“I would definately go again!!!”

St. Ives Holiday Village
Ranked #20 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
London, United Kingdom
“I would definately go again!!!”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I took my family down to Cornwall an stayed at the St Ives Holiday Village, for the bank holiday weekend, I have to say I was very anxious due to all the reviews I have read on here and being 7 and half months pregnant, but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised and found the accommodation clean an excellent condition. I did upgrade to silver so not sure if that makes a difference, but this was a holiday on with the Sun newspaper an would definately go again.

Unable to comment on the pool as did not have enough time to visit du to the weather being great this weekend, went to entertainment one night and the kids enjoyed themselves and that's what it's about.

So i just like to say thank you for great accommodation, I suppose I would only say a duster for the occasional cob web around the corners of the rooms, other to that I would definately come back, a family of five on average £26 per head for a three night break even if its just to sleep, entertainment and pool use, also the lovely surrounds of the forest - excellent value for money.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank LynObi
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
Thank you very much for leaving us such a fantastic 5 star review, we really appreciate it. Your comments have been passed onto all departments.

We simply do not understand why some people choose to post negative reviews, when all the staff work really hard to make everyone feel welcome. However, we are all individuals and we can all have vastly different opinions on the same subject.

We look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Greek first
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2013

We managed to get a chalet here through a deal on the John Fowler website. So paid £113 for a silver chalet, with two bedrooms, for 3 nights. When we arrived everything went well, the receptionist very helpful and showed us on a map where to find our chalet. The beds were made and smelt clean and fresh. The chalet maybe a little dated but perfectly adequate for the days we were there. There was a small kitchenette with microwave, teapot, jug and kettle, toaster and plenty of crockery, not sure about the saucepans and stuff, because we ate out in St. Ive's for our meals. A large bathroom, with shower over the bath, quite powerful and very useable. One bedroom had a double bed and i was in the bedroom with two single beds, suprisingly comfortable. We didn't smell any damp in our chalet and we kept all the heaters on while we were there, this didin't cost us any extra. We didn't use any of the facilities, i.e bar, pool or entertainment, so I can't comment on that. We thought it was good value for money. Also worth noting is there is a fixed rate for a taxi into St. Ives of £8, and considering how far it is, again it is good value. Not sure whether I would go back, but if the price was right, I would consider it.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank susan952
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this review, 3 May 2013
Thank you very much for leaving us such a fantastic 5 star review, we really appreciate it. Your comments have been passed on to all departments.

I feel sure that your observations on the chalet will be very helpful to future Tripadvisor readers.

We look forward to welcoming you again very soon.
Reviewed 2 May 2013

At this moment I am sat in the beer garden in the Cornish sun at the saint Ives holiday village.This is my second trip here with my family and again we have had a fantastic time.the staff work hard to ensure you have everything you need.got a warm welcome from reception,the grounds are spotless,the entertainment team worked hard with the kids(my kids love the foxy club)and my room which was a budget woodland was clean yes they are dated but fit for purpose.i have 2 rooms this year as there are 9 of us and like the room last year no damp no smells and everything works fine.this is a good park in beautiful part of England.go and enjoy this place like me and my family have for the last 2years.will be back same time next year.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Nbrown01
What a wonderful review, thank you, we really appreciate it.

Your praise will mean so much to the management and staff at the park. They all work extremely hard to make everyone’s stay enjoyable.

We hope to welcome you again very soon.
Devon
Reviewed 28 April 2013

By my title, I mean the accomodation. I have given two points on account of the staff (pleasant) the fact the chalet was clean and the location (lovely woodlands).

We got a deal with a national newspaper and got the budget accomodation. I just wish we had read the reviews here before we booked, as those chalets should come with a health warning. I can do basic accomodation and this is certainly no frills and very old fashioned. It would not be a problem if it wasn't for the smell! It was absolutely horrendous and I left the door open to air the place as I was unpacking the car to make it go but to no avail. I've seen one of the management's answers that stated that the place had to be aired. To be honest, no amount of airing will get rid of the smell because the chalets are just DAMP!

By the morning, we were absolutely freezing and everything felt damp, damp, damp. We had three heaters: one good one in the lounge, a noisy fan heater in our daughter's bedroom that thankfully worked and a useless glowing one in our room. However, putting the heating on didn't help, as we had a greenhouse effect... After two nights, I had a sore throat and my daughter a bad cough, so we decided to check out early.

