St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa
Hotels.com
US$402
Agoda.com
1,621 results
All reviewssea viewcar parkwedding venuevisited this hoteloverlooking the beachbuilding workpublic areasout of seasonamazing viewsshort breaklovely roomnight breakjacuzzirebeccaharbourstives
Reviewed 2 November 2009

I stayed at the Porthminster with my husband last weekend and what a lovely experience it was !. The staff are exceptional, each and everyone seems to thoroughly enjoy working there and they are a credit to the place. We had booked a sea view room and had been advised in advance of the scaffolding and the rate had been reduced accordingly (a good incentive to go now !). The interior of the bedroom was super and very comfortable and the scaffolding did not detract from our stay in any way. The views from the dining room and bar are simply stunning and I can't imagine a better view. Location wise, the hotel is a short walk from the centre of St Ives, a leisurely 5 minute stroll at best - although it took a little longer to get back because its up hill. Considering the work going on, there is no impact to guests and the staff do a fantastic job of making this happen. Car parking, I had previously read was an issue but it was fine and no problem at all,. I cant wait to see the end result, well worth a return trip !.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank explorerStIves
Reviewed 2 November 2009

Booked in for 2 nights to this hotel. Having read the other reviews, we did wonder what we were heading for, but thought that it was worth a try. Don't do it! We were unlucky in that we were obviously in the unrefurbished part of the hotel, which was very shabby. We were moved from the first room because the bathroom was dirty, and the second room was tiny and tatty. View was mixed and it overlooked the main road (noisy) and the garden, a little bit of the sea, but you couldn't see this because of the scaffolding! The windows wouldn't open, the bed was very uncomfortable, the pillows felt like a slab of foam, and I woke up in the night freezing clod and had to request another duvet as there were no blankets in the room. The bath has tidemarks around it, plastic glasses instead of glass, parking a nightmare, I could go on...The building work started at 9am, the sound of banging and drilling reverberated around our room, despite the written assurance that work only went on during the week. We booked out after one night. On the plus side, the dining room had a fabulous view. However, the breakfast was cold and although I asked for a vegetarian breakfast, it seems that this means that they just miss out the bacon and sausage. The staff were friendly enough though and perhaps when the building work has finished it might be OK. We wouldn't return though.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jkc2015
PorthminsterManager, Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2009

Dear skippyDevon

Thank you for your review and latterly also for your subsequent letter to me. As expressed in my letter response I hope you will now allow me the opportunity of welcoming you back to a refurbished room in order to demonstrate the typical and usual high standards we achieve.

Reviewed 26 October 2009

booked through late rooms which has proved in the past to be great value for money. The room we were allocated on arrival was just horrendous.... dirty carpet, holes in the ancient net curtains, lumpy pillows and duvet and a shower in a cupboard !!! they offered to change our room the next day which I have to say was lovely but the attitude of the receiptionist on duty that day was as if they were doing us a huge favour ! I told her that there should be a health warning on the rooms if this is all they offer through late rooms - never had a problem previously !! my final comments were that I dont live like this at home so dont expect to have to pay for sub standard accommodation.

the breakfast and the one evening meal we had in the hotel was fine and the staff friendly, the pool wasnt available and the parking was a bit iffy ......

dont think we would come back here unless we were guaranteed a decent room, it took the edge of what should have been a lovely weekend !

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jules61060
PorthminsterManager, Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2009

Dear joulesDevon

Thank you for your review, I only wish it expressed a more typical overview of our guests experience.
It appears that you were the final guests to be allocated that bedroom, prior to the builders moving in - not that this knowledge helps you now, of course.

If you would consider a future stay in one of our 45 newly refurbished rooms then please contact me directly so I can extend to you every courtesy.
I hope I may be given the opportunity of demonstrating our usual high standards for your next visit.

Reviewed 24 October 2009

This was a relatively expensive 2 night break, which did not live up to expectations. The hotel overlooks Porthminster which is a really nice setting and an easy walk into St Ives. Views from the lounge and dining room were very good and these 2 rooms were well furnished and pleasant. We ate in the restaurant both nights and the meals and service were excellent.
The rest of the hotel felt very tired. The lobby was cramped and dingy. We paid extra for a sea view bedroom but the view was obscured by very dirty windows which had not been cleaned inside or outside for a long time. The room was in urgent need of refurbishment. The hotel is described as having a leisure centre. Well. there was a swimming pool but located in a very scruffy conservatory and no space around the pool to relax. There was a games room of sorts with an old table tennis table and pool table and was reminiscent of a 1950's youth club. This room also seemed to double as a storage room.
This was certainly not the high quality experience for the price we paid

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
PorthminsterManager, Manager at St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2009

Dear LilyandEdward

Thank you for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed the location, views, food and service. I am, however, extremely disapointed that you felt the rest of the hotel was tired.

As you will have read elsewhere we are undergoing some very large changes at the hotel with major refurbishments now fully underway. I do hope you may be able to join us in future when the works have been completed and the hotel is once again back to its former glories - please do get in touch with me directly should this be of interest so I can personally attend to your booking and ensure you are entirely delighted with your visit.

I hope we may be able to welcome you back to the hotel in future.

Reviewed 24 October 2009

Having stayed at this wonderfully located hotel overlooking the beautiful Cornish town of St Ives previously, we were looking forward to a comfortable room with friendly service. Our expectations were surpassed on this occasion! The Porthminster now has an excellent chef producing outstanding locally sourced meals at sensible prices, and the staff in the restaurant were all very pleasant and attentive. On chatting to one of the receptionists we were told that they are striving to achieve 4 star status and I wish them well - they are all working extremely hard towards that goal and I for one look forward to staying there again in the not too distant future.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple