During a recent return visit to the Harbour Hotel, St Ives (15/05 to 20/05/14) with my elderly parents we encountered poor service in respect of room cleanliness and low standard of food.
On arriving at the hotel we requested more coat hangers as there were only 2 in the wardrobe. When i made the request i received a curt response in which the receptionist stated "we don't have anymore coat hangers in the hotel". It was only due to my perseverance that the receptionist decided to make enquiries re additional coat hangers which did eventually arrive.
The 2nd day i requested that we have bath mats replaced in both rooms and additional towels to which i received a response from the receptionist ' we don't change the towels daily you know'. Later that evening we received additional towels.
On the 3rd day i requested that my parents bath mat be replaced, as it had been removed the day before. Despite two requests they did not receive another bath mat for the duration of our five day stay. They are 77 yrs and 81 yrs old and unsteady on their feet.
On the 4th day i received a knock on the door from the cleaner and she entered the room and provided an additional towel. She was about to leave the room before i reminded her that the bin was overflowing and not been emptied since our arrival, there were dirty cups and the room had not been hoovered since our arrival. The bin was emptied and the cups cleaned but the room was not hoovered throughout our stay and on two separate days the beds were not made.
On the 5th day, the day of our departure, four of us sat down for breakfast and three had porridge and all three were cold. We'd had enough at that point and decided against complaining. Whilst checking out of the hotel at approximately 11am i requested transport for my elderly parents to convey them to the train station due to inclement weather. On returning to reception half an hour before we were due to catch the train the receptionists could not find anyone to drive us to the station. I made the decision to walk with my elderly parents to the station in the soaking conditions.
I telephoned the hotel on the 21/05, the day after our return and asked to speak to the manager to notify him of our dreadful experience in his hotel. I was informed by the receptionist that he would get back to me later as he was busy and provided my mobile telephone number. He failed to return my call and has not responded to negative feedback in the hotel questionnaire.
In summary, the room cleaning was almost virtually non existent throughout our stay and the quality of food was less than satisfactory on occasions. I had a conversation with another elderly couple who also encountered no cleaning in their hotel room and were less than complimentary about the food.
It is a real shame that i have had to write this negative review as previous holidays at this hotel have been memorable. This was without doubt the worst experience i've had in respect of room cleanliness in any hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- St Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa is perfectly positioned directly above Porthminster beach boasting stunning views across the water. Watch as the waves lap against the famous Godrevy Lighthouse in the distance and feel your troubles disappear. Explore the local harbour, as you meander through the cobbled streets, and then return for dinner at the Terrace Restaurant, serving up seasonal and local food, along with stunning sea views. The Harbour Spa provides the perfect hideaway, as you indulge in a soothing treatment and then unwind by the pool, gazing out to sea from the comfort of a lounger! Enjoy an indulgent afternoon tea, cocktail or light lunch on the alfresco dining terrace and soak up the sea air and sensational views. The 46 bedrooms offer complete comfort and some of the Superior Bedrooms have balconies - a perfect place to relax over a morning coffee with the papers or afternoon tea watching the boats sail by... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HotelsClick, Booking.com, Hotel.de, Odigeo, Agoda and Superbreak UK so you can book your St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porthminster Hotel St Ives
- Porthminster St Ives
- St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa St Ives, Cornwall