“Very enjoyable stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Very enjoyable stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

We booked through groupon for a two night stay at the beginning of March. On booking I was not informed that work was ongoing at the hotel, but this in no way detracted from our stay.
I get the impression that a full upgrade from a faded, but grand hotel is taking place, and from what I saw a good job is being made. The only thing that I was not too keen on was the reception area. I wasn't sure at first if we had walked into the correct place, as it seemed to be more like someone's office than a reception. I wasn't keen that you had to stand and look down at the people at the desk. I prefer the standing face to face way. We got a lovely room overlooking the beach, with a balcony. The room was spacious, with a very comfortable bed, We had a meal one night, and although the menu was not as extensive as that show on the internet due to the work in the hotel, the food we got was very well cooked, and the waiting staff were very attentive. Breakfasts were a help yourself buffet style. The spa seemed to be very busy, and my massage was good.
The location is what makes this hotel, overlooking the town and bay, and just a short stroll into the centre of St Ives. I would have no hesitation in returning.

1 Thank Jennifer891
jasonparry55, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 7 April 2012
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, I really appreciate the feedback. I am sorry that you didn't like the layout of our Reception area and will certainly feedback your comments to our interior designers. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, a little disappointed that you were not made aware of the works that were going in the hotel at that time, but that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful. We do hope you will visit the hotel again t some point in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
Warwick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

We stayed for 4 nights on a half board basis. My husband booked it for our first year wedding anniversary and were very excited when were upgraded to a sea view room. When we got there we saw that there was an immense amount of work being carried out on the property. When we booked initially, we under the impression that it would not interfere with our stay. However, on a few occasions we were disturbed by workmen knocking on our door asking to have access to our balcony for work they were carrying out. It was fairly noisy with sound of drilling etc going on every day, not what we were expecting. On one day they were there for an hour. The rooms also need sound proofing, you can hear the footsteps of people walking up the stairs in the corridor from the bedrooms. The bed was also sinking/broken, however, this was immediately looked into and swapped upon informing reception the following day. The key would not open our room and again this was looked into promptly the staff.

On another note, despite all the issues, I have to give credit to the staff who are working extremely hard at this hotel. Had it not been for the great service we received, we would have left after the first night. The reception staff were helpful and dealt with any issues promptly. The staff really are trying.

David Pover (Manager in restaurant), well what can we say, exceptional customer service. We have rarely come accross such wonderful service and he is truly an asset to the business. Knowing that we were here for are anniversary, he went out of his way to ensure we had a great time and even got the chef to whip up a special desert for our evening. Thank you, David, and hopefully see you again in the near future. The food in the restaurant - absolutely amazing. We enjoyed the breakfast and evening dinner and so glad we booked the package for the 4 nights. Well done.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your valued feedback, I am so sorry for the amount of disruption you encountered, this is not acceptable and I can assure you these issues have been addressed internally. I am so pleased that you found the hotel staff to be friendly and helpful as this is certainly something that we are able to pride ourselves on and I will personally make sure that I pass on your comments to the team and to David in particular as without them all our guests would not have a positive experience in our hotel. I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the not too distant future.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

The rooms that are photographed on the hotel’s website are nothing like what we found on arrival. The room was old with tired fixtures, water marks on the wall paper and torn, faded curtains (see pictures attached). We booked a double room but were shown to a twin room. When we tried to change rooms we were told that the hotel was fully booked and that all that they could do was to zip the two mattresses together, which really is not the same.

We arrived on a Friday afternoon and went to the spa shortly afterwards to book some treatments for the weekend but were told that they were fully booked apart from one treatment slot at midday on Sunday.

The only redeeming feature was the food, which was consistently good throughout. Hats off to the chef.

The hotel has clearly redecorated central areas and some rooms with modern fixtures that it showcases on its website. However, to advertise (and charge for) one level of quality and then provide rooms so vastly inferior really questions the integrity of the business. More than disappointed, we were outraged by what seemed like calculated dishonesty and misrepresentation.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kevin C
Firstly thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on this site, we appreciate feedback from our guests and I am sorry that on this occasion we failed to meet your expectations. I would very much like to discuss these issues with you and ask that you contact me directly at jason.parry@harbourhotels.co.uk in order for me to be able to address these problems for you. I can assure you that it is never our intention to mislead our guests in anyway and I am so sorry that you felt that this was the case. I very much hope to hear from you in the not too distant future.
gloucestershire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights on bed and breakfast basis having got a good deal through Late Rooms. This meant the room would not be the best which indeed was the case here. The room itself was fine, fairly big, clean, excellent bathroom but no seaview unless i stood on a chair and stuck my head out of the window and looked to the left. That was the only reason I say it was not the best so moral here is get a room with a view as the views from that side of the hotel are great.

Hotel stands proudly overlooking Porthminster Beach and the sea beyond. A truly great setting and makes it worthwhile staying here for that alone.

First impressions are good with very modern and stylish reception with equally excellent reception staff and so cannot understand some earlier comments from previous reviewers. Reception was friendly, cheerful, helpful and overall very pleasant.