I feel actually sorry for the staff who obviously work hard but there are some serious issues with management and marketing. Since the management is so diligent to respond to all reviews, they'll probably enlighten me as to how they make a profit with the kind of deals they offer. Surely, they can't break even with what we paid if you take into account the maintenance and cleaning required and the amount of electricity wasted to try and heat up single-glazed accomodation. If it is to entice a new customer base, it is pointless, as we will not return to any John Fowler resort on account of our poor experience. Would it not be better to give your first time customers better accommodation so they are tempted to come back?
Just because it is basic and cheap does not mean you can have your customers stay in substandard accommodation. Just visit any budget chain hotel and you will learn a lot about business.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Mythoslivethedream
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this review, 15 September 2013
When I first read this very poor review, I immediately tried to contact the writer through the Tripadvisor Messaging service to investigate the issues, discover why they had such poor holiday and see what we could do to help. Sadly, with all Tripadvisor reviews being anonymous it is impossible to make direct contact.

To date I have not received a reply to two such messages and can only assume that perhaps their stay was not as bad as they first indicated.

Travellers are raving about these St Ives hotels

Derbyshire
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Stayed here with my partner for 5 days, Monday - Friday. Having read previous reviews we were worried about the quality of the accommodation and knowing our usual levels of luck I half expected we may have to build our own chalet upon arrival!
I was suitably impressed, however! We were in the silver chalet, which we knew of from our confirmation letter and they did not disappoint.
When you come on to the site, there is a roundabout in front of you (which doesn't have road markings and as clearly confused people before as the owners have erected no entry signs on the right of each "junction" on to it! (They could just paint white lines and I think folks would understand it completely, but heh!)
Anyway, nit-picking aside - off the roundabout to the right are the facilities; these comprise of the usual entertainment - bar, amusements, games (table tennis), shop, reception and a swimming pool. The facilities all looked nice, clean, tidy and welcoming. The swimming pool itself was excellent, with a god sized main pool, a splash pool and a slide! The shop has all the basics, plus some extras, but comes with the usual high costs.
If you carry on up this road past the facilities, you can do a full circuit of the rest of the park. We did go for a wander round the site and saw some of the poor accommodations others have commented on. Some at the opposite side of the site to the main facilities in particular were unsavoury with serious wood rot in the windows and the single glass pane almost falling out. Those with issues which we saw were not double glazed and I think that may be the main problem. Obviously we couldn't go in any so were unable to comment on excessive mould etc, but I can say that aside from the window issues we spotted, the site itself is really nice and well maintained. Given that its situated in a wood it is faced with the obvious issues of nature trying to reclaim the buildings and there was evidence of climbing plants having been removed from the buildings and roofs cleared of all sorts which fell on them or tried to grow on them (moss). The roads and pathways to the chalets were equally well maintained.
As you carry on round this road it loops back to the main roundabout, which gives you ample opportunity to take in the variety of accommodations available! As well as the poorer (presumably bronze chalets) they have some rather posh looking two story lodges (as shown on the lead picture for tripadvisor). The chalets/lodges are all nicely spread out so you don't get a sense of claustrophobia. The site is on changing levels however, so watch out for bits of uneven terrain and slopes, in particular for those less mobile, but again we saw adapted housing with rails to doors etc.
The exit off the roundabout to the left leads to a cul-de-sac of silver chalets with ample parking for all. This is where we were situated and it was most pleasant. While the main road runs across the top of the site, we didn't hear it.

