The pros to this hotel are that the staff are friendly and helpful, it's in a great location being very close to the seafront and only a few minutes' walk into the town centre, and there is a great view from the restaurant over the bay (tip: if you want a table by the big windows get there early for lunch or dinner). We were only there one night and didn't use the spa so can't comment on that.
Our inside 'standard' bedroom was small but clean and comfortable. The en suite bathroom was likewise small but had been recently modernised to look very smart.
The only downside was that on the particular night my wife and I had dinner the service in the restaurant was chaotic. Long waits for food for us and other diners and as another downer I ordered a bottle of wine and despite reminding the waitress twice it never did turn up. The staff were under pressure and instead of the restaurant manager taking charge, with the best of intentions he tried to help the staff by waiting at tables himself. This meant the staff were like a tribe without a leader. I did complain to the restaurant manager and we did get two complimentary glasses of dessert wine.
We had some trepidation about breakfast the next morning but as it turned out service was prompt and efficient and our cooked breakfasts were excellent.
After our stay I did write a letter to Peter Holgate (general manager) and received an immediate and apologetic reply promising that the issues I'd raised would be addressed. Also, our daughter and her husband stayed at the hotel last year, were highly impressed and gave both the restaurant and the rest of the hotel full marks.
Incidentally, when arriving by car the system is you park in the drop off lay-by immediately opposite the front entrance, go into the hotel and a staff member will take your car into the hotel's own secure car park (adjacent to the drop off point). Also, when booking check the size of your room (if you are booking a standard room) and if necessary ask for a larger one.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- St Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa is perfectly positioned directly above Porthminster beach boasting stunning views across the water. Watch as the waves lap against the famous Godrevy Lighthouse in the distance and feel your troubles disappear. Explore the local harbour, as you meander through the cobbled streets, and then return for dinner at the Terrace Restaurant, serving up seasonal and local food, along with stunning sea views. The Harbour Spa provides the perfect hideaway, as you indulge in a soothing treatment and then unwind by the pool, gazing out to sea from the comfort of a lounger! Enjoy an indulgent afternoon tea, cocktail or light lunch on the alfresco dining terrace and soak up the sea air and sensational views. The 46 bedrooms offer complete comfort and some of the Superior Bedrooms have balconies - a perfect place to relax over a morning coffee with the papers or afternoon tea watching the boats sail by... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, HotelQuickly, Ebookers, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porthminster Hotel St Ives
- Porthminster St Ives
- St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa St Ives, Cornwall