“Nice night at the St Ives Harbour Hotel”

St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in St Ives
Reviewed 9 October 2011

Was in St Ives for business but arrived late so no shops or restaurants were open. Hotel staff was very helpful with room service. Hotel was nice, clean and I was perfectly happy for the night.
Didn't get my wake up call, though... didn't matter, as I woke up without it, but not really great that it was missed... they were very apologetic and gave me a reduction on the room... super :)

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Philip_Cardnell, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2011

Good afternoon and thank you for posting your review. I am sorry that the wake up call was missed, but I am equally pleased that the situation was resolved quickly and appropriately. Please do visit us again and next time I promise the wake up call will be in good time, alternatively, perhaps for a longer stay for some much needed R&R when an early call will be the last thing you will need!
Kindest regards
Philip

There are newer reviews for St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 7 October 2011

The new spa at this hotel is fantastic, my husband & I were only staying for 1 night but spent the afternoon enjoying this facility.
The hotel is a totally different story. Our suit at £225 per night was old,dirty & in the middle of a building site. Every window/balcony you looked out of the builders were in sight, we had to try to look past this at the sea view which was lovely.
The restaurant was closed for redecoration & another room was being used for dinner.
When we arrived the receptionist was not very welcoming, although the manager did greet us with a friendly manner & helped us take our luggage to our room.
The car parking is a little worrying as our car was taken off by a porter to an unknown place & I was unsure if this was secure.
As we sat in the reception the next morning waiting for our car, we could hear the staff talking about their previous night out which I thought was unprofessional.
Did not eat in the restaurant so can't comment on this, but breakfast was ok.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lynn S

Thank you for taking the time to highlight your concerns. I am delighted that you enjoyed our new Harbour Spa, but am equally disappointed at your other observations especially regarding your suite. I have addressed this with my team to refocus on cleanliness, although I have good news that as part of our ongoing refurbishment - for example the restaurant being newly wallpapered, the rooms will be upgraded very soon. The builders have moved away from that area of the hotel now and are no longer interrupting the view or indeed making any noise to disturb the peace and quiet. The valet car parking is a service that we have offered here uniquely in St. Ives for the comfort of our guests - they are all excellent drivers and take great care with the vehilces with whichthey are entrusted. I am sorry that your welcome was not as warm as we are renowned for, I am just not sure why this would have been the case. Similarly, for staff to be discussing their social lives is simply not appropriate and again I will highlight this to them in the strongest terms. Thank you again for your time, and pleae do contact me personally at the hotel when I would like to resolve your dissatisfaction in a more appropriate manner.

Reviewed 5 October 2011

Our stay at Harbour Hotel had been long in the planning & i have to say Joy the lady on reception prior to booking was fab, car parking was not a problem the staff assisted with luggage & then paked car, when we needed it they fetched it back, easy. We had a sea view room which was large and a big bathroom too, [305] i agree with other reviews the windows were dirty, but due to the adjacent construction work there wasn't a lot staff could do. There was nothing over the top re greeting & we didn't get introduced to any staff or their role even the infamous Des didn't meet us! Our disapointment was with the service in the resturant, our 1st night dinner res for 8pm started with the wrong day & date on the menu, of which we were not told about, it was then 26 mins before anyone approached us, then told us of the menu prob, 13 mins later wine arrived and it took 1hr 19mins before food arrived, there were 5 staff working & were all professional just no team work at all! however the food was great, breakfast again food brill & massive choice but so so disorganised staff, no marmalade, other guests said they had asked for it but told run out [send staff to local shops!] there was none for the entire stay, Dinner we opted for 7pm thinkinking this may be better time which it was, however they still forgot to add 'lightly poached egg' to salad, these problems occured every meal time, not a good look, it was like a posh Fawlty Towers! this said we are very easy going people but other guests not so, these problems could so easily be fixed but the Hotel was NOT presenting not a professional image, shame really and on reflection don't know why, also there were no evaluations to complete.
In relation to the on going internal & external work this has to happen at some point, i think if guests were told about it, offered some 'freebie, or discount' it would have been easier to swallow. all in all great food but poor customer care, would go back beautiful area,

2  Thank Julie A

Good afternoon Julie and thank you for taking the time to post your review. Obviously I am extremely pleased to learn how well Joy assisted with the planning process but I am extremely saddened that all this effort was let down by our food service. We did have a few totally unforeseen issues and challenges however there is no excusing not fulfilling these basics for our guests. I can only assure you that such episodes are extremely few and far between but no less irritating or disappointing to our guests for that.

