“Some great pluses, only one minus”

St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Some great pluses, only one minus”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

The pros to this hotel are that the staff are friendly and helpful, it's in a great location being very close to the seafront and only a few minutes' walk into the town centre, and there is a great view from the restaurant over the bay (tip: if you want a table by the big windows get there early for lunch or dinner). We were only there one night and didn't use the spa so can't comment on that.
Our inside 'standard' bedroom was small but clean and comfortable. The en suite bathroom was likewise small but had been recently modernised to look very smart.
The only downside was that on the particular night my wife and I had dinner the service in the restaurant was chaotic. Long waits for food for us and other diners and as another downer I ordered a bottle of wine and despite reminding the waitress twice it never did turn up. The staff were under pressure and instead of the restaurant manager taking charge, with the best of intentions he tried to help the staff by waiting at tables himself. This meant the staff were like a tribe without a leader. I did complain to the restaurant manager and we did get two complimentary glasses of dessert wine.
We had some trepidation about breakfast the next morning but as it turned out service was prompt and efficient and our cooked breakfasts were excellent.
After our stay I did write a letter to Peter Holgate (general manager) and received an immediate and apologetic reply promising that the issues I'd raised would be addressed. Also, our daughter and her husband stayed at the hotel last year, were highly impressed and gave both the restaurant and the rest of the hotel full marks.
Incidentally, when arriving by car the system is you park in the drop off lay-by immediately opposite the front entrance, go into the hotel and a staff member will take your car into the hotel's own secure car park (adjacent to the drop off point). Also, when booking check the size of your room (if you are booking a standard room) and if necessary ask for a larger one.

Room Tip: Check the size when booking and, if it's small ask for a larger one. No harm in asking!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VisitorRobinGilbert
Peter H, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on trip advisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your overall stay and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel once again in the future. All the best, Peter.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

What a find! As a family we have been travelling to St. Ives for many years and generally head down to the harbour side of town for our stay but this time, we actually attended a wedding at this hotel and decided to extend our stay and take a 4 day break - am I glad we did. Opted for B&B with a great room (superb sea views) and a very good choice at breakfast. From arriving at the hotel we were greeted with what I can only describe as an exceptional level of smiling faces and desire to help, it was great to experience and never changed during our entire stay - the staff were superb it has to be said. The spa is fab and a must do with a range of treatments offered and experienced by the family. The views from this hotel are simply stunning and with only a short walk in to town, you really can't ask for more. We will definitely look to visit this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write us such a wonderful 5 star review. I am delighted you had such a lovely stay with us. The staff regularly check trip advisor and it is very encouraging to read such positive comments as it certainly is great for team morale. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the not too distant future. All the best, Peter Holgate.
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Unfortunately this hotel is way over priced and massively under delivers. Paid £70 extra or a "sea view" for room 304 but it was a tiny prison like window. Children were only allowed in swimming pool at limited times. Bar area was filthy with squashed nuts all over the floor- when you pay £9 for a glass of wine not great. Had no shampoo in room- rang twice none ever came. Bath plug didn't fit so couldn't have a bath. Contacted hotel after stay with concerns and they haven't even replied. Was suppose to be a special birthday treat but didn't turn out that way.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we appreciate all feedback we receive and are constantly evaluating, learning and improving as a result. I would like to apologise for any poor service that you received during any point of your stay, we work very closely with our staff to ensure high standards and I can assure you that we will be assessing all of the points raised in your review. I sincerely hope you return to the hotel in the near future and I look forward to welcoming you back. Kind Regards, Peter Holgate.
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We really enjoyed our long weekend here, I would have liked to give it five dots but I can't for a couple of reasons that I will get out of the way first:

The hotel is in a relatively old building and has been beautifully and extensively refurbished at great cost I would guess. It's a shame that this didn't extend to central heating in the area that our room was situated (303). I did notice that some of the areas of the hotel have radiators, we had a small electric heater in our room. The bathroom had a small heated towel rail. The window are lovely, old sash windows which look beautiful but let a lot of draft through. Neither of the heaters were sufficient and I was cold for the entire time I was in our room. I think they should have put some under floor heating in the bathroom, the tub is cast iron and so even the bath gets cold quickly.

Staying with the bathroom, there was no shower, just a hand held over the tub. This would be fine for a one night stay but trying to wash my hair was tedious. I wish the hotel had highlighted that the room didn't have a shower.

We stayed over the Easter weekend and there were two weddings, again, I wish the hotel would have told me before we booked. Live music and then a thumping disco kept us awake (with seven year old in tow) until 1am on Sunday morning and then again until around 11.30pm on Sunday night. If I'd have known I would have booked elsewhere. 11.30pm is acceptable but 1am is not. I was furious.

