“Terrible experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Beachbreak

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St Ives
Beachbreak
Ranked #95 of 102 St Ives B&B and Inns
Perth, Australia
“Terrible experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2008

I stayed here some time ago, but have only recently discovered tripadvisor and after reading JWTravels review was prompted to write of my own terrible experience.
We stayed a few years ago after the B&B was just opened. I too was taken in by their glitzy website and modern looking B&B. But from the review by JWTravels, it seems they have not improved since we stayed.
We too felt like we were intruding even though we were paying guests. We were suppose to stay for 3 nights, but left early, very upset by our experience and with no refund in sight.
Breakfast was fine, albeit very early because we were woken up by their toddler running and watching TV and then the father-in-law still building cabinets.
Things got worse that night when we returned from dinner and went to bed. We were awoken after midnight by the owners returning with their friends/family returning from a night out and making so much noise. So much so that I had to get up and say something, but nothing changed and suffice to say I did not sleep that night as I was so annoyed by the service or lack thereof and the disregard for their paying guests.
We should have packed up our things and left then and there in the middle of the night, because the next day when I said that we were leaving early and the reason why, the husband had the cheek to charge us and the wife did not even come down from her upstairs bedroom to discuss. I was furious.
I had stayed at B&B's all over the UK and this was by far the worst!

• Liked — Modern interior
  • Disliked — The hosts!
  • Stayed August 2005
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank PerthSchatzi

Families
Solo
Business
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2008

Had an awful stay here and am writing because I wish someone had given an open review of the place before I booked. Also don't be fooled by the high gloss website (and self promotion)which promises alot and gives the impression of a modern boutique hotel, it's far from it.

This property is a 15-20min walk up a steep road from the town. The entrance is not sign-posted and when you turn in to the driveway it feels like you have pulled up to someone's house (which sets the tone).

This is a bed and breakfast in the truest sense, i.e. you literally have a room in the owner's house. I have stayed in many B&B's throughout the UK and this was by far the least professional. The bedroom was ok but small and felt like a bedroom in someones house as opposed to a proper guest room. The bathroom again was ok but was unusually across the hall. Bear in mind this places charges only marginally less than the Porthminster Hotel which oozes old world charm with stunning views.

The most unfortunate thing for guests is that the so called communal guest areas (i.e. the tv/lounge room, breakfast area and balcony) are infact used by the family. Whilst we were there the hosts had their friends and children over for a bbq. They literally used all the communal areas and we were told that the tv was being used from 4-6pm so that the kids could watch their shows. When we returned from a meal in the town at 10pm, the host and their friends were all in front of the tv. They made us feel very awkward as we walked past them to get to our room next door (not even a courtesy hello or goodnight).

The lady host was not welcoming whatsoever (felt like we were intruding) and even though it is a B&B did not mention or provide breakfast the next morning. She was however very quick to point out the kitchen area was out of bounds to guests.

I am not exaggerating when I say it was the worst accommodation experience I have had. We left after one night and stayed at the Porthminster Hotel, which I would definitely return to again.

I hope this open and honest review is useful for other travellers.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Hosts
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9 Thank JWTravels

Travellers are raving about these St Ives hotels

Darlington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2007

Recently returned from a week in St Ives, Cornwall.

We stayed at the Beachbreak b&b on Trewidden Road. The b&b has three bedrooms, two with ensuite bathrooms, one with private bathroom. The bungalow is contemporary and has designer furniture. There is ample parking.

The owners Steve & Melissa (and small son Taylor) make you feel very welcome and can't do enough for you.

The breakfasts are fantastic with plenty of choice.

The b&b is only a three minute walk to St Ives itself, but a steep walk back up, but just what you need to walk off the breakfast!

We found St Ives to be a little too quiet for our liking but a beautiful place to visit. Our favourite beach was Porthminster.

Watch out for the demon seagulls - if you are eating near the harbour they don't think twice of attacking you for food.

The places we recommend to eat were:

Ocean Grill - fish restuarant on the sea front
Sims (opposite Guildhall)

• Liked — Contemporary furniture
  • Disliked — The walk back up to it.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple