“Can't believe they're allowed to let these so called holiday chalets!!! Never seen so much fifth.”

St. Ives Holiday Village
Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

Just managed 2nights out of the 3 paid for in this disgusting place,! We expected and were quite happy to have basic accommodation, we had our two dogs with us and our 2yr old granddaughter, plus my daughter and her fiancé, but basic wasn't the word for this hut.... Filthy, damp and in need of knocking down and being rebuilt, can't believe they actually take peoples hard earned holiday savings , and let them be disappointed . Where is your pride john fowlers ??? If you don't believe all these bad reviews then send someone in to look ! Everything to do with the accommodation is in need of a deep clean, windows are black, carpets are filthy, when we had the oven on the fire alarm kept going off so had to take the battery out, no one showered cause it was all so mucky we couldn't bear to. Took our granddaughter swimming, and the changing rooms were dirty too, and then even more disappointment! The water was cold so our granddaughter was freezing within 15 mins and wanted to get out. We reported all this to A lady on reception who shrugged her shoulders and said there were no complaint forms to be filled in but she could give us a 2014 brochure and the email address for the company should be somewhere in there,!!! Finally the clubhouse... Just as filthy, tables always sticky whatever time we went in be it day or night, food and rubbish left everywhere. Gutted that our family weekend was ruined and money wasted, never ever again !

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank wilf5
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

I was shocked to read your remarks regarding your stay at our holiday park. There are a number of very serious allegations in your review that need to be investigated at the highest level.

I am sorry that you have decided to remain anonymous and I have tried to contact you through the Tripadvisor messaging service to see what we could do to help, but your messages are blocked.

Perhaps you would like to contact our head office and leave your Identity for the Tripadvisor Guest Relations Manager. I feel sure that this whole episode can be settled to everyone's satisfaction.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

This is quite possibly the WORST place ever you could stay! The pictures advertised by them are most definately what you get - you get a damp, dirty, flea ridden shed! We paid a fair amount of money for our 3 night stay, however we lasted 2 nights. I got bitten within minutes of arriving and have returned home to find my dog covered in fleas, The windows dont shut and the door had a huge hole at the bottom of it, hence the reason for having rat traps behind the cupboards perhaps.Everything got damp and the furniture was not only filthy but ripped sofa, chairs and dirty marks (blood?) on the wall in bathroom walls meant that we spent as much time away from the place as possible. They take your money upfront and so after speaking to reception who told us to contact head office ( which they had no idea of contact details when asked!) there was no offer of any move. The sofa bed had some foreign stains, pillows and bedding were filthy. When walking around there was bedding from the sheds that people had vacated dumped on the floor outside in the mud/grass. All in all not a pleasant experience and feel that it is in need of a revamp and for someone senior to visit!!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Minnie51084
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

I am sorry that you have decided to remain anonymous, however, I will be contacting you through the Tripadvisor messaging service to discover precisely where you where staying and see what went wrong with your holiday.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

I will start by saying i was initially worried about the accomodation after reading the reviews on here. The accomodation was not as bad as feared. Yes it is VERY dated but it was manageable. The living room is spacious , clean and the two bedrooms adequte. The kitchen was well stocked, however we only cooked breakfast. The bathroom was a bit minging but again; shower, wash and leave!. The whole place does have a damp smell, which was eliviated by leaving windows open during the day- there are heaters in every room which heat the place quickly. The settees and chairs are uncomfortable. My Wife and I were only staying for a £9.50 sun holiday weekend and only stayed for 2 out of the 3 nights due to work. Took our own bedding as this is more hygenic and preferable to us. The Matresses are the kind that are covered in plastic for hygiene !!! very slippy, but we used a quilt under the sheet to make more bearable. The 'club' is at best DEPRESSING, went in to sign my keys back and there is an overwelming stench of council bleach , dated decor and minimal lighting. didnt go in the evening. The swimming pool is opened for like 3 hours a day! To conclude this place is best used as a short break; Don't arrive expecting to step into the place and not leave until a week later having had a thoroughly entertaining holiday!. Would I stay here again? no. would I recommend? no, however go there with an open mind , expect the worst and you wont be dissapointed !!

Room Tip: Expect the worst and it can only get better
1  Thank Burnsbys

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at our holiday park.

With regard to the damp smell we are well aware of the reason but it is so frustrating for us. Sadly, some people will occupy a holiday unit and not open a window for the duration of their stay. Cooking and sleeping with windows closed will slowly take its toll - especially in Devon and Cornwall where the atmosphere is usually so much more humid than most people are used to. I think we all know what happens when a property is not regularly aired. I am pleased to read that you were aware of this problem immediately and dealt with it.

