“Poor cleanliness of rooms and unsatisfactory service” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa

St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
London, United Kingdom
“Poor cleanliness of rooms and unsatisfactory service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

During a recent return visit to the Harbour Hotel, St Ives (15/05 to 20/05/14) with my elderly parents we encountered poor service in respect of room cleanliness and low standard of food.

On arriving at the hotel we requested more coat hangers as there were only 2 in the wardrobe. When i made the request i received a curt response in which the receptionist stated "we don't have anymore coat hangers in the hotel". It was only due to my perseverance that the receptionist decided to make enquiries re additional coat hangers which did eventually arrive.

The 2nd day i requested that we have bath mats replaced in both rooms and additional towels to which i received a response from the receptionist ' we don't change the towels daily you know'. Later that evening we received additional towels.

On the 3rd day i requested that my parents bath mat be replaced, as it had been removed the day before. Despite two requests they did not receive another bath mat for the duration of our five day stay. They are 77 yrs and 81 yrs old and unsteady on their feet.

On the 4th day i received a knock on the door from the cleaner and she entered the room and provided an additional towel. She was about to leave the room before i reminded her that the bin was overflowing and not been emptied since our arrival, there were dirty cups and the room had not been hoovered since our arrival. The bin was emptied and the cups cleaned but the room was not hoovered throughout our stay and on two separate days the beds were not made.

On the 5th day, the day of our departure, four of us sat down for breakfast and three had porridge and all three were cold. We'd had enough at that point and decided against complaining. Whilst checking out of the hotel at approximately 11am i requested transport for my elderly parents to convey them to the train station due to inclement weather. On returning to reception half an hour before we were due to catch the train the receptionists could not find anyone to drive us to the station. I made the decision to walk with my elderly parents to the station in the soaking conditions.

I telephoned the hotel on the 21/05, the day after our return and asked to speak to the manager to notify him of our dreadful experience in his hotel. I was informed by the receptionist that he would get back to me later as he was busy and provided my mobile telephone number. He failed to return my call and has not responded to negative feedback in the hotel questionnaire.

In summary, the room cleaning was almost virtually non existent throughout our stay and the quality of food was less than satisfactory on occasions. I had a conversation with another elderly couple who also encountered no cleaning in their hotel room and were less than complimentary about the food.

It is a real shame that i have had to write this negative review as previous holidays at this hotel have been memorable. This was without doubt the worst experience i've had in respect of room cleanliness in any hotel.

David Willis

Room Tip: Rooms are ok but the cleanliness is dreadful and nothing short of disgraceful for such a reputable c...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank David W
Peter H, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Mr Willis, I was good to talk through your stay with me. Thank you for bringing these matters to my attention. As per our conversation I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel soon. Kind regards Peter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
Penzance, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

On the 30th April 2014 33 Mark Master Masons from all over Cornwall attended the 91st Tregenna Mark Master Masons Installation diner at this hotel. The help and assistance from Bonita McWilliams and Rebecca George, the hotel's wedding and events co-ordinators, in organising the event was second to none. The evening staff looked after us very well, very professional, but relaxed and friendly. The food was well presented and very enjoyable. As secretary for Tregenna Mark lodge I have received many complementary comments on the evenings proceedings. Some have ask to return next April. Praise indeed. Paul Kirkman Secretary Tregenna Mark Master Masons Lodge.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Paul K
Peter H, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Paul - thank you very much for your kind words and fabulous review. I will pass on your compliments to Rebecca and Bonita. I am delighted you all had a lovely evening and enjoyed the food and the service. I sincerely hope you will return again very soon for another evening. Kind regards Peter
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

We had our wedding here in April, I stayed with my bridesmaids the night before in an inland standard room which was lovely. The hotel is so open and accessible that it didn't matter about the lack of sea view and the beach is such a short walk away. I stayed with my Husband the next two nights are the service and room were both perfect. We had our breakfast in our room both days and requested extra coffee for the second morning which was bought to us with no bother. Stay and wedding were flawless and we will definitely be returning. A perfect location for the wedding and all the guests loved it. We had a few fussy eaters at the wedding who were all catered for.

