“Disgraceful accommodation...get watchdog in there!”

St. Ives Holiday Village
Ranked #20 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
“Disgraceful accommodation...get watchdog in there!”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Me and my partner booked into this site and were expecting basic accommodation (which would be absolutely fine having stayed in places like this before) and as soon as we walked into the "shack" we instantly realised we could not stay here. I honestly can't think of one nice/positive thing to say about the accommodation..dirty, grotty, dark, damp, looks like you could break into it with a light tug of the door/window, horrible dirty carpet and couch and I'm sure we even got bitten the 6 minutes we were actually in there! we moved to another site straight away which obviously cost more money. I really am expecting to see this site on watchdog or something! thank goodness we had no children with us as I'd have been mortified to bring them to such a place. have to stress Ive been on many budget holidays growing up etc and wasn't expecting luxury in any shape or form, but I would have rather stayed in my garden shed than here. Also the rest of the park is fairly grotty and depressing...didn't even look at the pool. I feel bad on families who have saved their well earned money to have a holiday here and have been unable to move which we luckily managed to do. did get a refund on the passes/linen which is appreciated but lost £60 to sun holidays and had to pay another £100 to move so was expensive in the end. in my
opinion at least the lower classed rooms should all be bulldozed

3 Thank AbsnM
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this review, 29 September 2013
It was such a shame to read your remarks regarding your stay at our holiday park.

However we do not ignore negative reviews and I will be contacting you to discover precisely where you where staying in order to carry out a full investigation.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2013

The bronze woodland chalets are really dated, dirty, dark and smelly. I would have complained but after such a long journey to get there all you want is a cuppa and to rest, so we just washed and cleaned everything and unpacked. We managed to stick it out for 5 days out of the 7 we had booked for. The family across from us stayed 7 out of the 14 days they had booked. The front door didn't fit there was an inch gap at the top and bottom. The bed smelt of damp, and the whole place was very shabby. The windows were old and most either didn't open or didn't shut. They were all covered in snail and slug tracks and my husband had to clean them so we could see out of them. I did complain with regard an ants nest outside our front door and in all fairness someone dealt with it straight away. After a family had left adjacent to our chalet a young girl entered, changed the sheets and left, she was in the chalet no more than 5 minutes. No body else entered until the new tenants at 4.00pm. We spoke to them and they said the place was filthy and there were slugs all over the walls and furniture, they left after 2 days. I also don't know why they charge for a dog as you cannot use any facilities with your dog. An area outside the club where you can at least sit and have a drink would be nice. The local beach in Lelant which you can take your dog on is brilliant and there is a pub called the waterwheel which you can take your dog to and sit inside. In general the wooded area is lovely, but take wellies, you may need them in your chalet.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank caalcon
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
When I first read this very poor review, I immediately tried to contact the writer through the Tripadvisor Messaging service to investigate the issues and to check its validity. Sadly, with all Tripadvisor reviews being anonymous, it is impossible to make direct contact.

To date I have not received a reply to two such messages and I am disappointed that I have not been given the opportunity to put things right.

Travellers are raving about these St Ives hotels

Reviewed 28 September 2013

My husband and I have just got back from a stay here. As we had done this through a sun holiday we expected it to be very basic, however this was beyond basic!

We checked into our first 'woodland chalet' which is actually a shed. In this room it was filthy. The entire place stank if damp, the bedroom had a huge damp patch on the ceiling, the bedding was dirty (which I had to pay £11 for) the windows had damp and mould around then and the chairs and beds were wet from the damp in the room. As I am 7 months pregnant there was no way I was staying in it. I went to the reception and explained the problem to the receptionist who responded with "give this room a go And see how you get on". She wasn't shocked by what I had said at all in fact it seemed normal!

We had to move to the next chalet and this was the same set up as previous one but was cleaner. It just been cleaned so smelt fresh. It seemed better. It wasn't a great standard - everything was really dated and there were a few damp patches in the bathroom. The blind in the kitchen was disgusting it was sticky and had lots of dead creatures on it!!! Our tv also didn't work, but we weren't that bothered.

The beds are shockingly uncomfortable and look like they are from the 70's!

The front doors on both the chalets were really flimsy and not secure. We didn't feel we could leave anything in the room because of this. It was also in really bad condition and should of been replaced years ago.

The pool never seemed to be open either.

The entertainment part was dated as well. The food was served with plastic cutlery and in polystyrene boxes! Not an ideal when you are on holiday - especially if you just want something cheap And cheerful. We ate out every night and never stayed in the camp as it was so depressing. Luckily the weather was pretty good.

I would never in a million years recommend anyone to stay here. It is simply a glorified shed which isn't maintained or at best kept clean. An absolute disgrace of a holiday park!!!! John fowler should be embarrassed by this park any normal company would be!

I am grateful it was a sun holiday, if I'd of paid the full price I would of been furious. Bad enough spending what it cost us to stay here!!!

Save your money and find another park!

2 Thank Kjpot
It was such a shame to read your remarks regarding your stay at our holiday park when most of our guests have a great time.