With regard to the accommodation, no doubt you noticed that the park is in the midst of a complete rebuild. Many of the older chalets are being demolished and replaced with fantastic new lodges. As you will appreciate, such a massive investment does not happen overnight.

We really hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

We stayed in:

4 Berth Trevacroft, Silver Rating Chalet 193

There are a few reasons for why you should avoid staying here:

- It smelt repulsive
- The whole chalet was damp
- Bed was wet
- Mildew on the sofa, walls
- Cutlery was filthy
- The shower curtain on the window didn't fit which offered Zero privacy

We couldn't even check in til 4pm which made us wonder what on earth they were doing til then, certainly not cleaning.

Total disgrace, never would I book a John Fowler holiday or let anyone I know to book one.... The condition of the place is described nearly in the name.

3  Thank AlexD1716BN
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

It is rare to get a poor review on this type of accommdation and we need to find out why your experience was so different.

I wonder if you told the park manager or head office of your displeasure while you were there, it is always so difficult to deal with the issues after you have returned home. It is so much easier to deal with the problems while you are on the park – you could be moved to alternative accommodation or to another park. If you were unhappy with anything, tell the manager – there is no need to “grin and bear” it on a John Fowler Holiday.

However, it may be difficult to deal with after you have gone home, but not impossible and I will be contacting you through the Tripadvisor messaging service to see what we can do to help.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

After reading some of the comments from other guests we were sceptical about staying. We booked through hoseasons, and found the staff were helpful and pleasant and the accommodation was clean and for what we paid we were more than happy. Having said that we were glad we took our own quilt and pillows. We used this as a base for touring Cornwall and it was central for all we wanted to do. We will go again and recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave your fantastic review. It is satisfying to hear that you had a great time on our park.

I have passed on your feedback on to the department managers so they can share this success with their teams.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

Me and my partner booked into this site and were expecting basic accommodation (which would be absolutely fine having stayed in places like this before) and as soon as we walked into the "shack" we instantly realised we could not stay here. I honestly can't think of one nice/positive thing to say about the accommodation..dirty, grotty, dark, damp, looks like you could break into it with a light tug of the door/window, horrible dirty carpet and couch and I'm sure we even got bitten the 6 minutes we were actually in there! we moved to another site straight away which obviously cost more money. I really am expecting to see this site on watchdog or something! thank goodness we had no children with us as I'd have been mortified to bring them to such a place. have to stress Ive been on many budget holidays growing up etc and wasn't expecting luxury in any shape or form, but I would have rather stayed in my garden shed than here. Also the rest of the park is fairly grotty and depressing...didn't even look at the pool. I feel bad on families who have saved their well earned money to have a holiday here and have been unable to move which we luckily managed to do. did get a refund on the passes/linen which is appreciated but lost £60 to sun holidays and had to pay another £100 to move so was expensive in the end. in my
opinion at least the lower classed rooms should all be bulldozed

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank AbsnM
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2013

It was such a shame to read your remarks regarding your stay at our holiday park.

However we do not ignore negative reviews and I will be contacting you to discover precisely where you where staying in order to carry out a full investigation.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

The bronze woodland chalets are really dated, dirty, dark and smelly. I would have complained but after such a long journey to get there all you want is a cuppa and to rest, so we just washed and cleaned everything and unpacked. We managed to stick it out for 5 days out of the 7 we had booked for. The family across from us stayed 7 out of the 14 days they had booked. The front door didn't fit there was an inch gap at the top and bottom. The bed smelt of damp, and the whole place was very shabby. The windows were old and most either didn't open or didn't shut. They were all covered in snail and slug tracks and my husband had to clean them so we could see out of them. I did complain with regard an ants nest outside our front door and in all fairness someone dealt with it straight away. After a family had left adjacent to our chalet a young girl entered, changed the sheets and left, she was in the chalet no more than 5 minutes. No body else entered until the new tenants at 4.00pm. We spoke to them and they said the place was filthy and there were slugs all over the walls and furniture, they left after 2 days. I also don't know why they charge for a dog as you cannot use any facilities with your dog. An area outside the club where you can at least sit and have a drink would be nice. The local beach in Lelant which you can take your dog on is brilliant and there is a pub called the waterwheel which you can take your dog to and sit inside. In general the wooded area is lovely, but take wellies, you may need them in your chalet.

2  Thank caalcon
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

When I first read this very poor review, I immediately tried to contact the writer through the Tripadvisor Messaging service to investigate the issues and to check its validity. Sadly, with all Tripadvisor reviews being anonymous, it is impossible to make direct contact.

To date I have not received a reply to two such messages and I am disappointed that I have not been given the opportunity to put things right.