“very enjoyable short break”

St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Kent
“very enjoyable short break”
Reviewed 14 July 2009

Service attentive and friendly
Stylish room with view of sea and garden from balcony,lovely modern bathroom and shower.Comfortable king size bed and flat screen TV
Excellent location for beach
Wonderful dinners and dining room with seaview

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sweb61

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
west midlands
Reviewed 7 July 2009

Me and my husband decided to visit st Ives for our 1st Anniversary. the picture on Late rooms were very nice, how ever this wasn’t the case when we got there. our first room was on the 2nd floor room 50 I think...as soon as I walked in my jaw dropped, and this wasn’t a good thing. our room was the worst I have ever seen, I t was a completely tiny room with Twin beds, very very dated, it looked like a grotty BnB from a horror film. As I opened a door to what I thought was a built in cupboard it was actually our build in bathroom, which was about the size of my double wardrobe at home, we had a half a view of the street and the other of the roof top of the entrance down stairs. My husband who isnt fussy about where he stay's even felt very uncomfortable, it was the worst start to our anniversary. so I went down stairs to reception and very kindly to them I wasn’t happy with the room and asked if we could have a more scenic room. The lady on reception was very kind and informed me that they were fully booked but I was told to come back the next morning. So I spent a night in the room of horror. I woke up with the worst back ache. as soon as I was changed I went down stairs to ask about the room change. Again the staff were very helpful and changed our room for us. on the way to our new room I had a quick glance at one of the sea view rooms which happened to be open as it was being cleaned, this was the room that is on the pic, and is not was the same as any of the other rooms, very deceiving in my opinion. our second room was twice the size as the fist. it was on the 1st floor room 112. a much nicer room although still dated but the bed and bathroom were much nicer. the tv was very small and very far from our bed but in comparison to the last room I wasn’t about to complain! In the evening we had drinks in the bar, it was really nice as we had a lovely sea view and listened to the mellow piano music. it was probably the nicest bit of our stay. all the good review were proabably for the sea view rooms, nothing like standard!

4 Thank DavinaPatel
PorthminsterManager, Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 July 2009
Dear DavinaPatel

Thank you for your comments, as you will have read elsewhere we are undergoing huge upgrades and improvements at the hotel and soon we will have completed our final non-refurbished rooms. For now the remaining non-refurbished rooms are only let for heavily discounted rates, as was the case here.

I am sorry we failed to meet or exceed your expectations, however, I am cheered that you found the staff helpful and the atmosphere in the bar pleasant. If you would care to contact me directly I would be delighted to try to make amends for the disappointment felt over the standard of your room.
West Midlands
Reviewed 30 June 2009

We have been investigating several hotels in the region to hold a civil ceremony, but until we phoned up and spoke to the very helpful and very kind staff at Porthminster not one had warranted a viewing. At every other hotel we had to do the running around and chasing for information but nothing was too much trouble for the staff at Porthminster.
We were very excited to go down and have a look around the hotel, which is ideally located – very beautiful walk into the main town of St Ives, and a very short walk to the beach.
The reception staff were very helpful, as were the polite and friendly staff in the restaurant, the food was definitely worth the money, recommend the lamb with the dauphinoise potatoes and the Cornish cheese board.
The rooms was very modern and the bathroom with the airbath was very luxurious.
We thoroughly enjoyed our one night stay we really wish it was for a lot longer as we can’t wait to go back.

Vicky and Louise

1 Thank littlev84
Cornwall
Reviewed 18 June 2009

Stayed recently and attended wedding here. Had been told our room would be a recently refurbished room, this certainly was not the case. The room was tired and so was the bathroom. At first glance we thought we had been allocated a room with a single bed as it was that small! the toiletries provided were very basic, the hand towels shabby, only one bath robe provided, no extra pillows or blankets, no complimentary bottled water and the TV reception was very poor. The public areas are in need of refurbishment. The food was poor, including breakfast and so was the bar service in the evening. Wrote to the Manager who replied in writing that perhaps we were expecting too much from a 3 star hotel!!!! I work in tourism for Cornwall and certainly know what to expect and know of better B&B's in the area. Would not reccomend this hotel.

2 Thank Sarcharl
PorthminsterManager, Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 19 June 2009
Dear Sarchal

Thank you for your comments.

As I previously expressed in my letter to you, I am truely sorry that you were expecting more from us. Your room was refurbished in 2007 and I have stayed in it on occasion myself. I'm happy to state publicly that I do not believe it to be a below standard 3 star room.