To get into our chalet you walk down a communal pathway then a path specific to your chalet branches of this. Our chalet was a 2 bedroomed silver chalet with double glazing (which may make all the difference in quality I think). You enter a double glazed door to the lounge/kitchen diner, which is one large space. There is a flat screen TV / DVD player (its the smallest TV in the world, but was surprisingly clear so lessened the impact!)
The kitchen is well stocked with all you'd expect including a can/bottle opener (though no grater!) and an electric cooker and hob, microwave, kettle, toaster, extractor fan and teapot! The cooker seemed to have two settings off or extra hot, despite the temperature controller, but we managed!
The living room had a two seater sofa and a single chair, but the dining suite and indeed the number of beds meant the chalet could sleep 4. My maths isn't great, but I am sure that leaves one person sitting on a dining chair if you happen to stay in for any long periods! The sofa was comfortable and (faux) leather so clean.
The twin room has two single beds a bedside table between them and a wardrobe. All adequate and well maintained.
The double bedroom has a double bed a bedside table and a wardrobe. The wardrobe also houses a brush, the boiler (in a separate cupboard above) and the electric in supply, which makes it a little busy, but heh! When you arrive you are told to turn the emersion heater on immediately so you have hot water for washing pots etc. Now the mattress was interesting. It is plastic covered (to protect against accidents no doubt) which is a good idea, but just be ready for a noisy sleep if you or your other half turn a lot! Ours seemed to have a dip in the middle too, so made for a slightly less comfortable nights sleep.
The bathroom was interestingly wood panelled! Very 70's Swedish sauna! but it served its purpose well. There is a loo and sink, both clean and in good condition. Then a shower with sliding doors at the corner, which I thought was funky (but then I don't get out much!) The water pressure was adequate and it is easy to get the temperature right as its a compact, nifty little electric shower unit. (told you I don't get out much!)
Weirdly, there are no sockets in either bedroom so all charging is down in the kitchen. There were also two sockets by the front door, but if you wanted to charge your phone for example its not ideal and as there is no table or shelf for items, but the sockets are a good 2 foot up the wall, it leaves cables stretched or items left unsafely!
There is also a small 2kw heater, which is useful if its colder and there were spare blankets in the second bedroom wardrobe.
There is also a bus service which takes visitors to various locations including all round Cornwall! (We didn't use it, but saw it a few times so it seemed relatively well serviced). It wasn't full of louts or raucous kids.
We stayed in chalet 250 and I can say that is a nice example of their chalets. The site itself is fine, after all it is largely meant to be a base from which to explore the area. We found it safe, secure, comfortable, pleasant and well maintained.

Room Tip: Stick with silver chalets or better!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this review, 24 April 2013
What an amazing and comprehensive review. Thank you, we really appreciate it.

Your 4 star praise will mean so much to the manager, Malcolm and his team at the park. They all work extremely hard to make everyone’s stay enjoyable. Thank you for so adequately describing our lovely woodland setting and all the advantages that go with it..

Do hurry back to see us again.
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2013

I booked the budget accomadation for myself and my daughter, and after having stayed at other holiday parks I wasnt expecting much. However on arrival I was pelasantly surprised. I was advised the pool was out of order, but could use the one at another park, a postcode was given for sat nav use, and I was also given good directions to the local Tesco.

The chalet I found to be roomy and well equipped for a budget. I even had a tv/dvd combi which I have never had at budget accomodation. Yes the paintwork and furniture could have done with updating, but it was clean and comfortable. I was also fortunate to be right next to the main complex (chalet 10) again a pleasant surprise for budget accomodation, which is usually at the far end of the park.

I found it pretty easy to get to most places from the park, as the area was well posted. All in all a good holiday for the price.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us such a lovely review.

Your comments have been passed to all departments, especially the housekeeping team, who will be delighted to hear your thoughts.

We really hope to see you again in the near future.
plymouth
Reviewed 19 April 2013

just come back from st ives holiday village and wen i got there i though the park was basic i asked for a chalet close to the pool and club house cause my mate wife is 7 month pregant which we never got we was in chalet 202 right near the bottom wen we got in the chalet we though this was basic and outdated we got promised a dvd player but instead we got a video player the kitchen was the most modern thing in the chalet the bathroom was small and rancid there was a black oily stain in the bath the bedrooms was cold on a night they need to put more light down the walkway the pool need to be open all day not couple of hours and the same with shop a bit disapointed with the shop not selling the paper i allways read the arcade need 2 p machine the entainment team was good they was annoying with the bingo i am just a sore loser the beer prices are expensive

Room Tip: dont go chalet 202 if your pregant
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mike t
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at our holiday park. We certainly do not ignore any constructive criticism and perhaps there are some areas that could be improved in the interest of future guests.

Your comments have been passed on to all departments and we really hope that you will visit us again in the near future