“The Sheaf - not as good as previously”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Sheaf of Wheat - CLOSED

Sheaf of Wheat
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television
Glos
“The Sheaf - not as good as previously”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

We have been going to the Sheaf of Wheat for several years and in the past have always had good meals. However, on a visit in August we found the food service very slow and the food not as high standard as previously.

• Visited August 2012

Solih
“Not even Average!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2012

My girlfriend and I ate at the Sheaf of Wheat on 30.08.12. The pub appeared to be clean and tidy and the staff were certainly friendly. I had a pint of Tribute which was only average I’m afraid. My girlfriend had fish and chips, the small portion of fish had clearly just come straight from the freezer (which was a shame as you are only 5 minutes walk from the sea!) and was over cooked. My Chinese chicken in black bean sauce was really salty and the prawn crackers were swimming in cooking oil! I fully appreciated that at the prices you pay you can only expect pub grub but surely it isn’t difficult to serve decent pub grub. If the pub had been packed then that may have explained the poor food but it wasn’t busy. We certainly won’t be going there again.

• Visited August 2012
Falmouth, United Kingdom
“How difficult is it to cook a crumble?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

I live near the Sheaf of Wheat but hadn't been for several years when I took my family there for Sunday lunch a couple of weeks ago. I'd heard people say good things about it. Was I unfortunate enough to arrive on a bad day or are other people happy with totally mediocre food? I shall probably never know.

The carvery was fine. In that there was little to get excited about but nothing particularly wrong with it either. The meat portions were generous, the roast potatoes nice and crispy, but all the other veg tasted the same as each other, and with the same consistency - ie sloppy.

There was one home made pudding on the menu - a rhubarb crumble - the rest were bought in frozen things with swirly cream. I hate bought in frozen things with swirly cream. So I ordered the crumble. The rhubarb bit was fine, if a little sloppy, and it was just sweet enough. The problem was the crumble itself - it was almost completely raw. Uncooked. Like paste. Vile. You could tell just by looking at it - it had absolutely no colour to it at all - so I'm not sure why it was plonked on my table.

I didn't say anything because I couldn't be bothered. I went up to the till afterwards to pay, and waited for the lady to ask if my meal had been ok. She didn't. Undeterred I said that everything had been fine, by the way, apart from my uncooked crumble. She replied that she'd let the chef know. But didn't take anything off the bill, which made me laugh. I didn't say anything to her about that either, just resolved never to go to the Sheaf of Wheat again.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Sorus
Hayle, United Kingdom
“About as good as it gets”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

We have been a fan of the Sheaf for many years. In the winter they are allways packed,their Sunday lunch is superb and although small, they offer a menu second to none.

Well done folks, you are an example.

• Visited February 2012
“Great food, great place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012 via mobile

The sheaf of wheat is a place we go every year, for delicious home cooked food. Pay this place a visit .