“Worst place I've ever stayed!!!!! Avoid like the plague”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St Ives
No8 Windsor Terrace
Ranked #43 of 102 St Ives B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Worst place I've ever stayed!!!!! Avoid like the plague”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

I have never felt the need to write a review like this before but people must be warned!

I stayed here with my young son last week as a pre 5th birthday treat and No 8 Windsor pretty much ruined our trip! Roy, the owner was rude, condescending and could not have made us feel less welcome. My son had a small accident, completely out of character but hey these things happen with children, on our first night and when I told Roy the next day and apologised he was livid and proceeded to shout at me in front of my young Son?! That night I find that we have been left with one pillow only each (punishment, I don't know?!) and have had a thick sheet of tarpaulin like material put under our sheet with no attempt to make it comfortable. I got less that three hours sleep. Also a bag of clothes that had been separated from the rest as they needed to be laundered, that I had left in the room had been discarded. I actually did not even bother bringing it up as I knew they would not care! The room was dirty, the decor was tacky, no shower gel, flannels or shampoo was provided. On our second night there the water in our room ran BROWN! I unformed Roy that we were unable to wash and had no drinking water and asked if we could have some bottled water for the morning. His response- no and it should run clear by the morning! In other words, he did not care. Roy also felt the need to tell me 8 times (and I counted) that I must vacate the room by 10am. Even texting me half an hour before check out. This again made us feel very unwelcome.

We were promised a Tate pass and on the morning of the check out I asked for it and was again told- no! I even had trouble getting him to agree to keep a small travel bag and Trunkie there for the day so we could explore St Ives a bit more. Initially he would not agree to keeping them for more than two hours?!

I have stayed in 5 star hotels, your run of the mill B&B's and little shacks in Thailand, THIS IS THE WORST PLACE I'VE EVER STAYED! Go elsewhere!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Tyler21p

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

A little difficult to find at first as there is no street name at the entrance to the terrace. Beware the 25% hill to navigate as the terrace is halfway down on the right. A phone call brought Roy out to guide me in. Parking is a problem, as it is all over St Ives, but I was able to park for the duration of my 3 night stay. I had the back bedroom which comes with everything except a loo which is next door along the corridor. However a dressing gown is provided which is very thoughtful. Everything is provided to cater for yourself as in kettle, toaster, frig, milk, tea and coffee. A most welcome change to fried breakfasts at a B & B. Roy & Vicki are very welcoming and a good stay is very much assured. A bonus of this venue is that if you are wishing to visit Tate St Ives and the Barbara Hepworth garden, Roy can supply a guest pass which saves you quite a bit of money. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and will return. Sue

Room Tip: Bedroom 2 faces the back but is quiet
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

We just got back from a fantastic break in St Ives and were very lucky to find a last minute two night booking at this place.

The house is a three story georgian terrace which is beautifully decorated and furnished, we stayed in the second floor front room which has great views of the harbour.

Our room came with everything we needed including shower and bath, toaster, kettle with tea, coffee and fridge which came stocked with two san miguel beers and fresh milk, crockery and cutlery. We also used their DVD library on a rainy afternoon.

Will definitely recommend to friends as it couldn't be better.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Richard & Lisa.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013

I have never actually registered with trip advisor but wanted to write a review about no8 so much I am using my sisters. I stayed here last week with my boyfriend who has just moved to st Ives and couldn't have enjoyed it more. The perfect hosts who kindly offered to collect me from the station upon my arrival and the perfect view to relax and eat breakfast in front of. We stayed in the front room with a view and it was well worth it! I recommend to anyone!

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Somerset
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2013

We stayed for two nights with Roy and Vickie and they could not have been more accommodating. Roy was good enough to collect us and our bags from the station and dropped us off at the end of our stay. We had bedroom 2 which was very comfortable and had everything we needed. Minutes from town and a great base from which to explore.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Vicky D
Reading, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2013

thank you to Roy and Vicki for lovely hospitality and a great welcome at the Loft. The bedroom was beautifully done out and very comfortable. The position of this B and B cannot be beaten, so near the sea, yet quiet and peaceful too. Will definitely be returning!
Sally

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Derby, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the summer and decided to come back for the new year. This time round we had the bigger front room and we were not disappointed. The view from the bay window was fantastic and it was great to be able to watch out over the bay. The ensuite bathroom was another big plus. Of course Roy and Vicky were perfect hosts as always. Very helpful and friendly making the stay that bit more enjoyable and relaxing. Definitely staying here again, without any doubts.

• Stayed December 2012