On arriving by car you simply park outside albeit on double yellow lines which is not a problem as in moments the porter is out to park your car for you. It is either parked in a small covered car park beneath a building opposite or in a small parking area down the bottom of a hill just near the Portminster Beach cafe. Not a problem to me as they will fetch your car whenever it is required and park it again for you free of charge.

I cannot comment on the dining as we ate out each evening but this is no means a reflection of the restaurant. We did have breakfast which was excellent and of course with fantastic views of sun rise over the ocean. Waiting staff at breakfast were very efficient but perhaps lacked a smile apart from one very pleasant cheery girl.

Lounge bar was very pleasant to have a drink although for me like all hotels there were was no real ales on draught meaning i tended to sample the local pubs but of course missed out on the lovely views.

Ok were they any problems which would be odd to find the perfect place so yes there were some minor niggles:

No WI FI as advertised in room although being on holiday is hardly a problem but for those on business it could be an issue.

Telephone in room did not work - again I have mobile so no problem.

Building work next door but then thats progress so cant be helped and of course only temporary

Overall a very good well managed hotel supported by what appeared from our experience very good professional staff.

I would stay there again but only if i have a seaview room.

My rating is very good as a place has to be perfect to be classed as excellent but it is not short of being excellent.

Room Tip: Seaview is a must
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
jasonparry55, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 April 2012
I wanted to drop you a short line to thank you for your feedback on your recent visit to the St. Ives Harbour Hotel. It is lovely to hear that you had a most enjoyable stay. The Wi-Fi will be available in the hotel bedroom very soon and currently it is available in all of our public areas and I am so sorry that the telephone in your bedroom did not work, I have asked our Maintenance Team to check all of the telephones as a precautionary exercise and I thank you for bringing this to my attention. Finally we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and spa again in the not too distant future.
Cheshire, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

Our first day was more stressful than it should have been as we had to raise a number of problems, although some of the explanations made us laugh. Freezing cold showers "The plumber didn't do a re-set." No wi-fi signal "They are moving all the wires around." Hot wine "It's come from the other bar." To be fair though, the staff were all lovely and did always deliver in the end.

As another reviewer said, this is work in progress. There is a lot of investment going into this hotel so it's a fair bet it's going to be really top notch. In the meantime, you are expected to put up with some hassle but still pay the usual rate.

So do I recommend? Funnily enough, yes. Overall it's a very nice hotel with an excellent spa, clean spacious rooms and a good restaurant. And best of all, the location is hard to beat with superb views of the bay and a short steep walk into the heart of St Ives. If you can see the funny side whilst making sure you are not being messed around too much then you'll enjoy it.

A couple of bits of information / tips. Firstly, if you arrive by car, park on the double yellow lines outside the front door so the car valet can park it for you. (I'm not sure how anyone in a wheelchair would manage.) Secondly, if you need the Internet, don't accept a room on the third floor as there is no signal.

It will be interesting to see what it's all like when the work is finished as it does look very promising and we would have no hesitation choosing to stay here again with the right deal.

Given the few issues we experienced, we would probably rate it 3or4* but it could well be 4or5* when all the work is completed and the staff can focus on delivering top quality service rather than fire-fighting the problems.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the glorious bay which is also away from road traffic
1 Thank phil100652
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the hotel here on this site. Having only recently taken over the hotel, I really appreciate all feedback as it extremely useful in developing the aspects of the service we offer to our guests. I am so sorry that there were a number of stressful issues and I can assure we are working hard to address these as quickly as possible, I have disused your comments regarding the excuses being given for certain things with the team as this is certainly not the image we want our guests to take away from the hotel. I am really pleased that on the whole you did enjoy your stay with us and do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the St. Ives Harbour Hotel again in the not too distant future.
Ambleside
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

We have just returned from a lovely stay,the staff across all departments very friendly and helpful. Our room was very spacious with a big bay window which overlooked Porthminster
Beach and across to St Ives harbour going to miss waking up to that view tomorrow! Good variety of choice at Breakfast and Dinner.
Yes there is refurbishment going on but as previous reviewer mentioned builders very respectful
of guests being around,enjoyed seeing the progress made each day.
Spa area very popular , advice booking before you arrive.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views
1 Thank AmblesideMillie49
jasonparry55, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 24 March 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback, it is extremely important to us and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay here at the St. Ives Harbour Hotel. Thankfully our fantastic views will be with us for many years to come and hopefully we will be able to welcome you back time and again.
bulgaria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

My friend and I stayed at this hotel last week, we had a fantastic time. Our room overlooking the bay was lovely, the staff were friendly and helpful. yes there was building work going on, but we found there was little disruption and the workmen were polite and always stopped what they were doing to open doors etc. The communal sitting areas are stunning. Slight disappointment was finding the beauty therapist was fully booked and had no slots available. Will definitely book these in advance next time.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank ruby96
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay, I know the team here will be motivated by your praise and I am so pleased that you had such a lovely stay with us. Our spa can at times get quite busy and therefore I would always recommend booking any desired treatments prior to arrival to avoid disappointment, I am so sorry if this was not recommended upon booking. I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel again very soon.