I have checked the rosters and have to tell you that Des was off duty for most of your stay - unfortunately his batteries need charging occasionally, but I will certainly note that the presence he creates is missed in his absence and we must take steps to plan accordingly.

I do base myself at Reception most of the time, and can only believe that I must have been otherwise engaged not to have been able to see you and discuss then and there the challenges you endured. As you say, the location here is truly spectacular and with our new Spa, I feel we can make proper amends if you would be prepared to give us the chance. Please do contact me personally at the hotel and I will ensure we resolve the situation correctly for you.

Reviewed 3 October 2011

Our wedding ceremony and reception at the St Ives Harbour Hotel, Porthminster were absolutely perfect, Phil and I loved it and so did all our guests. The day went so well, you all made sure that every tiny little detail was seen to. Nothing was too much trouble for you! The Harbour Suite where the ceremony took place had the most breathtaking views across the bay as did the Godrevy Suite where our meal and reception took place. The food and service was wonderful. Our complimentary room was stunning again with panoramic views across the bay. We had the most brilliant time getting ready for the ceremony drinking champagne and eating strawberries with my bridesmaid Sheila. All in all a splendid day! Even the sun shone for us! All our guests have not stopped talking about it and everyone agrees it was the best wedding ever!!
Thank you all so much especially Christy, Serene and Rebecca for giving us the most perfect day!

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are amazing!

Good afternoon Angela & Phil,
Thank you for letting the world know how much you enjoyed your wonderful Wedding Day and for your kind words for Christy, Serene and Rebecca - this will truly mean a lot to them. I am delighted that we were able to be a small part of your day, it was not easy arranging for the sunshine, but Rebecca and team will stop at nothing to create that perfect day. From all of us here, we wish you nothing but the very best in life and love - dont forget to come back to visit your St. Ives family soon.

Reviewed 1 October 2011

We stayed one night at the end of a weeks holiday to Cornwall. The view from our room was amazing, right over the beach and bay. We were upgraded to this room on the top floor with a small balcony. I think this was probably because of the noise from a Wedding. The room was down lots of narrow corridors, through doors up stairs, without a lift. The place is undergoing refurbishment but we felt this part should not have been let as the corridors looked grim with stripped wallpaper, dam plaster and a fusty smell. The room was very large and clean (117) but with a dated feel. The bathroom had a new basin but the towel holder was broken and lying in the sink. The light wouldn't come on for all our trying.
They have a very nice brand new gym, spa, pool and hot tub. Breakfast was good and again the view from the table was amazing, but the table was too small for 2 people. The sitting room had been very nicely refurbished. You couldn't easily get a drink after 11pm even though a Wedding was still going on.
The parking is a challenge. You have to pull up on a double yellow line out the front on a busy road and wait for a Valet to take your car away. It goes down a very steep slope to beach level but the road is single track so if you meet anyone a lot of reversing has to be done. The staff did try really hard with the car situation but at check out time you could wait a while. Walking up from the beach we couldn't seem to find a way in to the back of the hotel that was open, some waiting staff let us in to a function room just before the bride and groom appeared and we did feel a bit awkward but then saw another couple trying to do the same thing. We paid £155 a night. The view was wonderful but would have been easier to see through clean windows. I wouldn't go back because of the parking, dated feel of the room and difficulty getting around the hotel inside and out.

1  Thank melh13
Philip_Cardnell, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2011

Good evening and thank you for posting your review.
I am sorry that the ongoing redecoration interfered with the quality of your stay. We are lucky enough to be very busy all year round and there is no really good time to undertake such works, but I completely understand your comment and discomfort. The very good news is that our refurbishment programme will continue, more discreetly to competion in the coming months and once we have our multi-storey car park open, I believe that many of the issues you have noted will be very positively resolved. Please contact me directly to arrange a return visit at which time you will be able to enjoy us at our very best - the perfect balance of the modern and the traditional.

