“Awesome views of the sea when dining”

St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Very elegant hotel. Views from the restaurant, bar and the spa are wonderful. Food was great And staff were very attentive. The decor of the hotel is very elegant. Used the spa and husband had a fantastic head, shoulder and back massage that he described as " brutal.. But fantastic" . The spa has a nice size pool. Steam room wasn't too great as you sit and look at the wall and where the steam comes out, but hey ho. Great views from the spa. Lounge area was very relaxing. Our only two criticisms are that the bed was so small , we couldn't sleep. It was a double bed and just too small, and that the shower over the bath was only ok if you were under 5 ft 5... Which we are not.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank anisutton
Peter H, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review about the Hotel, all it's staff and facilities. I am delighted you enjoyed your experience with us. The bed sizes do vary dependant on room category with many rooms offering king and queen size beds. Please contact me directly for any future visits you are planning and I will ensure you are allocated a room with a larger bed. All the very best. Peter

Reviewed 16 February 2014

St Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa by far, sits in one of the best locations in St Ives, and also offers exceptional customer service, luxury accommodation and a gourmet restaurant for the traveler who is used to a certain 'level of comfort'.

We stayed at the hotel last weekend for my birthday, and although the weather was a little unpredictable, we were more than happy spending majority of our time at the hotel, enjoying the day spa, our luxury room and the gourmet restaurant with outstanding 180 degree views over St Ives.

We stayed in an ocean view room, and were extremely happy with the fittings and fixtures of the room. Our hotel room was a dream for all women who dread having to wash their hair at hotels due to the poor hair dryers or conditioner who leaves your hair in a tangle...this hotel offers superior toiletries and facilities to ensure a level of comfort is achieved.

I also tried out the day spa, I had a 30 minute express facial and 30 minute massage...although quite short treatments, the quality of the treatments were exceptional (...and trust me, I have had a few in my time!). The ambiance of the day spa is definitely worth mentioning as well...it definitely is up there with one of the top day spa's in the UK...(...and trust me, I have been to a few in London). My partner went to the sauna and swimming pool whilst I had my treatments, and even he was impressed.

The restaurant is by far the best located in St Ives if you like 180 degree views across the ocean and also a quite, romantic and warm ambiance...it is also quite spectacular to watch the rain clouds come through over the ocean, from your table. The meals are exquisite and offer extremely good value for money, especially for those who are used to dining out in London's best. We were originally going to dine there for Saturday night dinner only, however returned the next day for breakfast and lunch due to the location, meal quality and atmosphere.

What makes this hotel so exceptional is the detail in their fixtures & fittings (from the toiletries, hair dryers, fluffy towels, lighting) and the high level of their customer service. I was most surprised when a birthday dessert with a candle was presented to me by the staff at my birthday lunch, this was then topped off when I went back to my room and awaiting for me on the table was a card, hand written by the manager wishing me a happy birthday, accompanied by a quality bottle of red wine. It is the attention to detail which makes this hotel special, the memories we had were unforgettable and after touring around neighboring towns and St Ives itself...you will not be disappointed by this hotel.

Other items to note:
- if you have dietary requirements, such as gluten intolerance (like myself), this hotel fully accommodates these needs.
- if you like a porter carrying your bags and a valet parking your car....you can expect this too
- if you like to be able to order room service, you can do this at any time, you can order off the menu or like the receptionist told me 'please feel free to request anything and I am sure we can accommodate it'
- if you want a location where you can keep your car in the garage and everything is within walking distance...this is your place
- if you want a restaurant that offers exceptional views and a gourmet menu...you will not be disappointed.
- if you want a romantic break or a relaxing vacation...this is your place.

Room Tip: Definitely book a room with a sea view...St Ives is beautiful and definitely should be enjoyed from...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for writing such an in-depth and wonderful 5 star review. It is great to read such positive comments. It was a pleasure to meet you both during lunch on Sunday and I look forward to helping with your parents booking in the not too distant future. I hope to see you both again soon before you head back to Australia. All the very best Peter

Reviewed 10 February 2014

We have just returned from a lovely 2 day spa break at this hotel. We booked an in land double room but on arrival there were twin beds in our room. We asked at reception and they very quickly moved us to a double room with a sea view! Very helpful staff helped us park our car. The Spa was lovely and we both enjoyed a very relaxing massage. Children are allowed in the Spa at certain times so best to avoid these times as it is not very relaxing with children screaming! I would definitely return to this hotel, the food was fantastic and the waiters were friendly and very helpful. Check your bill as we were charges for newspapers which we never had- although reception removed them straight away without any problems.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Peter H, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Thank you for your recent review. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and one of our newly refurbished bedrooms. It is also very pleasing to read that you enjoyed the Spa and its facilities. I sincerely hope to see you at the hotel again soon. Kind regards, Peter.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

