“Quite probably the worst holiday park in the UK”

St. Ives Holiday Village
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Having visited for 3 days with friends and family with some concern after reading reviews it was exactly as reported.

The accommodation small shacks, facilities on the park terrible.

The 'children's' park had no child swings, run down and in need of restoration.

The games arcade full of adult gamblimg machines with barely anything for kids.

The restaurant serving poorly cooked food (excluding pizza) that looked like it came from tin cans.

But the most appalling thing - electrical wires sticking out from the ground where they were removing old cabins and putting in very expensive new ones (see my photo of these wires)

DO NOT VISIT THIS PARK!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank alan_meyrick

Reviewed 12 May 2014

As with other reviewers, we were a bit worried about where we had booked through the Sun newspaper system, having read some horrific reviews. I think you have to relate what you get with what you pay. The accommodation was basic and dated but acceptably clean. Its position in the woodland was quiet. We wanted a base for touring the area and it served its purpose. If you want to have all your holiday on site, I can imagine it might not suit everybody.
The staff throughout were helpful and enthusiastic. For the children, the 'stripeys' were much more enthusiastic than their counterparts on other better known resorts we have visited. The bar area was well laid out but we accept that it is difficult to operate nightly entertainment when there are only a few adults and a couple of kids. Given the lack of singing and comic ability of the inhouse entertainment, the site might be better just leaving the bar as a place for a drink when there are no guest entertainers appearing, outside of school holidays.

p.s. - Is the smell of bleach mentioned by several others a mandatory feature to give the impression that serious cleaning has been performed?

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Uppermilden
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Hello Uppermilden

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at our holiday park.

No doubt you noticed that the park is in the midst of a complete rebuild. Many of the older chalets are being demolished and replaced with fantastic new lodges. As you will appreciate, such a massive investment does not happen overnight.

With regard to the entertainment, as you can read in other reviews, most people love it, but we are all individuals and all have different opinions on the same subject.

I would hope that you would come back to see us again soon.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Having just returned from a 3 night stay, I feel compelled to write this review in the hope that someone at John Fowler Holidays will take a moral stand and stop letting out the sub standard accommodation that is offered at the St Ives Holiday Village.
After a very long drive we arrived to a warm efficient welcome and I was optimistic that our standard accommodation would be of a similar standard to all the other standard accommodation we have stayed it a many other parks via the sun holiday scheme and that the poor reviews i read were just from fussy people.
How wrong could i have been. On entering the accommodation in a run down area of the site, number 89, i was horrified! The kitchen was damp, dirty and out of another era, the beds, bedrooms and bedding were damp, the bathroom was damp, dirty and tiny with the tiniest sink you could imagine and the living room was damp, dirty and had a sofa that sank when sat in and a chair that had the greasiest most disgusting arms that no one would ever want to sit in. After a stunned amazed silence from my daughter and myself we made our way to reception knowing we could not possibly stay in such accommodation. Please do not read this and think I am exaggerating and fussy. This is not the case. It was just totally substandard!! Not standard as had been stated!!
I politely told the reception staff that the accommodation we had been given was not acceptable to me and was given the option to upgrade to a silver chalet, for an additional payment of £40.00. I was able to check out the silver chalet before i paid, which was appreciated and it was acceptable, although still not even up to the standard accommodation that we have stayed in at all the other holiday parks we have stayed.
I explained to reception that i did not think i should have to pay the £40.00 extra just to move from sub standard accommodation, (that should never be let out to anyone for free never mind asking someone to pay for it), to acceptable accommodation. This was relayed to the manager, who did not bother to come out of the back office to speak to me, and sent the receptionist back to relay "terms and conditions of the sun holidays ,,,,,"
As we had had an exhausting 7hr journey and we were only staying 3 nights i paid the money and made the best of it. (ie spent most of my times in St Ives itself)
The silver chalet, number 295, had had a token amount of modernisation, including a paint job and double glazing. It had been cleaned although i still needed to clean all the crockery and cutlery before i used it (I dont normally feel i have to do this). and pop to get some disinfectant wipes from tesco! The double bed was tiny. The shower head was weak and didnt look too hygienic. (i could not bring myself to use it - again not normally the case), The cupboards in the kitchen and bedrooms all smelt very damp and were not particularly clean and i refused to put anything in them. My clothes all stayed happily in their suitcase. There was only comfy seating for 3 (didnt matter for us) but thought it a little odd for a 4 berth chalet.
It is a shame that what could be such a lovely site in undoubtedly a beautiful area has got into this state.
I am glad that some people obviously have had better accommodation than we experienced but please everyone beware there are definitely some horrid unacceptable chalets on this site.
To preempt the customer relations manager - yes i did raise my concerns at the time - and no I am not a fussy person with unreal expectations - and yes I did only pay a modest amount but i have never been disappointed anywhere else i have stayed for the same amount!

