“Better than expected”

Ranked #19 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
“Better than expected”
Reviewed 21 April 2013

I booked the budget accomadation for myself and my daughter, and after having stayed at other holiday parks I wasnt expecting much. However on arrival I was pelasantly surprised. I was advised the pool was out of order, but could use the one at another park, a postcode was given for sat nav use, and I was also given good directions to the local Tesco.

The chalet I found to be roomy and well equipped for a budget. I even had a tv/dvd combi which I have never had at budget accomodation. Yes the paintwork and furniture could have done with updating, but it was clean and comfortable. I was also fortunate to be right next to the main complex (chalet 10) again a pleasant surprise for budget accomodation, which is usually at the far end of the park.

I found it pretty easy to get to most places from the park, as the area was well posted. All in all a good holiday for the price.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us such a lovely review.

Your comments have been passed to all departments, especially the housekeeping team, who will be delighted to hear your thoughts.

We really hope to see you again in the near future.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Greek first
plymouth
Reviewed 19 April 2013

just come back from st ives holiday village and wen i got there i though the park was basic i asked for a chalet close to the pool and club house cause my mate wife is 7 month pregant which we never got we was in chalet 202 right near the bottom wen we got in the chalet we though this was basic and outdated we got promised a dvd player but instead we got a video player the kitchen was the most modern thing in the chalet the bathroom was small and rancid there was a black oily stain in the bath the bedrooms was cold on a night they need to put more light down the walkway the pool need to be open all day not couple of hours and the same with shop a bit disapointed with the shop not selling the paper i allways read the arcade need 2 p machine the entainment team was good they was annoying with the bingo i am just a sore loser the beer prices are expensive

Room Tip: dont go chalet 202 if your pregant
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mike t
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at our holiday park. We certainly do not ignore any constructive criticism and perhaps there are some areas that could be improved in the interest of future guests.

Your comments have been passed on to all departments and we really hope that you will visit us again in the near future
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2013

My partner and I were booked in to stay in a Bronze woodland chalet from Monday this week for four nights. We stayed only one night before booking in to a nice B&B down the road for the remainder of our trip. Why? The chalet was very dated (not a problem in itself, but it was problematic in terms of wear and tear). It was musty, damp (mouldy in the bathroom), and in need of repairs in places. Thankfully we weren't using the twin room, which sported stained old mattresses. The double room mattress had a wipe-clean cover, (to avoid "accidents", I suppose), which didn't make for a comfortable night. The bathroom was damp, with torn wallpaper and mouldy patches and the toilet refused to properly flush even toilet paper. (To flush the loo, you also had to hold the lid on the cistern or it seemed it would fall off).
The bathroom sink also leaked extensively from the u-bend, leaving a grossly wet, slippery floor. The kitchen was the only part of the chalet that was acceptable, and was well-equipped with fridge and seemingly brand new oven.
However, I found the place too uncomfortable to stay in, and slept appallingly in the squeaky bed, so we checked out the next morning. Whilst sat in reception to use the internet to find other accommodation, we could easily hear staff complaining about other guests, which we considered rude and unprofessional. When checking out, the receptionist asked why we were leaving, and I politely told her our problems (bathroom, etc), which we did not feel she even really acknowledged. Having been a hotel receptionist myself in the past, I was expecting that she would make a note of the problems to rectify them with maintenance, but this just seemed to fit in with the whole park attitude that it isn't worth bothering. The fact we cut our stay short by 3 nights, I feel, is indicative of the quality of this place.

Room Tip: If you want a good room- stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robyn H
It was such a shame to read your remarks regarding your stay at our holiday park when many reviews are reflecting the improvements we have made at the park.

We are looking into your concerns in order that improvements may be made in the interest of future guests. Meanwhile, so that the issues can be investigated, I will be contacting you to discover precisely where you where staying.

Travellers are raving about these St Ives hotels

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Weve just got back from our holiday at this park, and had a wonderful time.
The staff were very friendly and helpful they made our holiday!
The chalet, which are old and tired but are perfectly fine (we stayed in a budget chalet)
They are certainly clean and tidy! and we only used the chalet to sleep in so was ideal.
the kids loved the table tennis but the playpark was rather small.
We experienced an unhappy customer talking to one member of staff, i felt really sorry for the staff member as she was trying her best to speak to the unhappy woman, The customer spoke to her so rudely it is hard to think how the staff can still be so happy and friendly when they have these sort of people to deal with.
We had a great time, we didnt eat in the restaurant so cannot comment.
the enetertainemtns team were friendly and the kids liked the games.
the pool was fine. The staff in the pool were very friendly and really took the time to make us feel welcome, the young lifeguard was so lovely! thankyou to her!
they had a problem with the electric but they quickly seemed to fix it.
my only bad point to the park is that it is a little far from places but on the plus side to this, you are in a wooded area and it is a quite site.
all in all we had a great holiday see you in september!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank georgiej206
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Thank you very much for leaving us such a fantastic review, we really appreciate it. Your comments have been passed to all departments.