St Ives is not a nice place to drive to!! however, on arrival we were greeted by a helpful gentleman who was the Porter and he kindly parked our car in the Carpark! This is just opposite the Hotel and uses a Lift for the Car to Park on the top floor. We parked outside the hotel and asked where we could park, without doing this you would not have known this was the carpark for the Hotel. Car Keys are left at the reception (which we weren't too keen on) but they are very trustworthy and it is no bother if you need to go to your car. The bedroom was really nice, all very clean and the views were beautiful! Food was nice, looked small but were filling. Staff were also very friendly. The main highlight of this hotel would have to be the Spa! At first we were the only ones in there and it was stunning, at first we had a Hot stone massage and then finished off by relaxing in the Hot Tub, Swimming pool and Steam Room. The Dim lights made it very romantic. All in all we were very happy with our stay, I think if the price did not include a meal allowance, bed and breakfast and full use of the spa then it would be a bit pricey. I think the only down fall for this Hotel would be that the ceilings seem thin as we could hear footsteps from the rooms above and the TV was a bit small!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write our hotel a review on trip advisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay here at the St Ives Harbour Hotel. It is very pleasing to hear you loved our spa facilities and treatments. I will pass on your kind comments to the spa team. I hope to see you back at the hotel again in the not too distant future. All the best, Peter.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

Firstly, I should point out that this is generally a very positive review - with just a few observations and pointers.

It is in a great location with lovely views over the beach - we had a room with a balcony and it was just gorgeous and whoever did the interior design should give themselves a pat on the back - as it is really nicely done.

Our room was lovely - would have benefited from bathrobes - but apparently this is something they will be introducing shortly. There were issue with the water (scalding hot and erratic) and the main shower. But the main problem was, for us at least, that the bed was really rock hard - and we both woke up aching both nights running! However, for other people this would be fantastic - so I guess it is just a question of personal preference and certainly not a reason to not stay here!

The staff are really friendly, it is well run and professional - the spa is lovely, with a great range of treatments, nice pool - which although open to non residents, does restrict times children can use it. So if you are on a couples weekend (which this hotel very much seems to suit) you can plan your activities accordingly!

The food, I must admit, was a bit of a disappointment - nice range of dishes, some quite adventurous, but the ones we had, didn't quite come off. Everything we had was just slightly over cooked and slightly under seasoned including breakfast. But again, we may have just been a bit unlucky with out choices and only had two nights to work through the menus! However, the puddings were very good!

Room Tip: if you can, get a room with a balcony and sea view - just gorgeous!
1  Thank maggie e

Thank you for your review. We appreciate all feedback we receive and are learning and improving as a result. I will be looking into the few issues you raised within your review and make sure they are dealt with. I am however extremely pleased from your kind comments throughout your review and that you enjoyed your overall stay here. I sincerely hope you return to the hotel again soon. Kind Regards, Peter.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

We stayed for a weekend at the hotel and have to say it was really good and will be returning. With our deal we had bed and breakfast for two nights, evening meal for one night and two spa treatments. Fantastic in all areas. Beautifully finished rooms, spa and facilities. I cannot find fault with anything including the staff who could not do enough for you. We were shown the separate apartments attached to the hotel which were very nice. I will be visiting other harbour hotels soon hopefully.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Peter H, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Many thanks for your compliments and kind review on trip advisor, the staff regularly read the reviews and they will be really pleased by your praise. I am delighted that you enjoyed your weekend stay here at the St Ives Harbour Hotel and I sincerely hope you will return to the Hotel again soon. Kind regards, Peter.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

Me and my boyfriend stayed in the Harbour Hotel a couple of weeks ago over a weekend and had a wonderful time (getting engaged too!). Staff were very friendly and looked after us really well; even giving us an upgrade to an apartment room, which was amazing, clean and modern with beautiful views of the beach! The location of the Hotel is perfect, with an easy walk to the centre of St Ives and to the beaches, with free parking too. The hotel has been refurbished really well (I used to stay when it was the Porthminster Hotel), and the food was delicious in the restaurant, with a great atmosphere and service. The breakfasts were scrumptious too, and filled you up for the day ahead. It was a perfect stay and we cant wait to return to the hotel again soon - thank you for making our stay so special!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Peter H, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Firstly I would like to congratulate you and your partner on your engagement and to wish you all the happiness for your future together. Secondly I would like to thank you for writing our hotel such a fantastic 5 star review. I am extremely pleased you had wonderful stay here at the St Ives Harbour Hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the not too distant future. All the best for 2014. Kind Regards, Peter

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Ives
The Gannet Inn
The Gannet Inn
#2 of 4 in Carbis Bay
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay

Been to St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!