Room Tip: Never pay to stay in the standard accommodation
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Carolyn W
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Hello Carolyn

Thankfully nowadays, poor reviews are few and far between and we have the satisfaction of knowing that last year well over 50,000 families enjoyed a John Fowler Holiday at our 14 holiday parks.

Nevertheless, occasionally we let a customer down and it is imperative that we make a full investigation into what went wrong for the benefit of future guests.

I shall be contacting you shortly and I feel sure that the matter will be settled to everyone’s satisfaction.

Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

Apprehension after reading trip advisor reviews proved to be true.
This site is outdated. In need of serious redevelopment and to be fair this is in it's early stages with impressive lodges.
We stayed in a two bed lodge which when we walked in smelt clean of bleach. As the week has gone on the damp smell which I've read about has come through. The lodge is old and the decor is old fashioned.
However we have paid hardly anything for this stay and cannot complain.
Swimming pool good but water cold.
Cannot speak about the entertainment as we did not pay for passes.
In a year or so's time this site could be great. We probably would not return as it is.

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank cspanks

Thank you for mentioning the fact that the park is in the midst of a total refit, but I feel I must clarify one small point for the benefit of anyone reading your review. There are no "Old" lodges on the park. The accommodation you stayed in was advertised as a chalet, some of which are clearly marked in our brochure and on our website as "due for replacement or refurbishment"

We really hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Omg! Second time I've been here just got back home, and I loved every Minuit of it via my hangovers :-/(own fault) it's a brilliant site for all ages I'm 28 and my uncle is 84 friends 52 and 69, we all loved it!!!! Will defo be going back that bar is great food is brill! And site is very well maintained best park I've stopped on!!!!! Thank you ALL FOR A GREAT Hoilday!!!!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Gemmacurbo
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Hello Gemma

What a wonderful review, thank you, we really appreciate it. We try our best to cater for all age groups and your review shows that we are getting it right.

Your praise will mean so much to the management and staff at the park. They all work extremely hard to make everyone’s stay enjoyable.

We hope to welcome you again very soon.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

We booked very late, on Tuesday going on Good Friday, having read the reviews I was a little apprehensive! I needn't have worried, from the moment we arrived to the very last goodbye the whole week was fab.
We used the chalet as a base to venture out and explore wonderful Cornwall and my little dog loved the wooded walks, the staff, right from the maintenance guys to the young man who manned Chefs Corner to Aaron and his fab team in Rafters to all the Stripeys were areal pleasure to deal with, nothing was ever too much, my wifes only gripe was no broom to sweep the leaves out, but hey I can live with that.
Criss and his team kept everybody happy each night, I even had a win at bingo!!!!
I will definitely be going back here again as I enjoyed the whole time

WELL DONE TO ALL

Room Tip: Only issue I had was the distance from the Club, my wife has mobility issues so get a chalet close t...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pai123

Hello Pai

Thank you very much for leaving us such a fantastic review, we really appreciate it. Your comments have been passed to all departments.

As you say, the park does not deserve poor reviews and thankfully they are few and far between. We simply do not understand why some people choose to post them, when all the staff work really hard to make everyone feel welcome, as you experienced. However, we are all individuals and we can all have vastly different opinions on the same subject.

I am delighted to hear that you had a great time. Our returning customers are very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

We had a week stay for the first week of the Easter holidays and have had a fantastic time. We stayed in a privately owned cottage which was great but if we couldn't get that again we would still seriously consider booking direct. The camp itself is great and it was great to open the front door and have a wooded area in front of us. The kids enjoyed the pool though it was a little cool. The amusements kept them entertained at night along with the stripeys who were fantastic. If your kids are the kind to get involved they will love it at night. All of the staff were very friendly as well. The woodland walk is great and really makes you want to get outdoors and not just sit on your bum.
The location is brilliant and within no time at all you can get to so many places. St Ives is a beautiful place to visit but we were out somewhere every day.
Ive seen some of the pics of accommodation on here and it looks like some have been refurbished and there's a couple that still need doing but I wouldn't let that put you off.
Thanks for the holiday and we'll hopefully be back next year

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank potter07
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at St. Ives Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Hello Potter

What a wonderful review, thank you, we really appreciate it. Your praise will mean so much to the management and staff at the park.

Whether you book direct with us or through one of the many privately owned villas on the park, all clients are treated the same and our staff work hard to ensure that everyone has a great time.

We hope to welcome you again very soon.