“Fantastic stay”

St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in St Ives
Reviewed 22 March 2012

My friend and I stayed at this hotel last week, we had a fantastic time. Our room overlooking the bay was lovely, the staff were friendly and helpful. yes there was building work going on, but we found there was little disruption and the workmen were polite and always stopped what they were doing to open doors etc. The communal sitting areas are stunning. Slight disappointment was finding the beauty therapist was fully booked and had no slots available. Will definitely book these in advance next time.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank ruby96
jasonparry55, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2012

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay, I know the team here will be motivated by your praise and I am so pleased that you had such a lovely stay with us. Our spa can at times get quite busy and therefore I would always recommend booking any desired treatments prior to arrival to avoid disappointment, I am so sorry if this was not recommended upon booking. I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel again very soon.

Reviewed 22 March 2012

I have just returned from "Harbour Spa Day" with my daughter at the St Ives Harbour Hotel and wanted to share our experience with others. We were warmly greeted by the reception staff and given a quick tour of the facilities. The gym is well fitted out and has such wonderful views that our time exercising passed in a flash. The pool and surrounding area were lovely (though the ceiling does need a little repair) and although the pool water seemed a little cool at the start it was not a problem as the air temperature in the pool area was quite warm. The sauna, steam room and jacuzzi were all very nice. There were six recliners by the pool which were full for most of the time but we were lucky enough to manage to have one each whilst we were there. There is also an outside area with lovely views which would have been nice to use if the weather had been better. We had a delicious lunch in the Harbour Restaurant which has the most wonderful views of St Ives. In the afternoon we both had massages which were very relaxing and enjoyable. My daughter and I were planning our next spa day before we even left and I am also considering surprising my husband with a stay here for his upcoming 50th Birthday next month.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

I wanted to drop you a short line to thank you for your feedback on your recent visit to the Harbour Spa at the St. Ives Harbour Hotel. It is lovely to hear that you had a most enjoyable day and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and spa again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 22 March 2012

Just come back from a short break at this hotel. I was a bit worried having read the previous reviews and it wouldn't have been my first choice but it was the only hotel that could accommodate my party of 3 in the room configuration we wanted.

There were a number of niggly issues. Parking was a bit tricky although to be fair the hotel help with this. There were workmen every where. They were very polite but it did give the impression we were on a building site. The irritating things were that although we were a party of three everything seemed set up for 2 so we had to ask for another set of bath towels,only two tea cups provided, and not enough tea bags. Our toilet also leaked from the base only slightly, but not great. We were told after our return after a whole day out that it had been fixed as it was on the maintenance list but this was clearly untrue and when someone came to have another look they said it was a major job to fix. It was our last night so we said we would leave it. I realise the above all sounds a bit negative, on the plus side our rooms were lovely and big with a great sea view and very comfy beds with pristine sheets. The location of the hotel is excellent only a 10 min walk to the harbour. Overall I felt the staff were working hard to provide a good service in difficult circumstances. They just need to get the little details right and it will be a fantastic hotel. Oh yes I forgot one of the blinds in our room didn't work.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank diddymanhughes

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the hotel here on this site. Having only recently taken over the hotel, I really appreciate all feedback as it extremely useful in developing the aspects of the service we offer to our guests. I am sorry that there were a few niggly issues and I can assure we are working hard to address these as quickly as possible and do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the St. Ives Harbour Hotel again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 19 March 2012

This is a hotel that is clearly in transition from a mid-range tired hotel to a classy contemporary new venue. There was considerable work going on which was tiresome but the hotel had attempted to minimise the intrusion. We arrived very early and it was no problem to check in and leave our bags and use the spa until our room was ready - many thanks to receptionist Jan, who is an asset to the hotel, and whose service is spot-on for the ethos the hotel is attempting to achieve - not so for other staff in the hotel, who seemed inexperienced and ill-trained for high-end service. The wet spa, treatment rooms and treatments themselves were first rate (and we've had MANY) only problem being the ceiling in the pool area was clearly suffering from the humidity. The bedroom was spacious and airy with a well appointed bathroom. Water pressure was low and noisily pumped - indeed we could hear this in other nearby rooms, as we could doors opening and closing. The beds were in poor condition and clearly would not have been able to stand up unaided had they not been pushed together. The restaurant was a very mixed blessing. Food was overall good, but kitchen and waiting staff were clearly overstretched in what was not a big restaurant. Organisation was poor, and despite the general manager and the F&B supervisor (her manner clearly needs some work) working constantly, the service really compromised the experience. Breakfast was better and the view from the restaurant is stunning. There is much to sort out still, but the hotel has much to recommend it, and should (hopefully) only get better once redecoration is complete and service standards are reviewed.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
jasonparry55, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, I really appreciate the feedback and as the new General Manager here it is lovely to hear that our guests have enjoyed their stay with us. We are indeed in the process of reviewing all of our service standards across the hotel and I am so sorry that you found such a broad mix of experiences from members of our team, I can assure you that your comments are very welcome and we, as a team are addressing them as a matter of urgency. In terms of the bedrooms, there is a programme in place to address any shortcomings and I will personally check the room you stayed in and address these points immediately. I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the St. Ives Harbour Hotel again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 19 March 2012

Have just arrived back. I was a bit concerned after reading recent reviews. However we found ALL the staff in all areas very pleasant indeed. Our room was of 4 star standard (bit of water damage on the ceiling) but nothing to make a fuss about. We went on the half board offer and all the food was lovely albeit a bit cold for me (I do like piping hot food). We used the spa which was very nicely done and staff once again very polite.
We do visit St Ives several times a year, but we have never stayed at this hotel. In fact we prefer to self cater, but we will definately keep an eye open for anymore dinner, bed and breakfast deals and hopefully return again.

