“Above Average”

Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
St Austell, United Kingdom
“Above Average”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Very relaxing with very friendly staff. Everywhere was a well turned out but a little on the small side - reception, corridors and the ancient lift. No double glazing meant the spectacular view from our room was only available each morning after the condensation was towelled away. Excellent restaurant with attentive staff. Far too many non-residents meant we couldn't use the spa facilities. Should be dedicated time for guests to use these facilities.

1 Thank fingerspinner
Peter H, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found all the staff and facilities of a high standard. Unfortunately the 'old lady' (the lift) is part of the history of the Hotel and in keeping with the original building but I do take your comments on board. I hope it will not be too long before you return and enjoy another stay at the Hotel. Kind regards Peter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
Reviewed 21 February 2014

From the moment we arrived at the car park the service we recieved was excellent. When shown to our room we were pleasantly surprised to of been upgraded to a sea view room, this was really appreciated so thank you! The spa facilities were great and relaxed us ready for out evening. The bar man was extremely friendly even lighting the fire especially for us and the meal in the restaurant was perfect, the dinner bed and breakfast deal was amazing value for money! A special thanks to the man who seemed to do everything from Parking our car, bringing champagne flutes to the room and serving dinner! Overall we could not fault this place and I'm hoping to come back for my birthday in May, keep up the good work and thanks again for making our early valentines night away so perfect!

• Stayed February 2014
Thank you very much for your 5 star review. I am delighted you enjoyed you special Valentines evening at the Hotel. I will pass on your kind comments to all the staff. I hope to see you at the Hotel in the not too distant future. Kind regards Peter
Devon
Reviewed 18 February 2014

The hotel has had a most stylish revamp and it's great that the quality of our lunch and excellent service matched this. A great place to enjoy a leisurely lunch with a stunning view of Carbis Bay. Non-residents are made to feel very welcome. Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Peter H, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Thank you for writing such a positive review about your visit to the Hotel. I am very pleased you enjoyed the views and your lunch. Hope to see you at the Hotel again soon. All the very best Peter.
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for valentines day in feb 2014 and had a really nice stay.
The hotel staff were very helpful and sorted out any problems or met any requests I had. The service was very good.
We had dinner in the restaurant which was lovely. Very good food and again the service was spot on. Breakfast was also a treat with a great choice and a beautiful view from the well decorated dinning room.
On the whole a very nice hotel that I would certainly recommend. It exceeded my expectations.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review. I am delighted you enjoyed your Valentines experience at the Hotel. The compliments you made about all aspects of your stay really matter to the business and the staff, which really do boost team morale. I sincerely hope we see you at the Hotel again in the not too distant future. Kind regards Peter
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Very elegant hotel. Views from the restaurant, bar and the spa are wonderful. Food was great And staff were very attentive. The decor of the hotel is very elegant. Used the spa and husband had a fantastic head, shoulder and back massage that he described as " brutal.. But fantastic" . The spa has a nice size pool. Steam room wasn't too great as you sit and look at the wall and where the steam comes out, but hey ho. Great views from the spa. Lounge area was very relaxing. Our only two criticisms are that the bed was so small , we couldn't sleep. It was a double bed and just too small, and that the shower over the bath was only ok if you were under 5 ft 5... Which we are not.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank anisutton
Peter H, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review about the Hotel, all it's staff and facilities. I am delighted you enjoyed your experience with us. The bed sizes do vary dependant on room category with many rooms offering king and queen size beds. Please contact me directly for any future visits you are planning and I will ensure you are allocated a room with a larger bed. All the very best. Peter
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014

St Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa by far, sits in one of the best locations in St Ives, and also offers exceptional customer service, luxury accommodation and a gourmet restaurant for the traveler who is used to a certain 'level of comfort'.

We stayed at the hotel last weekend for my birthday, and although the weather was a little unpredictable, we were more than happy spending majority of our time at the hotel, enjoying the day spa, our luxury room and the gourmet restaurant with outstanding 180 degree views over St Ives.

We stayed in an ocean view room, and were extremely happy with the fittings and fixtures of the room. Our hotel room was a dream for all women who dread having to wash their hair at hotels due to the poor hair dryers or conditioner who leaves your hair in a tangle...this hotel offers superior toiletries and facilities to ensure a level of comfort is achieved.

I also tried out the day spa, I had a 30 minute express facial and 30 minute massage...although quite short treatments, the quality of the treatments were exceptional (...and trust me, I have had a few in my time!). The ambiance of the day spa is definitely worth mentioning as well...it definitely is up there with one of the top day spa's in the UK...(...and trust me, I have been to a few in London). My partner went to the sauna and swimming pool whilst I had my treatments, and even he was impressed.

The restaurant is by far the best located in St Ives if you like 180 degree views across the ocean and also a quite, romantic and warm ambiance...it is also quite spectacular to watch the rain clouds come through over the ocean, from your table. The meals are exquisite and offer extremely good value for money, especially for those who are used to dining out in London's best. We were originally going to dine there for Saturday night dinner only, however returned the next day for breakfast and lunch due to the location, meal quality and atmosphere.

What makes this hotel so exceptional is the detail in their fixtures & fittings (from the toiletries, hair dryers, fluffy towels, lighting) and the high level of their customer service. I was most surprised when a birthday dessert with a candle was presented to me by the staff at my birthday lunch, this was then topped off when I went back to my room and awaiting for me on the table was a card, hand written by the manager wishing me a happy birthday, accompanied by a quality bottle of red wine. It is the attention to detail which makes this hotel special, the memories we had were unforgettable and after touring around neighboring towns and St Ives itself...you will not be disappointed by this hotel.

Other items to note:
- if you have dietary requirements, such as gluten intolerance (like myself), this hotel fully accommodates these needs.
- if you like a porter carrying your bags and a valet parking your car....you can expect this too
- if you like to be able to order room service, you can do this at any time, you can order off the menu or like the receptionist told me 'please feel free to request anything and I am sure we can accommodate it'
- if you want a location where you can keep your car in the garage and everything is within walking distance...this is your place
- if you want a restaurant that offers exceptional views and a gourmet menu...you will not be disappointed.
- if you want a romantic break or a relaxing vacation...this is your place.

Room Tip: Definitely book a room with a sea view...St Ives is beautiful and definitely should be enjoyed from...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for writing such an in-depth and wonderful 5 star review. It is great to read such positive comments. It was a pleasure to meet you both during lunch on Sunday and I look forward to helping with your parents booking in the not too distant future. I hope to see you both again soon before you head back to Australia. All the very best Peter
Bideford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We have just returned from a lovely 2 day spa break at this hotel. We booked an in land double room but on arrival there were twin beds in our room. We asked at reception and they very quickly moved us to a double room with a sea view! Very helpful staff helped us park our car. The Spa was lovely and we both enjoyed a very relaxing massage. Children are allowed in the Spa at certain times so best to avoid these times as it is not very relaxing with children screaming! I would definitely return to this hotel, the food was fantastic and the waiters were friendly and very helpful. Check your bill as we were charges for newspapers which we never had- although reception removed them straight away without any problems.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Peter H, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Thank you for your recent review. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and one of our newly refurbished bedrooms. It is also very pleasing to read that you enjoyed the Spa and its facilities. I sincerely hope to see you at the hotel again soon. Kind regards, Peter.