“A great Cornish experience”

St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in St Ives
Reviewed 14 June 2014

My partner and I recently stayed here with friends and had a lovely time.Our room was contemporary with a great sea view.The breakfasts were substantial and there was a good choice of evening meal although it would be nice to have had a salad bar and more fresh fruit.However the staff were very polite and we enjoyed a most relaxing time in the Spa.We hope to come again.

Room Tip: Have a sea view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Peter H, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review us on trip advisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and made the most of our wonderful spa facilities. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon in the not too distant future. All the best, Peter.

Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

We were at the hotel for a wedding so decided to book 3 nights at this hotel. The car parking is strange on checking with the valet we found we were parked correctly, we didn't have to use the lift. But I must say we had a better welcome at reception from our family who happened to be there ensuring wedding arrangements were okay than the receptionist. Our room, very clean but small. Also, there were no spare electric wall sockets. I had to dive under the dressing table to unplug the kettle to plug the hairdryer in. The wardrobe was ridiculous, too short for dresses and the shelves too high to reach. You didn't have much room between bedside table and the door! The bed though was very comfortable. However, whilst trying to sleep, we heard music from the terrace bar on the first night. Not good when you've had a 6 hour journey. The breakfast was slow but very tasty. The food at the wedding was okay for the main meal but the fish and chips were awesome for the evening reception. We had an evening meal on the Sunday, which was average but very expensive. I thought all the staff lovely and attentive.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I am not sure whether it is a 3* or 4*. If it is a 3* then it deserves 4/5, if it is a 4* it needs some tweaks. On the upside - Free wifi. Very comfortable common areas. I liked the decor in the room and I thought that the service was overall good, although it was a tad slow at breakfast, but it was peak time the first day. On the second day it was quick but I was there earlier. The view was great, we were lucky with the weather and able to use the terrace which was also very pleasant. Breakfast was adequate for my needs and I liked the fact that we got hot toast and a cooked breakfast to order.

On the downside - no sign for the parking. My biggest complaint though is the size of the room we were in and I think that for what we paid, the VFM was not good. The room was very small, the bathroom door did not open properly as it hit the bedside table, we had to walk sideways round the bed and really and truly, it was just big enough for the bed. The bed was very good to be fair, but the rest of the room was not the kind of place you could hang out and relax. It is a pity as the decor was very nice, it was clean and the bed was very comfortable. I do not think we were the exception, as we had 5 rooms and of the 5, 4 were small. Would I stay there again? I don't know.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank retro46
Peter H, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am very please that you enjoyed many aspects of the Hotel and your visit. I am disappointed that you didn't like the room you were allocated. We have various sized rooms and views available and I am sure if you had asked at reception we could have tried to change your room for you. I sincerely hope you will return in the future to sample one of our larger sea view options. Kind regards Peter

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Stayed there whilst celebrating my nans birthday. First impressions of location were great.
We were mad to feel welcome by reception lady and went to the room and oh my god by far the smallest room ive stayed in. I mean .....prison cell sized.
On the positives, it was clean comfy bed nice towels and nice modern decor but the size simply unacceptable.
Breakfast was ok but slow at bringing out the cooked dishes. We had dinner at the restaurant and the food was ok...nothing great but nothing too bad. Claire the waitress stood out as she was great at her job, sweet and very proffesional.
All in all a place of great location with stunning views but most definitely not worth £165 per night with rooms so so so small .

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Skag181
Peter H, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am please that you enjoyed many aspects of the Hotel and your visit. I am disappointed that you didn't like the room you were allocated. We have various sized rooms and views available and I am sure if you had asked at reception we could have tried to change your room for you. I sincerely hope you will return in the future to sample one of our larger sea view options. Kind regards Peter

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We have now stayed on a few occasions and most recently had our daughters wedding here. which was absolutely perfect, many thanks to Sidney, Bonita and Rebecca. The hotel has a warm and inviting feel and whatever the weather, the views are amazing. Rooms are clean and the beds really comfortable. All Staff were friendly and extremely helpful, our curtains fell down one night and I have to admit it scared the life out of us at the time, but a quick mention at reception and problem was solved while we had breakfast. The dining room has a romantic feel in the evenings and the food lovely and a great selection on the menu. The only criticism we have is that the pool in the spa is tiny in relation to the hotel guests and the amount of people using the spa, but this does not detract from the overall wonderful experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Peter H, General Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write us a fantastic 5 star review on trip advisor. I am really pleased you had such a delightful time here at the hotel for your daughter wedding. The staff regularly read the reviews on trip advisor and will be really thrilled by your lovely comments. I sincerely look forward to welcoming you back again soon, all the best, Peter.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

I took my girlfriend to this hotel as a 30th birthday treat for 3 nights and on the whole we had a really lovely time. Let me start with the positives, the view from the dining room and terraces was stunning and a really beautiful place to have breakfast. The spa was also lovely, clean and had friendly, helpful staff. The room was nice, we had a very comfortable bed, though perhaps was not worth the price, we had a non sea-facing view and instead looked over a couple of roosting seagulls on next door's roof. We were happy with it on the whole although it didn't have the kind of extras you'd expect, such as bathrobes and could have done with some modernisation, windows were rickety and didn't lock, tiny tv, etc.

Unfortunately our first impression was not as positive as it could have been. Upon arrival at the hotel we had to call after driving round and being unable to find the car park. I was informed by the receptionist that it was in front of the hotel but in a fairly curt manner. The car park was not signposted and not obvious, so you'd expect staff to be helpful and understanding. This receptionist gave the impression she wasn't either of those things and made us feel as if we were the inconvenience. Throughout the trip we had a very mixed experience with the staff, some were great and very attentive, some seemed to have a bad attitude. As an example, we wanted to take the car out one day and required a staff member to operate the car lift. Help was given begrudgingly after we were ignored for a few minutes, one staff member replied "I guess it better be me then" after we asked for help. It made us feel that some staff could not be bothered and this is not what we'd expect from any hotel, never mind one which was relatively highly priced. Unfortunately this wasn't limited to reception staff and we also received less than polite service from some bar and dining room staff. However we would like to stress how good some members of staff were, such as the male car park porter and the younger members of reception and dining room staff.

On the whole we had a great time in St. Ives, dampened slightly by some of the staff members. There were a few other niggles, small, slightly cold portions at breakfast and quite noisy in the morning, lots of slamming doors etc. We'd like to go back to the hotel but probably wouldn't unless we knew that the service from staff would be better.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Adam B

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I am pleased on the whole you enjoyed your stay, and I sincerely hope you return to the hotel again. I have sent you a message on trip advisor and I look forward to hearing back from you. All the best, Peter.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

It's difficult finding a good room/ hotel to stay in with a dog!
I expected a sub standard room as I was a dog owner, which is tantamount to being a leper!
Wrong! A good room, comfortable and very clean. Staff that were friendly and helpful.
It's a difficult place to park in St Ives, this hotel has it's own car park, which is difficult to manoeuvre in, but helpful porter service do this for you. Nice restaurant and good decor, good value for money.

Room Tip: Only certain rooms are for dog owners, these are not the ones shown on web site. Don't be put of...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for writing us a wonderful 5 star review on trip advisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay here and I sincerely look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the not too distant future. All the best, Peter.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Ives
The Gannet Inn
#2 of 4 in Carbis Bay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay

Been to St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!