“Poppy's cottage” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Penarth, United Kingdom
“Poppy's cottage”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

I have just stayed at this lovely cottage for a short break with a friend, and I can't recommend this accommodation enough. A living room equipped with large TV, games, books,dvd's and the comfiest sofa to curl up on after busy days of sightseeing and walking, a kitchen equipped with everything you need and a nice table to sit and eat your meals. Two bedrooms, one double, one with two singles, (tv's in both) and a lovely shower room in between.
The cottage is set in woodlands and nice and peaceful, there is a woodland walk just down the road, and outside the cottage is a bench and table to sit and enjoy the peace and quiet.
The park and cottage are well located for all the beautiful beaches, stunning scenery and wonderful walks that this part of Cornwall offers.
Judging by the comments in the visitors book, I am not the first person to love Poppy's Cottage and Cornwall and to intend visiting again. The owners have really made this a delightful holiday cottage - a real pleasurable trip

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sue H
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Hello Susan

What a wonderful review, thank you, we really appreciate it. Your praise will mean so much to the management and staff at the park.

Whether you book direct with us or through one of the many privately owned bungalows and villas on the park, all clients are treated the same and our staff work hard to ensure that everyone has a great time.

We hope to welcome you again very soon.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Christchurch, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

We booked with the Sun Holidays and upgraded. All the 'huts' are the same.
Left two days early, walls at night were wet with damp, smelly and dog poo on the grass outside our hut.
Slide was closed, life guards had there back to pool. Showers where cold.
We complained but where told our 'hut' was owned privately, so nothing they could do - they sub let.
The play side was broken all week :(
Have emailed company twice - no response.
The kids club was enjoyed by
the kids, but was mid informed about the breakfast club.... Bar staff spent most time talking to there friends.
As the Sun holidays are running again .... Do not book this one.
On the bright side St Ives itself is great.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank tinkerbell76740910
Hello Tinkerbell

I was shocked to read your remarks regarding your stay at our holiday park. There are a number of very serious items in your review that will certainly not be ignored.

As you are aware we contacted you immediately you posted your review and I feel sure that the matter will be settled to everyone’s satisfaction.

Travellers are raving about these St Ives hotels

Okehampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

I visited last year as an 'upgrade' as a booking through an external travel agent went wrong so they booked us in here last minute.

Check in takes a while as the site is busy. Allow for this but they happily let you leave your bags and head off to explore until it is quieter if you wish. A really helpful info pack is given on arrival but there are not enough staff to help move your bags. I arrived by train with three small children and had hell getting everything to the little unit we were given which was at the very edge of the site far away from everything.

The unit itself was basic and I hated it at first. Really hated it. Damp smelling and sheets all felt damp and old. The kids could not use the little seating areas and gardens at the back of the units as they were three feet deep in masses of brambles. I actually cried at this point as there was nowhere safe for my toddler and the older two to play safetly, brambles and nettles everywhere. We were about as far as I suspect you can get from everything. The bed was kind of hardboard on a fixed base with the most ancient and horrendous mattress I have ever slept on.

The cot arrived but they could not help put it up as it is against their health and safety rules, it was broken anyway. My son slept with me in the end. You pay a £10 deposit to hire towels. I was given the oldest, greyest excuse for towels you can imagine. Horrid.

The food was awful - just junk food and nothing else. Tesco is a short bus ride away and I got a taxi home and stocked up. Carbis Bay. The food was just pizza, burgers and chips oh and I think lasagne. The 'extensive' menu was not in operation. This was Aug last year. I will not pay stupid prices for rubbishy food.

So, all the above, how could I say I loved it?

The staff make this place. The kids entertainers are fab, all three of my children loved them to bits. All day everyday if they wished they could be doing activities (making choc crispy cakes was amusing) and then ending the afternoon by lobbing sponges loaded with water at the poor staff? Priceless. The evening kids club before the bingo (yes, I went to bingo - twice), was fab. Music far too loud and cheesy dancing, kids happy faces everywhere. After this, I left each night and we went for a walk.

It freaks me out that people get drunk in front of their kids, I saw a bit of this but less than I expected. It did worry me that people had absolutely no idea what their kids were up to at times, they just sat in the club while the kids were outside or elsewhere - I twice had to ask a group of kids not to try and damage the play equipment deliberately and not to smoke in the playground. The staff were too busy to get to tell as by the time the queue would have gone down to report it the kids would have long gone.

My kids faces are why I loved it. They were happy, safe with the kids entertainers (on one day they let me leave two of them there so I could do some washing). It is convenient to get to Marazion, Penzance and St Ives on a good regular bus service which is better than driving to those places anyway given the high parking charges.

The receptionists were great, given that I had not been meant to be staying there (I had booked elsewhere with an agent who at the last minute 'upgraded' me to St Ives Holiday Village). They also dealt with my shock of being in a holiday park pretty well because I was horrified.

Would I go back? Yep. In a flash if it was not so ridiculously expensive for such low quality accommodation. My kids had their idea of a dream holiday. The lodge thingy had everything we needed, albeit dated and damp at first. My idea of hell, kids idea of heaven. I would love to get a list of privately owned chalets as they seemed so much nicer than the one we were in. Some actually looked really nice.

A real shame the kids could not play in the garden of the chalet we had, there were little seats etc amid the brambles but totally impossible to get to but on the plus side we did make lots of blackberry and apple muffins.

