“Avoid. Rude staff, terrible carvery!”
Review of Sheaf of Wheat - CLOSED

Sheaf of Wheat
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Saltash, England, United Kingdom
“Avoid. Rude staff, terrible carvery!”
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Came here for a Sunday carvery, the exterior for a start looked naff, ugly square building that looked dark and dull. And the inside was exactly the same. Not a good first impression.

We weren't greeted at all when we walked in, but were rudely asked in an abrupt manner by the guy who did the carvery 'have you booked?' Which we replied yes. He then continued tending to the carvery. How rude!

I looked at the meat and could see it looked dry, also the veggies looked like they had come
From a frozen packet. A member of staff came out with a jug of hot water and poured it over
The cabbage to
Soften it up so I guess it had been sat there a while! At this point I was tempted to walk out as I had a bad feeling about the place but was sure we wouldn't get in anywhere else on a Sunday lunch time.

The meat was, as expected, dry and tasteless and very tough. There was some odd thinly sliced
Potatoes in a weird grey watery sauce which was awful. All the veggies had no flavour at all, and the gravy was extremely thin and lacking in Flavour again!

We were sat eating when we caught sight of the carvery guy out in the beer garden having a
Cigarette, he then came back
In an handled the Yorkshire pudding without washing his hands! Horrendous!

Also as previously mentioned in other reviews, the card machine was 'down' so only cash was accepted. Pretty sure they're upto no good with this, possible tax dodgers!!! Yes the meal was cheap, but please save your hard earned cash and Do not come here! Next time we will try somewhere on the seafront like the Lifeboat Inn as that looked 100 times better!

Karinda T, Owner at Sheaf of Wheat, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank you all for your reviews. I have sat and read each one of them and i will address each of you. Firstly let me introduce myself. I'm Karinda one half of the new owners of the sheaf as of the 1st of july. i am originally from St Ives but have spent the last 19 years working on and running holiday parks around the country. i have also worked at the sheaf many years ago and i know how popular it has been and can be again. we promise that the issues and events that have occurred over the last few months while under short term management will not happen again. we are starting with fresh staff, and we will not only deliver good products but great customer service. we will be giving the place a face lift and introducing more entertainment. please check out our Facebook page the sheaf of wheat for deals specials and events.Thank you

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Good for beer... Not great for food!”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Ate in here on Monday night. Service was poor. Bar man/waiter took our orders and then delivered food to the table and asked if everybody had their food... Even though he had only handed 6 of 8 diners their food. Clearly 2 were still waiting. Cretin! Also didn't deliver the onion rings that were on menu as coming with the burgers and chicken burgers. When I asked him he said they were on the way. Then came out and asked why we thought we would be gettin onion rings. Had to point them out to him on the menu. Eventually went and got them... 10 mins after the rest of the food was put out. On a positive note... Great atmosphere when Freddie Zapp came on to do the karaoke and the main bar is good for families as there is a pool table, tv, darts and juke box. Will definitely be back for beers but prob not food.

Karinda T, Owner at Sheaf of Wheat, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank you all for your reviews. I have sat and read each one of them. Firstly let me introduce myself. I'm Karinda one half of the new owners of the sheaf as of the 1st of july. i am originally from St Ives but have spent the last 19 years working on and running holiday parks around the country. i have also worked at the sheaf many years ago and i know how popular it has been and can be again. we promise that the issues and events that have occurred over the last few months while under short term management will not happen again. we are starting with fresh staff, and we will not only deliver good products but great customer service. we will be giving the place a face lift and introducing more entertainment. please check out our Facebook page the sheaf of wheat for deals specials and events.Thank you

I hope that with the changes we will make you will consider retiring to us on your next visit.
Guildford, United Kingdom
“A comedy of errors.”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Sadly I can only give 1 star despite the main meal being OK and the bar staff doing their best. We got there and there was a sign on the counter saying their card reader had broken down, it must have been 'broken' for at least a month as the previous reviewer said it didn't work on his visit either. Then when we ordered our food the barman (who was very polite) couldn't find the correct button and ended up overcharging us by 50p - it wasn't his fault as the till price and the menu price were out of sync but it was still annoying. Once we sat down the barman told me they'd run out of haddock and asked if cod would be OK instead. Battered fish is battered fish to me so I wasn't that bothered but it was another error, and why didn't the kitchen let the bar staff know there was no haddock so they could change the chalk board? Then when our sides turned up - and THIS was the most frustrating thing - they were paltry. £2 for 2 wafer thin slices of garlic bread simply isn't on, they were mean on the onion rings too and they were a bit undercooked. The mains was reasonable and were a lot better value for money but everything else around it let it down. Finally when we came to pay they had accidentally added another table's drinks tab to our bill and it took them about 10 minutes to sort it out. The lady was very apologetic and tried to sort it quickly but perhaps a new system had got the better of her. It was a bit of a sad end to the week!

1 Thank Guildford_resident

Penzance, United Kingdom
“Not what it says on the tin”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I phoned ahead to check if early bird meal was available for that evening before 7pm. I was told that it was but when we arrived they said that they did not do the early bird menu after 2pm since new management had taken over. Previously this had been available until 7pm. I was not impressed by the new manageress. She was not concerned that we had been given the wrong information by her staff. The waiter was very helpful and friendly (unlike the new management). They also did not accept bankers cards as their machine had broken down. Very disappointing on the whole.

1 Thank albertcolin

Salisbury, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing Food”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

In previous trips had been to Sheaf and meals were never cooked properly, my friends had food poisoning. This time, when I heard it had new owners I gave it a try and so glad I did. the landlady and staff were friendly, nice atmosphere and the meal was fantastic not only was it cooked properly but it tasted wonderful and the presentation was really good and it was a good price. Would recommend to anyone. Big improvement.

• Visited April 2014