No doubt there will be other guests who attended the wedding of 3 weeks ago who will also be choosing Trip Advisor to broadcast their varying grievances in hindsight. I am sorry that you are choosing to do this but all I can do is encourage the audience who are reading this to consider that these are stemming from one function alone and we have plenty of other good review inbetween these.
Buckinghamshire
Reviewed 18 June 2009

Having read the most recent review on Tripadvisor and being a guest at a wedding recently held at The Porthminster, I felt I had to give an opposing point of view. The wedding I attended was truly exceptional, the food was lovely and the staff attentive and helpful. Sure drinks aren't cheap - but then in such luxurious surroundings it’s only to be expected. I stayed the night in a room with a great sea view and breakfast the following morning was of a good standard and served with a "smile". I cannot praise The Porthminster enough and felt it really deserves to be defended from such harsh criticism.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Marlowmuddler
London
Reviewed 13 June 2009

This hotel is like an Aunt in a new frock, but still wearing old accessories. Our room had been refurbished and was clean, but the window woodwork still needed doing and the carpets in the room could do with updating to bring it to the same level as the rest of the room. I can understand however, if the carpets were to be done at a different time due to the cost of bringing in labour. I would have liked to have seen a larger duvet on the bed instead of a standard double - and for some reason it looked lumpy, as was one of the pillows. sort of like the effect you get if you wash polyeseter pillows wrong. The TV could have been bigger, and the reception was poor, but with the digital switchover happening soon I expect that will be rectified and hopefully the full range of freeview channels will be available instead of the basic 5. We had a wonderful view of the bay, pool and gardens from the window. Despite the rope in the sash window being broken, we were able to keep the window open. The room was well appointed with hair dryer, trouser press and iron, kettle, and most unusually, a plug in make up mirrror.

The bathroom was newly renovated and they have the same tiles I got at B&Q for my kitchen on the floor there! I would have liked to have seen a more modern style used for the sanitary ware. I don't like separate mixer taps in the basin (one of which had a cracked hot label). Getting in and out of the bath may pose an issue for the less able due to the proximity of the screen and basin. It looks as if the builder was under a bit of time pressure when working on the renovation as the mastic hasn't adhered properly in parts and is likely to cause areas of mould to grow if not rectified soon.

We dined in the restuarant on one occassion and it was worth it. The food is excellent (ex Ivy chef) as is the service. I thoroughly recommend having a meal here at least one night of your stay here. The view of Porthminster beach from here is magical. The prices are the same as you'd pay in the Porthminster Cafe on the beach, or the better places in St Ives. Breakfast is also served in this room. The buffett is limited to juices, cereals, yougurts, fruit and pastries, but cooked to order hot food is brought fresh to you along with toast, tea and coffee. The Pain au Chocolat was among the best I've had in the UK and probably the best I've had at any hotel! Service by the staff who seem to work long hours was very friendly and professional by all.

Next to the restaurant is the Lounge with still great views of the bay. We had a cream tea there one afternoon when it was about to rain and each evening had a nightcap before bed. Behind that is another lounge with some board games and library. There was also one pc there, but it was out of order. Wi-fi was working though.

The hotel has 2 pools. Despite the outdoor one being heated it still felt to cold to swim in during my stay, but I did take advantage of the indoor pool. Chlorine levels may need to be adjusted as my eyes went red very fast, but soon cleared up with some drops. There is also a very good spa next to the pool. It seems that at one time the leisure facilities were open to non hotel residents via a membership scheme as there was a former gym room which looked like it contained storage at the moment. Hopefully this will come back some time. There was also another games room (always open, never locked) with billiards and ping pong table. The bar was shut, with a wet varnish sign on it. This part of the hotel was a bit rundown, however I'm sure it will be done up at some point.

The gardens are worth investigating as they also lead to some short cuts avoiding the steep climb back from St Ives on the main road. If you go behind the lift on the ground floor you will see some stairs to the function room. Go through that and out the door to the terrace and follow the path down behind the pool and you will come to gate. Go down that and if you take the first left you will end up at the Train station and then onwards into St Ives it self. If you keep going straight ahead you will end up at the tennis courts and beach.

The hotel has a guest laundry on the second floor, but I didn't see it advertised in the hotel book. It seems the hotel is a couple of buildings joined together so worth investigating to see what you find!

The biggest asset this hotel has it the people. I don't think I've stayed in a hotel where all the staff have made you feel so welcome. From reception, to wait staff, bar staff, housekeeping and everyone else we all got a warm feeling that these people enjoyed their jobs and enjoyed looking after us. Once the few minor things on my list get fixed, this will be probably the best place to stay in St Ives. Regardless, I'm still going back there next year! Or sooner!

1 Thank fly4fun2
Portishead
Reviewed 27 April 2009

Having read some negative reviews of this Hotel we approached our stay with some trepidation! However, the room was a good size - obviously refurbished - with wonderful views of the bay and blissfully quiet at night. The dinner menu offered a good selection of dishes (difficult to maker a choice) and was beautifully cooked. Breakfast also was very good. Above all, the staff were friendly and efficient. It is true that the stairs and corridors are a little 'tired' and we did not use the indoor pool so cannot comment, but we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and wished we had booked for 3 and not 2 nights. Re the comments on car parking and steepness of access to beach - this Hotel was built for an era when guests arrived by train rather than cars and the location is what makes it a wonderful place to stay. There is nothing that the Hotel management can do about this - except to move it!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Chy-An-Albany
Chy-An-Albany
#7 of 21 in St Ives
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay

Been to St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!