Anyway on to the positives, of which there are many:

Fabulous, world class views from our bedroom, the dining room and the terrace.

The comfiest, nicest bed I've ever slept in. The linens, duvets and pillows must be worth hundreds of pounds. For me this indicates that the owners of the hotel are more interested in their guests comfort over profit.

Food - every meal was top class and delicious. Breakfast was absolutely perfect. I spend lots of time in hotels and this hotel got breakfast spot on. Continental buffet, tea, coffee and toast to order delivered waitress service to table and cooked items, cooked to order and delivered hot and promptly to the table. Add to this the amazing views and I could have stayed there all day. Again, this service at breakfast is not the most cost effective for the hotel owners but beats a toast machine, congealed eggs and cold saugages from a buffet hands down. The single pots of tea had two tea bags in as standard to create a nice, strong brew. No need to ask for this - came as standard. Again, customer care over cost.

Every single member of staff I came across and I mean every single one could not do enough for you. It was like staying in a small family run B&B. In my experience this level of pride in their work is very rare expecially across the board as was evident here.

The pool, jacuzzi, steam and sauna are lovely. So well designed with a great outside terrace.

We loved our stay here, we love St Ives and we will definitely will visit again but we will avoid wedding weekends!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking your time to write us such a wonderful review on trip advisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and took advantage of all its fantastic facilities. The staff will find it very encouraging to read such positive comments as it certainly is great for team morale. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the not too distant future. Kind Regards, Peter Holgate.
Terrigal
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I enjoyed 2 nights in this lovely hotel whilst staying in Cornwall last week. The staff were welcoming, hotel clean and well furbished. The bar is a great spot for a pre dinner cocktail, great view and very cosy (esp if it is wet and wild outside as was the case during our stay). Don't be put off by any parking concerns. We pulled up opposite hotel and the porter arrived promptly to park our car for us. Breakfast was a treat; smoked haddock w poached egg- delicious! Only regret is that we were only able to stay 2 nights.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Peter H, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 April 2014
Thank you very much for such a wonderful and kind 5 start review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. Feedback such as your is great from the team to read as it really does mean a great deal to them. I hope to see you again soon for a longer stay next time. All the best Peter
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We stayed in one of the Porthminster Mews at New Year - we had the best week. Easy walk down into town + v close to the amazing Porthminster beach cafe. Kids could use the pool at certain times (hotel could be better an informing other guests when the kids time was so they didn't have to be a tad annoyed with all the kids in the pool) but seperate times is a good idea and worked well for the most part. Was good to have the facilities of a hotel plus have a lovely two story mews house to stay in - so relaxing - great upstairs kitchen with views across Carbis Bay. Mews is set back from the hotel - across the road - but views still great - parking space, and lovely new, luxury furnishings. They need to get some more kitchen equipment - but we ate out a lot and it was just the perfect week.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Peter H, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Thank you for posting such a positive review about your holiday experience. I am delighted that you enjoyed the apartment and also the facilities provided by the Hotel. I hope to see you in St. Ives again soon. All the best Peter
Devon
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We have just returned from spending a one night dinner, bed and breakfast package at this hotel.

Pros
Excellent customer service in the bar, restaurant, and spa.
Great to have access to the spa with its pool ( on the small side but suited our needs ), hot tub, sauna and steam room.
Spectacular views from outside terraces, restaurant and spa.
Gourmet dining at a reasonable price.
Valet garaged parking which is free.
The hotel has obviously undergone a tasteful refurbishment but has managed to keep many of the older features such as the lift, doors/locks and sash windows.

Cons
We booked a standard, inland facing, twin bedroom which was very small. Due to lack of space the two beds were pushed together which really constituted a double. The en suite although new was also very cramped. A small TV was placed on the dressing table as opposed to hanging on the wall and this also restricted space. When asked about our stay upon departure, we stated that we had found the room to be very cramped and the receptionist replied that some of their standard rooms are small and that next time we should state that we wanted to be accommodated in a larger standard room. Obviously if we had known about this in the first place we would have done so and will do so in the future.

Hence, we would definitely recommend this hotel for the excellent communal facilities but had some concerns regarding the size of the bedroom we were allocated.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Many thanks for posting such a comprehensive review about your stay. All feedback is greatly appreciated. I am delighted that you enjoyed you holiday and that you are looking to return again in the future. Kind regards Peter
Also consider these accommodations in or near St Ives
Pedn Olva Hotel
#4 of 21 in St Ives
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay

Been to St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!