“Seaside break before winter sets in”

St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Reviewed 23 November 2008

We 4 friends travelled to Cornwall from Hertfordshire, and arrived in heavy drizzle after 6 hours travelling. Very friendly efficient wecome from reception staff, who were happy to show us 4 alternative rooms when I wasn't completely happy with our given one,(gorgeous view of the beach below slightly obscured by next doors bay wall). Very happy with chosen room, and v. useful to have children's room adjoining for bags, extra boots etc.
Fabulous view of beach and harbour, and is it a coincidence the rooms are decorated in complementary colours?..pale turquoise and cream wallpaper matching the sea and sand outside. Excellent en-suite.
Delicious food from their new chef, particularly loved the divine soups, often disappointing in restaurants and hotels, and the service was friendly and personal throughout the hotel.
The building could do with some money spent on it as it is a bit shabby outside, but what a location!
I would love to take my grandchildren there, the under 5s go free!, and we could take advantage of the indoor pool which looked lovely.
Looking forward to returning some time in the future.

Thanks to all the staff, who are obviously really nice people who have been trained well.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends

Reviewed 9 November 2008

I should say straight away that we got married at the Porthminster, so obviously we weren't 'regular' travellers and I may consequently be a little biased in my review.

The Porthminster is an old hotel with modern service and facilities. We were in the bridal suite which was fantastic: two rooms, two balconies, gorgeous bed and huge bathroom with a jacuzzi bath - and the view was breathtaking!

Highly recommend food and location but really, it's the customer care that was second to none. I've travelled a lot and these were some of the best staff I've come across. I won't bore you with every example of how staff went out of their way for us, but they obviously take customer care training very seriously. Even the housekeeping team were fantastic.

My mother stayed in a single room - quite small, but very clean, very well decorated, lovely bathroom, comfy bed and nice view. Her room was probably much more typical than our bridal suite experience! Also she can be tough to impress! However, she was very pleased with the room and faciities.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 November 2008

Spent 3 nights at the Porthminster as a base while walking the Portreath to Perrenporth section of the SW coast Path. A warm welcome with friendly staff, good food, excellent rooms (superb sea views). Left on the Sunday feeling much the better for the relaxing - if strenuous - break. A big thank you to all concerned - hopefully we'll be back.

Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed 30 October 2008

Just returned from a 3 night stay at the Porthminster. The hotel was of an excellent standard and the staff were very friendly. Although we'd booked a sea view room i was really amazed how fantastic the view was, looking right over the beach and we could lie in bed looking right at the sea.

The hotel is around a 5 minute walk down to the main shops and harbour and is also a 2 minute walk to the train station and and down the porthminster beach,

The staff in the restaurant were very friendly and would go out of their way to help you. The food was excellent and there was a variety of choice.

The hotel also has a pool and jacuzzi and although the pool was alittle cold, it definately was a bonus after a long day out walking around St Ives.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 October 2008

I decided to take my girlfriend for an out of season trip to the seaside, and found this hotel on it's own website, we got a pretty good deal direct with them.The hotel is a little dated but immaculately clean. The breakfasts are really great with plenty of choice. We had a seaview room which was really tastefully decorated. Although, we found it a bit on the large side for just the 2 of us, it was more than good value.We also had a shower and a bath. Which was great. The new owners have recently installed large flat screen TV's in most of the rooms i had been told. These were absolutely great! There is a lovely indoor heated swimming pool. We did manage to use this most days.

There is a really comfortable bar/lounge. Where you can have coffee/ wine etc. This till late at night, and take in the breathtaking views. Town is only a stone's throw away, and at this time of year in the October sun was beautiful. We had evening meal on our last two nights, and wished we had stayed in every night. Both were immaculate. We never expected such quality from a 3star kitchen and desserts to die for.

All in all a fantastic venue to base any holiday from. And the staff made sure that nothing was too much trouble. Top marks all round!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2008

We arrived in St Ives on a wonderful warm day, we were greated by very helpful receptionist who gladly gave us a sea view room.

The room was amazing, well decorated with views to die for!! The upkeep of the room was impressive and it seems that great care had been taken in perparing it for us.

The resturaunt was extermely impressive and we were waited on by the two most delightful South African gentlemen who attended to our every need with a smile and great sense of humour... we thank you for making our stay truely enjoyable with your warm smiles

I recommended anyone who is thinking of going to stay there should make a booking immediately!!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 October 2008

I did not even get to stay at the Porthminster this year. I hit a brick wall at the booking line!!! I have stayed at this hotel about 5 times over the years and yes it does need updating etc but I have always loved it warts and all because of location, pool, staff!! I phoned to try and book for my annual break in St Ives, October, but was told there were no single rooms available....a double for single occupancy was going to cost me £110 per night which I just could not afford I was not advised of advertised 10% in October for 3 or more nights..I wanted 4 nights.
I Subsequently booked with a very very nice B & B but later looked on the Porthminster website (I know I should have done this first but for special offers you had to phone in) to find that there were 2 singles available!!!! I then trawled through the usual late booking type sites to find that the Porthminster was booking per room not per head and that prices for double for single occupancy ranged from £110 per night (Porthminster reception) through to £75 per night and £60 per night depending on what site one looked at. I was very upset about this and wrote a long letter to the Porthminster ( I have the copy with me now dated 22nd August) and never received a reply.
This is just rude!
So even though the quality of the hotel has come under fire this review is not for that ..it's for the poor booking system and the fact they lost a loyal customer due to not know what rooms were actually available (saying no single when there were), giving wrong information (saying that the rates were per body not room) and being totally inflexible with old customers giving them a better out of season deal..
Having said all this I will try my hardest next year to make a booking again by whatever means and bloomin' well have that swim!!
With irritated affection CB Somerset

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
MidlandsRunningMan, Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2008

Dear CABsouthsomerset

I was alarmed to read of your experience whilst attempting to book with us earlier this year, I cannot imagine why you had such a frustrating experience but I do apologise for it.

I am not aware of a letter regarding this, perhaps this got lost in the post. I wonder if I could ask you to send a copy back to me at the hotel so I can respond more appropriately?

Many thanks.

The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
The Gannet Inn
The Gannet Inn
#2 of 4 in Carbis Bay

Been to St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!