“Perfect Wedding Venue in Cornwall”

St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Reviewed 6 June 2013

We married here 14th April 2013. It was amazing. The hotel exceeded our expectations and the staff couldn't do enough for us or our guests. The food was excellent. The views were outstanding. Fantastic Customer Service. We thoroughly recommend to everyone !

Room Tip: Some rooms are still awaiting refurbishment - our guests were moved to a new room if they were unhap...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Peter H, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your special day so much. On behalf of the harbour hotel group may we wish you a happy, healthy and wonderful future. Hope to see you back at the Hotel soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,534)

Reviewed 6 June 2013

We are just back from a week at the St Ives Harbour Hotel , we usually rent cottages / apartments but it made a lovely change to be looked after for a week .
This is a really nice hotel , beautifully decorated and furnished with an excellent blend of traditional and contemporary , top class .
Location is wonderful and the views of Porthminster beach and St Ives harbour are idyllic . Nice stroll into St Ives centre , where there are many super restaurants . We had a fantastic week , cant recommend the hotel highly enough , staff very helpful . Many thanks - breakfasts superb ! Spa fantastic

Room Tip: Go for a sea view
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is great for the team to read such positive comments.
I sincerely hope to see you back at the Hotel again soon.

Reviewed 1 June 2013

Enjoyed a one night stay. The location is superb, just up the hill from the train station overlooking Porthminster beach.The outside terraces which accompany the bar and spa provide a wonderful place to relax and enjoy the wonderful view. The reception staff were slightly aloof and not particularly helpful, however, this was our only quibble and was only highlighted due to how helpful and efficient the staff were in all other areas of the hotel and spa.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Peter H, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2013

Thank you for writing your review. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had a chance to relax in our spa.
We hope you will come again soon.

Reviewed 31 May 2013

If you are a foodie, the restaurant at Porthminster is the place to eat. Fine dining at its best. Service is a priority there. One of the best restaurants in Cornwall for us. Will go there whenever visiting Cornwall, best memorable time was on Valentines day. Serving real canapes on arrival and free bubbly was to my delight. Been there twice and will visit again.

Room Tip: Choose a celebration
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor.
I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit to our restaurant and that you will be returning in the future. Your review will be passed on to the team here and we looking forward to having you back.

Reviewed 30 May 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in May 2013. The room had just been renovated and was in excellent condition. The hotel rooms are immaculate. The public rooms are well appointed, some look a little tired others appear recently renovated. I would assume the hotel is having a total makeover and it should be great when complete.

Our room was very small and the bed and furniture basically took up all the space. The decor was light and vibrant and the furnishings gave that luxury feel and made you feel that you were cocooned in luxury. This was definitely well executed. The bathroom was obviously brand new but I would have to say the designer has a bit to answer for. There were no towel rails or towel hooks in the bathroom or the room and there was literally no were to hang the towel, the bathroom was so small that you could not even leave the towel on the floor without standing on it. The shower cubicle was ridiculously small that I had trouble raising my arms to wash my hair without rubbing against the shower frame. The shower tap stuck out so far that it took up considerable space in the already excessively small shower recess. The designer gets a big zero on this and unfortunately this made an otherwise pleasant room not so pleasant.

The hotel dinning area, breakfast and dinner were superb and the restaurant staff were brilliant. Helen the Maitre D was sensational, nothing was a problem, she was very accommodating, friendly and put simply a very pleasant warm person. We found the both the food quality and service so good that we ate there each night. The head waiter also showed excellent service. Breakfast was very good as well though the portion sizes on the menu items were on the small side.

The concierge / porter were very friendly and helpful. The front desk staff on arrival were very friendly however one of the front desk staff on the last two days had a bit of attitude and I got the impression that she thought we were an inconvenience. I will not hold this against the hotel but it was a little disappointing, especially when the concierge was very accommodating and at the same time she was contradicting and not interested in our concerns. It was obvious the concierge was covering for her inadequacies.

The hotel is undergoing renovations, it will be very good when finished. The hotel has an excellent view from the public rooms and our room had a partial angled ocean view which was pleasant. Our room was adequate for our stay but if I was staying for a week I think the small room and small bathroom would get the better of me. The hotel has larger rooms and an extended stay would require a larger room with a larger bathroom.

A big plus is the availability of car parking. The hotel is located on the top of the hill at St Ives overlooking the beach above the rail station. The location is ok and it is about a 8 to 10 minute walk to the downtown area. I actually liked the position and my wife and I are avid walkers so the panoramic view far out weighed the short walk to the quay and shopping areas.

The hotel has a very stylish indoor swimming pool and associated sitting area. The poolside lounges are very comfortable and the pool area has a very tranquil aura about it.

I am looking forward to returning to St Ives and would consider this hotel again. The only difference would be i would like to see the room before checking in and would ask or book a larger room category.

1  Thank amsam
Peter H, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. I am please to read all your lovely comments and will forward your review onto Helen and the team here. I will take all of your comments on board and hope you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

We stayed for a week in November 2012 as a birthday celebration and thoroughly enjoyed it. We were in room 104, which is a good-sized room with beautiful views over Porthminster Bay. The room is a bit tired as it hasn't been refurbished but the views and the sound of the waves more than compensate. Our only criticism was the cold bathroom with a large sash window where all the heat escaped. A pity because the large walk-in shower was really good.
The kitchen floor was being replaced whilst we were there and consequently the dining room had been moved downstairs to the function room where the chefs worked out of a tiny kitchen. They did amazingly well in the circumstances and we had some very nice meals with fresh fish daily. The service in the restaurant was generally good but occasionally patchy.
The Spa is a relaxing environment although the pool is rather compact. It was lovely to be able to swim each morning before a hearty breakfast.
The staff were very friendly overall and the hotel has a welcoming, relaxed atmosphere.
We travelled by train and the hotel is just a short (steep) walk up the path from the station.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are highly recommended
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor.
I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us. As you may have read in previous responses we have been undergoing a refurbishment and all of the rooms and bathrooms have been or are being updated.
We hope you will visit us again in the future to see the improvements that have been maid.

Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

On writing this we are still staying in the hotel .we check out tomorrow tue 28th may 2013. I broke my foot down on the rocks on the beach (being action man),on the second day of a four day stay. The staff couldn't do enough. Genuinely nice people that really do care about their jobs. Nothing is too much and you can see it is a vocation and not a job with all members of the harbour hotel staff. Good chat with Alan who is a Liverpool lad like me. He looked after us a few days. Reception staff were brilliant and genuinely caring . Valets and waiting on staff couldn't do enough. Fantastic views from a lovely room. I found absolutely nothing to complain about. If you have a problem I am sure nothing would be too much for these people. A retesting change from meeting staff that do what they have to and just follow a script . Would recommend it to anyone . We will be returning in the future of that there is no doubt. I have read the few bad reviews that have been posted and I really cannot believe these people were talking about this hotel ??
Best advice see for yourself . My wife and me are seasoned travellers having travelled extensively so we speak from experience when we say the harbour is lovely . Try it for yourself you definately won't be disappointed .

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank WillMerseyside
Peter H, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2013

Wow thank you every so much for your really lovely review on Trip Advisor. I am sorry to hear about your foot and hope that it heals quickly. It is such a pleasure to read reviews like yours and the staff will be so motivated by this. I will make sure your review is forwarded on to the whole team here.
Hope you have a safe trip home and that we see you again in the future, but perhaps with a little less action man stunts?

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Ives
Boskerris Hotel
Boskerris Hotel
#1 of 4 in Carbis Bay
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay

Been to St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!