Our recent break was our third stay with John Fowler Holiday Park at St Ives, We enjoyed our previous stays and were able to put up with the dated decor of the chalets, However on this occasion I feel compelled to write a review to give people the opportunity to make an informed choice as to whether to waste their hard earned money at St Ives Holiday Village. The accommodation which we stayed in was a silver chalet, This is a laughable misuse of words, having stayed before we knew full well the accommodation would look like an ill cared for garden shed but were not prepared for the lingering smell of stale cigarette smoke and sweat that we were met by when opening the door to our "Silver Chalet". A quick trip to a supermarket to purchase some scented candles and deodorising spray was required and this helped to cover the lingering stench. On closing the door it was apparent that the privacy screen on the window of the door had been peeled back and was now cleverly repaired with the use of sellotape, This had the added advantage of sticking bugs/flies to the door making an added attraction to look at throughout the holiday. Cobwebs adorned the ceiling especially above the kitchen area and the cord for the light switch had, it appears, never been wiped and was now growing its own variety of organisms. Our accommodation catered for four people however there was a single fabric chair and a two seater leather effect sofa which was a minor annoyance as someone would have to sit on the floor or at the dining table. We used the parks indoor swimming pool on two occasions throughout our weeks stay, the first occasion on returning to the changing rooms to shower the showers were ice cold. The second occasion we were asked to leave the pool shortly after getting in as somebody had passed stool in the pool, Not the fault of the holiday park obviously, but were told to have a good shower by the pool staff, this was difficult as again the showers were freezing cold, after asking the pool attendant if there was any hot water to shower with the females were advised to shower in the male changing room which was again ice cold. Any chance of washing parasites off our children were reduced as showering them in ice cold water is a difficult feat. On the fifth night of the holiday we were unable to get much sleep as we were kept awake by a gnawing and scratching sound coming from within the bedroom wall. We then decided to leave prematurely as we did not want a repeat of the wood munching fest in our bedroom and also our daughter had started vomiting uncontrollably possibly due to the pool incident. Please when reading this do not confuse St Ives holiday village with St Ives itself which is just stunning. The beaches are beautiful and the quaint shops are delightful. We will definitely be visiting St Ives again just staying at alternative accommodation. Looking at the pictures of other reviews against the management pictures provided on this site shows a drastic contrast, we were astounded that the entertainment bar was, on a half term week, empty. At most we counted only seven tables used. The entertainment staff continued on as best they could and were very professional and exceptionally friendly. We have visited previously a while ago admittedly but our experience on this occasion has ensured we never stay in a John Fowler Holiday Park again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our St Ives Holiday Village is set in over a hundred acres of woodland, making the whole park a gorgeous, relaxing place. As for facilities, St Ives Holiday Village has everything you could want during a Cornwall holiday. You won’t have to worry about the kids getting bored with our games room, featuring a pool table and all the latest video games. We also have a children’s play area just for kids, and you can let them swim in our large indoor heated pool without worry as we always have life guards on duty.In the evenings, you’re welcome to enjoy the nightly entertainment we offer at The Rafters Club, our very own club where we put on dancing, discos, competitions and more! You can also order you and your family some pub grub or get a takeaway. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and PitchUp so you can book your St. Ives Holiday Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St. Ives Holiday Village Hotel St Ives
- St. Ives Holiday Village St Ives, Cornwall