I shall be contacting you through the Tripadvisor messaging service and I feel sure that the matter will be settled to everyone’s satisfaction.
lancashire, England
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We have previously stayed in a budget chalet on a 'sun'hol which was basic but clean. This time we upgraded to silver trevacroft bungalow direct with John fowler (226), looking at reviews we didn't have high expectations. However, we were very happy with our accomodation and could not fault it. We needed an extra dining chair and they brought it immediately. The woodland walks are great for dogs, our dog loved looking at the rabbits and squirrels. Didn't use the club but looks ok, shop very nice. The site is ideal for touring the area esp st Ives and if you don't want to drive a bus calls at the site. Overall, a lovely holiday and would visit again. If you want 5* then you pay 5* prices. This is a good value holiday.

• Stayed September 2013
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Thank you very much for leaving us such a fantastic review, we really appreciate it. Your comments have been passed to all departments.

The park does not deserve poor reviews and thankfully they are few and far between. We simply do not understand why some people choose to post them, when all the staff work really hard to make everyone feel welcome, as you experienced. However, we are all individuals and we can all have vastly different opinions on the same subject and I suspect that if the writers of the poor reviews knew how their collective comments affected the jobs of ordinary Cornish people, they probably wouldn’t write them.

I am delighted to hear that you had a great time. Our returning customers are very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you again very soon.
LOWESTOFT UK
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We have just got home from 2 wks at St Ives Holiday Village, we loved it, so much so we have already booked to return next year. Our Oakleigh Silver Chalet was GR8 compact yes, very little storage/wardrobe space, a tiny bath with shower over, but spotlessly clean. We booked this in January 2013 largely because we have 2 dogs only little bichon frise's but we do like to take them on nice walks & this location was perfect for us. We met lots of people also dog owners, who go back year after year to this location, and in all honesty we can see why. We loved the wooded setting, watching the foxes, owls & hedgehogs at night, the numerous different birds during the day & the pretty bunny rabbits in the evenings, it was heaven for us, we could happily live there & we would if not for uprooting our whole family, because we couldn't go without them. Everyone we met was friendly & spoke which was lovely. The chalets are on the small side, but there are only the 2 of us & the doggies so it suited us perfectly. Larger one's are available for families, but not dogs sadly. We visited Porthkidney Sands on numerous occasions to let our dogs have a good run, accessed from the road at the side of the Badger PH drive up to the church & park for free, its a bit of a trek & not suitable for elderly or disabled but well worth the walk, we met 2/3 other dog owners there, again very friendly, the scenery is beautiful. You can park at Lelant Station for £2.50 for 24 hrs & pay £4 return fair to St Ives, dogs on leads only but very welcome, and again the scenery from the train is heaven on earth. Cornwall is truly dog friendly, restaurants/cafes, shops too, the rest of this country in particular seaside resorts could learn a lot from Cornwall's welcoming attitude, yes we loved it, yes, we're returning, and yes we highly recommend it especially to nature & dog lovers, everything you could possibly desire or want is close at hand, we are indeed very happy with our stay at SIHV :-) very happy indeed

Room Tip: We had an Oakleigh Silver it was as above, we would have liked a Gold or above but not possible with...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LOWESTOFTSMUDGER
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave your fantastic feedback; it’s always a pleasure receiving such positive comments.

We are very lucky with the location of our park in such a beautiful part of Cornwall and we are delighted that you were able to share that experience.

Once again let me thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to our park very soon.
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Booked here through the Sun holiday deal and was slightly apprehensive after reading some reviews, however chalet was relatively clean and tidy with reasonable kitchen facilities. Was a bit disappointed with the quality of the bed linen and if we went back again would take our own. Had everything we needed sofa, tv, kitchen facilities and dining table, we were close to the reception and shop which was handy. Had to leave early as our litle girl was ill but that was totally unrelated and we would have happily stayed had she been well. So close to St Ives and Penzance was perfect.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Chantel M

The park does not deserve poor reviews and thankfully they are few and far between. We simply do not understand why some people choose to post them, when all the staff work really hard to make everyone feel welcome. However, we are all individuals and we can all have vastly different opinions on the same subject and I suspect that if the few writers of the poor reviews knew how their collective comments affected the jobs of ordinary Cornish people, they probably wouldn’t have written them.

Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

To be fair after booking our Sun holiday here and reading the trip advisor reviews I was dreading it. We could no check in early as our chalet was not ready and to my horror I heard two other couples complaining about damp, smell, dog hair, my heart sank and I thought all the bad reviews were about to come true. We got out key at 4 pm and drove to our chalet. It was in a lovely location with only 3 others around it. We opened the door and while it was cold due to the windows being left open it was clean, tidy and on par with any other sun holiday location we have been to. We shut the windows, put the heater on and unpacked. With a couple of hours the place was toasty warm and we felt relaxed and happy. I can honestly say we would go back, we might look to go outside of a sun holiday to one of the nicer, more modern lodges but I certainly wouldn't be sad if it was one of our holiday choices and came up again. Yes it's dated but hey I don't mind that for the money we paid.

4 Thank Zpiatt
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this review, 22 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave your fantastic feedback. It is satisfying to hear that you had a great time on our park.

I have passed on your feedback on to the department managers so they can share this success with their teams.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.