“The Duty Manager”

St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Reviewed 9 February 2012

My partner and I stayed here on 6th and 7th Feb., following 3 nights in Sennen Cove. My partner had booked two nights as a surprise on our way home to South Wales via the Social Living website and had paid for an upgrade to a sea view. When we got to our room she was extremely disappointed and a little upset, as the sea view was very restricted. I spoke to the staff on the reception desk and asked whether there was an alternative room available, but aware that extensive refurbishment was ongoing at the hotel. They referred me to the duty manager, Mr Des Chaplin, who enquired what the problem was. When I explained the situation, he took me to an alternative room on the first floor ( room 110 ), which turned out to be a suite, at no extra cost, with huge views of the town and bay.
During the course of our stay, he always stopped for a chat if he saw us. As a result of the way he dealt with our problem, we would definately return to the hotel. Thank you Mr. Chaplin.
Having said that, the rest of the staff were helpfull and courteous at all times.
Yes, there is a major refurbishment programme ongoing, but this did not detract much during our stay, with the spa being a very relaxing place to be. All in all a relaxing stay
When the refurbishment programme has been completed, this hotel, I would imagine, will be the best in the area.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Llanwand
jasonparry55, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2012

Good afternoon and thank you for the taking the time to post this review. I am delighted to read that our team went above on beyond to ensure that you had a relaxing stay, we pride ourselves on great service and I’m pleased to learn that as a result of this you will return to our hotel – we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 4 February 2012

Fantastic views of the bay area of St Ives excellent food well presented, despite a busy time for the staff over new years eave.
The entertainment was adjusted to the age range including the band and well kitted DJ

Room Tip: Ask for an up-grade
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John H
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Three friends and I had a Spa Day at the hotel. I can't tell you how much we hard working girls were looking forward to a pampering, restful day. Can I mention the facials and massages we had we faultless and the girls charming (there was a sound of drilling but , as has been mentioned there is a lot of building works going on.) The pool and spa itself (only finished in Oct 2011 I believe) were lovely apart from the brown stains all over the white ceiling. By the end of the afternoon we were watching water drip down from the light fitting and into the pool.
However 2 incidents really made this day exceptional. Firstly lunch - we had a salad bowl with a choice of ham, cheese etc. I thought mine was gritty and eventually had a mouthful of mud . On further examination I found about a heaped teaspoonful of soil nestling amongst the salad leaves. Absolutely revolting. The second highlight of the day was my friend becoming trapped in the shower due to a faulty door seal. She was rescued, eventually by another swimmer who was able to pull open the door and release her. She is claustrophobic and near panic! The staff to whom these incidents were reported too were duly horrified and apologetic but wouldn't it have been nice if a Manager had come in person or picked up the phone to .apologise?

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jain O
Philip_Cardnell, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2012

Good afternoon and may I immediately extend my most sincere apologies to you all for the challenges you faced. Albeit belatedly, I would very much welcome the opportunity to speak with you personally about this and to making things right - please contact me at the hotel philip.cardnell@harbourhotels.co.uk or 01736 795221 at your earliest convenience.

Reviewed 2 February 2012

I read some reviews of this hotel prior to our stay there. I was a little alarmed by the negative comments. I can only conclude that some of the negative comments were made by people who had stayed at a different hotel from my wife and I! We just had a wonderful 3 days there, great service, great food, thoroughly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Good afternoon and thank you for your wonderful review - I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and I very much look forward to seeing you again in the future. Apparently it nevers snows in St. Ives in February!!!

Reviewed 22 January 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a nights stay at this hotel and like a previous reviewer had to check the website again to make sure we had stayed at the hotel we thought we had booked.

We were aware of the ongoing refurbishment programme but decided to perservere as it was a treat for my wifes birthday and St Ives is one of her favourite destinations and having checked the hotel website, thought it looked a good choice.

On arrival, the staff appeared helpful, a porter escorted us by car down to the car park which was located at the bottom of a steep, narrow hill. This didnt bother us but can imagine it would be an inconvenience to some guests.

We checked in and went to our room (104). First impressions, amazing view, decor a bit dated but looks OK. Upon closer inspection, unfortunately all downhill from there. Dirty water stain on the wall, (appears that they may have had a problem with damp before but not sure, very unsightly though), cobwebs on the window lock, ripped curtains, bathroom was very cold and mould on the blinds and wall.

My wife went back to reception to complain and was offered another room and was given the key to inspect it herself which we felt was a bit odd, surely it would have been more professional to have been escorted?? My wife returned and said the alternative room was even worse and was told that was that was the only other accommodation available as they were virtually full and that the refurbished rooms were occupied. She was not given an apology or offered a discount.

Our rate included breakfast and although the food was good and the restaurant staff were friendly, they appeared to be under staffed and under pressure.

In addition, and not wanting to be picky, the money (more than the room rate) was taken from our account on the day we arrived, as I checked my balance when we walked into St Ives. Is it not common practice to pay on departure?? I questioned this with the receptionist when we checked out but she said it had not been taken, I wasnt going to argue with her as we just wanted to leave. If this is normal procedure, it was not explained upon arrival.

Trying to end on a good note, the bed was very comfortable and the shower was lovely but unfortunately, apart from the view, these are the only positive aspects to say about our stay.

We have travelled all over the world and this is the first review I have felt compelled to write. This hotel will be lovely when the refurbishment is complete but we will not be staying again in the near future.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mrandmrsHBristol
Philip_Cardnell, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2012

Good afternoon and thank you for your review - may I immedaitely apologise for the disappointment you have experienced. I would welcome the opportunity to talk with you directly, please contact me by telephone at the hotel or by email to philip.cardnell@harbourhotels.co.uk. I certainly intend to make this situation right for you if given the opportunity.

Reviewed 21 January 2012

We enjoyed our break here but it was a rather mixed experience. As other reviewers will have noted, the rooms are extremely variable in quality and so great care needs to be taken in ensuring you get a fully upgraded room. I would not desribe the room as especially clean, as there had been water through the ceiling - given the water marks in the roof and water dribble marks on the the light fittings. The bathroom was old and murky in corners. The pool and spa area is very nice. The food and service is very mixed in terms of quality and speed with some excellent staff and others not. Breakfast ok but perhaps lacking presentation. Meal service sometimes very very slow and impersonal, other times excellent. The reception were always helpful and cheery. The soothing views calmed disatisfaction and rough edges.

Room Tip: Sea view balconyand fully upgraded essential..check the details here.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

Good morning and thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am naturally pleased that you enjoyed our new Harbour Spa and am delighted to reassure you that we are in the process of refurbishing 30 of our rooms over the coming 2 months. I am absolutely sure that once this is completed we will tick all of the boxes for you. I very much hope you will return to see us at our new, improved and very best.

Reviewed 15 January 2012

Booked on a winter special Dinner Bed & Breakfast package for one night.
Beautiful hotel in great setting with stunning views.
Upgraded to a sea view but was slightly disappointed with the dated decor and mouldy wallpaper, not one of the contemporary rooms pictured on the website!
Food was very good but we were disappointed that there was an extra charge for most items on the menu (steak was an extra £9)
Breakfast was lovely but such a long wait for the cooked breakfast after ordering. At both breakfast and dinner various items on the menu were not available which we only found out when trying to order them.
The worse thing was there a wedding going on in the hotel with a very loud disco that went on to past midnight. It was so loud that I was lying in bed singing along to the songs!
Spa was lovely and the view from dining room, spa and sea view rooms is amazing.

• Stayed: January 2012
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
The Gannet Inn
The Gannet Inn
#2 of 4 in Carbis Bay

Been to St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!