding on ridiculous surcharges. Such a shame!

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank CJMANUK
Philip_Cardnell, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2011

Thank you for posting your review and for your constructive observations. I am delighted that you enjoyed our team and our welcome matched that amazing view. Again, I am pleased that you enjoyed the room appointments and I have noted that even when the weather is bringing "liquid sunshine" rather than the ideal kind, your room was hot - I will investigate this for the benefit of all our guests. We are, as I write, innovating how we best use our Terrace whether cream teas, sundowner cocktails and tapas, evening summer BBQ's or al fresco dining for lunch and dinner - perhaps if you would entertain a return visit, you would really enjoy these extra services. I will certainly address the other issues you raise appropriately. Once again, thank you for your comments, they are well taken and genuinely appreciated.

Reviewed 24 August 2011

Fabulous room,friendly,helpful staff, good location,wonderful breakfast room with views out over the beach. Delicious breakfast. Couldn't have asked for a more relaxing break

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alinorris

Thank you for your review and kind words. Next time you need a relaxing break, a warm "welcome home" will await you!

Reviewed 22 August 2011

We stayed here and found the idea of the valet service quite novel so to speak, it was some what unusual to have your car taken for you with litle hastle. The room which we stayed in was somewhat dated but acceptable to our needs and it has a wonderful view of the bay. Beautiful. Didnt eat in the hotel just for the reason that it was a long hard walk up the hill from the town centre and could easily have eaten in the town, The only niggle I have is the time I was standing in reception and a receptionist was being quite rude to a young gentleman, another member of staff no less! She wasnt a very plesant character anyway to be honest she was quite rude and abrupt when we arrived, it wasnt directed at me but at another customer and then another receptionist. Her name was possibly Wendy, but I could be mistaken. That other poor young receptionist and that lad she decided to be downright discusting to was terrible, I found it was very upsetting for me so if I was them I dont know what I would have done. But apart from this the hotel is lovely shame it was let down by this woman!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Katy S
Philip_Cardnell, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and I am extremely pleased that you generally enjoyed your stay. I will most certainly investigate your observations regarding Reception although I have to say in reassurance, it is extremely out of character. I very much hope to be able to welcome you back in the future for a stay filled with nothing but traditional Cornish warmth and hospitality.

Reviewed 21 August 2011

This hotel will be awesome. I love the Harbour Hotels but this is special. The decor of the dining room , longes and bar is wonderful. Staff are great, polite, funny and friendly. Ok the car park was not available but the shuttle bus service a lovely thought. sea views unbeatable. world class

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank jeoff42

Thank you for your kind words, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and took the time to get to know members of the team. We look forward to seeing you again soon when a the warmest of welcomes awaits you.

Reviewed 9 August 2011

St Ives Harbour Hotel the Porthminster makes an ideal wedding venue. The bar, lounge and function rooms all have wonderful sea views and have been recently decorated to a high standard.
The staff are all very helpful and our day was well organised. Rebecca and Clare do a great job. We live in Nottinghamshire so most communication was by email. The rooms were all set up to my instructions perfectly and they make sure that everyone is where they should be at the right time.
We got married on one of the only rainy days in May but the photos inside the hotel look fab. There are major construction works going on at present but the hotel have done a good job of disguising it and the small garden area looks attractive. The beach is less than 5 minutes walk and provides excellent photo opportunities, even in the rain though we did have a big brolly!
The canapés at the drinks reception were excellent as was the choice of drinks. The wedding breakfast was a BBQ and the meat selection very good and tasted great however the salads were lacking. The Veggie options were good. The desserts were delicious. They accommodated any dietary needs very well.
The MC Mark did an excellent job of supervising the afternoon and evening celebrations. The DJ is also excellent value for money - he did a great job.
The honeymoon suite is lovely with a large sitting area, bedroom and devine bathroom. We got some great bridal preparation photos!
The hotel don't do any deals for wedding guests which I think is a shame but with literally hundreds of alternatives nearby it's not a big problem.
We had a fantastic day and our guests all enjoyed themselves. The staff and sea-views are what make the hotel a great place for your wedding. With the new spa opening soon I can't wait to return!

• Stayed: May 2011
Philip_Cardnell, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2011

Thank you for your review and once again, many congratulations on your marriage from all of us here. You have been extremely kind with your praise and I am delighted that your day was such a success - I will certainly make sure we address the issue of accommodation rates for attending guests. See you for your first anniversary!!