We are extremely proud of all our staff this year, the effort they put in is amazing. They are doing a brilliant job, and work extremely hard to ensure everyone has a great holiday.

We simply do not understand why some people choose to be rude This is something that is on the increase generally, but our staff are trained to take it all in their stride.

Reviewed 6 April 2013

Have just got back from my second visit to the st Ives holiday village and I'm a bit disappointed.

Firstly the accommodation hasn't changed since my first visit in 2002 , apart from wear and tear obviously! Everything is old , tired and oddly damp...

The cafe menu is very basic and uninspiring. It's basically stuff with chips. The pizzas are very good but everything else looks and tastes very beige.

Also I hate to say this but the entertainment disappointed my gang. The resident team are fab and so hardworking but there just isn't any variety with the acts that are brought in - lots of singers and not much else. The only night they had the tiniest bit of variety was when a 'comedian' was up on stage. This man was the most outdated comedian I'd heard in ages - he made mother in law jokes , sexist jokes , dwarf jokes and a vaguely racist joke about Indian call centre staff. I couldn't believe what I was hearing and I judge John fowler parks for hiring him. Bloody awful.

Please bear in mind that the resident team are AMAZING though. They work hard and my kids loved them all.

One other niggle I had was that on the last day my gang and I wanted to eat breakfast before getting our train home. We arrived at the cafe in time for the breakfast period only to be told that the restaurant staff were not there and that no one knew why. A sign on the door would've been nice to be honest.

I don't want to end my review on a low so I will say that if JF get a better variety of entertainment brought in , refurbish their outdated damp chalets and put some salads and healthier kids meals on the cafe menu I would return.

St Ives is a beautiful place and with work this park would be an absolute joy.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Elizabethbenne
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us such a honest review.

As you probably noticed while you were there, the park is in the midst of a complete revamp - many of the old chalets are being replaced with up to the minute lodges. This is a huge investment and will naturally take a little while to complete.

With regard to the entertainment, this is very much a personal thing and we do not all enjoy the same thing. However, we certainly try to provide something for everyone.
Perranporth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2013

After reading some reviews of the park and the accommodation, my partner and I were a bit concerned about our holiday. As soon as we were arrived, there were friendly staff. We went to our chalet, which was a budget chalet and was really happy with it! More than we expected for the price we paid. It was nice and warm as the heater had already been put on and there wasn't much of a smell (as others have described) at all. There were a few niggley bits, like not being able to get into the fridge properly, etc.. We went to reception and they said they would ask for one of the maintenance team to see what they can do. Not expecting much, we slowly walked back to the chalet only to find the maintenance team member already there. Great service! The entertainment was great and overall feel of the park was fantastic with lovely woodland walks. As we don't drive, we were a bit concerned about actually getting into St Ives, however, the park have a deal with a taxi company which was really good and worked really well.

Of course there were a few niggley bits, but what do people expect? You're going to get something like that where ever you go.

Overall, we had a fantastic stay. If the budget chalet was good, I would love to see the inside of a gold! Thank you to all at John Fowler for a very enjoyable holiday! Will hopefully be back again some day!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sophie C
What a wonderful review, thank you, we really appreciate it.

Your praise will mean so much to the management and staff at the park. They all work extremely hard to make everyone’s stay enjoyable.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2013

we have just got back from a week in budget chalet 91 in this resort, we had a great time, although the chalet was cold it was clean and cosy, all the staff were more than helpful and attended to our needs, the entertainment staff were amazing and friendly, its close to many beautiful beaches and there's so many places to explore, we would definitely book again, thanks to all the staff that made our stay a very welcoming one :)

Room Tip: we were about half way down the site from the reception and entertainment area so didn't get eve...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
What a wonderful review, thank you, we really appreciate it.

We are extremely proud of our entertainments team this year, the effort they put in is amazing. They are all doing a brilliant job, and work extremely hard to ensure everyone has a great holiday.