“Excellent food & service”

St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Reviewed 21 July 2012

Really well appointed public areas and amenities. We ate in the restaurant in the evening and the quality of the food was a really pleasant surprise. Restaurant and bar has wonerful sea views. Staff were in the most part helpful and attentive only let down by a reception team that was frosty at times.
Only other downside was our room - 201. Whilst newly refurbished there were stains on the ceiling and also peeling paper, maybe caused by a leak from the room above? Also the room was quite small so why squeeze a super king size be in the space when a king size would have been sufficient? Finally as the room was at the front of the hotel it was really noisy especially first thing in the morning. However as we spent a minimal amount of time in the rooms these were minor negatives in another wise great stay.

Room Tip: 201 - quite small and really noisy. No sea view just the car park and flats opposite the hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
jasonparry55, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel here on this site, we really appreciate the feedback. I know that the team will be motivated by your praise and I taken on board your comments regarding the bedroom and our Maintenance Team will be carrying out some updating very soon. I am so sorry that our Reception Team may have come across as frosty; this is certainly not the image we want to portray to our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,534)

Reviewed 18 July 2012

Had 2 great nights here, the room was very nice with fab sea views. The restaurant also had the same fab sea views and the food was superb. Can't wait to stay here again

Stayed: July 2012

Thank you so much for your kind words, we are so pleased you enjoyed yoru stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 14 July 2012

We got married here on the 9th June and it was a beautiful day. The staff worked so hard to make our day run smoothly. A lot of our guests have said it was the best wedding they had ever been to (other than their own!). The food was amazing!
My only negative comment is in relation to the accomodation. I/we stayed in one of the suites. The night before the wedding, once I had finished 'faffing' I decided to have a bath in the hydrobath, however the bubbles did not work. I then thought I would try and settle my nerves and drop off to sleep by watching some TV, however the TV did not work. There was no power to the electrical sockets and as it was 02:30 I thought it unlikely to be fixed. I mentioned to recdeption the following morning and all was fixed.
The wedding went well and my husband and I retired to our room and decided to try the hydromassage bath. As soon as we switched it on, the power tripped. We reported this and it was fixed, but the same happened and we had no power again,
This is a beautiful hotel in a stunning location and the issues with the room would not stop us returning....but would like reassurances this is resolved.....

Room Tip: Definately get a sea view
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank midwifeclaire

Thank you, firstly, for choosing the St. Ives Harbour Hotel for your special day and I am so happy that you enjoyed the day. I apologise for the issues in your bedroom and can assure you that our maintenance team have investigated the issue and all has been resolved. I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 14 July 2012

We recently spent a spa weekend break at the harbour view and quite honestly we had an absolutely fantastic time. The staff are all very friendly and more than helpful. The hotel is spotlessly clean and modern. The facilities are wonderful and the spa and treatments are to die for. Thankyou all so very much and hope to see you all again in the not to distant future
jane and gary douglas - st austell

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We stayed at the hotel over the past few days, in room 201. There are a few good and a few bad points:

The good:

Julie, who worked behind the bar, was one of the nicest and friendliest members of staff we had every met at any establishment!

The Spa was lovely. I only had a chance to see it once, on the final day before leaving, and I regret not going over there earlier and enjoying it to the full. (I especially enjoyed the swimming costume drying machine in the changing rooms...)

The restaurant and bar area were very nicely furnished, and we had a lovely time there. The service in the restaurant was also good although there was an apparent shortage of pudding menus.

A very filling and satisfying breakfast. I’m still full sitting here typing this now past 10pm...
The valet service for parking cars was very helpful, considering that St Ives in chock-a-block at this time of the year.

The view, and of course, Porth Ia itself, what a wonderful town...

The not as good:

The quality of the furnishings in the room was high, and the bathroom was excellent. However the room itself was small, the wallpaper torn, the ceiling badly stained, and the doors rather closet like and unattractive. It seemed as if brand new furnishings and a state of the art bathroom had been squeezed into an old, single bed B&B room. The contrast with the communal areas of the hotel was noticeable and unfortunate – surely its more important that your room, where you spend most of your time in the hotel, is nicely decorated?

The staff on arrival were rather cold and seemed flustered. They told us our bags would be taken up to our room, but they didn’t arrive. We waited in the room for an hour and a half before I went back down to ask again. By then a much nicer and friendlier member of staff was manning the front desk, who got our bags delivered to us pretty much instantaneoulsy.
The drinks in the bar and restaurant seemed mightily expensive, but hey ho, that’s par for the course I suppose.

The food in the restaurant was of a very high quality but the portions were very small. I know the saying is ‘quality not quantity’, but you also need a bit of quantity to stop your tummy rumbling. If the restaurant was outside the hotel I would have stopped for a chippy on the way home, alas this was not possible on the way from the restaurant to my room.

4  Thank MacsenBo

Thank you for your balanced review, we really appreciate the feedback and I know that the team here love it when they get a mention. I fully take on board all of your comments and where possible will address them as a matter of urgency. I do hope that none of these issues will deter you from visiting the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 12 July 2012

We stayed in St Ives for three nights recently and our stay was amazing! Their rooms in the hotel are modern, clean and quirky in their layout - and unfortunately the first one we were allocated was unsuitable due to the bathroom layout and me expecting a baby. They happily changed our room and gave us a much larger room for the night. Due to problems with their computer system they were unable to give us this room for the three nights so they moved us to their apartments.

We were so impressed - not only with the fantastic apartments, but with the views from the hotel, the attitude of the staff, the food in the restaurant... everything was perfect. If you are thinking of staying, make sure you book your dinner there as well because it's well worth it!!! And the harbour spa facilities are beautiful - clean, lovely temperature, spacious and quiet so you can happily relax on loungers by the pool after a nice swim.

We are especially thankful to Maggie on reception who helped sort our room issues out and bent over backwards to help us. The only draw back of the hotel I would say is the parking - it's very tight and we couldn't even open the boot properly when parked up. But they are so helpful and will park your car for you if you aren't confident doing it yourself.

We are already planning our next visit, and if we could afford it, we'd be buying one of the apartments - they are beautiful and the location is amazing. It's a five minute walk into the main town with the harbour etc - which is also really nice to visit.

Thank you to the staff and the hotel for making our stay so wonderful! See you again soon!!!

Room Tip: I don't think you can go too far wrong - all the rooms we saw were clean, nicely decorated and m...
1  Thank Angela O

Thank you for taking the time review the hotel here, I am so pleased the team were freindly and helpful. I know that the team here will be motivated by your praise. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 10 July 2012

My partner and I stayed for 3 nights DB&B on a bargain break and had a lovely stay. The views from the hotel are lovely overlooking St Ives Harbour and you can walk down to the town in 10 minutes. The staff are very friendly and the hotel has just undergone a refurbishment which has modernised it. It has a lovely terrace, spa and restaurant and the food was a good standard. Our bedroom was a standard room with the usual facilities. The downside of the hotel is that it has no car park but they have a driver who will take and fetch your car from a pound they rent further up the road - a bit inconvenient but as we were only there for a few days we didn't use the car much. The train is a cheap option to get about and walking is even cheaper. I have also stayed at one of their other hotels Salcombe (which is currently closed for refurbishment) and I would certainly stay at Harbour Hotels again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bartonbelle

Thank you so much for your kind words, we are in a beautiful part of the world and there is certainly so much to see and do in St. Ives that using the car is not always necessary. Parking can be difficult at time but we will always do everything we can to make it as easy as possible for our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Ives
Boskerris Hotel
Boskerris Hotel
#1 of 4 in Carbis Bay
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay

Been to St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!