“Fantastic Venue to have your Wedding!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa

St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Redruth, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Venue to have your Wedding!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

We had our wedding here on the 12th April and this hotel certainly lived up to all the awards they’ve received, it’s amazing!

Rebecca, Elle & Serene are the most loveliest wedding coordinators, they work with you to create the wedding you have dreamt of no matter what you ask for! Every single guest commented on how great the food was, it looked good and tasted even better, served quickly and with great care, this was all topped by the relaxed friendliness from the very professional and attentive staff which helped make everybody feel comfortable, all set to the stunning backdrop of views from the room. Everything ran like clockwork, every member of staff new exactly what was expected and Helen who is in charge of the events team was great at ensuring all this happened – she is super!

All the rooms that have been renovated at the hotel have been done beautifully and not to mention the outside terraced areas… gorgeous!

Unfortunately we didn’t have chance to use the spa over the 2 nights we were there due to our busy schedule, some of our guests did and have said how fantastic it was, we are really looking forward to returning for our 1st anniversary to make full use of everything on offer.

The parking is stress free – you pull up outside – unload – porter comes and takes your keys to park your car and leaves you to check in. (Just ask at reception as and when if you need your car or access to it)

We had breakfast in our room on the morning of the wedding. The night before me and my mum picked exactly what we wanted from a huge list and chose the time we wanted it (early) - I hung the list outside our door and it arrived on time the following morning. The Morning after the wedding we chose to eat in the dining area to say hello to guests from our wedding – My husband asked for something that wasn’t on the menu and it wasn’t an issue at all they just made an note and it came out with mine. The breakfasts we ate here were of a high quality and presented well – just as you would expect. The continental breakfast had lots of choice too and the staff where welcoming with smiles.

If you are planning your wedding here you really will have an amazing time and if you’re thinking of booking it DO IT! It was one of the best days of my life.

Sydney & Curtis

Room Tip: Sea View Rooms
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Peter H, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 26 April 2013
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. I am so pleased to hear you had a wonderful wedding and stay here. Big Congratulations to you on your wedding day also.
I will make sure the events team and Helen read your review they will also be happy to hear you had a fantastic day.
We look forward to seeing you again for your anniversary.
Kind Regards
Peter Holgate

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
Cheshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

My wife and I spent a wonderful 4 day break at this Spa Hotel in February,having been to this Hotel twice before it became a Spa Hotel.I have to say the Staff at this Hotel were all very helpful and polite and couldn't do enough for you.The restaurant food was 1st Class with not 1 fault with the food,and the staff were extremely attentive.My wife and I would fully recommend a stay at this Hotel with its marvelous Sea Views from your Bedroom Window.St Ives as a whole is very picturesque,and you have lovely beach walks.Fantastic Place to go for a break.

Room Tip: Sea View Room
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Peter H, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Thank you For your lovely review on Trip Advisor.
I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay here with us. I will forward your praise onto the team here, who will be motivated by your review.
St Ives, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2013 via mobile

I'm local to st.ives and got treated to a spa day with a few friends for my 21st. Was lovely! And what a bargain!! £15 for all day there... And having lunch upstairs 2 amazing courses (spoilt for choice!) for only £12 and a free glass of wine when you quote I think it was spring falls?? Was on their website. Overall fantastic day, highly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank hannahlb492
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor and for rating us 5 Stars. Happy 21st Birthday! I am pleased to hear you had a great day and birthday.
I hope you will visit us again soon.
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013

this hotel has the makings of something special, however it is let down by most (not all) of the staff having zero customer service skills. I have just returned from a short break there with girlfriends where we were looking for a nice spa break altogether, it was to be a memorable holiday as of the party is very poorly. The hotels cavalier attitude, inability to follow through on pre-booked requirements was disappointing at best. after serious negotiation with the duty manager we did get our room changed to a superior apartment, which was lovely, but most other areas did not live up to expectation. Even treatments in the spa required a refund, very poor indeed. I think the reception staff should all be re-trained in basic good manners although Mark was most helpful and stood out from his peers.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to the peninsular apartments if you are not happy
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Samantha L
Ashford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

My wife treated me (us!) to a surprise weekend away at this hotel and upon arrival we were pleasantly surprised by the lovely reception rooms. The bar area has a terrific deck/terrace with sweeping views of the bay and is all about lots of glass, steel and nice outdoor furniture! We had hoped this was a sign of things to come but I can only assume that our room had not yet been touched by the refurbishment programme. We had a Superior Sea View room with a balcony and the most stunning view! But the room had a distinctive 1970's feel to it! The hair dryer (if you could call it that!), the trouser press/ironing board and iron were all attached to the wall rather than free standing and out of sight, giving the room a bit of a tacky feel about it. The furniture had seen better days and the bathroom similarly so, although it was all clean and the bed was fabulously comfortable. However, given the tariff, we felt that the bathroom products could have been superior and a couple of robes would have been nice!
We didn't eat dinner at the hotel but breakfast good and we did sample a couple of treatments in the Spa. They were lovely treatments and the Spa does appear to be an asset to the hotel.
The hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful.
Good luck with the continuing refurbishment!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank colin_reeves
Peter H, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Thank you for writting your recent review and for your kind words. We are still undergoing the refurbishment programme and some rooms are still waiting to be done. We will take your comments on board and hope to see you again.

