“Recommended”

Ranked #33 of 101 St Ives B&B and Inns
England
“Recommended”
Reviewed 15 June 2010

Very clean guest house with modern decor. It is a 10 minute walk into the town, but 15 minutes on the return as it is uphill, but not as bad as some have made out. There is parking at the hotel which is useful in St Ives. We had room 2 which was bright with windows on three sides
Room facilities included shower, sofa, fridge, hairdryer, ample storage. The bed was a bit too soft though and the lights not bright enough to read by..
There was a pleasant deck for sitting in the sun or reading.
Breakfast was good with a buffet for cereal, yogurt, juice etc. and cooked items done to order.
Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
TheNookStives, Owner at The Nook, responded to this review, 12 July 2010
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your useful comments.

We have recently changed to energy efficient bulbs and it appears we may have underestimated the wattage requirements for the bedside lamps. We will change the bulbs in these lamps.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Reviewed 1 June 2010

Busy time of year so I chose The Nook as not many options and given the good feedback on Tripadviosor it felt a safe option but my reservation was it being too far out of town and for my preference it definitely was - I enjoyed the walk but not staying in a residential area (although other B&Bs around) - be warned that this is a very hilly/steep walk and much longer than the 5 minutes suggested - I don't want to rely on taxis during my holiday as being in the thick of things is what I enjoy and I do love walking but not to trek back after a day/night out.

The place itself was very clean but oddly my room wasn't made up the first day but someone had been in having left 'tea-tray biscuits' and emptied the bedroom bin, otherwise nothing was done to the bedroom & bathroom (I am clean/tidy but it's a normal thing to expect) - I was only aware of this after returing late in the day and could only advise the owners the next day (as they don't stay on the premises). Things were done as usual after that but no explanation/apology given, may too embarrassing at the time!

The breakfast was just okay but I really didnt like the time slot of 8.15-9.15am - this was unusual to me as hotel/b&B breakfasts can and do go up to 10/10.30am, and being an early rising commuter I would have preferred a later option. Check out time was 10am so perhaps wanting to avoid the clash but again other establishements manage.

I'm not sure I would stay here again only because it was just an okay all round experience for me and way too far out of town for me (although very clean place aside from my room issue above). It was my third stay in St Ives and my preferred hotel was fully booked and I missed it so much from the fantastic location just off the Porthminster beach (also view from the room), to the fantastic and plush decor, beautiful Ren bathroom products, excellent breakfasts, amazing staff and the all round uplifting experience and not for very much more in terms of cost per night - so I also have this as a reference/benchmark and I didn't expect the Nook to live up to that but given the choice I would go to my preferred place anytime for all the positive reasons above.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank FrankRose
TheNookStives, Owner at The Nook, responded to this review, 12 July 2010
Thank you for your feedback.

Obviously we are disappointed that you were not delighted with your stay. We are concerned that you feel we forgot to make up your room. As you are aware, there were a variety of fragile high value camera parts left on the bed and our staff are rightly reluctant to move delicate personal items. All other aspects of the normal cleaning were completed to the high standards that have been noted in our reviews.

We are on-site approximately 18 hours a day. In addition we provide a direct telephone line from the foyer to our mobile. We explain to all guests that we are only a few minutes away if they have any problems. I regret that you did not use this facility as we would have resolved your concerns immediately.

Our Breakfast times have evolved over the years to satisfy the needs of our guests. Our breakfasts are cooked to order. Our last order time is 9.15 am and we encourage guests to have a leisurely meal and many are still in the Breakfast Room enjoying additional toast and refreshments after 10.00 am.

We can appreciate that we are not in the centre of town overlooking the beach and our prices and marketing reflect this.
Norfolk
Reviewed 28 May 2010

Friendly reception, spotless rooms, excellent breakfast, free wi-fi in the rooms. It's a long way downhill to St Ives' centre - seems even longer and steeper on the way back up...

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
TheNookStives, Owner at The Nook, responded to this review, 12 July 2010
Thank you for your comments. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.
Reviewed 23 May 2010

It is a very clean B&B. And good value for money. The best thing is that it has parking space.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
TheNookStives, Owner at The Nook, responded to this review, 24 May 2010
Reviewed 2 May 2010

Well placed for galleries and access to St Ives. Excellent quality room and breakfast. Excellent service and cleanliness. Well worth booking a room with sofa. En-suite for our room was small but totally fine for average-sized people!

TheNookStives, Owner at The Nook, responded to this review, 3 May 2010
Thank you for your positive comments both here on Trip Advisor and during our discussions. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2010

A friendly welcome, and the room was clean and comfortable with some nice features. Quite expensive, though that seems to be a feature of St Ives accommodation in general, rather than The Nook in particular. The walk up from town is fine, though the novelty would soon wear off if you were to do it too many times in a day, so plan your stay accordingly!

TheNookStives, Owner at The Nook, responded to this review, 3 May 2010
Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay.
Dorset
Reviewed 9 April 2010

stayed three nights, can't say enough nice things about the Nook. Clean comfy room, excessively comfy bed, super breakfast and friendly hosts.. I'd stay again if I was St Ives bound again.
x

TheNookStives, Owner at The Nook, responded to this review, 3 May 2010
Thank you for your comments. We look forward to seeing you again if you are ever in St Ives.