1  Thank lesleypuplett

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, I really appreciate the feedback and as the new General Manager here it is lovely to hear that our guests have enjoyed their stay with us. When you next visit please remind us that you prefer your food piping hot and our Chef, Daniel Dennis, and his team will be more than happy to oblige. I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the St. Ives Harbour Hotel again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 18 March 2012

My brother and I have stayed at this hotel 3 times previously. We've always been impressed with the location, food and service although we did have a spot of bother with rooms on one occasion (although this was rectified immediately and entirely to our satisfaction). Our most recent visit last week did not disappoint. Wonderful view from the dining room, food was first class, cooked breakfasts wonderful, staff friendly, attentive and all so hard-working. The manager (who I believe was standing in at very short notice) was second to none; he was working from 7 am to 11pm every day. I understand that the chef had also been brought in at very short notice from Salcombe, and that they were generally short-staffed. I saw no signs of that at all. Yes, they were in the middle of redecorating and there was a lot of building work going on across the road and to the side of the hotel, but this did not detract from our stay in any way.

Our rooms (two singles) were perhaps not the best in the hotel, but we only paid £145 each for 3 nights dinner (3 course) bed and full Cornish breakfast; that's less than rooms only in the Premier Inn at nearby Hayle!! Lovely comfy beds, luxurious bedding, soft fluffy towels, glimpses of the sea.

My only gripe (and it's a small one) was the piped music played in the lounge. Not that it was too loud, but it was different from the piped music in the bar area!

1  Thank Tolcarne

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, I really appreciate the feedback and as the new General Manager here it is lovely to hear that our guests have enjoyed their stay with us. With regards to piped music, this is being addressed currently and when you next visit you will see this has been addressed. I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the St. Ives Harbour Hotel again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 13 March 2012

Had made enquiries for staying here for Valentines in 2011 but didn’t make it. Noticed the place was being refurbished then and still is!

We received a voucher as a Christmas gift and with our forthcoming 30th anniversary due in January thought we would use it then. A friend of ours had secretly booked a weekend for his wifes birthday and she rang us suggesting we joined them. We couldn’t make the Friday night so joined them on the Saturday.

We arrived about 11.30am to drop our luggage, room was ready so were allowed to check in. We were handed a key card and set off for the room. Key did not work, went back to reception where I was told that it should be working! They reset it, so back to the room, still not working so back to reception. Receptionist was very off hand, came and let me in and told me to collect key on our return, which I did. Not a good start and I hate those key cards anyway.

Had a lovely day in St Ives arriving back to hotel around 4.30 it was a bitterly cold day and very windy so glad to get inside. The hotel was quite busy and we found out there was a wedding party that night.

We had a look around; reception was in middle of refurbishment and a bit chaotic, bar and restaurant all done, ok but a little dark in places for my taste. All corridors look tired and in need of attention. I guess our room was already done as it had modern headboard, cushions and blinds. Ceiling had lots of water damage which I notice others have commented on. Old sash style windows that were in very poor condition. New looking bathroom which was spoilt by a lot of mouldy grout in shower cubicle and the shower itself was a work of art to operate, once in went from scalding to freezing. Meagre tea tray with 1 packet of biscuits, 2 teabags, 2 coffees and 2 milks! The room was at the back on the road so no sea view; we had chosen not to pay the supplement as it was only 1 night. TV was a pain, no BBC channels and we needed to get a weather forecast. Heard a number of people complaining that wi-fi was not working.

Our friends had eaten in the hotel the night before and said it was ‘ok’. But we had booked at The Sea Grass and had a wonderful meal and evening there. Got back to the hotel around midnight and it was noisy and busy as expected.

I have rarely stayed in a hotel with a good bed and this was no exception! The room was very hot and the windows had so much paint on them most did not open, I eventually managed to get one to open but it did not stay that way, the only thing in the room to wedge it with was the spare loo roll!

Went for a wander outside before breakfast, not a pleasant experience. The entire outside of the hotel needed a major paint up which is clearly a mammoth task, all very nice having inside done but first impressions are very poor. General building waste, garden furniture, empty bottles scattered about. Large building project going on, you’d think they would concentrate on finishing hotel refurbishment before embarking on adding more accommodation! A generally very shabby exterior.

The dining room was not busy when we arrived, easily got a table for 4. Self service for cereals, juice, ect, waitress took order for drinks, toast and cooked items. We waited around 15 minutes for coffee and 30 minutes for our cooked breakfast. We all enjoyed what we had chosen but it was spoilt by far too long a wait and the young girls need some training. Whilst we were waiting it got busy with a lot of the wedding guests arriving together, chaos ensued! No cleared tables for people to sit at, no glasses, and no juice, long wait times. When trained as a waitress years ago the golden rule was never to have empty hands! Is it so difficult to walk past a dirty table and pick up a few items as you go? Obviously so in this case.

Summing up, I had been looking forward to staying here for a long time but the experience was rather disappointing. I had expected the hotel to be much grander than it was but having said that you could see from looking at the original parts and the photos around the place that it was magnificent when built, but all the alterations and additions have spoilt much of the character. The room was nothing special, service the same, nice breakfast but in general overrated, rather overpriced for what we got. We found some lovely B&B’s whilst walking around so will give them a go next time, highly unlikely to stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank scareyCornwall
jasonparry55, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2012

Good afternoon and thank you for your review. As the new General Manager here, may I take this opportunity to sincerely apologise for the disappointment you have experienced during your stay. I can assure you that we have taken all of your comments on-board, I would very much like the opportunity to speak with you personally about this - please contact me on 01736 795221 at your earliest convenience

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Ives
The Gannet Inn
#2 of 4 in Carbis Bay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay

Been to St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!