Room Tip: Stayed in two rooms which were both in good locations and quiet
1 Thank sarah m
Peter H, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Many thanks Sarah for taking the time to write us such a wonderful review. Congratulations on your marriage, I am delighted you had a wonderful wedding and that you thoroughly enjoyed your time at the hotel. It would be lovely to welcome you back to celebrate your first wedding anniversary with us. I look forward to seeing you both again soon, all the best Peter.
Exmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

We stayed on a 2 night special deal which included breakfast on both mornings, dinner on the first night, a massage treatment and use of the spa facilities. The staff were excellent including the car park attendants who took the car away after we unloaded. The restaurant was excellent with superb views over the sea and lovely food. The spa was much appreciated and well maintained. The hotel is about 15 minute or so walk to main part of St Ives, so very convenient.
Our room had a sea view but the glass was not clean and the wooden sash windows were in need of repair or replacement. There was some noise from a wedding on the second night. Nevertheless we had a thoroughly enjoyable stay at the hotel.

1 Thank KeithP1950
Peter H, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. I am delighted you enjoyed you stay at the Hotel, especially the Restaurant, Spa, views and location. I sincerely hope you will return to the Hotel again in the not too distant future. Kind regards Peter
Tavistock, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here at the end of March. It was a special indulgent treat for us. The initial check-in was pleasant however we both felt very disappointed with our sea view room, the window was so dirty you couldn't appreciate the sea view, it evidently hadn't been cleaned for quite sometime. We had pre-booked hot pebble messages in the spa to help make our stay extra special. When our treatments started neither of us received the right treatment. My husband learnt whilst having his treatment, a standard massage, that neither of the girls available where actually able to give the booked treatments. Although very disappointed we let this go and continued to enjoy the spa facilities. Earlier on the first day I had tried to enjoy a hot bath in our room, only to discover that the bath plug would not properly close and hence the bath drained all the water, we reported this to reception who said maintenance would sort out the problem whilst we went out. They didn't. You also really struggled to get any form of service in the bar that was for the most part unmanned during its opening hours. Whilst checking out after our seconds night stay we handed our feedback card in describing the above experiences. To date no-one has contacted us to apologise or discuss the problems encountered. Compared to other hotels we have stayed in, namely "The Driftwood" and "Watergate Bay", this hotel is very poor. Disappointed to say the least, considering the room cost £390 for the two nights. I have still rated 1 star for location and spa facilities.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NickyandPaul2014
Thank you for taking time to write a review about your stay. I have sent you a message via Trip Advisor to contact me at your earliest convenience to discuss your stay. Kind regards Peter
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Celebrated our wedding anniversary here and we had a fantastic time. Couldn't complain about a thing, from start to finish it's been excellent. Polite and helpful staff, food and drink was to a high standard, spa was beautiful and really clean. Had drinks out on the terrace, and it was a bit chilly so the waitress gave us blankets to keep us warm. Thought that was a really nice touch. We will definitely be back !

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Peter H, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Thank you Charlotte for such a great 5 star review. I am delighted you had such lovely time at the Hotel and enjoyed your Anniversary. I sincerely hope you will return again soon. All the very best Peter.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

Lovely room, great view, helpful staff, great location, nice spa.
Also has parking, but this is a bit of a drama - as car park is on 2 levels connected by a car lift - which all seems a bit needless compared with what could have been done - so great if you don't intend to use car much, but a bit of a pain if daily use is planned.
Also wi-fi in hotel was painfully slow - which would be an easy upgrade to make.

1 Thank AndyBetton
Peter H, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Thank you for taking time to review us on trip advisor, all feedback is greatly appreciated. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay here at the hotel and I sincerely hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the not too distant future. All the best, Peter.