“Nice sea views but rooms in need of spring clean”

The Atlantic Bay - Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #107 of 143 Restaurants in St Ives
Price range: US$10 - US$52
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Okehampton, United Kingdom
“Nice sea views but rooms in need of spring clean”
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful but the rooms were a little shabby and in need of a good clean (paintwork etc). There was plenty of drawers and hanging space and we had a lovely sea view. The bathroom was pretty cramped but adequate, mirror obviously meant for people 6" taller than me (5'1" so just got a view of my crown!). Shelf above sink at such an angle that nothing would stay on. Really Nice evening meal, I had bolognese which was excellent, but breakfast was dreadful, fried bread hash brownie and fried egg were really greasy. The staff were all excellent, really helpful and friendly. The hotel bar is currently being refurbished so hopefully they will look at refurbishing the rooms as well. Failing that a really good deep clean of walls and paintwork (doors especially ) would make a big improvement. Finally I would suggest taking eye masks because the curtains didn't shut out any light and my husband and I both woke around 6am each morning thinking we must have left the curtains open! I would like to say at least it was value for money as the room was only £75 per night, but this didn't include breakfast which put another £20 pn on the cost.

Visited June 2014

Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Great food, chilled atmopshere”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We came here for a ladies night on the eve before my wedding. Although Casa Ramano advertise more as a bar i couldn't of been happier. They went out of their way to fit us in and the food and wine was superb. It had a great relaxing atmosphere which is just as I wanted, nothing to formal. We all thoroughly enjoyed our evening.

Visited May 2014
Bournemouth
“Good and Bad”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed here at the weekend, with my sister and her partner and my partner, internet showed an amazing hotel. Room was lovely had the premium seaview, bar staff girls friendly and cheerful, ( I'm a restaurant manager, so I notice these things ) Had a mix up with rooms on arrival another guest had same name as me, no issue though but still had a bottle of proseco delivered to our room to say sorry :) The next morning I got woken by the a friend of the same name as mine trying to get into our room at 8am, receptionist had sent her to wrong room !!! Breakfast would of been loverly however I had mould on my toast :(, the next morning after spending the whole of the Saturday at my cousins wedding down in st Ives, we got woken up at 8am by the workman who are refurbishing the restaurant down stairs, so breakfast was noisy however very nice food this time, once the refurb has finished it will be loverly I'm sure as it already did look loverly, just a shame we stayed the weekend it started, J Smith

• Visited June 2014
Chester, United Kingdom
“THE BEST FOOD IN (NEAR) ST IVES!!!!”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

me and my wife stopped here on for a week on our honeymoon and had a fantastic stay! firstly I have to mention the food. it was excellent. Brian the chef cooks everything to order with fresh ingredients. honestly their pizzas are the best I have ever eaten, my wife agrees, and we are pizza conorsures! try the vusuvio, it looks as good as it tastes. also the romano special breakfast was delicious. I would of happily ate this every day. we was there for a week and ventured out around st ives for meals but often found ourselves eating here throughout the week as it was so good.
the atmosphere was great, nice and chilled and not too pretentious. the place is more bar serving food than restaurant so towards the weekend a few of the locals get in for drinks. they were all very friendly, as were the staff who looked after us and made us feel very welcome.
our room was nice with lots of space and was serviced to a high standard everyday.
overall a totally thoroughly enjoyable and excellent stay. my only regret was that I didn't get to sample the meatballs as they came highly recommended by one of the locals.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Susan W
“We keep going back!”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This is the third year we have eaten at Casa Romano, despite there being many delightful places to eat in St Ives we usually end up coming twice during our holiday!

The portions are large and the children (7&9) have started to share a children's pizza with a couple of side orders which is excellent value, more than enough but still leaves room for dessert.

I asked the chef if he could substitute the 'Gnocchi with prawn and courgette' for 'Risotto with Prawn and courgette' which was no problem and I can honestly say it was the nicest risotto I have ever tasted. The ribs and the garlic mushroom starters are also delicious.

Lovely atmosphere, really nice staff, the only slight criticism I would make is that the tables have seen better days and could maybe do with a cloth on them.

A great place for families in a great location with ample parking.

• Visited June 2014