“Off to a bad start but in the end an enjoyable relaxing week”

St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
London, United Kingdom
“Off to a bad start but in the end an enjoyable relaxing week”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We booked a weekend at the St Ives Harbour Hotel through Living Social which we thought was a great deal. 2 nights bed and breakfast with dinner and a spa treatment. The weekend got off to a bad start but in the end was such an enjoyable time.

So first the bad bits.We arrived at a busy time and when I walked into the reception no one greeted me and one of the staff was tapping away on the computer and didn't acknowledge me. I had to ask if this was the reception only to be told the receptionist would be along in a bit. She was lovely but was obviously rushed off her feet. A supporting member of staff would be a recommendation. Our room was very modern looking but the fixtures and fittings were not practical for a hotel and we had no hot water and no phone so I had to go to reception in my wet swimming clothes to ask for help. Assistance came after a second request and then the bath wouldn't fill. We were moved rooms and the issue resolved.

So onto the good bits. The location is fantastic and the building works didn't affect us. The dinner staff are amazing and the food was delicious. The breakfast was hearty and fresh and of a really high standard and the view from the dining room is breathtaking. You could sit there all night looking at the bay! The bar is well stocked with lovely wines and the bar manager has obviously brought some quality beverages to the hotel. The spa is relaxing and although we didn't quite get the spa treatment we were expecting it was enjoyable.

I was told they are having a second designer in to finish the rooms to acceptable standards. Once this has been done this is a lovely hotel and worth a visit. Thanks to all the staff.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank wilkia
jasonparry55, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 19 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We really do appreciate our guests’ feedback to help us maintain and improve our standards of service. I am sorry your break got off to a bad start. We do endeavour at all times to provide a welcoming relaxing customer journey for all our guests and regret that, on this occasion, our welcome was not up to expectations. I am pleased your issues were resolved in a satisfactory manner. I do hope you will afford us the opportunity, by returning to visit us, to demonstrate how your comments have been taken on board.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
birmingham
Reviewed 22 April 2012

we attended for a wedding which the hotel managed very well. The staff were friendly and attentive, there is a fundamental lack of car parking although you dont need to get round by car once it has been parked. we paid £211 a night for a coupes room which is very over priced for the room and hotel which is at best basic, i would look round next time and find a beter hotel at a cheaper price. Food very good but not a lot of it, i ate and was still hungry

Room Tip: you can find better cheaper
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
jasonparry55, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Further to your review here, I thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am so pleased that you enjoyed the wedding. I am sorry that you felt that the hotel needed a "spruce up", we have been undergoing some considerable redecoration and refurbishment work at the hotel over the last couple of years which has meant that all of the public areas and some bedrooms have been completed. Further works will continue to improve the rest of the bedroom stock at the hotel during the rest of this year; these works will not have any impact on our guests and will help to complete a beautiful hotel to complement our fantastic position in. Should you be visiting St. Ives again in the not too distant future please do contact us directly in order to make sure you get our very best available price.
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Just got back this afternoon from The St Ives Harbour Hotel and myself and my husband really enjoyed our stay here.

The hotel is in the process of being refurbished and there are small problems which need to be sorted such as, they should tell you when booking that you need to pull up on the pavement outside the hotel and the porter will park it for you, we had to drive around twice and then had the phone the hotel to find out where to go.

The carpet up the stairs looks tired, and the pool area is beautiful until you look up at the ceiling the paint is flaking off which is a real shame.

I had paid a extra for a sea view room, when we got the room we did have that but I thought we would have a balcony, (which to be fair was my fault because I assumed it would have one) . when I spoke to the deputy manager he was fantastic and apologised for me feeling disappointed and said he would not charge us for the upgrade. He was really lovely and sorted out the problem very well and quickly.

The room was lovely esp the bathroom, the food and wine in the restaurant was very good, the staff were friendly and service good. We had breakfast in bed the second morning which was also lovely.

The situation of the hotel is perfect as it has great views and its in easy walking distance to the town centre.

This place really will be a 5 star rating once its sorted out its little problems, but on the whole a really enjoyable stay and we would come back again.

Room Tip: Room 305 was really lovely, it has lovely views but no balcony.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Amanda Q
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the hotel here on this site. Having only recently taken over the hotel, I really appreciate all feedback as it extremely useful in developing the aspects of the service we offer to our guests. I am sorry that there were a few niggly issues and I can assure we are working hard to address these as quickly as possible and do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the St. Ives Harbour Hotel again in the not too distant future.
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Last minute break as we had to visit st Ives for family reasons. This is definitely work in progress and some improvement is already evident. In common with some others didn't like reception which affected first impression although staff and in particular the porter was very helpful (interestingly it appeared we were going to be shown to our room but when we said we would take stairs rather than wait for lift we were given our key and told where the room was). Our room was quite small with interesting step up into small bathroom unfortunately not overlooking sea, 212 is right on road junction and needed to have blind down if privacy was required. Food was generally good and waiting staff friendly however breakfast service appeared to lack system which resulted in cooked breakfast arriving 45 mins after we sat down - although view is breathtaking. Spa was well fitted although ceiling in swimming pool needs repainting. Surrounds kept very clean and staff attentive but be warned if you go through fire door onto terrace you may have to press nose against window to get someone to let you in

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Tintintin1
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the hotel here on this site. Having only recently taken over the hotel, I really appreciate all feedback as it extremely useful in developing the aspects of the service we offer to our guests. I am so sorry that there were a number of issues and lack of basic customer care and I can assure we are working hard to address these as quickly as possible, I have used your comments regarding the these types of issues with the team as this is certainly not the image we want our guests to take away from the hotel. I am really pleased that on the whole you did enjoy your stay with us and do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the St. Ives Harbour Hotel again in the not too distant future.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We stayed here the Friday and Saturday nights of Easter Weekend. The only rooms available were the inner rooms, and true to many people's suggestions, if you're going to stay here, you should consider upping to a sea view room. However, in my opinion, a sea view room wouldn't make up for what the hotel lacks. Here are the good and bad points we noticed (my opinion is based on the hotel advertising itself as a luxury accommodation):

Good points:
1. Use of the spa facilities (nice pool, indoor hot tub, steam room, sauna -- gym faces out towards the sea) [though I will note that the ceiling of the pool area is mildewing, and needs a lot of work]
2. Beautiful lounge area with very nice fireplaces
3. Valet car parking that's complimentary
4. Within walking distance to St. Ives City Centre

Bad points:
1. Lack of spa amenities (no robes provided; water is only via a cooler in small plastic cups)
2. Poor spa services (probably the worst massage for money I've had in my life)
3. No wi-fi in room, even though wi-fi is advertised as being available through the hotel
4. Pricey bar drinks (£6.50+ for a 250ml glass of wine)
5. Poor breakfast service (the food was average, at best; did not arrive as ordered; meal came out long before coffee; no juice glasses for the continental breakfast)
6. Construction at the property in front of the hotel woke us up at 06:00! (Though this might be beyond the hotel's control, it would be nice to alert your guests to it before they book!)
7. Reception/concierge that could not provide directions to popular spots within St. Ives
8. Dated carpeting in a majority of the hotel

All-in-all, I think you can do better in St. Ives for £135/night.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vandyalum
jasonparry55, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on this site, we really appreciate all feedback from our guests. Whilst I am pleased to read the good points here, it very much saddens me to read of your disappointment with certain areas of our hotel, I can assure you these issues have all been addressed internally and I do hope that you will visit us again one day.
Barnstaple
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We were not told that work was being carried out on the hotel on booking.
We arrived outside with nowhere to stop , builders lorries everwhere and reception in chaos with newly delivered boxes piled up and a builder hammering so we could not hear any converation.
We had in fact stopped further up the road and tried to ring reception but could not get a reply .
it took my husband 20 minutes to park , no room in the garage opposite and ,a hundred yards away down a steep slope ,luckily it was not raining.
The noise from the building site next door comtinued all day until 6.30.p.m.so impossible to get any rest by day .
Our room had comfortable beds but the ironing board cover had a huge hole in it.
There was a jacuzzi bath but no shower , which we prefer ,.
It was difficult to get in and out of the bath with no grab rails and as my husband has recently had heart surgery it was difficult for him to get out of it .
The staff were all friendly and helpful despite all the disruption and the food was good.
We booked a champagne break with chocolates too but when the " champagne " arrived it was Rose sparkling wine and the chocolates never arrived.
It was a Wedding Anniversary break and my husband had tried to ring the hotel the week before our stay to order flowers but he got no reply ,so was not able to order them.

Room Tip: Top floor has best views.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Firstly thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on this site; we really appreciate all feedback from our guests. I am so sorry for the amount of disappointment you encountered during your stay, especially as this was a special occasion - this is not acceptable and I can assure you these issues have been addressed internally. As the new General Manager here at the hotel, I would very much like the opportunity to apologise to you personally, please do call me or email on jason.parry@harbourhotels.co.uk.
UK
Reviewed 8 April 2012

The St. Ives Harbour Hotel (The Porthminster) provided a unique and unusual experience.

The hotel is clearly undergoing a transformation and is therefore a bit of a mixed bag overall.

My room was "refurbished" and in fairness was modern and well furnished, however the excessive mold in the bathroom and on the windows was unacceptable, along with the shower not functioning during my stay. The bathroom mold appears to be caused by the position of the bath/shower just under the eaves, causing the moisture to be trapped.....the other problem in the particular room I had was having to crouch in the shower to avoid hitting my head on the eaves!

The food overall was very good with a wide choice, and well presented on the whole. The service however ranged from excellent and courteous in some cases to slow and disinterested (bordering rude) at other times.

On one afternoon there was tea and crumpets served in the downstairs lounge/bar area which was unfortunately understaffed and suffering from a severe shortage of crockery resulting in long waits for the tea/crumpets to be available.

The manager, Phillip, was friendly and approachable, as were the majority of FOH staff.

When leaving the hotel I was unsure of my thoughts on the Fawlty Towers experience, but I think overall it was enjoyable and most certainly a unique stay.

My advice to other travellers would be to wait until they have sold most of the apartments being built on the hotel grounds and have the available cash to plough into finishing the hotel refurbishments.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank johnny_c-l
Firstly thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on this site, we appreciate feedback from our guests and I am pleased to read that overall it was an enjoyable stay. I know that you visited us back on December, so would like to introduce myself - I am the new General Manager here at the hotel and can assure you that the full refurbishments will be finished to a very high standard, with our luxury new spa, restaurant, bar and lounges already complete we are very much working towards a fully refurbished hotel. I hope that you will visit us again in the not too distant future. Any additional questions or feedback, please do contact me at Jason.parry@harbourhotels.co.uk