Peter Holgate.
Monmouth, South wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

Just had a weekend stay hear with friends for my 34th bday and I am a little confused as to where to rate this, it really should be between 3 and 4. The hotel is clean and most of the rooms seem to have been renovated, Clearly money has been spent on the function rooms and terrace and spa. although slightly annoyingly the Jacuzzi was out of order on the last day. any cleaning or maintenance should be done through the night in my opinion. I am going to be a little particular hear because the hotel is obviously trying hard to be more than it is currently. For example small folded hand towels in the toilets in the hotel, something you get in a 5 star in Dubai, great but then let themselves down in other areas like having a poor breakfast.

Although I had a great weekend and I am glad we chose to stay hear due mainly to its stunning views and location I was a little disappointed at two main things, the breakfast - only till 10am always annoys me ! why not till 11am makes all the difference on a Sunday morning. Its not buffet, so ok thats fine but not when it takes 30 minutes to arrive ! and then for £18 you get one sausage, slightly warm beans and one piece of bacon !!! not good not good at all.

The second thing was the fact that although the hotel was full and had weddings on each day, this did not affect us in anyway, but having gone for a meal in st ives and a few drinks we though we would finish the night with a drink in the bar. It was 2am and the bar was shut, ok so we went back to the room and thought we would order drinks through room service, only to be told by the person answering that the service was not available !! I really dont get that at all. I was willing to pay extra for room service if you have someone answering why not ensure your guests are happy ? saying no to a paying guest is what sets some hotels apart. Friends stayed at a hotel further up the road had no problem with this and evan had sandwiches made.

To sum things up it could be a great hotel but due to the problems we found above it ended up just a good 3 star. I would like to stay again if the breakfast was improved and the policy of saying 'No sorry this service is closed' was looked at ! However the staff were very friendly .

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for writting your recent review on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay over all but disapointed to hear we did not meet all of your expectations. Your feedback is valued and I hope you will visit us again in the future.
Peter Holgate.
cornwall UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2013

Ok, I'll start with the bad..... (but there is some good so keep reading!)
Group of 6 of us (ages 27-55) all opted for a packed deal, £59pp for lunch, a 25min treatment and use of spa. Not a great start, I'd pre booked me and my mum in for a massage at 11am but they'd moved my mums treatment to an hour after mine, Mean while my friend Kayley (who'd booked days after me for the same time) still had her 11am treatment. Not ideal as the whole point of the day was to spend my time with mum as I don't see her often and this was her mothers day treat. The 'Relaxation Room' wasn't very warm and had no music (even though there were speakers in the room) so we spent as little time in there as possible, However it did offer tea/herbal sachets and teacups... however there was no hot water/kettle in the room, so you had to ask at reception for someone to get you some, Kind of made a joke of 'help yourself to tea/coffee'...! Also there's no tea/coffee allowed to be taken through to the pool side, bit annoying as if you wanted a hot drink you had to sit in the cold 'Relaxation Room'.... Also Spa staff wash the teacups out in the hand sink in the ladies toilet.... This was noticed twice throughout our day by different people in our group, so its obviously a regular thing.
As we left the spa the lady on reception didnt even look up, no 'thank you, hope you enjoyed your day' and no feedback forms, not good because if there had of been I'd have let them know this directly without putting this on here!

Massage was very good and worth the price, however in the brochure they state they ' can adapt our other treatments in order to make them safe for mother and baby' . My pregnant friend rang up and asked what treatments she was allowed and was only offered, manicure/pedicure and facial.... not great as she'd have loved a massage and had had one only weeks before at St.Michael's Hotel in Falmouth, no problems. No great to offer something and then not actually deliver.

The pool area was really nice and warm, but the Hydrotherapy pool as broken and not in use, we even managed to lock ourselves out on the balcony as you could only open the door from the inside! However a lady from reception armed with her screwdriver came along and fixed this once we let her know!

The food was great and really generous portions, we weren't rushed and felt like this was the best bit of the day, plus we asked for a window table and had an AMAZING VIEW of St.Ives Bay!
BUT Mums soup came out cold and had a short/curly hair in it (hopefully a beard hair as we dont want to imagine anything worse!).... The waiter replaced the soup and apologised and nothing more was said.

A Massive faff at the end when we tried to pay, there is no communication between reception, the restaurant and Spa, in fact we could have easily walked out without paying. We'd got to the reception only to be told we had to return to the spa and pay there, plus pay seperately for any additional extras with lunch at the Restaurant....

So I think we'll stick to St.Michaels Hotel in Falmouth, the Spa here is much friendlier and better prepared. Its a shame as my mum and friends all live in St.Ives so would have been nice to find somewhere which lives up the the expectation of a 'Luxury Spa'..... As we all get together and do this type of thing regularly, sometimes up to 10 of us at a time! Maybe if we'd been better looked after we'd have returned.

1 Thank bexywilliams
Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review on Trip Advisor. We have recently tried to contact you regarding your review just to talk through the issues further. If you would kindly contact our Spa Head Therapist that would be great.