As holiday parks go, I suspect this is average. Better than my only other experience of a holiday park ten years ago!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Hello Becky

Once again our entertainments team have been singled out for extra praise and there is no doubt that they deserve it. They all do a brilliant job each year and work extremely hard to ensure everyone has a great holiday.

With regard to the cot, I am sorry that you were treated so badly. The manager has always preferred his staff to assemble cots and I hope the particular “jobsworth” individual who quoted “health and safety” no longer works for the company.

Our returning customers are so important to us and regularly make up 50% of our visitors and we look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed at Poppy's at the St Ives Holiday Village in November 2013. Poppy's is a 2 bedroom chalet finished to a high standard, in particular the kitchen and bathroom which are very modern. We particularly liked having tvs in every room to cater for all tastes. We travelled as a family, including our labrador, who thoroughly enjoyed the walks in the surrounding forest and the nearby beaches and Poppy's catered for our every need.

The location is very convenient for Carbis Bay and St Ives which we would recommend visiting as well as the nearby town of Penzance. Also nearby is Becks fish and chip shop one of the best we have tasted in the area.

Overall we had an excellent family break at Poppy's, having visited Cornwall numerous times, and would not hesitate in recommeding this chalet as a place to stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lisa799
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this review, 27 January 2014

Whether you book direct with us or through one of the many privately owned villas on the park, all clients are treated the same and our staff work hard to ensure that everyone has a great time.

We hope to welcome you again very soon.
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

We arrived to the cottage and were astounded at how nice it was, we loved the décor of it and the minimalistic touches like a little St Ives picture and the beach theme throughout. It had 2 radiators which were warm however we brought a fan heater as we found it circulated the air more (drying things like towels and coats!) However after a couple of rainy days to two outside walls (in which both have beds against) started to become damp. Not a huge issue however if it were fixed, the trip would have been perfect. St Ives is a beautiful place to visit, we were very lucky with weather and enjoyed every day so much. Definitely think everyone should go.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave your fantastic feedback; it’s always a pleasure receiving such positive comments.

We do take great pride in all grades of accommodation and it’s brilliant that this isn’t going unnoticed. All comments will be passed on to our Housekeeper and the team.

We are very lucky with the location of our park in such a beautiful part of Cornwall and we are delighted that you were able to share that experience.

Let me thank you again for taking the time to leave this lovely review and we look forward to welcoming you back to our park very soon.
Verwood, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

We were worried before our arrival after reading numerous reviews on this site but after emailing john fowler holidays we kept an open mind .
Check in..great , nice greeting and full info pack on the local attractions and what was available on site.
Arriving at chalet....chalet parking numbers overgrown on trees and could not find chalet for 10 mins , parking areas not very well marked and not lit at all, path to chalet was covered in wet leaves and very slipperry on a downhill slope ( chalet 193 , fyi john fowler ) .
Entering chalet....very strong smell of damp and lots of condensation on windows , but after putting the heaters on this soon altered ( anywhere that is not used for a while in the middle of the woods is going to feel damp ) it would of been nice that chalets that were booked out were, warmed up for arriving guests ( hint,hint , john fowler ).
Entertainment ....brilliant (for kids ) , we have 2 boys aged 8 and 2 who loved every night , great team who certainly keep the kids happy.....not so good for the adults..mediocre acts for 3 nights( maybe the wrong time of year for decent acts to be paid ) and mainly based on keeping adults happy with bingo , dont waste your money on the little extras that are sold or offered for big prizes , because they never appear ( poundshop prizes ).
Food....menu's were on the table on the first night on the table's advertising bar snacks , take away and sit in food , however as we discovered to our great disappointment the kitchen is franchised..be warned ..this is what happened to us......we ordered food to take away on our first night , it was ok , on the sunday night it was announced that the kitchen was closing early (10pm) it is advertised that food is available until 11pm, on Monday we went to order food at 10.10pm to take away only to be told that the kitchen had shut at 9.30pm, this is when the barman notified us that the kitchen was nothing to do with them ( while flicking through the tv channels to find the football scores ) it is a franchise. I complained the next morning to the Duty Manager????
I made sure everyday after that with the kitchen that we were notified of what time it was going to close because the last thing you want to do is cook in a chalet in that condition.
We did not see any sign of major improvements being made to the site , even the basics of clearing paths ect took 5 days , and dont even bother with the pool , no room to change in the changing room , no lockers and no hot water in pool showers.
Entertainment crew and barstaff ....10/10
Management, maintenance and kitchen take a good look at yourself and think , am I in the right job.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Alec P
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at our holiday park. We certainly do not ignore any constructive criticism and perhaps there are some areas that could be improved in the interest of future guests.

I am really surprised that you did not see that many of the older chalets are being demolished and replaced with fantastic new lodges. After several years of waiting for planning permission, 5 have appeared in the past couple of months and we have just obtained clearance for a further 36. As you will appreciate, such a massive investment does not happen overnight.

Your comments have been passed on to all departments and we really hope that you will visit us again in the near future
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Yet another great two weeks spent at st Ives.accommodation was excellent as always but we do have the same challet every year.staff were great as allways.The life guard amy was lovely as always.The stripeys were great and the entertainment Friday evening was so funny hope you have him back next year.(can't remember his name).We booked for next year before we left again.met some lovely people and had a good rest.Well done st Ives.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Thank you very much for leaving us such a fantastic 5 star review, we really appreciate it. Your comments have been passed on to all departments.

Once again our entertainments team have been singled out for extra praise and there is no doubt that they deserve it. They are all doing a brilliant job this year and work extremely hard to ensure everyone has a great holiday.