Reviewed 30 September 2011

Where to start.
I booked my break having already read the reviews on here. So I was aware there were problems with parking and builders etc. I have to say though that I was still quite shocked at the reality of it.
Luckily I seemed to have been allocated a refurbished room. Which was nice. Although on one night of my stay I was treated to a rather noisy wedding party too.
Anyway. My overall impression? I think when the hotel is finished it is going to be very nice. It's not quite there yet. Staff were excellent dealing with the car parking issues. I didn't feel inconvenienced by leaving my keys with them it all. Receptionists were very helpful with local information. The food in the restaurant is lovely. I would recommend eating in. But the staff in there made me feel a bit uncomfortable. As though everything was too much trouble.
The spa is gorgeous and a lovely facility. Des (the Duty Manager) was the star of the show for me though. I spoke to him shortly after I booked in (he called the room to introduce himself which was a nice touch), he was friendly throughout, seemed genuinely interested that everything was OK and he was my saving grace in the restaurant on my last night. He seemed to be the only one who could manage to get me the meal I wanted for some reason! I got the impression that for the greater part, staff know about the problems for guests at the moment and most are doing their best to minimise any inconvenience.
Would I go back? I would. I did like the hotel. The views are amazing. And where work has been finished, the hotel is very nice. And although I'm not sure I'll ever be back in St Ives, if I am, I will stay here again. Although I would prefer it if the builders had left.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
I am very grateful for your kind words for our wonderful new Harbour Spa and of course, for our food under our new Executive Chef Dean. I am sorry that you found our staff to have been less responsive than they shoudl have been - of course, I am delighted that Des was there for you, he is quite a star!
It would be a delight to welcome you back at some point in the future, make sure you call us directly and let us know you are coming - I will make sure Des is standing by, and that there are absolutely no builders.

Reviewed 29 September 2011

This review is not meant to be damning but constructive to staff who are doing their best in difficult circumstances.I booked this hotel for a special birthday holiday and fortunately my friend rang up a few times to try to ensure that we were given a good room. When we arrived we had been upgraded to a superior sea view room which was the saving grace for the holiday. Our room was very good but the little balcony that was with it was absolutely filthy, covered in dust and cement. I cleaned the table and chairs and the ledge myself. To be fair we didn't complain about it because we were so grateful to have it, having only paid for a standard room, but we did tell Des (the Duty Manager)about it before we left. My friend had read the reviews about problems with parking but was assured when she rang that there wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately this wasn't the case. The only real parking available is via a steep single file track well below the hotel. We did attempt it once but after let the hotel staff park it and get it when we need it. In fairness there was always someone there to do this and if you are happy with this arrangement it isn't a problem. The food mostly was very good but our last evening was a disaster. The main meal was like eating a block of salt and there were several complaints until eventually it was taken off the menu. We were told that they had agency chefs whilst waiting for the new chef. We fortunately had our wine included in the price (an oversight though I think) and to be honest I wouldn't have been happy paying the prices charged for the quality of the wine. They need a new wine supplier I think. The food at breakfast was good but the service was chaotic, things going to the wrong tables,waiting too long for things etc. I saw a few people asking for hot water with coffee because it was far too strong, I ended up asking for instant coffee. Why don't they just make it less strong?To get my coffee served with my hot breakfast seemed to be an incompressible task. We did see several of the other rooms whilst we were there, including the one that the reviewer Fossil54 had, and I can understand their grievance. Some of the rooms we saw were small and dark, making us realise how fortunate we were with our room. In conclusion I think that the staff are all very friendly and helpful, the views from the restaurant and sea view rooms are wonderful, but that the standard of a lot of the rooms and the problems with parking don't really warrant the price of staying here.

Room Tip: Room 119 was a large sea view room with a small "balcony" and was lovely and quiet. Avoid...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank HermajestyStHelens

Good evening and thank you for taking the time to post your review. Rest assured, you points have been taken as constructively as they were intended. I am extremely sorry that balcony was not properly prepared for you - this is certainly not the standard we aspire to. I understand your observation about the car parking, it will be a matter of a couple of months now and our new multi-storey will be completed which will resolve things in a very satisfactory way for our guests.

Our new Executive Chef Dean has arrived and already brought a new dimension to our cuisine using local ingredients. We had one agency chef to augment our own brigade so please do not be worried on that score. I note your comments about the wine - I am led to believe that it was indeed part of your package and not an oversight. I do agree that we serve a fully flavoured cup of coffee and at this stage, I dont really want to dilute, however, as always we will keep a closeeye on popular opinion and adjust if necessary.

Once again, thank you for your consructive feedback - I genuinely hope to be able to welcome you back to enjoy the significant improvements we are already on the way to achieving.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Ives
Pedn Olva Hotel
#5 of 20 in St Ives
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay

Been to St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!